Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/29/2014 8:48:19 PM EDT
Before you read: I post here because I like doing so. Its as simple as that. Some forum members have asked that I post more often because they find it more convenient. If you happen to be a person that simply doesn’t like what I write I encourage you to do the following:  Don’t read what I write. I know, a mind-blowing concept.
FerFAL

The problem with many Preppers/Survivalists: Reality being wrong about stuff.

Some time ago I did a video on youtube about barter items. Basically I explained that I dont believe much in barter items, mainly for two reasons. 1) I haven’t seen it work well myself. Almost everyone that ended dealing in a barter club after the economic collapse in Argentina did so out of pure necessity and they would tell you that cash would have been better. In many cases, people in barter clubs ended up hitting different fairs and markets, both dealing with cash and barter clubs. Most barter clubs would in fact end up using barter coupons, which are little else than an improvised fiat currency of their own 2)Other than some occasional bartering among friends, when studying different disasters around the world, I saw that bartering out of necessity was limited to certain types of worst case disasters, where even basic economic tools such as currency aren’t an option. Examples would be extensive economic collapse, or events in which occupation forces disrupt commerce, a country or town is sieged, or in a smaller scale a person is in jail. All these are rather unique, unnatural situations and when looking at the bigger picture they are very unlikely events and even if they do, a nice egg nest in an offshore account helps more than 100 pounds of nails, hammer and saws. So with that in mind I said that if you already have your other emergency supplies, along with some savings and you just have to buy something for bartering after the end of the world, start with precious metals. Historically they have been valuable and accepted during economic collapses and war, and even if none of that happens they can still be sold today in “normal” times. Somewhat normal times are by far what you’re most likely to see the rest of your life, with disasters and emergencies where the funds precious metals can provide not being helpful being extremely rare.
A few days ago someone commented the following in that video:
Luckily I didn’t have to watch the whole 30 minutes, because at about 4:30 he puts precious metals as first on his list. Then I knew I was watching a dope. In the prepper wet dream situation of SHTF, if you need food, and I have food, and you tell me you can trade gold or silver, I’ll laugh in your face and tell you to hit the road. I can’t eat, drink, wear or live in your gold.
This comment is a wonderful example of the fundamental mistake most people make when it comes to preparing for emergencies and disaster: Adjusting it to their own personal fantasies or “wet dreams”, using it to justify a hobby or a lifestyle they look forward to rather than objectively preparing for emergencies and disasters. I’m not standing in some high altar here preaching to anyone. We ALL do this to some extent, some more blindly than others but I believe its an area we can all improve on, at least those of us that are capable of acknowledging it.
These are just a few examples of what I’m saying here:
Examples:
1)Focusing on guns
Who doesn’t like guns? For lots of people, guns were the reason why they got interested in self-defense and later gravitating towards preparedness. A firearm is without a doubt an essential tool for self-defense, but then again its not the only thing you should focus on. Guns are nice to have. They are fun to shoot and they have a place. An essential firearms battery also has a place. A sound suppressor can be a very useful tool too. So can full auto weapons, same goes for a 50 BMG rifle. Night vision goggles give you a huge tactical advantage. All these statements are true, but where’s the balance, where do you draw the line, and where do you simply admit you just love guns? With unlimited funds you can buy all of the previously mentioned guns and accessories but its easy to lose perspective and spend money on this you justify by saying you “need” them while not addressing more relevant, realistic needs.
Consequence: Way too much people end up with a ton of guns and very little food, no water, no emergency funds and no other supplies or skills other than owning guns. Even more ironically, in many cases people that believe to be preparing end up with dozens of guns, but never spent a single dollar in being trained on how to use them correctly. Tip to keep in mind: If you buy a gun, don’t buy another until you take a good class on how to use that specific type of gun. Do this for handguns, shotguns and rifles.
2)Focusing too much on Food
In my experience its usually the ladies that are more likely to focus too much on food. Women being generally wiser than man in the ways of life, if you’re going to obsess or focus on only one thing, you can do a lot worse than having lots of food. Food storage is an essential part of survival and you’re going to be eating it anyway if stored correctly.
Consequence: While food is arguably the most important supply to stockpile, focusing only on storing food, cooking it and neglecting other aspects of preparedness is still a bad idea and leaves you exposed to a number of other problems you many encounter that you simply will not fix no matter how well stocked your pantry is.
3)Focusing on gardening and homesteading.
This would be an example of justifying a certain lifestyle by focusing only on the theoretical self-reliance that a homestead is supposed to provide, while not taking into account its many challenges and disadvantages.
Consequence: Many folks have found out the hard way how difficult it is to make a living simply by growing your own food and trying to make a farm work, especially a small one at that. In some cases people have followed poor advice and moved away from good jobs and a good community to find themselves isolated, not making enough money and not integrating well in their new communities. In other cases people have compromised and end up commuting for hours in an attempt to have the best of both worlds. This is a tricky solution since you end up losing hours each day of your life. From a preparedness point of view, while growing food is a valuable asset, it can be done without having to move too far away from it all. An isolated homestead is all but impossible to defend during troubled times and having all your assets concentrated in one property alone can be a disaster on its own if ever forced to bug out.
4)Lack of self-criticism when it comes to fitness
Maybe the most common problem of all among preppers and survivalists is being in such poor shape that they wont be able to work, fight, walk or swim as they think they will when needed to do so. In fact in many cases people are not just out of shape, but fat to the point where combined with a sedentary lifestyle, their own health is their number one death risk factor yet they focus on EMPs, earthquakes or the breakdown of society, while remaining oblivious to the fact that whats really breaking down is their own arteries.
Consequence: After years of neglecting their own bodies it eventually catches up with people. Numerous diseases, worn joints, fatigue, and poor health in general eventually becomes a problem that in the best of cases ends up costing thousands of dollars, undermines your quality of life and ability to work, let alone survive disasters. Worst case scenario you don’t have to worry about a thing anymore because you’re six feet under.
5)Lack of self-criticism regarding social skills
So far I’ve mentioned aspects that are known to most and have been discussed often, but lack of social skills and ostracism are very common in the community and rarely addressed. With the understanding of some of the more shady sociopolitical constructions comes a rejection of those that don’t understand such manipulations. People that don’t get how disasters may occur, how likely some of them are, are often referred to as “sheep” by those involved in the preparedness community. Yet, again, this works as yet another excuse so as to not try to be social, don’t bother getting along with people that may think different. The problem is, we are all different, and with the excuse of getting along better with like-minded people your circle of acquaintances becomes increasingly small. First you stop hanging out with anyone that has different views, then you stop getting along with anyone that isnt in the same boat regarding survival, and soon enough even your own family bothers you.
Consequence: You end up alone. Families that fall apart, problems with the wife or husband, problems with kids, parents, problem with school teachers, neighbors, boss, employees. At the end of the day you need friends, neighbors and acquaintances, a network of people that helps one another. With enough self-absorption and introversion, you end up losing the ones you love the most, and then what’s the point of preparing at all?
FerFAL

