Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2014 3:26:53 PM EDT
Where can one buy wool shirts and pants, like sweatpants and thermals? Seems to me everything is fake or a cotton blend nowadays.
Would prefer it be not rough spun but any option is open.

None of that $130 smart wool, please. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
www.woolrich.com
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
www.woolrich.com
View Quote

Appreciate it but $100 per shirt is not in my budget.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quality costs money nowadays.  You probably won't find $5 wool clothing anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you find fabric and sew some up yourself?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quality costs money nowadays.  You probably won't find $5 wool clothing anywhere.
View Quote

I understand. And supply of finished articles would surely be down since cotton and polyester have taken over the clothing world since the 1800s and 1900s. I'd like simple shirts and simple pants preferably with a couple pockets. Nothing fancy, nothing designer. I use my stuff, I don't need to show it off. The site listed a few above only had 6 or so actual 100% wool and they looked hipster like.

Rat - I thought about that. I think a good first step is buying wool blankets if anyone has a source for that. 72"x72"  or thereabouts would be nice. I could try to take up sewing down the road so it's an option.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been collecting wool blankets for the last couple years simply to use as stock to make clothing from.

Good, inexpensive wool is gone for the most part.  Good, cheap surplus blankets are gone.  Good blankets can be had, but they're no longer cheap.  Italian officers blankets are excellent, but are soaked in ammonia and take multiple washings/airing out to get so they don't choke you to death.

I now have a pile of wool stock from watching Ebay that I'm too scared to cut up and sew on until I get some more practice.

Either you're size small and you can still find military surplus wool clothing, or you make it yourself, or, you pay quite highly for the good stuff still being made.

Filson
Empire Wool and Canvas
Johnson Woolen Mills
Bemidji Woolen Mills
etc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Where did all the sheep go :D

I mean people still shear the critters, there's gotta be wool out there. :)
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Cruise the goodwill stores, you can get grandpas old hunting pants and jacket for a good price, or even old wool dress pants.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's there, but when the demand dwindled, the labor involved really didn't dwindle with it.  There's no longer any economy of scale for wool outerwear.  That's why the prices are so high, and the only real viable options are the high quality high expense ones.  Without economy of scale, there is no room for the mid-level compete on price operations.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
If function is all you are concerned with these are two of the best deals currently.

M1951 GI wool shirt. 80/20 wool/nylon xsmall through large sizes new.

Swedish wool cargo pants 100% heavy wool

I have and use both.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#11]
love wool and  most my hunting gear is now wool.

I want to slowly transition my everyday wear to wool but due to it being expensive I'll have to phase it in 1-2 items per year.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's there, but when the demand dwindled, the labor involved really didn't dwindle with it.  There's no longer any economy of scale for wool outerwear.  That's why the prices are so high, and the only real viable options are the high quality high expense ones.  Without economy of scale, there is no room for the mid-level compete on price operations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the sad truth, if you want inexpensive wool your best bet is to scour surplus stores. These guys have a section just for wool stuff, some are better than others. Goodwill, older mens stores, and unfortunately stores that cater to hipsters should net you some success. Good luck, I bit the bullet and started buying good shit and havent regretted it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Sierra Trading Post is good to check into sometimes for these.

I've picked up some good deals on merino & silk base layers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thrift stores, garage sales and surplus stores maybe.  Good wool is surprisingly expensive per yard and so the clothing isn't cheap. Some of the very, very nice wools are getting harder and harder to get too, fewer places make them.

I buy these from a factory outlet, sometimes as a longsleeved t shirt or alone as a shirt:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/duofold-2-layer-merino-wool-blend-henley-shirt-long-sleeve-for-men~p~13481/  they are out but if you search around you can find them here and there.

they are about the cheapest "wool" shirt out there.  They wear well, some of mine were bought in the 1990s and they get worn a lot in the winter.

otherwise try:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sir-pendleton

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll never figger this out.

With sooo many Sheep in the US right now and adding more every day... Being constantly sheared in all sorts of ways...

I'd think wool would be a low cost commodity...

