Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:54:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, no way I would be comfortable with a $250 survival kit! BUT it is a start in the right direction.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That would be a great start with a 22LR or 12 gauge pump,  Might find a pistol you like for that money.  Shop new or used.  Pawn shops are a great place to price guns.  Make them an offer.  

Guns are the fun part!

View Quote

$150 and $20 for buckshot will leave you less than naked and defenseless.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
No way OP, well maybe if you went to Harbor freight you could get some of those things.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#4]
It could be done.  A zip gun could be built cheap.  But many legal issues come into play and I don't reccomend it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It could be done.  A zip gun could be built cheap.  But many legal issues come into play and I don't reccomend it.
View Quote

Many old single shot 12 gauges are $50 to $70. Why make a useless toy?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i started with less than that...

i live by one simple mantra when it comes to this stuff... by what you can afford today, and always be upgrading. get the basic, then begin selling off and trading up for better gear. After 10 years or so i ended up with top line gear that will outlast my kids. in the mean time i had usable gear for today.
View Quote

Truth

The best gear in your hand next year means nothing if the emergency happens tomorrow. If you don't have the means to buy once/cry once, you build up to it even if it ends up costing a little more.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Including

- gun
- ammo
- backpack
- clothing
- gear
- tools

Let's say this is for police state/zombies/ something with lots of shooting involved
View Quote

Gun - any pawn shop Bubbad mosin...or 22
Ammo - yip
Pack - Med Alice with or with out frame
Clothing -what ya wearing now in earth tones
Gear -like???  Compass?  Water bottle ...your bed sheets and tarp...add a BIC lighter and a metal cup etc from your kitchen bam instant gear.
Tools - 6-1 screwdriver or dollar store multi tool

So yeah you could get set up. Would you look like cooldaddy uber navy seal survival God.
Nope.
But you could advance your gear if your skills matchmatched what your scenario is....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Keeping link cold:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/3629192/south-carolina-rifles-for-sale--marlin-model-60--22-rifle-with-extras

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're under budgeted, which I would say is the case here, look for the the items which give high value for low cost. You could spend $200 on the Ruger 10/22, and that would represent 80% of your budget but would not solve 80% of the problems you face in a police state. However, a mora knife is $12 or 4.8% of your budget and will probably solve 4.8% of the problems you face.

20lbs of white rice for $11 (4.4% of budget) will solve at least 4.4% of your problems, since hunger will probably be the biggest short term problem you face.

Going about it that was\y will help you prioritize.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Those who say that $250 isn't enough to buy a decent SHTF setup might be too dependent upon hardware.  People have survived on less with knowledge and the right mindset.  Perhaps a better question would be what would you do if you only had $250?  Consider the environment and the most probable scenarios and then prioritize equipment needs and spending.

For a person with no experience?  How about an instructional manual or better yet a DVD, such as Survivorman. Maybe $20?
A canteen, canteen cup, water purification tablets, and canteen cup stove should cost about $40.
I know a person who recently purchased a 20 gauge Remington 870 (youth) for $50 at a yard sale.  
Add another $25 for some slugs and birdshot...or convert some birdshot to slugs.
A good knife (with a magnesium fire starter or other fire starter) and / or multi tool might cost about $50.
Some paracord, two rolls of gauze, some super glue, a few nitrile gloves, and a lighter or matches can probably be purchased at Wal Mart for about $10.
Rain gear can be made out of a trash bag and most people have a bag and extra clothing.  
That still leaves more than $50 dollars, totally feasible.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
$300 got me a running vehicle

So I can post soon "the $500 bugout setup"
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Been using one of these for cutting some OSB installing a vent-ed kerosene heater for a few minutes the past 2 days.

Many applications in the woods for these, very sharp and aggressive, very low cost. I can think of a lot of things preppers put in their BOB's I'd trade for one of these.

Then there's handles for reciprocating saw blades that might cost slightly more and the blades come in all types and sizes, from an abrasive blade [incl diamond] that would make short work of a lock, to aggressive wood teeth, to fine metal cutting blades.

Pick the handle that floats your boat

I have this one...