http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/3744

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Some really good points. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
people will be animals  once they go hungry    guns are the best prepper investment period.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for later reading
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks, glad you liked it.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tag for later reading
View Quote

Also, you have BTDT, ill take that kind of reading over the knuckleheads else where that just speculate. I like to hear the dirty ins and outs.

Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Good stuff.  Personally I think #4 is a huge exposure for most Americans.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Good info and definitely something for people to think about.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
While I agree that those are valid points.

I'm not sure if they aren't merely pointing out some of the stereo types of the prepper/survivalist movement.

"The Gun Guy"
"The Off Grid lady"
"The Lone Wolf"
"The yuppie who built a bunker"

These are who we as preppers shake our head at?

I think each person may have his or her strong points but for "new" or novice preppers they have to find thier way and stumbling from one topic to the next can get them to where they are more equal and balanced in thier preparations. There is no universal certification program to join our club. So everyone is stumbling along and trying to figure it out from YouTube and online blogs....

In my experience the newer someone is to prepping the more likely they are to pay attention to one category. As they become more experienced they start to see the balance. But that process is pretty normal for any new activity. I've seen young athletes become so fixated on one thing they forget the rest of their plays. But over time and with experience they see the bigger picture.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, please continue posting this kind of stuff, the Internet is big enough for competing points of view.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
My experience with humans is that we have a subconscious tendency to focus on things we are good at and tend to overlook things we are not good at.

Example: When training with a firearm, if you practice by yourself you will spend time doing what you are good at and like doing. If you work with a trainer, they will make you do crap like go prone. Or clear a malfunction with your support hand only.

