Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2014 11:22:10 PM EDT
I have had it where antibiotics just are not enough. This past year I had a sickness that developed from a simple sinus/urti into full blown walking pneumonia. After a couple of round do of antibiotics, the doctor finally gave me the shot in the ass. I have never thought about asking what it is exactly that seems to make you go from feeling like death to alive again in a few short days. So guys, the shot you get in the butt what is it exactly?

And of course in true ARFCOM fashion, can you find it and stockpile it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
In Boot, the "shot in the ass" was a refrigerated injection of penicillin to the fleshy part of a butt-cheek.

Can't say for sure that's what you had, though. If you really don't know what they put in your butt... I would really consider calling your doc and getting that in writing. Just saying.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Possibly Rocephin. Don't know of anywhere you could obtain it for stockpiling purposes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you get a steroid shot?  Try your local health club - they should be able to hook you up.  Particularly check w/ the guys w/ the LiveStrong yellow bracelets.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
As above, just a guess but probably Ceftriaxone.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe a shot of Rocephin or a hit of B-12
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you get a steroid shot?  Try your local health club - they should be able to hook you up.  Particularly check w/ the guys w/ the LiveStrong yellow bracelets.
View Quote

It could have been a corticosteroid shot, but the anabolic steroids that the juicers at your local gym have are not interchangeable.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#7]
In the military we received injections of Gamma Globulin in our backside. It felt like they injected peanut butter.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Possibly a steroid.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#9]
What you don't really need is a wide variety of BLIND-ASS-SPECULATION from the various types that frequent an internet gun/survival forum!  The best answer to your question can be obtained by calling the doctor's office and asking whoever answers the phone to look in your chart and tell you the name of the medication.  

...and unfortunately, I don't know of any source for injectible medication for your fish!

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Most likely ceftriaxone (commonly seen brand name Rocephin); it's often used in cases of community-acquired pneumonia

Ceftriaxone: an update of its use in the management of community-acquired and nosocomial infections.
Link showing some of the conditions it's used for

ETA- <insert usual disclaimers here>
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#12]
For those who are curious, I am going to call my doctor this morning and ask. I am curious to know for the simple fact that sometimes antibiotics don't work without help.

And I do know for a fact that the bioscience type steriods does not have any kind of bearing on this. I have been around that kind for long enough to know.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#13]
To be blunt, and I'm not trying to GD up your thread, but you're playing with fire, OP.

Gasoline on the left and fireworks on the right, and you're asking which Bic lighter would be the best light source.

TheGrayMan is right of course, there's not enough information to give you a useful answer. But even if we could tell you exactly what it was and why it was given for exactly what condition, the larger problem is we can't magically bestow upon you the background, diagnostic ability, and risk/benefit judgment for you to know, in the future, whether to give that same drug or something different to a person who outwardly looks similar to what you felt this time around.

This stuff is hard to get right all the time, even for doctors. There is risk, and risk isn't just a word, it does show up. The oral fish antibiotic threads are full of unappreciated risk, but at least those are mostly benign oral antibiotics. Getting into injectable drugs is another layer of risk. You may not wish to go there if you need to ask this kind of question in the first place.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Going to need more information than that.

Because there is no "shot" that cures pneumonia in a single dose.
View Quote

I know there is not a shot that cures pneumonia out right but the shot that acts as a booster to the immune system.

I got off the phone and they looked through my chart. 80mg prednisone along with the antibiotics.

BTW, prednisone can be found online.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't think Prednisone boosts the immune system......  actually, I think it's the opposite?

..... off to check my Drug Guide!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Pentobarbital, 5 grams or so will take care of it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have had it where antibiotics just are not enough. This past year I had a sickness that developed from a simple sinus/urti into full blown walking pneumonia. After a couple of round do of antibiotics, the doctor finally gave me the shot in the ass. I have never thought about asking what it is exactly that seems to make you go from feeling like death to alive again in a few short days. So guys, the shot you get in the butt what is it exactly?

View Quote

Amitriptyline.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No.

Prednisone is oral... they gave you something else.  Perhaps you were thinking of methylprednisolone?

Let me be up-front here.  Steroids are NOT benign drugs... and you have no business self-dosing with anything like that.  You can get into real trouble (even life-threatening trouble) screwing around with injectable steroids.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know there is not a shot that cures pneumonia out right but the shot that acts as a booster to the immune system.

I got off the phone and they looked through my chart. 80mg prednisone along with the antibiotics.

