User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/24/2014 3:57:43 PM EDT
What do you think?

Obviously you would need to learn the skills
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Utterly and completely useless without extensive practice.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Boltcutters
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true, it's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Boltcutters
View Quote

Boltcutters are heavy. A tension wrench and rake can fit in my wallet.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not so. Very easy in many cases...

But if caught carrying in many circumstances, prepare Uranus...

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Not worth it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting this should come up....

Yesterday was a bad day.  Among other things I managed to lock my keys in the car (still in the ignition).  The spare key I had gorilla taped in a magnetic case to the car was not where I left it.  I'll get a better look tomorrow but I have a hard time believing it fell off.

Anyway, AAA came and the guy used a sheet of plastic film, small plastic wedge, and just slid a rod in to activate the unlock toggle on the inside of the door controls.  I didn't think to do it but that could easily have been done with a coat hanger.  

That having been said, I used to keep a thin hook pick in my eyeglass case in high school.  You can open any door that opens outward with it.  No screwing with pins or tension wrenches.  I should probably sit down and try learning with the rest of the set.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, illegal in most states unless you are a locksmith (and sometimes even then if not part of your work kit) or law enforcement.
Plenty of easier options, including a compact crow bar. Most doors require very little effort to breach and the crow bar has plenty of other uses. At the very least, it's pretty good at breaking windows and clearing glass around the edges.
Nothing in my bug out plans includes breaking in anywhere I'd bother with lock picks. I do know how to use them, but in any context that isn't likely to result in jail time I can think of lots of better options than fiddling with them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really. I've had extensive training and had to train others.

About 50% of the padlocks and 20% of door locks can be defeated with almost no skill.

Every dial padlock can be shimmed, most master padlocks can be picked with a diamond pick and a tension wrench and some patience.

Most kwik set locks can be bumped or picked with very little skill.

Of your in a state where it is legal then the tiny amount of weight is worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYNoEIV12io

http://www.shvfd.com/SHVFD_homepage/Training/Entries/2009/3/21_FDNY_Forcible_Entry_Guide_files/FDNY%20forcible%20entry%20guide.pdf
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I will disagree and say it is a good thing to have.  It is NOT illegal in most states.  It is inexpensive and light to carry.  It would allow you access to any number of things, what is not to like?

A pick set starts at about $20.

It is not a difficult skill to pick up and it helps two fold.  If you learn to pick locks you will be able to get INTO things but you will also understand how to keep people OUT of things.  Most door/pad locks do not provide nearly the level of security one would believe.  Physical security is the same as computer security.  If you don't know how to get into things (and the fun) you will never understand keeping others out.

Don't bother buying a cutaway lock.  I just pulled a core out of an old house lock, started with 2 pins, than 3, etc.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I will disagree and say it is a good thing to have.  It is NOT illegal in most states.  It is inexpensive and light to carry.  It would allow you access to any number of things, what is not to like?

A pick set starts at about $20.

It is not a difficult skill to pick up and it helps two fold.  If you learn to pick locks you will be able to get INTO things but you will also understand how to keep people OUT of things.  Most door/pad locks do not provide nearly the level of security one would believe.  Physical security is the same as computer security.  If you don't know how to get into things (and the fun) you will never understand keeping others out.

Don't bother buying a cutaway lock.  I just pulled a core out of an old house lock, started with 2 pins, than 3, etc.  
View Quote

Very good point!

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#13]

A bit heavy,  but could come in handy.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A bit heavy,  but could come in handy.
View Quote

http://sledgeassociates.com/images/SledgeHammer.jpg  

That is heavy to carry in a BOB and sometimes it is best if people have no idea you were there.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:54:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really, you would be supprised how easy some locks are to pick. It isn't rocket science, bump keys make it even easier.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

About 50% of the padlocks and 20% of door locks can be defeated with almost no skill.

Every dial padlock can be shimmed, most master padlocks can be picked with a diamond pick and a tension wrench and some patience.

Of your in a state where it is legal then the tiny amount of weight is worth it.

