Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2014 7:12:21 AM EDT
Been thinking of adding a couple of oil lanterns to my preps..We lose power here a couple of times a year for anywhere from several hours to several days at times.  I already have coleman lanterns (both canister and fuel), but i was thinking oil lanterns might be useful to have around also.

Less work (at least compared to the white gas colemans), less noise, etc..

Does anyone have these and are you happy with the light output?

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Good to have.  Nice to have warm light as opposed to harsh LEDs especially when lights go out and its very quiet.

They also provide a bit of heat too.
I brought several after hurricaine sandy and have have used them a couple of times in blackouts.  was kinda sad when the lights came back on too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Just no. For light only it makes no sense. LEDS are safer, brighter, overal better and more efficient. As for the heat, if that's what you need then go for a kero heater, some models have a glass body and put out some nice light, as well as allow you to heat up food, do some cooking even depending on the model.
Lanters make no sense at all with bright LEDS being a cheap and as efficient as they are. You even have warm, neutral or HCRI LEDs that render colors very well.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#3]
LED's
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just no. For light only it makes no sense. LEDS are safer, brighter, overal better and more efficient. As for the heat, if that's what you need then go for a kero heater, some models have a glass body and put out some nice light, as well as allow you to heat up food, do some cooking even depending on the model.
Lanters make no sense at all with bright LEDS being a cheap and as efficient as they are. You even have warm, neutral or HCRI LEDs that render colors very well.
FerFAL
View Quote

whatever
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm with Mr Jefferson... I like them, but have LEDs also...probably wouldn't recommend one if you have small children... as far as light, my small Feuerhand due to the excellent quality of the globe puts out light with less yellow tint than do my Dietz... I have two large font Dietz, a Little Wizard (shown) and larger Air Pilot... as Tom commented, I also have a HMN110 kero heater... the Feuerhand is about 3x the cost of the Dietz however

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm with TJ on this one.
Last spring I filled a beat up Dietz with citronella for deck use. My wife thought I was a genius. I didn't tell her that it wasn't an original idea.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I have several vintage Deitz lanterns that I have picked up at garage sales, both hot and cold blast.

They are great for outdoors, but a hurricane lamp will put out more usable light indoors.

I am gonna try that citronella idea.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a few, I think they have their place just like anything else. Check out WT Kirkman they have all different types incl Aladdin and Cosmos which are pretty good. I got one with a hotplate on top.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]

In the true spirit of being prepared, I have both Led and Oil lanterns.  

When the lights go out I grab the flashlight out of my pocket and use it to find the LED lanterns.  If it turns out to be an extended outage I fire up the small oil lamp.  If it goes longer than overnight then we move to generators, bigger oil lamps, 12 volt backup systems, etc.  

Edited to add that we also have some Coleman mantle type lanterns that work off the small propane bottles, or a "tree" on a big propane bottle.  We normally use those outside at night if a dark thirty repair is needed, but they have their place too.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a number of kerosene lanterns scattered around.  They are the revolvers of the emergency lighting options.  Simple and reliable.  You won't be doing brain surgery by the light of a lantern, but they do give long lasting and safe light on a very small amount of fuel.

Best of all is no batteries.

The LED and conventional flashlights are special purpose tools to be used when required and then shut off.

Candles aren't too bad, either.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#12]
this old KMart Dietz was resurrected as a citronella oil burner... my garage was home for most of the early evenings in 2004 power outage... raised the double door, moved the car out... moved a couple of camp chairs in...tailgate grill and fish cooker... hooked up the portable TV to a extra auto battery...and sit back until it cooled off.. we have pretty good mosquito control, but with all the rain and the threat of West Nile virus the candle and lantern did a good job in the relatively wind sheltered garage

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Lanterns are no where near as good as oil lamps in doors.  Lanterns put out more smell and less light. I have dozens of antique oil lamps for in the house. The lanterns are for outside.  

Leds are safer but they have no history and no soul. I like the light and heat of a nice antique oil lamp. I use more leds in the summer when its hot.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a dozen or so lanterns and oil lamps.  Greatest light in the world?  Of course not, they're brighter than a candle by far but way short of a flashlight turned on end.  Where they come into their own is how long they can burn on limited space and fuel and the heat they add in winter. Its pretty darn easy to store enough fuel for daily use for months when battery operated devices would be dead from lack of batteries.  Lamp oil/kerosene has an almost amazing shelf life as it relates to being a wick burning fuel.  We're not talking diesel here and a lot simpler device.