Another example: With weight lifting, I love working out arms. So I end up doing that work out more. I hate squats with a passion. I only do them when forced to.

You are good at gardening? You will focus on that. Even if you are knocking on 300lbs. You will ignore fitness.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks FF, I enjoy your books greatly, and this article hits it on the head.

BTW, I'm the gun/food guy. If I'd have the money, I'd be the yuppie loner with a bunker too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]
good points.

We need to reflect that in the West at least outside of ghettos of permanent poverty, a crisis tends to bring out the best in most people for at least 2 days. Only in ghettos or densely populated permanently poor areas does a disaster equal instant looting and rioting.

Beyond 2 days (and nights) though, the criminal elements either come in to play or those who need constant distraction (drugs or whatever) begin to go off their meds and start going crazy.

If the event is not natural and widespread but SOCIAL....then all bets are off but even there, most people have a normalcy bias and aren't going to tolerate the suburbs on fire. If threats come too close to the children it's go time. Criminals are stupid but not that stupid.

Now, outside of a few very rare occasions, zip codes in the USA have not gone longer than 2 weeks without power and outside security. In those rare occasions, lots of people fled the zone for safety and many banded together in ad hoc militias and armed neighborhood watches, many posting pics and stories on this site.

If the disaster is a prolonged one as in 3rd world countries then and only then do I think we're going to get into bartering. But before people start swapping bic lighters for cigarettes, there will be a massive die off, otherwise cash is going to be had....

Now a die off could happen from a combination of forces.... just not having medications filled at the local pharmacy for 2 weeks might be enough for tens of thousands of people to die. 3 months without meds and the toll might be the hundreds of thousands. Imagine how many are on AIDS cocktails keeping them alive? Probably over 100,000 people at any given time. Diabetics probably number in the millions. The morbidly obese.... millions.

If it gets to the point that people run out of cash, we'll have worse things to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Let me see if i got this right....where preppers are failing is focusing too much on guns, food and sustainable homesteading?  That's not failing, that is what successful prepping looks like.  

Honestly it sounds like what I imagine some 'enlightened' talking head on cnn or msnbc might say about the modern prepping movement.  You may even find yourself nodding your head until you realize that taking it to heart means you need to move back to the city and rejoin the rat race.  If that's the life you enjoy, go for it I guess?

They say leaders lose wars by fighting based on ideas from the last conflict.  The problem is the new conflict may not be anything like the last one.  It's the same with prepping.  Someone in Africa or South America may be worried about his savings and runaway inflation or a defunct currency.  Preppers in America should consider the experience of those in other nations, but that doesn't mean our next big crisis will be economic in nature, or that that will be the biggest thing to worry about.  Converting stocks into gold may be a fruitless exercise that gets you just as dead as the next guy.  Investing in some farmland and a nice setup may prove wiser.  Country life beats Chicago, NYC or LA, any day of the week. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Good points about being realistic in approach and well rounded in focus. The idea is not that you shouldn't have guns or have a homestead like ours. Focusing on one part of prepping that you like at the expense of other parts makes a person one dimensional.

The purpose of my homestead right now is not to be totally self sufficient now, but as a learning platform. So I know what works and what I can do to help myself when the time comes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]
tag for later.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly, the best prep right now is to expand the number of friends and associates you have especially in the neighborhood, while things are 'normal'.

No man is an island, the definition of 'idiot' is "loner". The definition of civilization is "with other people". No matter how well stocked you might be, you still need other people. The more folks who are friends and family, the more skills, assets, etc. available inside your little corner of civilization. the more guards, the more trigger pullers, the more allies.... the more eyes and ears....

Precisely because American society is trending to more anonymity and social atomization where we don't know the neighbors, we absolutely must regain that immediate local knowledge of who's who and what's what. It'll make life immeasurably safer and more productive if instead of fearing the unknown in your neighborhood you instead know for sure who all the good guys are and who the bad guys are.... it could turn out that every 4th house on your block is home to seriously paranoid preppers sitting on a stockpile of food, medicine, guns, and skills sets.... but you'd never know until they come out at night with their night vision goggles on.

Just by starting to smile and wave at the neighbors I've learned two pilots live around here. A Ranger lives on the block. A person who works in prisons and is unashamed to admit to having a gun and willing to use it ("if you hear me yelling, it's cause there's a snake in the back yard and I'm scared of snakes. If you hear gun shots it's because someone is breaking into the empty house next door".). There's the old lady that sits around all day keeping tabs on the comings and goings.... there's the moms and young families up and down the block....