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

With sooo many Sheep in the US right now and adding more every day...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raw wool is relatively inexpensive.  It's like I said previously however, the demand for wool outerwear is low.  There's no economy of scale necessary to produce lower priced articles.  The raw wool being generated is being consumed by the other markets: high end blankets, dress clothing, etc.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're looking for wool undergarments, I can vouch for Woolly t-shirts. I own four, about $130 investment, and routinely go a week in the same one. Granted, most of the time I work in an office so that isn't much of a stretch but I also travel, a lot. We got back from Portugal about three weeks ago from a two week trip. I took two wool t-shirts. They both smelled fine when we got back and we were walking 8 to 10 miles per day on average.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#18]
As many have said, thrift stores are great place for wool. I've pulled more than a few Pendleton shirts out of them for about $5 a pop.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#19]
In many respects the older garments from surplus or thrift stores might even be made from wool that is no longer manufactured or is very expensive.  If you look at Navy issue pea coats you can really see the quality of the wool change.  The older ones from at least WWII and earlier were made of some wool that was so tightly woven it was practically wind and waterproof.  Nowadays wool like that would be $50++ a yard.  Some other wools are simply extinct nowadays.  Back in the old days wool was an every day fabric, not just a fall and winter one so there was far more variety in type and quality available.

Even at the height of our industrialization our fabric industry didn't have all the types of wool available, England really ruled the woolen mill world with regard to quality.  Nowadays most of their, and our mills have been shut down and the machines sold off to the 3rd world or scrapped.  Try and find a good woolen broadcloth today... Hainsworth is probably one of the few left making that once common cloth. http://www.hainsworth.co.uk/
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Raw wool is relatively inexpensive.  It's like I said previously however, the demand for wool outerwear is low.  There's no economy of scale necessary to produce lower priced articles.  The raw wool being generated is being consumed by the other markets: high end blankets, dress clothing, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Living in the middle of cotton fields, with as cheap as cotton is and all the machinery set up to make garments in third world countries for pennies a day, it is simple economies of scale. There's no denying that.

That said, I figure there'd STILL be some source for wool as it is traditionally a cheap, easy to make garment even if you have to go foreign. I guess cotton is so available and cheap even the poorest of the poor can get it across the globe.

Maybe I can source some wholesale bolts of wool. IDK, I don't need much but it seems an interesting concept.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In many respects the older garments from surplus or thrift stores might even be made from wool that is no longer manufactured or is very expensive.  If you look at Navy issue pea coats you can really see the quality of the wool change.  The older ones from at least WWII and earlier were made of some wool that was so tightly woven it was practically wind and waterproof.  Nowadays wool like that would be $50++ a yard.  Some other wools are simply extinct nowadays.  Back in the old days wool was an every day fabric, not just a fall and winter one so there was far more variety in type and quality available.

Even at the height of our industrialization our fabric industry didn't have all the types of wool available, England really ruled the woolen mill world with regard to quality.  Nowadays most of their, and our mills have been shut down and the machines sold off to the 3rd world or scrapped.  Try and find a good woolen broadcloth today... Hainsworth is probably one of the few left making that once common cloth. http://www.hainsworth.co.uk/
View Quote

Thank you. Informative and piques my curiosity. Not that there aren't hundreds of other materials out there but it seems odd that this one (probably one of the most popular through civilization) seems to have fallen to the wayside.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I see wool shirts, pants, and coats in surplus stores.  I don't know what quality of wool they are, but the prices are low.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thank you. Informative and piques my curiosity. Not that there aren't hundreds of other materials out there but it seems odd that this one (probably one of the most popular through civilization) seems to have fallen to the wayside.
View Quote

Eh, it is just one of those things that has changed over time.  Look at WWII or WWII american soldiers in Europe(and most of the continental USA)  wore wool uniforms year 'round.  In the Civil War? Wool.  American Revolution? Wool./  It was THE go to fabric year round for everything but the most tropical climates.  Nowadays if you wore a wool suit in August in Maine pr Michigan or Washington state most people would think you are nuts.   It just isn't the everyday fabric it once was- people now think of it as a winter only proposition.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Living in the middle of cotton fields, with as cheap as cotton is and all the machinery set up to make garments in third world countries for pennies a day, it is simple economies of scale. There's no denying that.

That said, I figure there'd STILL be some source for wool as it is traditionally a cheap, easy to make garment even if you have to go foreign. I guess cotton is so available and cheap even the poorest of the poor can get it across the globe.