Tj
View Quote

I've got some Black Diamond LED lanterns that will go for 3 days straight on four AA batteries and you can store dozen of AA batteries in the same space as a gallon of oil.

However, running an oil lamp is a hell of a lot cheaper. A gallon of lamp oil is a few bucks, the equivalent volume in batteries is at least a hundred bucks.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I think oil / kerosene lanterns are a great item to have.

I have a dozen LED lanterns and tons of batteries, but really like the flexibility of using other light sources as well - oil lamps, oil lanterns, Coleman lanterns, etc.

Oil lamps are brighter for in the house than lanterns, and Colemans are way brighter than oil or LED lanterns. Even so, there are times you need to see what you are doing, but not be blinded by super bright light. Or perhaps you want to keep your presence more low-key than a super bright light would allow.

Lantern vs Coleman:

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

whatever
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FerFAL

whatever

Very convincing arguments.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#18]
We have five of the indoor style with clear glass shade that the wife was going to take to Goodwill before I interceded. We found them in the attic and they were her grandfathers. I'd rather have the Dietz style, but these were free and I keep them around just in case. I'm not sure if I missed it, but unlike batteries these never go bad.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I like oil lamps and lanterns just because I like em.

If starting on a budget I could possably see sticking with an led lantern for starters, especially with the battery sales recently.

In the summer, I like the led lantern more.

But in winter, I enjoy fire.

TJ puts it into words well.

When outside I do agree having some citronella in a lantern can help, a buddy prefers those tiki torch things but I find a couple lanterns easier.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Consider these............

votive candles, tea lights.

We brought 48 of these babies home from my daughter's wedding.

We've used them a few times in selected spots when the power has gone out.

You can pick them up a heck of a lot cheaper that they cost me.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://d28xhcgddm1buq.cloudfront.net/product-images/bio-lights-candles-renewable-plant-based-wax-48-candles-4_260.jpg

You can pick them up a heck of a lot cheaper that they cost me.

View Quote

I like the ones in the small foil cup. They go great with:
http://www.amazon.com/UCO-B-LTN-STD-RED-Micro-Lantern-Red/dp/B004BR2B0U/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1402953710&sr=1-1&keywords=uco+micro
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://d28xhcgddm1buq.cloudfront.net/product-images/bio-lights-candles-renewable-plant-based-wax-48-candles-4_260.jpg

You can pick them up a heck of a lot cheaper than they cost me.
View Quote

What you did there... See it I do.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I have two different solar battery lanterns.

THis one isn't the brightest or most durable, but works very well especially for the price.
http://www.amazon.com/d-light-Solar-Rechargeable-S20-Lantern/dp/B00BJELHS0

Some other interesting products from the same company:
http://www.dlightdesign.com/productline/

My other lantern is a cheap no brand marking from Wal Mart, far brighter and more durable and has the ability to charge from 12V car cord or a AC wall wart charger.

I have other lights but these get the most use, and I totally get the batteries won't last forever.

AA and AAA rechargeable and a solar charger would also be another good option.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Good point and even a convincing point if all you have is an LED lantern that uses batteries.  The problem is when there's a prolonged outage there's hundreds of better uses for those batteries than simply moving about or background light.  I seriously have an old RockRiver LED lantern, I was turned onto by this forum, God what 10 years ago now, that I use every night I'm home as a night light.  Its still going strong.  My wife goes to bed before me and its my instant turn on low light, don't wake her, option.  I run it for a few minutes to get undressed etc. then shut it off.  It beats the hall out of a oil lamp for that.  I even have some crank LED lanterns, which work fantastic for a few minutes of light before bed that I use camping so I don't have to worry about dead batteries.  Heck, I even have single AA high output flashlights that you turn on, sit it upside down, makes a hell of a room light, not even to mention drawers of flashlights from Surefire to headlamps that date back to the old Rayovac 3 in 1. I probably have a dozen ways to recharge batteries.  I buy batteries by the case from NiMh rechargeables to CR123s.  Heck, I even have a close friend who represents a major batter company that gives me an annual care package for free.  

