Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 10:12:28 AM EDT
So I've been looking at BOL property again, something with acreage, creeks, woods and small pond.  Found a nice place, decent price, definitely needs work, but nothing that is a deal breaker.  An older gentleman lived there for 40 years with his family, but passed on last year.  His heirs don't want the place so are selling off.  It is only about 17 minutes from my work, but is in a pretty rural area.   Nearest neighbor is up the road about 1500 feet, 2 alittle farther, and then 1 through the woods about 3000 feet.  I've been that isolated (I grew up in a small town) but don't really mind.

I'm sure others on here have run through this in their minds when buying property that they will live on.  

Isolation definitely has its benefits but can also have disadvantages in some type of SHTF situation.  Such as right now, if something happened to me or my wife, my kids could run 100 feet through the woods to the neighbors that we are close to.  Mutual support is definitely an advantage, but not always available.

How has the SF resolved this in your search for land?

***Update:   Took a good look at this land today.  45 acres.  The woods was beautiful.  It is surrounded by land managed by a company with rows of planted pines, but this land is hard woods with little pine.  Lots of wildlife.   I don't think I'll get it though.   The pond is small and only from rain water, but does have catfish.  One of the creeks I saw on the satellite is dry even though we have had some decent rain in the past months.  The other creek has water but seems stagnant.  Not at all what I had hoped.  

Will have to keep looking.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I've been looking at BOL property again, something with acreage, creeks, woods and small pond.  Found a nice place, decent price, definitely needs work, but nothing that is a deal breaker.  An older gentleman lived there for 40 years with his family, but passed on last year.  His heirs don't want the place so are selling off.  It is only about 17 minutes from my work, but is in a pretty rural area.   Nearest neighbor is up the road about 1500 feet, 2 alittle farther, and then 1 through the woods about 3000 feet.  I've been that isolated (I grew up in a small town) but don't really mind.

I'm sure others on here have run through this in their minds when buying property that they will live on.  

Isolation definitely has its benefits but can also have disadvantages in some type of SHTF situation.  Such as right now, if something happened to me or my wife, my kids could run 100 feet through the woods to the neighbors that we are close to.  Mutual support is definitely an advantage, but not always available.

View Quote

I don't know where you live but what you describe sure doesn't sound isolated to me. Get your kids in good enough shape to run 500 yards?

Tom
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Where I grew up, being isolated meant a 20 minute drive, not a 2 minute jog to the nearest neighbor.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a wonderfull place to live. Close enough, yet far enough. If you are lonely get a harem
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#4]
My idea of isolation is measured in miles not yards.
My thoughts on SHTF are when the neighbors didn't make.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where I grew up, being isolated meant a 20 minute drive, not a 2 minute jog to the nearest neighbor.
View Quote

Good point.  Being isolated is relative to what you are used to.  I've always been citified until I moved away from home, and even then, the "country" had lots of neighbors within a stones throw.  Will just take some getting used to.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to decide what is too isolated.

I just went across the country to Yellowstone. I have seen isolated...maybe too isolated to me. There were people with lots of property, they had neighbors within sight but the homes were way outside of town. So a trip to the grocery store was 30 miles. That is a long freaking way, especially if you are sporting a 4x4 gas guzzler. It gave me pause b/c I have a dream of living in the mountains one day. Many of these homes are fairly self sufficient...close to off the grid.

I grew up some rural areas where there were lots of farms but we always lived in some type of sub division.

I don't really knw what my plans are at this point or where I will end up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I used to think that the retirement cabin I bought was too far away (five hours) and isolated to be of any real use for a BOL.

This ebola thing has made me look at it a bit differently. It's way back on a montainside on private road. No real population, nearest very small towns are 15 miles away in either direction.
View Quote

Can I get an amen? +1

We have neighbors a few hundred yards away and are 10-20 minutes from 3-4 towns.

If ebola goes ape crap, we will wish we were further out.