Maybe I can source some wholesale bolts of wool. IDK, I don't need much but it seems an interesting concept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can point you to millions of Sheep, it's easy as pie to pull the wool over their eyes...  

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#25]
steepandcheap

Has Wool on there at 30-50% off usually a few times a week.  Stoic is the off brand with the best prices but they have ibex, icebreaker, and smart wool cheaper than most sites.

ETA whole category of merino wool as of 11-21

Also good will usually has merino sweaters for under $10.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
steepandcheap

Has Wool on there at 30-50% off usually a few times a week.  Stoic is the off brand with the best prices but they have ibex, icebreaker, and smart wool cheaper than most sites.

ETA whole category of merino wool as of 11-21

Also good will usually has merino sweaters for under $10.
View Quote

Well, a mix of wool is inevitable. Thanks for that. I might grab that  for some athletic stuff in general. Still pricey but a bit better than retail.

I'll have to check some surplus stores too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sierra Trading Post is good to check into sometimes for these.

I've picked up some good deals on merino & silk base layers.
View Quote

This. Paid 15 bucks plus tax for merino wool base layer bottoms.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Cabela's has some nice, heavy wool shirts (I wear 'em like light jackets).  Haven't tried their pants.

Shirt.

Pants.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Holy crap, Cabelas is having an awesome sale right now.  I haven't looked at them in a while.

I'm getting one of the shirts you linked (in 2XL Tall), a lambswool sweater, and 24 oz dryplus wool bibs for $220 shipped.  Free shipping and extra 10% off the sale prices with 114GEAR code.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Holy crap, Cabelas is having an awesome sale right now.  I haven't looked at them in a while.

I'm getting one of the shirts you linked (in 2XL Tall), a lambswool sweater, and 24 oz dryplus wool bibs for $220 shipped.  Free shipping and extra 10% off the sale prices with 114GEAR code.

View Quote

Received my items from Cabelas.  They're great considering the prices.  The 100% lambswool sweater is very soft, great layering garment.  The shirt is a little rougher but the cut is generous and pretty much what I expected.  It's slightly lighter than my Woolrich Alaskan shirt, with buttons instead of snaps.  

The bibs, holy hell they are heavy.  There is no adjustment for girth like on some bibs, but they are sized appropriately (ex, I wear 2XL for everything, I ordered the 2XL, they fit perfect).  They have excellent shape for the groin area which can sometimes get tight in bibs.  Too heavy for any kind of real activity, but perfect for sitting on the ice or in a blind which is what I wanted them for.

For basically half price, I highly recommend taking advantage of this sale.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If function is all you are concerned with these are two of the best deals currently.

M1951 GI wool shirt. 80/20 wool/nylon xsmall through large sizes new.
M1951 Korean Wool Field Shirts

Swedish wool cargo pants 100% heavy wool
Apparel

I have and use both.

View Quote

The M1951 shirts are extremely warm and durable; just broke one out for early winter chores.  

Great deal at $15.  Doubt you could find an equivalent new for three or four times that.

Edit:
The Legacy Shirt from Cabela's looks like a good deal if you need something more fashionable than OD green.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#33]
The fact is.. good wool "anything" is expensive. I am in my mid fifties now. The stuff I kept from my army days has shrunk enough to be useless to me. But has been passed on to a nephew. Couple years ago I bit the bullet and bought some Filson gear. Hurt like heck. But, I am pretty sure I will NEVER need to replace it. On a "by season" basis, it's going to have cost me about $5 a year. I can live with that..
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Woolly Clothing CO

Dont forget Ebay, I've picked up 3 like new Pendleton shirts for ~$25 shipped.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:13:24 AM EDT
[#35]
A closet full of thrift store and milsurp wool clothing cost me under $200 total. I'd be lucky to have a single set of wool outerwear if I bought new within that budget.

The only new stuff I'll buy is socks, and base layer stuff.

Wool socks are seriously life changing if you're used to wearing cotton socks. Seriously. I've stocked up on 100% wool yarn and darning needles to keep my socks going longer.

Some of the Euro wool blankets are nice too. I bought a few of the Italian officer's blankets plus some Bulgarian ones, and I've been pleased. Some work involved getting them de-stinked. I was smelling a Bulgarian blanket I had stuffed in my trunk (prematurely) for awhile

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top