Still when I'm looking for a low level light that I can turn on and forget for hours upon end, that's an oil lamp or lantern.  Its not just pennies per hour but hours before having to mess with it.  These things are like electric lights, light them up, leave them on, till you go to bed.  When you use kerosene as both an axillary stove fuel axillary heat source, the fuel used to operate a couple lamps is almost negligible. Its like you plan for those, the lamp is almost a freebee.  Like I posted, its a hard to beat augmentation to other preps.  

A good rule of thumb is any energy source, fuel or battery, we store, its best to have as many options utilizing it as possible.  Alcohol, for example, is another fuel I really like.  It has no shelf life, nothing burns cleaner, and besides cooking etc., it has hundreds of uses from solvent to antiseptic. Two or three gallons, goes a very long way.  

In regards to the comment on candles, oh man, do we buy and use candles too.  The Holiday season is candle time.  There's seasonal sales and right after Christmas simply fantastic clearance buys.  We have candle holders, candle lamps, and candle lanterns from UCO (both types) to old school Revolutionary War types.  I've lived through two long term power outages, one blizzard and one hurricane, and both times, I was amazed when folks would tell me their flashlights were dead when I ask them "Do you have birthday candles?" how shocked they were.  Candles have no shelf life.  You just throw them in a drawer or a box and forget about them till needed.  Light enough of them, it'll not only heat a room in winter but light it up like an electric light.  

You can't talk candles without saying, nothing sets the mood for a romantic night with the Mrs better than a candle except a bear rug in front of a fireplace and two champagne glasses.  

We're extremely fond of glass jar candles.  We burn one every night this time of year.  Scented is good especially pine when using an artificial Christmas tree.  We even have an old wine bottle with over 40 years of melted wax on it.  Hell of a thing to see with more memories in it than a digital hard drive.  We could probably make a dozen candles from the melted wax.  I can't even begin to tell you how many candles we have in my house.  We buy the tea candles by the bags.  

You collect enough of this stuff, things like candles and lamp oil become purchase at opportunity type things.  You buy them when you run across them and the deal is good.  

This preparedness thing is a lifestyle thing, a way of living.  Do it right, you sue this stuff all the time.  You appreciate it all the time and it pays big time dividends when you actually need them.  

My pride and joy is a 3 gallon lamp oil can.  We searched high and low till we found one.  They're the cans that besides a screw top wide opening have a spout for filling lamps.  Mine I keep nothing but high grade liquid paraffin in.  Note here, you can't tell high grade until you burn some.  If it smells like a candle burning, it goes in my can.  Another really neat lantern is a yacht lamp.  We got into this boating which cabins on boats are water tight and fumes a really big deal.  Small lamps, they use round wicks just for paraffin.  They burn hours upon hours on once ounce of fuel.  They're a favorite for long distance sailors.  A gallon of fuel, you can cross an ocean.

Tj

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a dozen or so lanterns and oil lamps.  Greatest light in the world?  Of course not, they're brighter than a candle by far but way short of a flashlight turned on end.  Where they come into their own is how long they can burn on limited space and fuel and the heat they add in winter. Its pretty darn easy to store enough fuel for daily use for months when battery operated devices would be dead from lack of batteries.  Lamp oil/kerosene has an almost amazing shelf life as it relates to being a wick burning fuel.  We're not talking diesel here and a lot simpler device.

Tj

I've got some Black Diamond LED lanterns that will go for 3 days straight on four AA batteries and you can store dozen of AA batteries in the same space as a gallon of oil.

However, running an oil lamp is a hell of a lot cheaper. A gallon of lamp oil is a few bucks, the equivalent volume in batteries is at least a hundred bucks.

Good point and even a convincing point if all you have is an LED lantern that uses batteries.  The problem is when there's a prolonged outage there's hundreds of better uses for those batteries than simply moving about or background light.  I seriously have an old RockRiver LED lantern, I was turned onto by this forum, God what 10 years ago now, that I use every night I'm home as a night light.  Its still going strong.  My wife goes to bed before me and its my instant turn on low light, don't wake her, option.  I run it for a few minutes to get undressed etc. then shut it off.  It beats the hall out of a oil lamp for that.  I even have some crank LED lanterns, which work fantastic for a few minutes of light before bed that I use camping so I don't have to worry about dead batteries.  Heck, I even have single AA high output flashlights that you turn on, sit it upside down, makes a hell of a room light, not even to mention drawers of flashlights from Surefire to headlamps that date back to the old Rayovac 3 in 1. I probably have a dozen ways to recharge batteries.  I buy batteries by the case from NiMh rechargeables to CR123s.  Heck, I even have a close friend who represents a major batter company that gives me an annual care package for free.  