In general, what city people call "isolated" (usually to mock the person living in the country) is anything but "isolated." Pretty much no one lives 200 miles by dogsled from the nearest city....
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can I get an amen? +1

We have neighbors a few hundred yards away and are 10-20 minutes from 3-4 towns.

In general, what city people call "isolated" (usually to mock the person living in the country) is anything but "isolated." Pretty much no one lives 200 miles by dogsled from the nearest city....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to think that the retirement cabin I bought was too far away (five hours) and isolated to be of any real use for a BOL.

This ebola thing has made me look at it a bit differently. It's way back on a montainside on private road. No real population, nearest very small towns are 15 miles away in either direction.

Can I get an amen? +1

Amen!  

I do agree that in a case of Ebola, SARS, MERS, H1N1, etc etc, that isolation is going to be a big plus.  By virtue of being far away, you cut your risks dramatically.

On the flip side, there are other situations where having more folks around would be a better thing.  We can all think of situations where having community support is of benefit.  Think of any type of medical situation that may arise in a SHTF situation - infection,  birth problems, wounds, all can happen, and a small community hospital is going to be a great thing to be able to reach, especially if your people at home don't have sufficient medical training.  Etc Etc.  

Balance is a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#10]
We're isolated... Sometimes effectively trapped, to a degree.

One of the joys is being able to leave here and go back to 'base' in a completely different setting -social/resources/etc...

And leave again and come back here!

Was just commenting on this 3 days ago.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Agree, my idea of isolated is a couple miles in each direction of the nearest neighbor.

I've been thinking a lot about looking for a place around here.  the issue that I have is that I will need to pass a hundred thousand people to get to where my ideal BOL would be located (which means that there is a good chance I might not make it if I NEEDED to get there.)
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]
how remote is too remote???

CAN I afford a private plane, large boat, helicopter?? and the pilots to get me where I want to go???

cool!

your locations looks fine to me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got back yesterday from a 5 day 2200 mile road trip from Miami to Savannah to Charleston to Gatlinburg to Knoxville then Atlanta and Tampa, before returning to Miami.

I saw some places out in the boonies, for sure.  Even hiked a little in the Smokies, at Gatlinburg and some people built small cabins 100 years back in some pretty remote (for the time) places.  Good luck with that.

Isolation is relative, but since I'm in a condo in Miami, I measure isolation in mere feet from my nearest neighbor, so that's how I roll.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]
40 minute fight from any known building onto a lake with a sea plane   to a cabin .  that's ruffing it
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think you're answering your own question right there. On one hand we like to be left alone, on the other we like having help close when needed. For me being no more than 15 minutes away from an ER and good hospital is as far as I want to be, closer being better. 5-10 minutes from schools and other infrastructure that we use often. The neighors just dropped by trick or treating. My youngest kid just came back himself, bucket full of candy. This is just one example of the benefits of not living in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand, we chose this town because it has the small town appeal we where looking for, people not locking their doors at night and such, bikes left on the front lawn.
FerFAL

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#17]
If you make a face on a Wilson soccer ball and talking to it your too isolated.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I grew ups 65 air miles from town...or about 90 by snowmachine...or about 100 by boat.  Nearest neighbor was only a few miles away maybe 15 minutes by boat and about 5 by snowmachine.  

So what you describe is still in the city to me.

I would love to go back to that but my wife wont have any of it so I have guidance less than 45 min to starbucks and 20 minutes to grocery stores so I guess I'm still searching for my ideal retirement land
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I grew up on a farm out in the country. Nearest neighbor at least a mile away. Small one-horse town (pop. 435) 3.5 miles away, a small town (~10k) about 20 minutes away. It was really ridiculous getting on a bus an hour before school started and getting home an hour after school ended.

My parents decided to live there the rest of their lives. After a while, neither one of them were able to drive. If it weren't for my one brother that decided to stay nearby, they would have effectively been quarantined in their own home. For sure, if either had a real medical emergency, they would have died before the ambulance got there. My mom actually hated being out there after a while because of the social isolation. She like to talk with and interact with people. That became more and more problematic because of their situation. My dad didn't want to move to a retirement village or into town because he wanted to give the farm to us kids. My dad at least got into the internet and read voraciously but my mom was pretty much stuck.

