Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2014 7:02:08 PM EDT
My wife is eternally cold. I can't figure out sometimes how her hands can be colder than the surrounding air but it happens regularly!

I bought this Little Buddy heater for her to use for the game tonight but also because I really wanted one forever. ...

It's doing a great job of warming up my wife and mother in law right now. Stupid easy to light. The infrared heat is the only way to go for an open air situation like this.  It's only 50 degrees right now.  It should run the whole time we are here on one pound of propane.  

I'm slightly down wind and I am getting nice heat as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#1]
This thing would not do well in the wind.  Seems fine in still air to light breezes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
This may not seem survival related but the mom in law wants to buy one. Yeah for self reliance!  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on your location and time of year. Cold weather can kill you faster than lack of water or food. So yeah definitely think it is survival related. I could see that being in a car emergency bag.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could see that being in a car emergency bag.
View Quote

I thought about this a while back. I scored an older model for $2 at a garage sale.  I can't get over the dangers of burning one In a tight enclosed space like a car or truck cab.  Also I would assume that their might be a risk of some sort associated with storing compressed propane in a car or truck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought about this a while back. I scored an older model for $2 at a garage sale.  I can't get over the dangers of burning one In a tight enclosed space like a car or truck cab.  Also I would assume that their might be a risk of some sort associated with storing compressed propane in a car or truck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could see that being in a car emergency bag.

I would think it would be more risk in the summer, but I would never store it in the passenger compartment
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
It ran out right at 5 hours with a refilled canister. Not too shabby!

I am very pleased with this thing!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Are propane heaters safe to run indoors?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The buddy line of heaters are
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, i can understand the concern about inside the cab of the vehicle, but i might would risk it depending on the situation. Also thinking in terms of if you have to leave vehicle. Like a wreck and it isn't safe. Grab your bag. I imagine if you made a shelter with a couple of tarps this thing would be great to have if you had trouble getting a fire going quickly. As far as storage goes with the propane, yeah, i imagine i would rather have those stored in the toolbox in the bed of the truck. Or something like that. I'm not sure how big the risk is. I'll defer to others who know more about that to educate us.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks!

Yes, specifically read up on catalytic heaters. The ones I keep in my cars during the winter are the Black Cat model, not sure who makes them. Puts out just under 4k BTU when cranked, and a 1ln propane can will last about 8 hours.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey batman,

Why U going to teh games in teh cold???

Round here we bring shade to teh game

If'n it rains we might call halftime to celebrate.

Srrsly:
A wise veteran of school sports told me:
Football season...take stuff to stay warm and dry
Basketball season...is indoors, so take your favorite drink.
Track season...Take ever thing...U gonna need to stay cool...U gonna need stay warm...etc. etc..

He Is Right
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top