No.

Prednisone is oral... they gave you something else.  Perhaps you were thinking of methylprednisolone?

Let me be up-front here.  Steroids are NOT benign drugs... and you have no business self-dosing with anything like that.  You can get into real trouble (even life-threatening trouble) screwing around with injectable steroids.

I agree with your whole premise. But you also don't realize that I am not new to injectable steroid use. I have had to make endocrinology a hobby unfortunately because I have had 3 doctors fuck me up.

I simply asked a question. Is this or is this not a learning forum? I did not intend to run off to the dark side of the Internet
and start buying drugs I know nothing about. Research and learn.

Edit: depo medrol is exactly what she gave me. She said it was in the same family of prednisone and methylprednisolone.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Nevermind.  Keep on keepin' on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I agree with your whole premise. But you also don't realize that I am not new to injectable steroid use. I have had to make endocrinology a hobby unfortunately because I have had 3 doctors fuck me up.

I simply asked a question. Is this or is this not a learning forum? I did not intend to run off to the dark side of the Internet

Edit: depo medrol is exactly what she gave me. She said it was in the same family of prednisone and methylprednisolone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

depo medrol = methylprednisolone
It was used to reduce bronchial inflammation, not to fight off the infectious agent.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In the military we received injections of Gamma Globulin in our backside. It felt like they injected peanut butter.
View Quote

This ++

Felt like a golf ball in the side of your ass until it was finally absorbed Was pretty funny watching everyone in the Company area walking around all day with their hand on their ass trying to massage that damn injection into the body.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This ++

Felt like a golf ball in the side of your ass until it was finally absorbed Was pretty funny watching everyone in the Company area walking around all day with their hand on their ass trying to massage that damn injection into the body.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ++

Ouch. I feel sorry for all the stuff you guys received immunizations for.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Ouch. I feel sorry for all the stuff you guys received immunizations for.
View Quote

Beats getting the diseases we got the immunizations for.  If you're under 35, we can get you those immunizations for free.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Beats getting the diseases we got the immunizations for.  If you're under 35, we can get you those immunizations for free.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Ouch. I feel sorry for all the stuff you guys received immunizations for.

How many years of my life do they require now?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

You don't know what you don't know.

Endocrinology is not a hobby.

These steroids are not immune "boosters" ... they're actually immunosuppressants. Steroids like methylprednisolone are powerful anti inflammatory drugs and they make people feel good, but they have no antimicrobial effects and do not enhance or assist antibiotics as you wrote in the OP.

This is a learning forum, you asked a question, and we're teaching. You're getting good answers, and then complaining you're not getting the answers you want to hear. There's no good way for that kind of interaction to end.

You'll probably blow me me off as just another turf-defending doctor like the one who supposedly fucked you up, but for some reason I still feel compelled to try to help you.

There's no merit to stocking these drugs at your house just in case, even if you could legally acquire them. Let me put it this way: I'm a doctor. I'm pretty experienced with practice in austere environments courtesy of three deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq (as a doctor). I think about these things a lot. I have a well stocked supply of medications and equipment at home as part of that whole preparedness thing we occasionally talk about on this forum, in between the EMP and tinfoil threads. I don't stock injectable steroids. Neither should you.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Snip

By saying I made it a hobby, I mean that I have had to do countless hours of research. Research that doctors in hormone replacement should know because they specialize in it.
These steroids are not immune "boosters" ... they're actually immunosuppressants. Steroids like methylprednisolone are powerful anti inflammatory drugs and they make people feel good, but they have no antimicrobial effects and do not enhance or assist antibiotics as you wrote in the OP.I am guessing they give this steroid to reduce the inflammation to allow air in out out easier. Instead of constantly feeling like I was sucking air through a straw, it allowed my airway to open. Correct?

This is a learning forum, you asked a question, and we're teaching. You're getting good answers, and then complaining you're not getting the answers you want to hear. There's no good way for that kind of interaction to end.

You'll probably blow me me off as just another turf-defending doctor like the one who supposedly fucked you up, but for some reason I still feel compelled to try to help you.
you don't know how thankful I am to have your help. No I never blew you off as turf defending doctor who I would lump into the same category as the doctors who fucked my body up.
There's no merit to stocking these drugs at your house just in case, even if you could legally acquire them. Let me put it this way: I'm a doctor. I'm pretty experienced with practice in austere environments courtesy of three deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq (as a doctor). I think about these things a lot. I have a well stocked supply of medications and equipment at home as part of that whole preparedness thing we occasionally talk about on this forum, in between the EMP and tinfoil threads. I don't stock injectable steroids. Neither should you.
I was trying to think outside of the box and my thinking was that sometimes antibiotics alone don't work. What is that special shot they give you in your ass that helps with how you feel and can it be applicable to situations where if there is no doctor, can it save your life.