I've picked Kwikset locks in as little as 10 seconds, and quit a few master pad locks in less than a minute, not much to it. Even the Kwikset smart locks are very easy to defeat.

http://www.shvfd.com/SHVFD_homepage/Training/Entries/2009/3/21_FDNY_Forcible_Entry_Guide_files/FDNY%20forcible%20entry%20guide.pdf
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've picked Kwikset locks in as little as 10 seconds, and quit a few master pad locks in less than a minute, not much to it. Even the Kwikset smart locks are very easy to defeat.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:38:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I know that with a simple set, I was able to pick my front door Schlage lock. It took a bit of patience, but with NO practice or training at all, first lock, first time, I did it in about 5-8 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Titanium bolt cutter

Shotgun

Battery-powered grinder

Solar panel charger

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Locksmith came to my house.

Went to back door. Asked if he could replace the handle. I said yes.

Took large channel locks, grabbed locked handle and twisted.

Sheared pins, door open. 5 seconds

Txl
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Locksmith came to my house.

Went to back door. Asked if he could replace the handle. I said yes.

Took large channel locks, grabbed locked handle and twisted.

Sheared pins, door open. 5 seconds

Txl
View Quote

Maximized his profit likely...  These  guys aren't stupid...

If he had picked the lock in a couple seconds, could have been a much cheaper call for you, but less profit for him.

So he got to replace and key up a lock set on your dime!

That's what I call a valuable learning experience, especially if you had a couple paper clips in your pocket....

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#22]
If in a SHTF situation why not just kick in the door?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I have this in my GHB.
http://www.dxsoul.com/product/manual-pick-gun-5-piece-set-901017606#.VE2zV_nF9qU
$12 and i can open pretty much any residential lock I have come across. Most everyone buys locks at home depot. Those are so easy its not even funny. I use it for work as well sometimes, with property owners approval, when they cant get equipment cages open or something similar.

Lets say it was a zombie snowpocolypse and your car was wrecked, you had to walk. its 9 degrees at night, ice and snow, and the only thing you happen upon is an empty warehouse for lease with a heated bathroom. You can simply walk in, thaw out, drop a deuce, refill your water bottles, charge your cellphone, and leave.

how about a realistic option. its snowpoloclypse 2.0 in atl. it comes out of nowhere and no one sees it coming. You are in an abnormal part of town for you. you are with your 2 kids. So its the 3 of you. You are right by that buddy's house from college or work, but he is across town. your car is locked in traffic. businesses close. you are out of gas from idleing it for 4 hours or worse the battery dies.

your kids are freezing and hungry. You call your buddy out of desperation and he says that he would love to let you in but there is no spare key and he is stuck a day away or out of town. your 6 year old has to use the bathroom or is getting sick.
he agrees to letting you lock pick gun the lock. you guys get to crash on the couch, use the bathroom, and charge your cellphone.

seems logical to me.

I have titanium bogota flats in the mail.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I recently started practicing with a tensioner and Bogata rake. Guess it depends on your personality, but I really enjoy doing it. And if you are good at it, it takes seconds to do. Like at my office, I needed to lock the cash drawer, but the key was in my truck. It was quicker to use the picks in my wallet than go out to my truck for the key.

The people who are into the sport of lockpicking refer to it as nondestructive entry. There are definitely ways to get locks open by breaking them. Usually the tools for that are rather heavy and cumbersome. You can have a rake and tensioner in your wallet. Also breaking a door down is muy loud.

I have learned as lot about locks messing around with this. And I find it to be fun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not really, you would be supprised how easy some locks are to pick. It isn't rocket science, bump keys make it even easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i have done the cheap "value brand" from walmart and home depot in one click from the lock gun. thats like 1.75 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

In life, it's usually best not to leave a trail of destruction behind you. Just because there's some emergency doesn't mean you get to go on a rampage like an 8 year old left unattended with power tools.
The real reason you want to be picking locks instead of destroying them is so you can lock them behind you. Let's say you're moving through the country and come across a locked gate. Smashing it down now signals to anyone behind you that someone went that way, let's them easily follow you, and pisses off whoever locked the gate. All of those are negative things that decrease your survival chances.
Picking the lock and closing it behind you doesn't immediately show that someone is traveling that direction, makes you harder to follow, and will reduce the chance of you getting shot if you meet the landowner later. All positives.
Same thing if you pick a lock to hole up in an abandoned building or shed. Locking the door behind you let's you stay there in peace, smashing in the door makes it an unsuitable place to stay.