Still when I'm looking for a low level light that I can turn on and forget for hours upon end, that's an oil lamp or lantern.  Its not just pennies per hour but hours before having to mess with it.  These things are like electric lights, light them up, leave them on, till you go to bed.  When you use kerosene as both an axillary stove fuel axillary heat source, the fuel used to operate a couple lamps is almost negligible. Its like you plan for those, the lamp is almost a freebee.  Like I posted, its a hard to beat augmentation to other preps.  

A good rule of thumb is any energy source, fuel or battery, we store, its best to have as many options utilizing it as possible.  Alcohol, for example, is another fuel I really like.  It has no shelf life, nothing burns cleaner, and besides cooking etc., it has hundreds of uses from solvent to antiseptic. Two or three gallons, goes a very long way.  

In regards to the comment on candles, oh man, do we buy and use candles too.  The Holiday season is candle time.  There's seasonal sales and right after Christmas simply fantastic clearance buys.  We have candle holders, candle lamps, and candle lanterns from UCO (both types) to old school Revolutionary War types.  I've lived through two long term power outages, one blizzard and one hurricane, and both times, I was amazed when folks would tell me their flashlights were dead when I ask them "Do you have birthday candles?" how shocked they were.  Candles have no shelf life.  You just throw them in a drawer or a box and forget about them till needed.  Light enough of them, it'll not only heat a room in winter but light it up like an electric light.  

You can't talk candles without saying, nothing sets the mood for a romantic night with the Mrs better than a candle except a bear rug in front of a fireplace and two champagne glasses.  

We're extremely fond of glass jar candles.  We burn one every night this time of year.  Scented is good especially pine when using an artificial Christmas tree.  We even have an old wine bottle with over 40 years of melted wax on it.  Hell of a thing to see with more memories in it than a digital hard drive.  We could probably make a dozen candles from the melted wax.  I can't even begin to tell you how many candles we have in my house.  We buy the tea candles by the bags.  

You collect enough of this stuff, things like candles and lamp oil become purchase at opportunity type things.  You buy them when you run across them and the deal is good.  

This preparedness thing is a lifestyle thing, a way of living.  Do it right, you sue this stuff all the time.  You appreciate it all the time and it pays big time dividends when you actually need them.  

My pride and joy is a 3 gallon lamp oil can.  We searched high and low till we found one.  They're the cans that besides a screw top wide opening have a spout for filling lamps.  Mine I keep nothing but high grade liquid paraffin in.  Note here, you can't tell high grade until you burn some.  If it smells like a candle burning, it goes in my can.  Another really neat lantern is a yacht lamp.  We got into this boating which cabins on boats are water tight and fumes a really big deal.  Small lamps, they use round wicks just for paraffin.  They burn hours upon hours on once ounce of fuel.  They're a favorite for long distance sailors.  A gallon of fuel, you can cross an ocean.

Tj

Good stuff there TJ. I've got a ton of kerosene becuase that's what we use here for central heating, so it makes even more sense to have a backup that uses the same fuel. We could easily go all winter with half a tank if using it on a couple kero heaters. We used candles a lot when I was a kid. Pre-LED flashlight tech just ate up batteries. I did have one of those tube lights that used 4xAA, that was pretty good on batteries. But other than that, you just went to the designated candle drawer in the kitchen which was always stacked with candles and started to lit them up. Hell, we had candle holder and I remember at least one brass candelabrum with three arms, not for decoration but for actually using during power outages. We have plenty of tea lights and other candles, most of the time the nicer scented type, but for I ,like good LEDs better, mostly the warm or neutral white ones. With enough rechargable batteries floating around its almost free to use. I've got one of those Waka Waka power Lanter/solar panel gadgets, now that thing IS free to run, and puts out some nice light.
Little seasonal lighting tip: Check around stores for christmas LED lights running on 2xAA batteries. They put out a nice ambient light, actually pretty cheerful compared to a common lantern, and you can find them these days for a couple bucks.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:11:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok...

So in terms of quality...