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Mora Knife $15

German Surplus Ruck  $25

could be done with a bookbag for a little less- but that ruck is a great value

Sawyer mini Filter w/ adapters $25

Frog Togs Poncho $18

Fleece Throw Blanket  $12

Cooking Cup   $10

headlamp $15 w red LED

Wood gas stove  Free

Total   $120

Things that you probably already have or could be done as part of a normal Wal-Mart trip

2x 1L "Smart Water" bottles

gallon Ziplocks

duct tape

ski cap

hoody or sweater

spare t-shirt underwear & socks

Vaseline soaked cotton balls

3 Each Cliff Bars, Ramen Noodles, cans of Tuna, Knor Pasta side

1st aid kit with band-aids, basic meds triple antibiotic

cofee filters

soap and toothbrush

That makes a good starting BOB- urban landscape or woodland (as long as it's not to cold)

ETA Directions - stove, matches and tinder go inside cup; duct tape is wrapped around water bottles; spare clothes and everything else go inside ziplocks, edge the ziplocks for duct tape for strength

Add a good pair of boots, something besides office clothes and you are on the way

Take the rest and save for a good used pistol or pump shotgun

A high point pistol would be my cheapes choice for urban conceal ability, a New England Partner Pump would be my choice fo a more woodland setting.  Both can be done w/ ammo for under $300 easy.

View Quote
I came to post a set-up exactly like yours.  My LGS has new 9mm Hi-points for $160, so with that and your top list he could be real close.  scrounge around the house for extras of that bottom list, $10 worth of ammo and he would be set-up and it would be better than 90% of the population.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

What kind of vehicle?

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Not even close
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those who say that $250 isn't enough to buy a decent SHTF setup might be too dependent upon hardware.  People have survived on less with knowledge and the right mindset.  Perhaps a better question would be what would you do if you only had $250?  Consider the environment and the most probable scenarios and then prioritize equipment needs and spending.

For a person with no experience?  How about an instructional manual or better yet a DVD, such as Survivorman. Maybe $20?
A canteen, canteen cup, water purification tablets, and canteen cup stove should cost about $40.
I know a person who recently purchased a 20 gauge Remington 870 (youth) for $50 at a yard sale.  
Add another $25 for some slugs and birdshot...or convert some birdshot to slugs.
A good knife (with a magnesium fire starter or other fire starter) and / or multi tool might cost about $50.
Some paracord, two rolls of gauze, some super glue, a few nitrile gloves, and a lighter or matches can probably be purchased at Wal Mart for about $10.
Rain gear can be made out of a trash bag and most people have a bag and extra clothing.  
That still leaves more than $50 dollars, totally feasible.

View Quote

Lets take that a step further to reduce cost
You could take a 2 liter soda bottle and some 550 cord and
use that for a canteen. Then use a soup can for a basic stove
and for a cook pot
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not even close
View Quote

Depends on your definition of decent.

Starting from literally scratch? No.

Most people don't have to start from scratch.

Most people will have a back pack or duffle. Maybe not deal, but capable of holding shit.

I'm not much of a prepper, but living in the Northeast I already have long underwear, heavy hiking socks, and several pairs of boots.

I have fleece and shell jackets to layer.

First aid kits, yup, have em.

Put some bleach in an old saline bottle for water purification.

For food; dry oatmeal packets; canned salmon, tuna, or chicken; jerky; energy/protein bars

A decent knife like a Mora

A couple 1 liter Naglene bottles

Surplus mess kit with a cup that can double as a pot, and a folding frame for cooking

Bic lighters, cotton balls, Vaseline

Parachord

A couple of cheap tarps and a dozen rolled up heavy duty garbage bags

Local map (can usually get for free from a local visitor center)

Basic but decent compass

LED headlamp and a couple AA single cell flashlights

FRS radio, or a Baofeng with AA conversion

As for a firearm, I'd look for a used but functional .22lr, .22mag, or 12/20 GA. If you look you can find something for $50.

$250 of mediocre kit can keep you alive long enough to scrounge elsewhere during an emergency.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#18]
You did not say for how long, for how many, or what your plan is..................

I will play:

$80 Mosin Nagant  (had $15 in points on my Cabelas CC) with bayonet, sling, tools and ammo pouch.
$25 worth of surplus ammo (How much are you really going to use?)
$10 Backpack I got at Goodwill
$15 worth of food from my Kitchen (jar of peanut butter, sardines, crackers
$0 reused 2 liter water bottle
$0 blanket from my bed
$0 for small steel pot, and silverware from my kitchen
$0 free books of matches from various stores
$0 free Harbor Freight flashlights, batteries and tarps (with coupons)
$10 worth of paracord
$0 raincoat I already have
$0 Free online information on Woodcraft
$15 Mora knife
$7 hatchet from Harbor Freight (with coupon)
$1 worth of trashbags
Any money left will be kept as cash on my person.