There's also a handful of 'questionable' homes with odd goings on night and day....to keep an eye on.

So right now I am reasonably confident that a dozen homes (of 100) have decent folk in them. No clue on their level of preparedness but it's a start.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Good read. Self introspection is tough for everyone.

It's also very worthwhile.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Great read! Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Great post! It reminds of something else I read someplace here, summed up as "prepare for the most likely events first".
Easy to say, difficult to do!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:26:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Good read, thanks. Of course if you have a lot of guns and ammo and little else, you have some quality items to barter with.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:51:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Good read.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:19:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I would think the order of importance that you point out is inverted.  Social skills & fitness (or lack of) is going to reek havoc on society if the SHTF.

I can see two scenarios: (1) a national collapse where the rest of the world copes or even ignores the situation and (2) a world wide apocalypse where there's little hope of returning to normalcy.  Preps for each would be totally different.  For example, silver may be useful in the first because what you need is still available; logistics of access being the major issue.  But in the second, silver would be useless unless there was a significant source of necessities available.  

In my situation (yours possibly being different) the initial stages of either will likely be similar so that's what I prep for.  If, in a SHTF situation, I can close my gates and survive for up to a year then the world will have likely changed so much that I won't recognize it when I open up.  There is no sure way to prep for what has never occurred so prep for scenario #1 and pray #2 never happens.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good read, thanks. Of course if you have a lot of guns and ammo and little else, you have some quality items to barter with.
View Quote

In a real SHTF scenario I would never barter guns or ammo.  A day, week, month after you do, they will likely come back to do you in.  Barter away only what you (1) can afford, (2) what can not be used against you, and (3) what you can be pretty confident will be consumed in the short term.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#24]
SHTF will not be a big bang it will be a whimper. I planned more for self sufficiency and storage of hard to come by items.  Look at the colonial times and what was hard to get or expensive?  The world will rebound, it always had since the first SHTF.  I will be hunkered down on the homestead, eating french toast,chocolate chip cookies and cake
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Great read, but I still have to give kudos to each category because they are still more prepared than 95% of Americans.  

I have been trying to even out my own strengths over the last year so as to not be deficient in any one category.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Before you read: I post here because I like doing so. Its as simple as that. Some forum members have asked that I post more often because they find it more convenient. If you happen to be a person that simply doesn’t like what I write I encourage you to do the following: Don’t read what I write. I know, a mind-blowing concept.
FerFAL
View Quote

now if that is not a classic indication of a narcissist, I don't know what would be.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Just like putting your eggs all in one basket, concentrating on only one or two aspects of survival is a recipe for disaster.

The smart prepper (Ugh! I hate that term!), diversifies his/her efforts to assure that if one contingency fails, he's got others to fall back on which support the overall plan.

Personally, I think the most oft neglected facet of SHTF preparation is defense - not so much guns (although they are an essential, integral part), but having a real, "defense-in-depth" plan for protecting what you've worked so hard to create: your homestead/retreat/surrounding property and, thus, your family/group. This requires forethought, prepping the ground and can only be accomplished with several people on-duty at all times, post event (and I do mean several, not a couple).

The lone family out "in the wilderness" hasn't a chance in hell when a determined band of criminals shows up. Even a couple dozen people (held to a single, static position) can be overwhelmed by a resolute few, given enough time, hidden avenues of approach and a clear field of fire. But, a good defense plan: utilizing early warning (LPs/OPs and "other means" of detecting movement), reliable comms, smartly-placed/designed & properly-constructed/camouflaged fighting positions (preferably w/interlocking fields of fire and concentric in nature - with nastier surprises for invaders, as they advance/you fall back), multiple means of funneling the enemy (including dense growths of fruit-bearing wild raspberries/blackberries, for example), and a practiced, hopefully hidden means of flanking, etc, etc . . . all can make you/yours a target best avoided.

Stuff like this doesn't happen overnight, however, and getting it right takes a lot of planning, effort and practice - and the right piece of ground to begin with. IMHO, a defense-in-depth plan is essential to LTS and the ground involved must be constantly tended, improved and refined - and that requires one to keep maintain the tools & equipment necessary to accomplish it too (another too-often overlooked aspect of prepping, but I digress).

