Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2014 10:26:30 PM EDT
Hi Guys, I'm looking for recommendations for an affordable generator that can output 240volts. 3.5-5kw should be sufficient. I would like a gas model that can be converted to propane. This will be a backup to my primary emergency generator which is a mil surp MEP-016B diesel. I need a unit that can output 240 volts to run my well pump. House is already wired with a transfer switch so having a second gen that I could plug in and run  should my diesel go down would be cool. being able to use gas and propane would give me further  redundancy. This is a backup for a backup so price is a consideration. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi Guys, I'm looking for recommendations for an affordable generator that can output 240volts. 3.5-5kw should be sufficient. I would like a gas model that can be converted to propane. This will be a backup to my primary emergency generator which is a mil surp MEP-016B diesel. I need a unit that can output 240 volts to run my well pump. House is already wired with a transfer switch so having a second gen that I could plug in and run  should my diesel go down would be cool. being able to use gas and propane would give me further  redundancy. This is a backup for a backup so price is a consideration. Thanks!
View Quote

define "affordable" ?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/668846_Champion_generator_model_46598_3_5KW_running___4_0KW_surge___observations__details__and_photos.html

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Cummins Onan 5000 W
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

define "affordable" ?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/668846_Champion_generator_model_46598_3_5KW_running___4_0KW_surge___observations__details__and_photos.html

ar-jedi

Affordable and my primary generator.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

define "affordable" ?

ar-jedi

That's my backup. Works great. Bought it last year because of the linked thread. Thanks Ar-jedi!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

define "affordable" ?

ar-jedi

Owned it for 4 years.  I recommend.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the smaller version and love it,  one pull starts and no fuel problems ever. Mine is only 120 volt though.
This one is 240.
Sportsman
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

define "affordable" ?

ar-jedi

Yup, bought me one yesterday...
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the single fuel version of this DuroMax 4000

Mine 4000 single fuel

I've only used it a few times but it handled -> 2 refrigerators, a 7cu freezer and my 240v well all on at the same time....
I brought them on line one at a time.

Starts easy with either the electric starter or the pull start. Runs A LONG TIME on a single tank.
I really like the circuit breaker (switch) for turning the outputs on and off.

Check Ebay for free shipping listings.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's my backup. Works great. Bought it last year because of the linked thread. Thanks Ar-jedi!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

define "affordable" ?

ar-jedi

MRS AR-JEDI SAYS: "mah baby dint do nuffin!"

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

define "affordable" ?

ar-jedi

Another vote for this one - Excellent performance and build quality for the money.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the suggestions everyone... think I am leaning towards the Champion 46598 given the positive reviews and low price
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top