You do not need to buy all the tactical wiz-bang stuff to keep yourself alive during an emergency.

Looks like I have the following covered:

Shelter (tarp and rope)
Warmth (blanket and matches)
Food
Water (collect rainwater with tarps)
Personal Defense (not to got to war, but to stop  a threat)
Ability to hunt game
Knowledge

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I found a North Face Walkabout ND45 backpack at a Salvation Army for $5.

It had a stain.

There are bargains out there, you have to look. Do not forget to buy quality boots/shoes and socks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
$80 Marlin model 60 from local pawn shop might get you started and a used Jansport D-3 for a backpack on craigslist.
View Quote

I think you could get started for $250.

The above described $80 marlin .22

A couple boxes of .22 ammo. (Price all over the map currently, but let's just say $5).
Thrift shop backpack. $7.
Thrift shop Used carharrts pants $5
Thrift shop Used jacket $8
Thrift shop heavy duty used hiking/work boots. $15
Harbor freight tarp $7
Harbor freight rope/twine $5
Harbor freight magnesium fire starter on sale now for $2.79
Tin can to make hobo stove. Free with scrounging.
Repurpose Gatorade bottle for canteen. Free.
Repurpose fosters beer can or other can for cook pot. Free
Pawn shop Leatherman or multi tool copy $15.

That covers in its most basic form: gun, ammo, shelter clothing, fire  and means to cook food.

That's roughly $150.

That gives you $100 for food. Go to the Family Dollar/ similar dollar store and choose wisely.

I think with that basic setup a person could survive long enough to better their situation.

It may not be Uber cool in the eyes of a certain element, but you likely would not draw much attention since your not in your cool guy multiCam, carrying your AR 15 and Glock.

I think I could get by with the above described loadout.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Your point is valid but I find your prices are 5 years too late. What kind of 10 dollar bag can you get at good will? Not that you've ever seen, but that you can buy today? Everything I've seen has gone up in price 100 or 200+ percent in price recently. You used to be able to get a great backpack for 5 bucks at good will. Now at good will I haven't seen one there for years.... go to a surplus or another used gear shop and its 25+ for a used pack around here.

I used to shop goodwill twice a week for stuff I  needed, pots, candle holders, sofa's, boots, knifes, tee shirts, jeans or even jewelry when it was in when I was poorer. Now there's nothing worth going for but clothes. 100 other people know a deal when they see one and just can't afford to buy new. Cast iron pans seem a thing of the past, so do lanterns, pocket knifes, tools, boots, and oil lamps. I just don't see deals like I used to, and not because the prices rose, but because the items have just vanished from the locations that sold them cheap. Everyone seems to know what they have and what it's really worth. The days of good deals on used gear appear dead to me.

Same thing with guns. Any semi auto military gun, even in horrid condition is worth 150+ dollars. They've gone the way of SKSs and WASRs 3-5 years ago you could get a deal, now a crappy, barely firing SKS is 180+ (then 25 shipping and 25 to the FFL). A decent condition one combat ready is easily 300+. Look at the price of 5.45 over the last 5 years. Seems to me the only great deal left in firearms in the mosin nagant, and even those have gone from 60 dollars to 100+, same with ammo.

I've got nothing against used gear, but the prices and value certainly have not maintained what they once where. You still can probably save 66% for some things but the days of a 50 dollar ruck for 5 bucks seem gone to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting thread with a tremendous opportunity to apply critical thinking skills and innovation.

Yes, its hilarious how many people in this thread don't consider used gear....

If you shopped around and took your time you could probably get
a nice pack for $3 to $5 at Goodwill. REALLY nice jacket for another $8
tacticool pants for $3.95. You could make a pepsi can stove for nothing.
Probably a $1 bill for cook pot.

You would need to carefully consider exactly what you needed a firearm for.....
Self-protection? What are the realistic distances you expect you might have to
use it? 2-25 feet, perhaps out to 25 yards? How do you plan on carrying and concealing it?
A 28 inch barreled 91/30 Mosin would not be on the top of my list. It's silly long, so long
the Soviets dumped it because even they thought it was too long....its action is very slow
and it has an awful safety.