As for the OP's original question, this is another area where skills are better than tools. With practice, a Peterson Pry Bar and a 3 simple picks can get you through most locks. If you practice enough, you can probably improvise lock picks out of things you're already carrying.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#27]
For a while I (and everyone else in my company) were under kidnapping threat.  I found a company called sere pick that specializes in tools for that situation.  One of the many nifty gadgets they sell is a set of picks that are designed to be hidden in your clothing to help escape from captivity.

Just to bring another dimension to this.  They also sold small handcuff keys, miniature ceramic razor blades, and small diamond dust coated rods.  All small enough to be secreted inside the seams and folds of your regular clothing where a kidnapper is unlikely to find them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a set from This place.

Raking is easy, picking is hard (for me). It's defiantly a skill that has to be developed.

I don't carry the set in a bag. I don't intend to break in anywhere, and if I did have to I'm confident I could get in some other way.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true at all. I bought a set and after half an hour, i could open every lock in my house with relative ease.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#30]
The information here should make it obvious to change locks to areas you want to have somewhat better security...

To some of the higher security locks.

Medico, the Schlage Primus series, and many others, will mostly stop and if not, slow down, surreptitious attempts at entry.

I've found ebay Sellers to have far better prices than the retail lock shops.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I would say that it is much easier and quicker to either kick in or smash your way through a door or lock than it is to pick it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#32]
In a SHTF or Snowpocoplips 2 situation, I have size 13 brogans on my feet.  They will defeat 90% of home door locks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking...
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

What about doors that open out?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In life, it's usually best not to leave a trail of destruction behind you. Just because there's some emergency doesn't mean you get to go on a rampage like an 8 year old left unattended with power tools.
The real reason you want to be picking locks instead of destroying them is so you can lock them behind you. Let's say you're moving through the country and come across a locked gate. Smashing it down now signals to anyone behind you that someone went that way, let's them easily follow you, and pisses off whoever locked the gate. All of those are negative things that decrease your survival chances.
Picking the lock and closing it behind you doesn't immediately show that someone is traveling that direction, makes you harder to follow, and will reduce the chance of you getting shot if you meet the landowner later. All positives.
Same thing if you pick a lock to hole up in an abandoned building or shed. Locking the door behind you let's you stay there in peace, smashing in the door makes it an unsuitable place to stay.

As for the OP's original question, this is another area where skills are better than tools. With practice, a Peterson Pry Bar and a 3 simple picks can get you through most locks. If you practice enough, you can probably improvise lock picks out of things you're already carrying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I was thinking. If the zombies come I want to be able to sleep someplace safe....not where they can just wander on in.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

You need intent for a crime.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Reading is fund....  

"The possession of such burglarious tools, implements or outfit by any person other than a licensed dealer, shall be prima facie evidence of an intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny. "

Therefore, you are likely taking the ride and shelling out $$$$$ for a defense that may not [most likely] be successful, depending prolly more than anything, on 'political connections' and the area where you are caught.

Can you afford to test 'intent' and risk the consequences of a felony conviction?  