I am doing this on my phone and this is a bitch with all these quote trees.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

These steroids are not immune "boosters" ... they're actually immunosuppressants. Steroids like methylprednisolone are powerful anti inflammatory drugs and they make people feel good, but they have no antimicrobial effects and do not enhance or assist antibiotics as you wrote in the OP.

View Quote

Pay attention, here, OP ... if you think you know more than this guy (and others who have posted) there's not much folks in this thread can do to help you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Corticosteroid
Usually Depomedrol or Kenalog
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#32]
To the OP:

1) As was mentioned earlier - Prednisone is an oral medication but there are injectible "equivalants".

2) In the combination of Pred + antibiotic, the antibiotic kills the bug (bacterium) and the prednisone beats down your immune system's reaction to the bug.  That reaction is a large part of what makes you feel bad causing pain, swelling, fever, etc...  but understand that if you are taking the right antibiotic for the bacteria causing your problem, you will likely get better without the Pred but it may take a little longer without the Pred.

But - because prednisone beats down your immune response (to some degree on a temporary basis), taking it without the antibiotic (if you have a bacberial infection) is like trying to put out a fire with a liquid called gasoline.

Last but not least, if you have a virus (only), the antibiotic does nothing to help you get better, you will do that on your own with time...  and in some cases Pred might help you feel better faster...

My point to all of this is that, while Pred can help you get better, it can also cause you to get worse.  Folks that do not have the requisite training and/or skills shouldn't fiddle around with it.  If they do fiddle around with it enough times, eventually somebody will get hurt and the case could turn into an unfixable train wreck...

You have been warned... govern yourself accordingly...

Best -

- R -
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am guessing they give this steroid to reduce the inflammation to allow air in out out easier. Instead of constantly feeling like I was sucking air through a straw, it allowed my airway to open. Correct?
View Quote

I would bet that is exactly right.  It made you feel better, but didn't kick the infection faster.  It's likely it was given to you purely for symptomatic relief ... if your airways were really so inflamed that air movement was substantially impaired you would've been admitted to the hospital and given other/additional treatments, not given a very slow-acting IM steroid shot and sent home.  So - while it undoubtedly made you feel better, it probably didn't have a great impact on the course of the illness and your recovery.

There are risks associated with taking these steroids.  A single dose is probably no big deal as far as medication side effects go, but there are subtler risks too - for example, if it makes someone feel better but the underlying condition isn't fixed, it could cause him to delay seeking treatment.

Prescription drugs aren't prescription-only because of $ concerns from doctors and pharmaceutical companies.  Pharmaceutical companies would LOVE to be able to sell anything direct to consumers.  They advertise direct to consumers, and would cut out the doctor middlemen if they could.  Most state medical boards have rules about physicians self-prescribing even non-controlled substances, and as a rule it is very strongly discouraged outside of emergencies.  Generally, doctors shouldn't be doing it.  Laypeople should be careful careful careful about dabbling in self-prescribing, even if they're able to figure out a legal way to get the drugs in the first place.

Rereading my earlier post the tone was maybe a little over the top, my apologies, but I've seen people get hurt self-treating themselves with medications they thought were logical and safe.  Take care.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Gasdoc, no you took the correct tone. Your good doctor instinct took over and you raised concern for harm. (which is more than my other doctors have done)
It seems as if I came across as argumentative which I had no intentions of ever doing. I was just trying to make it clear that I do have some basic knowledge of drugs and not some idiot looking to self diagnose and self medicate something he knows nothing about.

Greyman also informed me of the potential sides. I can see why you don't advocate keeping them. But like I asked Greyman, can you see the reason I asked about it? I went from literally breathing through a straw to being able to catch a full breath in as a little as a few hours. It seemed like after that, everything progressed and I was better within a few days.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks guys for all your help. Question was answered,  so mods can delete thread.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Possibly Rocephin. Don't know of anywhere you could obtain it for stockpiling purposes.
View Quote

Very likely this. I've had it before and that's what it turned out to be.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#37]
OP request
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top