User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
simply not true.

flu is an upper respiratory disease that causes forcefull coughing., expelling small droplets that hang in the air for long periods of time and has a robust protein membrain that keeps it viable on contact surfaces for days.

Ebola does neither of these things, as evidenced by the family members of Duncan living in the same appartment that did not get it, or the nurses traveling on airplanes with fever, or the doctor in NYC traveling on subways.

All of these infected individuals potentially exposed thousands of people and nobody has come down with it. You simply could not do that with flu.

It does mot spread the same. Simple fact.
View Quote

Then explain to me how people are getting it.
Because I have a hard time believing that they're getting it by touching vomit or shit. (because in this country we dont touch either of those from a HEALTHY person, even)

I get that it isn't as easily transmitted as the flu.  I strongly suspect that is because during flu season, you're literally surrounded by it all the time (whereas you are probably only exposed to Ebola in happenstance).

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Apparently the amount of virus present in bodily fluids you would have the possibility of coming in contact with is very low until the late stages.  That explains why none of Duncan's family got it (they likely had very limited physical contact with him after showing symptoms) but two nurses wearing improper PPE did.  Add to that several of the medical procedures performed on him had a big possibility of creating aerosolized droplets (ever seen a breathing tube pulled out of a person? I have, it is nasty and no doubt there are droplets everywhere in the air) and the nurses were unprotected.  Contrast that with Emory where none of the healthcare workers have become infected, probably because they already have loads of personnel experienced with infectious diseases.  The sudden push for mandatory quarantine was helped along by Nancy Snyderman, NBC medical consultant, who couldn't even keep to her own self-imposed quarantine.  

Funeral rites in that section of Africa are helping spread the disease as well.  Often the dead is kissed on the mouth by family before burial, the people preparing the body are unprotected, etc.  Combine that with a population with no education about infectious diseases and you have the perfect vector for infection.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because I have a hard time believing that they're getting it by touching vomit or shit. (because in this country we dont touch either of those from a HEALTHY person, even)

I get that it isn't as easily transmitted as the flu.  I strongly suspect that is because during flu season, you're literally surrounded by it all the time (whereas you are probably only exposed to Ebola in happenstance).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
simply not true.

flu is an upper respiratory disease that causes forcefull coughing., expelling small droplets that hang in the air for long periods of time and has a robust protein membrain that keeps it viable on contact surfaces for days.

Ebola does neither of these things, as evidenced by the family members of Duncan living in the same appartment that did not get it, or the nurses traveling on airplanes with fever, or the doctor in NYC traveling on subways.

All of these infected individuals potentially exposed thousands of people and nobody has come down with it. You simply could not do that with flu.

It does mot spread the same. Simple fact.

In the US, only healthcare workers have gotten it most likely due to no decon procedures.

In west africa, just look at the pictures of how they live
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Obviously there is much misinformation out there, fear and gov lies. We should talk about down to earth real preps for potential ways to deal with it or any other virus. Is there a thread here or is this it? Advise.
View Quote

fact is that one of us has about as much chance of catching ebola, as we do of being hit by a meteorite.  Unpleasant when it happens, but damn, there are more pressing issues out there.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

fact is that at this point in the spreading of the virus in the US, one of us has about as much chance of catching ebola, as we do of being hit by a meteorite.  Unpleasant when it happens, but damn, there are more pressing issues out there.  But, of course, if we lived in West Africa, 1/4 of us would already be dead.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obviously there is much misinformation out there, fear and gov lies. We should talk about down to earth real preps for potential ways to deal with it or any other virus. Is there a thread here or is this it? Advise.

fact is that at this point in the spreading of the virus in the US, one of us has about as much chance of catching ebola, as we do of being hit by a meteorite.  Unpleasant when it happens, but damn, there are more pressing issues out there.  But, of course, if we lived in West Africa, 1/4 of us would already be dead.  

fixed it for you...
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Recently my doctor told me that ebola has a very hard time living on hard surfaces. It needs warm, moist tissue. A few hours at best. TB survives on hard surfaces for many days because it is in spore form.

Now I see on Drudge this AM study says ebola can live 50 days on hard surfaces. True or lies or who knows. This is the shit I'm talking about. Is my doc wrong? Is this study wrong?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

airborne transmission is still droplet transmission, it is just a function of droplet size and how robust the protein shell of the virus is determining how long the protein membrane can protect the virus in the environment keeping it viable.
View Quote

THANK YOU!

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Recently my doctor told me that ebola has a very hard time living on hard surfaces. It needs warm, moist tissue. A few hours at best. TB survives on hard surfaces for many days because it is in spore form.

Now I see on Drudge this AM study says ebola can live 50 days on hard surfaces. True or lies or who knows. This is the shit I'm talking about. Is my doc wrong? Is this study wrong?
View Quote

probably they are both right: ideal case, it can survive for days in a large blood clog or mucus, in very unfavorable circumstances it can die within hours or minutes. thats the problem, this isn't an exact science and it's VERY risky to er on the side of the most favorable outcome.
I'd rather consider it as easy to spread as flu, even if its not as likely, rather than  gamble my life with 5-10% chance of getting freaking ebola.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

THANK YOU!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

airborne transmission is still droplet transmission, it is just a function of droplet size and how robust the protein shell of the virus is determining how long the protein membrane can protect the virus in the environment keeping it viable.

THANK YOU!

You're mostly right, but true airborne transmission also carries the ability to survive once the droplet has dried up, i.e in dust particles and whatnot.  But, I see where you are coming from, that virus that was dried onto the dust particle started as a droplet.  Think TB.  There is a reason that they used to burn down homes that had TB in them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You're mostly right, but true airborne transmission also carries the ability to survive once the droplet has dried up, i.e in dust particles and whatnot.  But, I see where you are coming from, that virus that was dried onto the dust particle started as a droplet.  Think TB.  There is a reason that they used to burn down homes that had TB in them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANK YOU!