Current production Dietz, or W.T. Kirkhams?  There seem to be a few reports of Dietz quality lacking...
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a few lamps and lanterns.  Grew up with Aladdin type oil lamps in the house, and we always fired 'em up during a power outage.  They were a nice set-it-and-forget it item that doubles as a decorative piece.  We kept a couple on the mantle and a few scattered elsewhere.  Didn't have to worry about batteries leaking or going bad or anything.  Just make sure you don't set the house on fire.  

I currently have both LEDs and oil/kerosene lamps, though. It's nice to have options.  I have a couple of the Rayovac Sportsmans lanterns and an Energizer folding lantern thing, and they're easy to just grab and flick on and move around when you need some quick light.

I have a few old glass oil lamps and a couple of cheap Walmart lamps.  The older ones are nicer, but the cheap ones work good enough.

I have three lanterns, all purchased from LanternNet.com.  Two Dietz and one WT Kirkman.  I think the quality is equal on the three.  The Kirkman is probably a little more robust.  They're all made in China, probably in the same factory, if I had to guess.  The Kirkman is just made to Kirkman's specs.  The Kirkman has a more robust globe and an unpainted galvanized finish.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When the lights go out I grab the flashlight out of my pocket and use it to find the LED lanterns.  If it turns out to be an extended outage I fire up the small oil lamp.  If it goes longer than overnight then we move to generators, bigger oil lamps, 12 volt backup systems, etc.  

Edited to add that we also have some Coleman mantle type lanterns that work off the small propane bottles, or a "tree" on a big propane bottle.  We normally use those outside at night if a dark thirty repair is needed, but they have their place too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Amen

ETA:
Quoted:
Leds are safer but they have no history and no soul. I like the light and heat of a nice antique oil lamp. I use more leds in the summer when its hot.

Amen again

The day before Thanksgiving last week a modest winter storm knocked out our grid power for 2½ days. As with most of you, a utility outage of that duration is a non-event for us. The biggest hardship we had to face was coping with 3g cellular Internet speeds after Comcast went down. Netflix streaming can be a real inconvenience when it's buffering, and my daughter's multiplayer video game was laggy as hell

Despite having ample backup power, we always enjoy the ambiance of a Dietz lantern or two - it makes us feel like we're camping. Since my wife is sensitive to the odor of kerosene I burn liquid paraffin in ours. After suffering through less-than-optimal Internet throughput for 2½ days, the warm glow from our little Dietz lanterns was exactly what we needed

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#29]
My aunt and uncle mostly never use it for real, it is a decoration.  What I am talking about is a wall mount wooden holder that holds a regular inside type oil lamp.  I think the oil in it is original from when they put it up once the house was built.

Anyway, this holder safely holds a regular oil lamp on the wall.

This helps get the light spread out well for the area it is in and no worries about an animal or kid knocking it off the table.

I have seen similar items in the amish catalog, lehaman's.

I have everything from cheap walmart stuff to pretty nice old stuff found at a garage sale.

Some of the walmart metal stuff can leak right off the bat, this is more for the all metal dietz type stuff with the metal base.  There were old threads about it and people used thick paint or gas tank sealer to fix the issue I believe.

I either deal with a place on the net I trust or I handle these before purchase.

I would only buy the quality ones with the heavy duty finish because I want things to last and I am a clutz so things will take some bumping and banging.

If you have a place to hang it and never touch it other than refilling it, you might do fine with both.

I take mine with me now and then when going car camping or something so that is where the bumping and banging comes into play.

And once I started looking for the older used stuff at garage sales or antique stores and what not I ran into more and more of it, more than I wanted to buy really.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have a dozen or so lanterns and oil lamps.  Greatest light in the world?  Of course not, they're brighter than a candle by far but way short of a flashlight turned on end.  Where they come into their own is how long they can burn on limited space and fuel and the heat they add in winter.  Its pretty darn easy to store enough fuel for daily use for months when battery operated devices would be dead from lack of batteries.  Lamp oil/kerosene has an almost amazing shelf life as it relates to being a wick burning fuel.  We're not talking diesel here and a lot simpler device.  

Now whether it makes sense to simply go out and buy an oil lam or not, depends.  Many of us who use oil lamps have kerosene stove heat backups.  We're already storing kerosene and as many different applications you have for a fuel you are already storing, the better off you are.  Yep, we have gasoline lanterns too.  I'll take you a step farther, I have more than one cook stove that burns kerosene.  