Just my $.02. YMMV, of course.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Watching the Walking Dead...perhaps hoarding gun/ammo, antibiotics, and  two way radios
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In a real SHTF scenario I would never barter guns or ammo.  A day, week, month after you do, they will likely come back to do you in.  Barter away only what you (1) can afford, (2) what can not be used against you, and (3) what you can be pretty confident will be consumed in the short term.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

alcohol.
give alcohol away in a 3:1 ratio.. (that way, when they're crapped out drunk, you can take their stuff from them..)

im just sayin'

the reality is that you might be able to survive in a small group, but it takes numbers in order to thrive and rebuild.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would think the order of importance that you point out is inverted.  Social skills & fitness (or lack of) is going to reek havoc on society if the SHTF.

I can see two scenarios: (1) a national collapse where the rest of the world copes or even ignores the situation and (2) a world wide apocalypse where there's little hope of returning to normalcy.  Preps for each would be totally different.  For example, silver may be useful in the first because what you need is still available; logistics of access being the major issue.  But in the second, silver would be useless unless there was a significant source of necessities available.  

In my situation (yours possibly being different) the initial stages of either will likely be similar so that's what I prep for.  If, in a SHTF situation, I can close my gates and survive for up to a year then the world will have likely changed so much that I won't recognize it when I open up.  There is no sure way to prep for what has never occurred so prep for scenario #1 and pray #2 never happens.

View Quote

We have a lot of beef we will need to trade.  We can only take do many perishable goods in trade. Silver or gold will have to become the standard currency and history bears this out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Let me see if i got this right....where preppers are failing is focusing too much on guns, food and sustainable homesteading?  That's not failing, that is what successful prepping looks like.  
View Quote

I think what he is saying is that people tend to focus on 'one' of those three things, to the detriment of the others.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Good info and definitely something for people to think about.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Why would anyone not want you posting things like this?  Great stuff!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Good points to consider. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Ferfal has been where we are headed, shut up and pay attention
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just like putting your eggs all in one basket, concentrating on only one or two aspects of survival is a recipe for disaster.

View Quote

This.

Extremism in anything is a path to failure.

" I have years worth of food, but no guns or way to cook it without power"

"I have 5 Ar's and a .50 cal, but no .22 to shoot squirrels"

"I have $3000 in gold, but no silver to trade for a pound of cheese"

"I have a bunker, but no backup plan if it is overrun or flooded"

Eggs need many baskets to last past the first bump.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Honestly it sounds like what I imagine some 'enlightened' talking head on cnn or msnbc might say about the modern prepping movement.  You may even find yourself nodding your head until you realize that taking it to heart means you need to move back to the city and rejoin the rat race.  If that's the life you enjoy, go for it I guess?

View Quote

Is this why you added the disclaimer at the top of OP?

I was here yesterday and didn't post. Mostly because this isn't GD and your post struck the same chord with me.

I enjoy this forum and you are one of the prominent posters. Please don't stop posting....just grow some thicker skin. I didn't read anything that would warrant the disclaimer. Very tame.

Now to your point....I am not sure that physical fitness is going to play into it. If a person isn't already diabetic then they will be skinny and wiry in no time flat post SHTF.

ETA:pic
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Gracias compadre
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Honestly, the best prep right now is to expand the number of friends and associates you have especially in the neighborhood, while things are 'normal'.

No man is an island, the definition of 'idiot' is "loner". The definition of civilization is "with other people". No matter how well stocked you might be, you still need other people. The more folks who are friends and family, the more skills, assets, etc. available inside your little corner of civilization. the more guards, the more trigger pullers, the more allies.... the more eyes and ears....

So right now I am reasonably confident that a dozen homes (of 100) have decent folk in them. No clue on their level of preparedness but it's a start.

View Quote

no one wants to be my friend
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#5 I am GUILTY.

My closest and oldest friend...very like minded...lives not far from me(could walk there in less than a day). His homestead is much better than mine. Secluded...artesian wells, natural springs,creeks,stocked ponds etc. He assumes I will go to him when the time comes.

