Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2014 8:42:52 PM EDT
I hope the GD rules don’t apply here, as I won’t be able to supply a photo of my wife.

I’m looking for recommendations on a good quality aluminum collapsible emergency snow shovel that my wife can carry in the trunk of her car.

We have AAA Towing, so she will not be trying to dig herself out of a ditch.  The main purpose she wants to keep this in the trunk of her car is in case she gets stuck at the end of our driveway from the mess the County leaves when they plow.

I travel often for business, so she would feel better if she had something to try and to use in this scenario if I am out of town and unable to come to the rescue.

Not looking to spend over $100 on this, and hoping to spend about $50-$60 for something decent quality which might actually work if she needs it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SIR91A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one and it seems pretty well made.   It is small though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to step up to a USA made shovel get one of the T6 heat treated shovels from Voile.  It's within your budget.  I have one the the D-handles ones.  It lives in the truck all winter when I'm not backcountry skiing.

http://www.voile.com/voile-avalanche-shovels.html
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Volle
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if you saw this thread, but there were some good suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Not really a snow shovel but I keep Cold Steel SF shovels in both mine and my wife Jeep.  Small shovel so it doesn't take up much room, probably be time consuming trying to shovel copious amounts of snow with it but its strong enough you could do some ice chipping if needed.  Its more of a utility shovel then snow shovel though.  We keep them in our Jeeps year round.
$15 @ Wal-Mart site to store.  You can pick up one of the sheaths for cheap on Ebay as well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:37:37 AM EDT
[#6]
An E-Tool from a surplus store will do you fine.  They're tough and while the spade is small they can move a lot of snow/dirt in a hurry.  You won't be shoveling your walkways with it but it will be plenty to clear our some snow from under the wheels.  It also has the added benefit of being able to angle the shovel at 90* and reach under the car with it if you high center it on some hard packed snow and need to dig out from under the vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one of these in my trunk. It is sturdy enough to do heavy work but small enough to fit in a trunk easily.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Are we talking about YOUR driveway?  Or just "a driveway"?

Why not pre-position a shovel near the end of the driveway?

She's going to get sloppy wet and full of snow anyway (getting stuck, she tried to drive through and got part way) so stepping off the drive to get a shovel tied to a tree isn't going to cause much additional problem.  Plus she's close to home if she does get wet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top