Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 11:59:13 AM EDT
Structural Insulated Panels, anybody here or know of someone who is planning to build or has built their home utilizing this method of construction ?
I have been looking into this method for about a year now and so far on paper it looks good. I have read about the ups and downs, but I am looking for feedback
from homeowners.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Some threads in here as well as general discussion, probably archived so search there.

Will see who posts real life experience.

I think it comes in behind dome homes for being tough but sips let you use normal home decorating concepts while a dome would always look like half a golf ball or baseball or something if I get one to mess with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some threads in here as well as general discussion, probably archived so search there.

Will see who posts real life experience.

I think it comes in behind dome homes for being tough but sips let you use normal home decorating concepts while a dome would always look like half a golf ball or baseball or something if I get one to mess with.
View Quote

I did a search, but will try again using different words, and Thanks to Feral for moving the thread to better pastures
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure what the sort of panel your referencing.

We used an engineered interlocking panel IIRC 4 feet wide and 10 feet tall, that had an isocyanohowveryouspellit core for insulated siding of a Butler metal framed building in CA.

It has a stucco finish on the outside, has held up very well. There's steel sheet, maybe 20 or so gauge, on either side of the core insulation. Very strong and fast to install.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what the sort of panel your referencing.

We used an engineered interlocking panel IIRC 4 feet wide and 10 feet tall, that had an isocyanohowveryouspellit core for insulated siding of a Butler metal framed building in CA.

It has a stucco finish on the outside, has held up very well. There's steel sheet, maybe 20 or so gauge, on either side of the core insulation. Very strong and fast to install.

View Quote

It does not matter the material, but the concept, there are several foam cores being utilized now with various panels, mostly OSB. I am referencing SIPs built
homes vs. the traditional stick built. As you mentioned above ( in red ), that is what I am looking for in addition to long term workmanship.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what I'm referring to... Metal surfaces.

I always prefer to build with relatively fire resistant materials.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is what I'm referring to... Metal surfaces.

http://www.technoprefab.com/indonesia/images/technop_etc/techno_pir_03.jpg

I always prefer to build with relatively fire resistant materials.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I am building an ICF house with basement and an ICF roof. GOt blueprints and hope to start breaking ground right after it starts warming up again. I'm not crazy about doing concrete in the freezing winter or dead of summer.

Redman
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am building an ICF house with basement and an ICF roof. GOt blueprints and hope to start breaking ground right after it starts warming up again. I'm not crazy about doing concrete in the freezing winter or dead of summer.

Redman
View Quote

Nice, are you using Logix ICF Components or something similar ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top