Heck, I have the Dietz lantern with the cook pot, an old time railroad favorite, for heating soups or bowl type cooking.  Try that on an LED lantern.  

In summer, I have a couple lanterns I have designated for outdoor use and citronella oil which is on very high output source of bug away.  

During winter, one will take the chill out of good size room allowing you to lower your thermostat setting and in the case of using backup heat make a living space comfortable instead of huddle cold.  Its that slight edge.  Obviously, the opposite is also true.  In summer, its going to add heat but then not all of us live in dare not open the windows areas either.

Lanterns are a fantastic option on wilderness adventures when its too wet to easily make a campfire, too hot to,  or campfires are forbidden.  They also using a low fume fuel like liquid parrafin are a great heat up a tent option.  

All in all its a fantastic augmentation to your survival needs but its simply not a primary.  You are not going to clear a house well with an oil lamp or shine the light off into a distance.  Certainly you can read by them but its not easy as flipping a light switch.  Its not going to replace your flashlight or for that matter a nice LED lantern.  

BTW, The one you pictured is a monster.  About as much light output as a single flame shaped lightbulb but uses on big ass wick that limits your fuel options to just kerosene and puts out enough heat to not take the edge off a room but heat it.  I use mine on a porch.  I would recommend the Dietz Original or the Oil Lantern Cooker.  The cooker btw was used by railroad men years ago to hat their lunches.  As a cooking source, they're a lot like cooking on a Sterno stove, slow but it works.  They come with a regular top so it looks like any other lantern until you need the cooking function and they also come with their own mess kit, but you aren't limited to that mess kit.  

Tj
View Quote

Those are great.  Kinda fun to use too.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The UCO camping candle lights can be retrofitted with a wicked oil insert, and it works pretty well.

View Quote

Do you have a link for these?

TIA.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I recently got two of the $6 glass oil lamps from Walmart. One is put away. The other is on the table in my LR I use as a writing table. Somehow the base of the burner (right above where it screws onto glass base is crooked. Somehow I didn't notice this in the store. Burns fine, although it's the leaning tower of oil lamp. Eh, it works. I've had several evenings where I shut off the lights and read/wrote by the lamp. It worked just fine. Enough light for me. Illumines my small LR just the right amount.

I'll have to look for the Dietz one with the cooker top.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Just as an aside, beware of using the wrong wick in the Feuer Hand lanterns.  If you try to use a standard replacement wick (#1 I think is the size) the gear on the burner will strip.  Standard wicks are thicker than those used in the Feuer Hand.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I have some cheap versions I bought a way back for light when eating outdoors.  I just realized now that during Sandy I never even thought of using them because I have the little Coleman LED lanterns.  I agree they give a nice ambiance, but when the power is out I'd rather have something with less (i.e. nothing) to worry about.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:29:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Go for it.  Everything has it's place, everything has it's limits.  

LED's are bright, cool and safe, kerosene is dim but warm.   I really like propane lanterns - they are very bright and put out a lot of heat.  Candles are great for spot lighting.  Burning anything indoors requires vigilance, which is why battery powered lanterns can be nice.   But batteries die.   Kerosene stores well and burns slow.  It's easy to store enough to last a long time.   Propane burns much faster, is harder to store and has an explosion hazard.   Candles blow out easily and can't be refilled.  

Have some of everything on hand because at least one of them will be perfect for whatever happens.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Go for it.  Everything has it's place, everything has it's limits.  

LED's are bright, cool and safe, kerosene is dim but warm...
View Quote

Kero can be very bright and quiet if you use an Aladdin type lantern.  Very bright and noisy if you use a pressure lantern that uses it (Coleman kero or Petromax). The ability to store kero long term with little problem is a real advantage IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FerFAL
View Quote

Cannot agree.

Lanterns are simple, effective, and quite frankly enjoyable.

At my cabin I will often not run the generator at night and just run a lantern or two. There is a certain ambiance to spending time by a wood stove, and enjoying a conversation  or reading by lantern light.

Plus you can store the fuel almost indefinitely.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

FerFAL
View Quote

Yep, useless.