The problem? Other than his wife and possibly daughter.....it is going to be a sausage fest of single males with no cable or porn. I have no doubt they will be a formidable force WROL..on the other hand they will be a formidable force WROL.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Good read.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be your friend
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Before you read: I post here because I like doing so. Its as simple as that. Some forum members have asked that I post more often because they find it more convenient. If you happen to be a person that simply doesn’t like what I write I encourage you to do the following:  Don’t read what I write. I know, a mind-blowing concept.
FerFAL
View Quote

Good read and all great points.  I doubt the people that need to hear that the most will even read it.  I have been trying to convince my supposedly preparedness-minded friends to engage in something besides gun buying and zombie fantasizing.  I won't write them off, because I still see them as a resource, but they are far from where they think they are.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
snip
If it gets to the point that people run out of cash, we'll have worse things to worry about.
View Quote

How many people do you know that could RIGHT NOW- without a trip to the bank, or cashing in PM's or investments, could put their hands on $10K cash in a few minutes?

How many could do that with $5K?

There was just an MSM article about how if you have $3500. your richer than most people out there.

A HUGE segment of the population is still and will most likely forever live "paycheck to paycheck" or close thereabouts. Most live in the danger zone of one major accident, one month's loss of income, etc. and they are FUBAR.

I think your overestimating how much the general public has as far as cash.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How many people do you know that could RIGHT NOW- without a trip to the bank, or cashing in PM's or investments, could put their hands on $10K cash in a few minutes?

There was just an MSM article about how if you have $3500. your richer than most people out there.

A HUGE segment of the population is still and will most likely forever live "paycheck to paycheck" or close thereabouts. Most live in the danger zone of one major accident, one month's loss of income, etc. and they are FUBAR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Yep. Most people I know have no cash at all.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Tagged for later reading.

I don't always agree with your viewpoints, but appreciate your insight.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They say leaders lose wars by fighting based on ideas from the last conflict.  The problem is the new conflict may not be anything like the last one.  It's the same with prepping.  Someone in Africa or South America may be worried about his savings and runaway inflation or a defunct currency.  Preppers in America should consider the experience of those in other nations, but that doesn't mean our next big crisis will be economic in nature, or that that will be the biggest thing to worry about.  Converting stocks into gold may be a fruitless exercise that gets you just as dead as the next guy.  Investing in some farmland and a nice setup may prove wiser.  Country life beats Chicago, NYC or LA, any day of the week. YMMV
View Quote

He didn't say that focusing on all those things was a failure. Those are listed as separate "types of failures." i.e focusing on one of these things to the exclusion of others is failure. A guy that has 7 ARs and 15 Glocks, and 20,000 rounds of ammo for each gun, and 10 magazines for each, and has trained with Travis Haley 15 times, but then has one case of MREs is unbalanced in his preps. A guy that has 35 years of food storage, and plans to defend it with a baseball bat is failing.

Regarding the city vs. country living, that is debated often by different folks, mostly people justifying why they live where they live right now. I personally live in the country because this is where I grew up. I like it. I want my kids to grow up this way. I hate being around a lot of people. Pretty sure Ferfal prefers the suburbs/outskirts of city because of some bad things that happened with folks that lived out in the middle of no where when he was in Argentina. His experiences haven't dissuaded me from my choice of where to live.

I would rather live on the moon than live in Chicago. Literally.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#48]
There are some nice parts of Chicago [area]...  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

He didn't say that focusing on all those things was a failure. Those are listed as separate "types of failures." i.e focusing on one of these things to the exclusion of others is failure. A guy that has 7 ARs and 15 Glocks, and 20,000 rounds of ammo for each gun, and 10 magazines for each, and has trained with Travis Haley 15 times, but then has one case of MREs is unbalanced in his preps. A guy that has 35 years of food storage, and plans to defend it with a baseball bat is failing.

Regarding the city vs. country living, that is debated often by different folks, mostly people justifying why they live where they live right now. I personally live in the country because this is where I grew up. I like it. I want my kids to grow up this way. I hate being around a lot of people. Pretty sure Ferfal prefers the suburbs/outskirts of city because of some bad things that happened with folks that lived out in the middle of no where when he was in Argentina. His experiences haven't dissuaded me from my choice of where to live.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me it was the thread title: The problem with many Preppers/Survivalists: Reality being wrong about stuff. I am sure Freud could tell me why this will get negative attention.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Not so many guns????

Guns and ammo are a hard asset, real property, a hedge against inflation, and in a SHTF/TEOTWAKI/zombieclypse they are also excellent barter material. Somebody without a firearm at all would trade you a truck for a .22 and a brick of ammo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top