When you think about how "isolated" a particular property is, you should really think not in terms of distance per se, but rather what level of social isolation that property would have and whether you can live without a social circle. Note that people with larger social circles and regular interactions with same tend to live longer, all other things being the same. We humans are social creatures. So consider that as you look at properties you'd actually want to live at.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My Dad's homestead is 16 miles from the nearest neighbor and 35 miles from the nearest "town" IIRC. All over unmaintained dirt and gravel roads. The nearest medical facility is 50 miles away.

I consider that "too isolated."
View Quote

Many people on here, including myself, would argue the further the better. It does have its downsides though. Having a grocery store an hour and half from you should not be a big deal. Do inventory before you go shopping for the day. Don't drive your gas guzzler on long trips if you don't have to. As Feral pointed out, hospitals too far away would be a deterrent for me. You can have the first aid supplies and fancy gadgets you want, but sometimes you just need medical access when minutes/seconds count.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I have land in Colorado where my property line is one mile on the county road.  The nearest occupied home is a few miles away. Town is twelve miles and the nearest gas station or grocery store is 20.
That is isolated.
My full time residence is 25 miles to town but there is a gas station only 4 or 5 miles away and a truck stop 11 miles north.
My mailbox is 3 miles but it isn't as isolated as it sounds.  We live in a gated community  with about 150 full time residents so our nearest neighbor is just across the road maybe a hundred yards or so.
it's all relative

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you make a face on a Wilson soccer ball and talking to it your too isolated.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:43:16 AM EDT
[#23]
All I ask is a 12,000 mile buffer to my nearest neighbor.  Nothing more.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Job -40 miles....one way
Nearest "city " -30 miles
Medical -2 minutes (ems /rescue station)
Leo - 1-2 sherrifs
Town size sub 3k.

For many that's to far...granted commuting 80 miles for work sucks but...like Waldo pointed out...distance is good in some scenarios.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Doesn't sound "isolated" to me.

Hell, offer my Dachshund a Milk Bone at the other end and he'd run the distance to your [potential] neighbors in 3 minutes flat (short little legs you know).
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#26]
How much land ? If it is just a few acres think in the future and if it became built up. I am on 6 acres . I used to be out in the woods , now I have a state patrol station down the street a technical college behind me and a hospital behind the house across the street from me. . Also a 4 lane road going in close to me . I went from isolated to in civilization in about 10-12 years . My house is now for sale .
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Update in the OP.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I live about 10 miles from a small city, about 15 miles from a larger one (Fayetteville, TN) at the end of a one mile gravel road.  Nearest neighbor is just at 1/4 mile, the 2nd at a half mile down in the valley.  The nearest large town is 45 minutes away, which is way too close (Huntsville/Madison, AL).

You couldn't get me to go back.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't know where you live but what you describe sure doesn't sound isolated to me. Get your kids in good enough shape to run 500 yards?

Tom
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tom

When you said isolated, I was thinking 37 miles from a paved road, 3 hours to Walmart and 5 to a hospital!

The kids that live on the ranch we hunt in Wyoming get on the school bus before 0400, and get home WELL after dark.

My closest neighbor is over 1/4 mile away and that's too close.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I live in a town of 400 people.  Nearest grocery store is 40 miles. Nearest stoplight and Walmart is 60 miles away. We only have a stop and rob with over priced no brand gas here. I hate going to town (30,000) about weekly and fucking hate cities. I can be shooting 5 minutes from my door. I can see the stars. We here in town rely a lot on each other for support and most get along well enough. We live on 1/2 acre with hound dogs, ducks, chickens, goats for milk, cats, birds and a jack russel terrier. We cut our firewood 10 miles from the house, barter for food for canning and keep the pantry stocked. Internet, power and public water. Isolated but not. I enjoy it and my wife does too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top