Pic taken last week at deer camp. The extra light and heat were welcome.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lanterns are no where near as good as oil lamps in doors.  Lanterns put out more smell and less light. I have dozens of antique oil lamps for in the house. The lanterns are for outside.  

View Quote

Pretty much going to post the same thing.  But I like to be diversified in my lighting choices.  So I actually have a mix of multifuel lanterns, oil lamps, led lanterns, propane lanterns, etc....They all have their place...heck even candles.

Choices are good.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Pretty much going to post the same thing.  But I like to be diversified in my lighting choices.  So I actually have a mix of multifuel lanterns, oil lamps, led lanterns, propane lanterns, etc....They all have their place...heck even candles.

Choices are good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choices are good.

I have oil lamps, oil lanterns,  propane lanterns, and zillions of leds.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choices are good.

Speaking of LEDs, I have really enjoyed the streamlight LED lantern...I believe its called "the siege".  It got a lot of use this year.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I recently got two of the $6 glass oil lamps from Walmart. One is put away. The other is on the table in my LR I use as a writing table. Somehow the base of the burner (right above where it screws onto glass base is crooked. Somehow I didn't notice this in the store. Burns fine, although it's the leaning tower of oil lamp. Eh, it works. I've had several evenings where I shut off the lights and read/wrote by the lamp. It worked just fine. Enough light for me. Illumines my small LR just the right amount.

I'll have to look for the Dietz one with the cooker top.
View Quote

Marie,

I saw the same thing when i looked at those lamps in the boxes last year.  All of them were crooked.  I am not sure if it was the glass threaded area of the base is rarely square or the metal part was off.  My bet is it is the glass that is off.  Would it matter? Probably not.  One thing I read that troubled me is some people complained that the chimneys had not been of the proper temper for heat and were breaking easily.  

[eta- another criticism I read is the cooker topped dietz doesn't heat your food all that hot or all that fast, I have no personal experience to say one way or the other]

it's always better to have options.  I could stand to expand my non heat creating lighting options for summer; ie LED lanterns.

I have over a half a dozen dietz style lanterns, finally bought an Aladdin this year, and a shopping bag of candles and a candle lantern.  Then about a half a dozen flashlights, a couple LED headlamps and a pair of coleman lanterns, oh, and I have UCO lanterns too.  The other item i feel the need for is one or two K1 tower heaters.  I have a woodstove but that needs more tending than a K1 tower.  I also have a small Honda generator.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Been thinking of adding a couple of oil lanterns to my preps..We lose power here a couple of times a year for anywhere from several hours to several days at times.  I already have coleman lanterns (both canister and fuel), but i was thinking oil lanterns might be useful to have around also.

Less work (at least compared to the white gas colemans), less noise, etc..

Does anyone have these and are you happy with the light output?

https://eeab6763ea6670f7f7cf2a23-readymaderesourc.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/p-17618-69856.jpg
View Quote

Happy, well, that has to be qualified...

As an antiquated fossil fuel burning device, probably nothing is as convenient, with an arguably dim light output, as a kero lantern.

Next step up is a pressurized kero burning lantern with a mantel -that's fragile and a lot more work.

We have kero burning lights, oil lamps and Aladdin ones with the mantles...

However, a few good LED flashlights, a small stock of batteries for a few bucks...

Will run circles around any kero burning light source in terms of utility, convenience, safety, brightness, directed light, instant on, off, etc, etc.

There's no comparison.

Other than romantic issues, fossil fueled devices have gone the way of buggy whips, with inexpensive solar panels and rechargeable batteries and all sorts of extremely efficient LED lighting taking their place -----------in spades.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm firmly in the oil lamp camp.

I found 6 of them in a yard sale for $1 apiece. One was damaged beyond repair and two were the larger glass ones.

I bought one gallon of lamp oil and use them regularly.

Surprisingly bright when it's dark out. Easy to care for. Simple and safe.

I have propane lanterns also and they are good if I need a little more light.  For me about 95% of what I need light for they are very good at providing.

But I live in the woods and don't really like the bright annoying light that artificial bulbs/LED offers.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You only have a half dozen flashlights?  

Man, do you need to catch up my friend.

I often think I'm off the deep end of flashlight crazy.
View Quote

You aren't the only one ;)

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You only have a half dozen flashlights?  

Man, do you need to catch up my friend.

I often think I'm off the deep end of flashlight crazy.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top