A pistol would be ideal for most likely scenarios. But they tend to be expensive.
Shotguns can be found at very reasonable prices. Bolt action shotguns can often
be found for $50 to $75. Pump shotguns for around $100. You just have to look.
A friend scored a gorgeous Stevens take-down 520 12 gauge pump for $130 at the last
show. I would not want a single-shot.

Old military bolt guns can often be found very cheap if they are oddballs. While scorned
and overlooked one I would consider would be one of the very small Italian Carcano 6.5mm
carbines. They are very short, light, easy to carry, very quick handling and fast to reload
thanks to their mannlicher clip system. Remember, you will likely be employing it at well under
100 yards, likely less than 25 yards for most realistic situations. A friend employed a 7.35mm
Carcano in a self-defense situation and it flattened his attacker with one round of 1938 vintage ball.
Try to find one for $50 to $75

How many rounds would you realistically need? 20 max? Do you honestly think you are going to shoot
more than that in a scenario likely to happen? On a rifle I'd check its zero, check function and
call it good. With a shotgun I'd pattern it at 15, 25, 50, and 100 yards with buckshot and call it good.
I have seen A LOT of working guns which put a lot of meat in the pot in rural Maine which were very
basic, old and often repaired blue collar guns. Crude even. Guns don't have to be fancy.

The same goes for knives. You could spend some time sorting through kitchen knives at goodwill
to find a good fixed blade knife and make a sheath out of some cardboard and duct tape. Probably
cost you $1

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

what other ideas can you come up with?

Your point is valid but I find your prices are 5 years too late. What kind of 10 dollar bag can you get at good will? Not that you've ever seen, but that you can buy today? Everything I've seen has gone up in price 100 or 200+ percent in price recently. You used to be able to get a great backpack for 5 bucks at good will. Now at good will I haven't seen one there for years.... go to a surplus or another used gear shop and its 25+ for a used pack around here.

I used to shop goodwill twice a week for stuff I  needed, pots, candle holders, sofa's, boots, knifes, tee shirts, jeans or even jewelry when it was in when I was poorer. Now there's nothing worth going for but clothes. 100 other people know a deal when they see one and just can't afford to buy new. Cast iron pans seem a thing of the past, so do lanterns, pocket knifes, tools, boots, and oil lamps. I just don't see deals like I used to, and not because the prices rose, but because the items have just vanished from the locations that sold them cheap. Everyone seems to know what they have and what it's really worth. The days of good deals on used gear appear dead to me.

Same thing with guns. Any semi auto military gun, even in horrid condition is worth 150+ dollars. They've gone the way of SKSs and WASRs 3-5 years ago you could get a deal, now a crappy, barely firing SKS is 180+ (then 25 shipping and 25 to the FFL). A decent condition one combat ready is easily 300+. Look at the price of 5.45 over the last 5 years. Seems to me the only great deal left in firearms in the mosin nagant, and even those have gone from 60 dollars to 100+, same with ammo.

I've got nothing against used gear, but the prices and value certainly have not maintained what they once where. You still can probably save 66% for some things but the days of a 50 dollar ruck for 5 bucks seem gone to me.

I've seen a few basic back packs at Salvation Army for $5.  They also had lots of cheap cutlery and pots and pans.

Most cheap surplus guns are indeed gone, but you can always find a cheap .22 like a used Mossberg Plinkster for under $100.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What kind of vehicle?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of vehicle?

Blazer
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
$80 Marlin model 60 from local pawn shop might get you started and a used Jansport D-3 for a backpack on craigslist.
View Quote

He said a situation involving lots of shooting.

Just take that $250 and buy a casket OP.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FEMA has stacks for free...
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#26]
If you garage sale and go to farm auctions then you probably could put something decent together eventually for $250.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Including

- gun
- ammo
- backpack
- clothing
- gear
- tools

Let's say this is for police state/zombies/ something with lots of shooting involved
View Quote

Maybe one chance in a million.  Sorry.

Instead, realistically prioritize what your most pressing needs are, and address them with wise purchases, one by one.
Not sexy or fun, but works the best.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#28]
You could get pretty close.

Garage sales, goodwill, and similar sources for gear will save a ton of money.

I would almost be willing to put something together just to prove the concept.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Got a Ranger 22 rifle for $75, but a brick of ammo for $30. spend the rest on pack, water not a bad start.

Mosin rifle $100-$125

440rds ammo $100

$25 pack.

Close but no supplies tools.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top