Talk is cheap, taking the ride -not so much.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]
For years I've noticed that many states have very vague laws regarding "burglary tools". If the "interpretation" is left up to the cops, basic tools in most car tool kits could be considered "burglary tools". I think that's why lawyers say a vague law is a bad law.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
For years I've noticed that many states have very vague laws regarding "burglary tools". If the "interpretation" is left up to the cops, basic tools in most car tool kits could be considered "burglary tools". I think that's why lawyers say a vague law is a bad law.
View Quote

Indeed, may here are suggesting bolt cutters or sledge hammers, but depending on the circumstances one is found in, they could be considered burglary tools. In fact most actual criminals would be using bolt cutters or sledge hammers not lock picks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Indeed, may here are suggesting bolt cutters or sledge hammers, but depending on the circumstances one is found in, they could be considered burglary tools. In fact most actual criminals would be using bolt cutters or sledge hammers not lock picks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bet on it...    It 'depends'.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Don't bet on it...  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bet on it...  

While I was living in Mobile, AL there was a spree of home invasions and burglaries. Perpetrated by groups of 3-4 young men. They would break in in the middle of the day using a sledge hammer or in some cases they would hook a chain or rope up to security door and use a truck to rip it off the hinges. One of my patients was a retired deputy and he heard the truck pull up, grabbed his 870 and then they ripped the door off. They came in only to be met by the business end of his 870. They turned and ran. He got their tag number. It was registered to one of the youth's grand parents.

That crew had no working knowledge of lock picks or how locks worked.

ETA: Agree that it depends. In my AO most break ins are violent/destructive entries.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is what I was thinking. If the zombies come I want to be able to sleep someplace safe....not where they can just wander on in.
View Quote

Another issue to consider is the legal one. Let's say you smash down a warehouse door to camp out for the night. After you fall asleep, some other guys wander through, see the open door and come on in. Now what? You pull your gun and shoot somebody, you will most definitely go to jail for a very long time, because you weren't supposed to be there in the first place.
When you're doing illegal stuff, even harmless illegal stuff like spending the night in a maintenance shed, you MUST keep a low profile. Breaking down doors is a great way to get people to go out of their way to find the culprit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Here's how to deal with the legal possession issue. Lock picks aren't exactly precision instruments. Check it out:
http://youtu.be/PxKOabv353k
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Reading is fund....  

"The possession of such burglarious tools, implements or outfit by any person other than a licensed dealer, shall be prima facie evidence of an intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny. "

Therefore, you are likely taking the ride and shelling out $$$$$ for a defense that may not [most likely] be successful, depending prolly more than anything, on 'political connections' and the area where you are caught.

Can you afford to test 'intent' and risk the consequences of a felony conviction?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is fund....  

This is worth repeating. Actions have consequences. I would not want to be have to stand up in court and try to explain to my "peers" why I had lockpicks "just in case I needed them"

Now, if you keep them in your garage instead of carrying them around., I can certainly see how it could be a beneficial item to have.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I think its something worth considering, especially in an urban setting.
there is a fellow on youtube i think it is blackscoutsurvival he talks alot about it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"In life, it's usually best not to leave a trail of destruction behind you."

Wise words...

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#47]
I make my own lockpick sets. Real easy, and very precise. If you're going to carry one pick and one tension tool only, make it a Bagota Rake! Here's one I made..I've made better since then, but this is my first!!

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I make my own lockpick sets. Real easy, and very precise. If you're going to carry one pick and one tension tool only, make it a Bagota Rake! Here's one I made..I've made better since then, but this is my first!!

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r372/apowers22574/ARFCOM/6d920a5d.jpg
View Quote

Nice! What metal do you use?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Old hacksaw blades can be used.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#50]
I used to carry a lockpick gun. that was awesome, but it was large in comparison to picks, had moving parts, was cheap from china ($12 on dxsoul.com), and made noise

I was a bit apprehensive about the bogota tool kit. I have never picked a lock manually. I can work a lock pick gun but thats about it.
I ordered a bogota kit from ITS, and pulled it out of the box to give it a try. 4 minutes and 20 seconds to open my first lock. 1min 20sec to open my second, 20 sec to open my third.

now i use them as my house key when i come home from work. I can open those locks in under 20 seconds almost every time. My normal time is under 10 seconds. I wear them in my shirt at work as collar stays.
That is an awesome skill i am building for really no time commitment. maybe an extra minute here or there but you get my point.

oh, and I am ordering Mul-t-locks for sure.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top