Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 4:31:16 AM EDT
Title says it all, I'm looking to upgrade from my flip phone, both standard and emergency usage are factors, as is cost.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the latest  Samsung Galaxy or Galaxy Note. If you dont mind a slightly larger phone, the Note is well worth it. Massive screen and battery. There's the Galaxy 5 Active that is tougher and water proof, combined with an Otterbox case you have some nice tech, well protected too. If you want a great, cheap smartphone, get the Moto G.
Oh, remove the screen protector from Otterbox, it sucks, and install one yourself. The Otterbox Defender screen protector ruins the HD screen in your phone, makes it look awful.
Dont buy Apple. A couple years ago, you could somewhat make a case for it. Back in 2011 or so you could say that you went with Iphone becuase you want something simple and you're not tech savvy or something along those lines. Not any more. As of today, I instanly think a bit less of anyone that buys a new Apple product. They are that crappy compared to the MUCH better Samsungs you can get for less money. Overpriced, 4 year old tech which exists only becuase of marketing.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the latest  Samsung Galaxy or Galaxy Note. If you dont mind a slightly larger phone, the Note is well worth it. Massive screen and battery. There's the Galaxy 5 Active that is tougher and water proof, combined with an Otterbox case you have some nice tech, well protected too. If you want a great, cheap smartphone, get the Moto G.
Oh, remove the screen protector from Otterbox, it sucks, and install one yourself. The Otterbox Defender screen protector ruins the HD screen in your phone, makes it look awful.
Dont buy Apple. A couple years ago, you could somewhat make a case for it. Back in 2011 or so you could say that you went with Iphone becuase you want something simple and you're not tech savvy or something along those lines. Not any more. As of today, I instanly think a bit less of anyone that buys a new Apple product. They are that crappy compared to the MUCH better Samsungs you can get for less money. Overpriced, 4 year old tech which exists only becuase of marketing.
FerFAL
View Quote

This is what I just went with, from an iphone.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#3]
the Lifeproof cases are great for waterproofing and their nuud line of cases seal against the glass of the display, so you touch the actual screen when using the device.

good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are with Verizon (and you should be for best service ), Casio Commando 4G.

Have it.

Love it.

Durable has hell.

As to those who say "put an ithing in an otterbox": You are still trying to encase a fragile, non-waterproof thing.

Benefits of the Casio:

Rugged as hell.

Waterproof to 3 ft? I literally wash mine with soap and water when it gets dirty. Don't even turn it off first.

Stand alone GPS

Magnetic compass

Nice speakers. Clear and loud.

You can buy a docking station to charge it w/o opening the USB port cover.

You can buy extended batteries for it.

I have dropped mine from 8 ft high onto pavement. No problems.

Comes pre-installed with nice "adventure" apps.

Cons of the Casio:

dated OS (but works fine)

not as good a camera as it could be (but plenty fine)

not the biggest processor out there (but I have zero problems)

stock battery lasts about 9 hours with little use with wifi on all day. Normal with wifi on, though.

As with any smart phone, restart it once daily. Oh, and android over apple: I added a micro sd flash memory to have FAR more memory than on an iphone (you can't add memory to an iphone)

ETA: Also has "glove mode" that makes basic functions like calls easy with gloves on. Has bluetooth, tethering, full browser, flash, etc. Can't say enough good about my Commando, except whomever decided to call the the G'Zone should be strung up at dawn.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally I love my Samsung Note.

People joke that it is a mini tablet, the thing still fits in my pockets easily. With my otter box defender I have a hard shell case enclosed in a soft outer shell. The hard shell also includes a screen cover. I added an additional screen protector to the screen itself for added protection.

All other phones feel small in my hands. Camera is great, comes with a built in stylis so I can type or write with it versus my finger.

If the note is too large for you, the galaxy is a great option too. My wife has a 5 and has nothing but good things to say about it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for Samsung Galaxy Note.  I have a note 4 and love it.  I was worried about it being big but the size is not as intrusive as I was expecting.  The thing has plenty of horsepower and is loaded with features. It's nice to have a high performance camera with you all the time too.  

If you aren't as savy a user I would suggest looking at an iPhone.  They are ridiculously easy to use.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my Note 3. My eyes thank me and it is like a mini laptop/tablet for work. I thought it might be too big for a phone at first but now I would not go smaller.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm boring I suppose. IPhone 5S, and only accessories are a screen protector and a FLIR thermal camera. Small enough to fit in the pocket where I've carried my phone for years, and while I probably don't do a lot of things that "power users" do, I haven't yet found anything that I want to do that it won't let me. A removable memory card would be nice; that's something I'd change.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with a Samsung Rugby Pro last time I upgraded.  Waterproof and all out of the box, supposedly better than the Galaxy Active on the waterproof part.  I made sure I could get an otterbox for it before buying, mostly for the belt clip because I'm not cool enough to carry it in my pocket all the time.  It beats my old LG on performance and beats the same generation of Galaxy since it has a smaller screen.  My only gripe is the screen is hard to see in the daylight, but that is every other smartphone I've seen as well.  Battery life is really good, too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got the Note 4 yesterday. Upgraded from an S3. I like the larger real estate, and the fonts are very easy to read. Fast processor, no waiting. Don't have any accessories yet. Pretty kool phone.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Ballistic phone cases are the shit!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I vote Galaxy S5.

Has a large, easily-swappable battery that'll run the phone for 3+ days without turning anything off.

Also has an "ultra-low-power" mode that gives you basic phone and texting functions for around 10 days on a single battery charge.

Spare batteries are cheap, and readily available.

The "waterproof" design actually does a decent job of shedding water - Keeps the phone working in conditions that would kill many other models.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Galaxy S5 is hands down the best phone i have ever owned. waterproof out of the box. toss it in a slim case like the Spigen and put a good screen protector on it if you want and be done with it. with 10% battery life left you can switch it to U.Power saving and have 2.5 days of battery life left.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:56:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I do dirty outside work and keep my phone in my pocket. They tend to have short lives, so I I pick whatever's cheapest and replace them as needed. Currently using a Nokia 521 Windows phone. It's fine, nothing special. $49 new, plus another $10 or so for a cheap case and screen protector.

Flip phones are far more robust in my experience, but smartphones are far more useful.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:29:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do dirty outside work and keep my phone in my pocket. They tend to have short lives, so I I pick whatever's cheapest and replace them as needed. Currently using a Nokia 521 Windows phone. It's fine, nothing special. $49 new, plus another $10 or so for a cheap case and screen protector.

Flip phones are far more robust in my experience, but smartphones are far more useful.
View Quote

You might want to look into getting a moto G. it's a pretty good smartphone, tough , waterproof and there's some nice cheap cases for it .
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:59:02 AM EDT
[#17]
S5 with the UAG and you have a great combo
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#18]
We have the galaxy S4 and S5. both with magpul cases.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Pick a carrier of choice, go to one of their stores, and play with the phones on display.  Pick the one you like best.  They'll all work fine.

Accessories:  Car charger, extra AC charger to keep in the car/work/wherever.  Case/no case/which case will depend on what you like/need.

FWIW, I've been using iPhones since the 3G.  My next one will not be an iPhone.  Nothing particularly wrong with it, just want to try something different.  YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top