Wow. For some reason while I was reading this thread, I thought, "FlameThrower!" And then you talk about burning down houses... Does that make me a weird person?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wow. For some reason while I was reading this thread, I thought, "FlameThrower!" And then you talk about burning down houses... Does that make me a weird person?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANK YOU!

Weird for thinking flame thrower and burning the world down to solve a problem? No. Of course that isn't weird. I have that thought several times a day... But I come from a long line of pyromaniacs...

A lot of folks are getting hung up on the "airborne" or not thing. Just keep in mind from medical professional's stand point that word has a specific meaning that may not be the same thing you are thinking of. You may be thinking in terms of contact vs. Airborne being the only options. Droplet transmission is "airborne" in the sense that you are thinking if it. I.e. You don't have to touch the person. You can be close to them and get droplets on you without touching them. As stated well already in this thread and others, airborne from the standpoint of a medical professional means there is transmission through the air in the absence of relatively heavy droplets. This distinction matters in terms of how you set up isolation. Most of us probably had attendings that would jump all over us during training for using a word the wrong way. Like to this day I can't say someone was "dehydrated" I have to say "volume depleted".
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I've never seen anything on this but I am curious as to: How long is the life expectancy of someone who recovers from this?
Since it basically liquefies you innards and stresses the organs.
IDK?
I've heard friends bet that these Dr's and nurses won't last a year.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've never seen anything on this but I am curious as to: How long is the life expectancy of someone who recovers from this?
IDK?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
IDK?

Looks like they live longer than a year but may have residual issues that last longer
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/surviving-ebola-for-those-who-live-through-it-what-lies-ahead/

Medical experts say most people who manage to recover from an acute Ebola infection will likely be able to return to their life and resume normal activities. But unfortunately, Ebola survivors do often develop certain chronic inflammatory conditions that affect the joints and eyes, problems that can follow a survivor through the remainder of their life. Dr. Amar Safdar, associate professor of infectious diseases and immunology at NYU Langone Medical Center, told CBS News these chronic conditions are a result of the body's immune response.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
people,
Ebola is a virus that spreads exactly like the flu.

exactly like the flu.

let me say it again for the "it's of no concern to us, in this country" crowd

exactly like the flu.

If you've ever had the flu, you just as easily could have contracted Ebola.

Quarantine works.
N95 masks work.
Washing your hands constantly works.

View Quote

Not  really. The flu is airborne, Ebola is not. Anyone presenting symptoms  of ebola is not walking around. They are in bed  soon after.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Recognizing that the OP questioned about "how to deal with ebola" I found the following from the front lines.

link

Social distancing still seems like best bet, grocery store before drug store IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

fixed it for you...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fixed it for you...

you did not 'fix' shit, you just adjusted reality to suit your view.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]
PER the NY POST (not exactly a Right Wing propaganda machine).  Sneezing CAN transmit Ebola in airborne water droplets/saliva.

Quoted:
you did not 'fix' shit, you just adjusted reality to suit your view.  
View Quote
yeah, that's what I said.  I fixed it..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#20]
CDC states sneezing can transmit ebola

Take the link with a grain of salt, but MIT just did a study that showed   sneezing droplets can reach 20 feet

Ebola can live on surfaces for 50 days at 39 degrees. Welcome to winter.

CDC's own admission that ebola is worse than they're telling us.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife heard a history professor say recently that when something big happens in this country like a disease outbreak the very first thing the gov does is lie to the people for as long as they can.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone else think that there will be a couple of new cases immediately AFTER the election?
(so as not to spook people from standing in long lines at polling places and therefore not voting)
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone else think that there will be a couple of new cases immediately AFTER the election?
(so as not to spook people from standing in long lines at polling places and therefore not voting)
View Quote

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear of new cases after the election, but I don't think the timing would have to do with the election. I can see new cases coming to light from new travelers and from contamination from the worthless doc in NYC.

on edit: There is a new ebola tracking site that has been getting great reviews with regards to accuracy. I think it's more up to date than the first ebola tracking site.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
on edit: There is a new ebola tracking site that has been getting great reviews with regards to accuracy. I think it's more up to date than the first ebola tracking site.
View Quote

I'm not going to that website.
I heard you can catch Ebola from it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

My wife heard a history professor say recently that when something big happens in this country like a disease outbreak the very first thing the gov does is lie to the people for as long as they can.
View Quote
OK,

but that sounds like a tabloid headline type of thing.

Not that it isn't true, but be careful of what "experts" say.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#26]

If someone survives Ebola, can he or she still spread the virus?

Once someone recovers from Ebola, they can no longer spread the virus. However, Ebola virus has been found in semen for up to 3 months. Abstinence from sex (including oral sex) is recommended for at least 3 months. If abstinence is not possible, condoms may help prevent the spread of disease.

View Quote

How is abstinence "not possible"???????????????????????? Didn't know gang rape of male ebola survivors was a thing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
CDC states sneezing can transmit ebola

Take the link with a grain of salt, but MIT just did a study that showed   sneezing droplets can reach 20 feet

Ebola can live on surfaces for 50 days at 39 degrees. Welcome to winter.

CDC's own admission that ebola is worse than they're telling us.
View Quote

Quote----

"Take the link with a grain of salt, but MIT just did a study that showed   sneezing droplets can reach 20 feet"

Hell, I'm NOT a HI-IQ Idiot at MIT...

And I could have told you that...

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top