Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2014 12:14:53 PM EDT
Growing up i saw people put wood stoves in all kinds of places and they worked whether they were safe or not.
I remember having a small stove once that had the pipe come out the stove and angle back to a bricked up fireplace.
I don't remember it smoking and we used it for sever years until something better was put in.

This got me thinking about maybe a small wood burner that I could bring up in an emergency, set up, and run the pipe to and up the fire place.
I don't know much about these things and was just wondering what I could get and how well it would work.

Yes I could just use the fireplace but it takes a lot of wood and doesn't produce near as much usable heat as a stove.
If I blocked of my living room it would probably heat pretty well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]

I think your particular situation calls for one of those USGI "pot belly" stoves / tent heaters. I see [complete] new ones advertised all the time and they're very reasonable priced at around $100.00. I believe Coleman's Surplus has them in stock. Ebay would probably be your friend as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to use it in an emergency, have it ready before the emergency. Dont plan on getting it out and putting it up once it gets cold and you dont have heat. I love me some wood burning stoves, but If I had a fireplace and no stove, I would chop more wood.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want to use it in an emergency, have it ready before the emergency. Dont plan on getting it out and putting it up once it gets cold and you dont have heat. I love me some wood burning stoves, but If I had a fireplace and no stove, I would chop more wood.
View Quote

Definitely would set it up and test.  Maybe even use it on a couple of cold days.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Growing up i saw people put wood stoves in all kinds of places and they worked whether they were safe or not.
View Quote

That whole "not safe" factor would steer me clear of using a jury rigged stove
Having your house burn down around you from a cob job install isn't something I aspire to experience
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Definitely would set it up and test.  Maybe even use it on a couple of cold days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I withdraw objections. Good luck
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you talking about something like this....  Vented out a fire place or a window?  

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I like these:
http://cylinderstoves.com

They have a kit that can vent out a window. Pretty inexpensive and quick to set up and take down.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Any reason you can't just install a permanent stove with a through the roof kit?

A small airtight unit will cost a little bit to get up and running, but you can supplement your heat with it whenever you want, not just in an emergency.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to HD and get an Englander 13, its a low cost decent smallish stove. Something that contains a fire is the last place I would cut corners. You may find you prefer heating with wood
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Run a search on tent stoves.  A fireplace should have a brick floor so the thing could sit on the bricks and then run the pipe up the chimney.  Still gonna have to be careful making sure you get a decent draft and don't lose all your warm air from the room up the chimney as well.

You can make home made stuff as well.

Most of it you will want to burn outside first to get the oils and paint burned in and not stink up the house.

I would still probably go to tractor supply or northern tool or some place and buy one of the small cast iron cheap wood stoves for a few hundred bucks.  gonne spend that and more on chimney pipe probably.

These things are discussed on the net and are soso.  But portable and not a lot of money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a box, full of fire, in your LIVING ROOM, during an already emergency situation. Think that through.

And yes, I heat with wood full time. No cobbled up instal, no iffy chimney, no cheap stove. It's fire, in your living room.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Put in a fireplace insert and double lined flue?

Yes there is some up front cost, but you get it back in more efficient heating.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I remember having a small stove once that had the pipe come out the stove and angle back to a bricked up fireplace.
I don't remember it smoking and we used it for sever years until something better was put in..
View Quote

That was standard operating procedure for a century at least, ever since stoves became cheap and wood became "expensive".   Open fire places really don't heat well and suck the heat out of your house, even Rumsfords. How well it actually works depends on your chimney and the draft. Could you do it in an emergency? sure but local codes might prohibit it etc.  My first choice would be some kerosene and a couple kero heaters.

My parents have heated with a stove in the fireplace for 40+ years but their fireplace was a massive and
custom built Rumsford, additionally for 20 of those years they've burned coal or pellets in it.  When they burned wood going from the small stove pipe into the big chimney would cool the smoke and form creosote- it worked but wasn't a great solution.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#15]
You could get some braziers. Brass, copper, baked clay. They all retain heat and radiate it. You burn charcoal only (lump.) Great for adding incense too if you want to add nice fragrance while getting warm.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Remember too, if your fireplace has a smoke shelf you won't have as much luck running a pipe up it and could end up with some serious back drafting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one of these, it is kind of fun / old school. Ace Hardware. BE SURE to light it up at least once OUTSIDE as they stink to high heaven from the paint and the sealer used in China. Once that is burned off it does not smell.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2099067
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have one of these, it is kind of fun / old school. Ace Hardware. BE SURE to light it up at least once OUTSIDE as they stink to high heaven from the paint and the sealer used in China. Once that is burned off it does not smell.

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-2260855enh-z7.jpg

View Quote

I have actually heard they are decent little units for the money if you put some work into them.

I guess one problem is the joints aren't sealed from the factory, so you need to seal it up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Put in a fireplace insert or a stove, blocking plate, and liner.  Seriously, set it up and use it a couple months a year to take the chill off.
By the time you get done screwing around with a rigged up stove potentially burning your house down or poisoning your family with CO, you are far better off either doing it correctly or just buying some kerosene and a kerosene heater
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-2260855enh-z7.jpg

View Quote

I concur,. My son bought one at Harbor Freight, same brand, for ~$70 a couple summers ago. HF is a little cheaper than Ace, right now.

HF wood stove $170
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Carbon monoxide... it's a hell of a drug...  

Dragging out and setting up a wood stove on a temporary basis, when you're already cold and in a hurry, just seems like asking for trouble.  Personally, I'd buy a Big Buddy for emergencies, and in the meantime work on a more permanent, reliable wood stove installation.  With fire and fumes, you don't generally get any do-overs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Few years back on youtube the big thing for a temp wood stove was getting those M1950 Yukon tent stoves and run them up a fireplace or out a window for temp heating - those stoves disappeared nationwide within a week and now are top dollar if you can find them.

Some options are the Nu-Way wood stove  This is one we're looking at since installing a actual wood stove or to rebuild the fireplace if we put a insert into it - is a bit tricky.  and very costly.

Cabela's Cabelas Sheepherder stove  I messed around with one of these borrowed from a friend and ran it up the chimney after putting a cement board in front of fireplace opening. It worked great, but had to keep feeding it every half hour or so.

Or if it's just a short term, the mention of a kerosene heater would work great also.  Our 2 units can turn the downstairs of a 2 story house with really crappy windows with no power into a very comfortable 74 degrees F when outside temps are in the upper 20's.  Burn time per unit is approx 18-20hrs per 1.8 gallons.  

We always have at least 2 ways of alternative heating during the winter time.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I've seen these cheaper while poking around.  We have one at my club to burn stuff while shooting the 5 stand in the winter months.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/united-states-stove-barrel-stove-kit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top