Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2014 3:52:00 AM EDT
Ever been to one?

The reason I have gotten into "The survivalist mind set"
No water,no mail, no sanitation dept., sparse electricity (brown outs).
Little food, little technology,tribal warfare, not very many people with actual skill/trades.
No corporate food chains, grocery stores, malls, car dealerships, etc.,
Most of the roads are dirt. A lot of dead bodies pilled up.

Corrupt government.

It was day 3. I saw what appeared to be a 4 to 5 year old boy.
Boy was actually fighting an emaciated dog on a trash heap.
For what appeared to be food.

Poor little guy was probably 9 or 10. (malnutrition)
Dog lost.

The sad part, I watched. Instead of helping my fellow man, I watched.

Ch3f

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
yep, been a "survivalist" "Prepper" "end of the world nut" since spending time in Africa in the 70's
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#2]
American's don't know shit about how bad poverty is. I mean real deal, the kids are dying and there isn't food, or a house, or shoes, or anything poverty.
Our poor would be fucking kings in Haiti or parts of Africa and South America.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#3]
even South East Asia in the 70's was an eye opener
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]

I was in Detroit once....
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Iraq shortly after the invasion. Almost all of the above.

After public utilities and government authority break down, it's game on. If you are not the BAMF on the block, you are food/prey.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
even South East Asia in the 70's was an eye opener
View Quote

Been there, done that.  Spent June of "74" to June "75" there.  Been a prepper ever since...  specwar1
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Bosnia 98. Not close to 5th world but they started off as a 1st world and they destroyed themselves back to 3rd world conditions in most places.

Huge eye opener....its one thing to see a shitty country that's always been a shitty country but it was a shock to see a country that looks similar to "home" and you can tell they used to have electricity, public utilities, gasoline etc and then see them living like cave people in the shell of what they once had. Made it very easy to imagine it being home because there were familiar items everywhere yet it was all in massive disarray.

Horse drawn shells of cars, crops growing in the front yard of what used to be a house (that used to have doors, windows and a roof), ground floor rooms that used to be a living room turned into a stall for a live stock animal. People walking miles each way with dirty buckets to get the fresh water for the day.  Was bizarre to see the common signs of 1st world infrastructure you are familiar with but completely destroyed like those high tension power lines with the lines hanging to the ground and half the towers busted up and bent in half.

Or paved roads with so many shell craters in them there are more craters than flat pavement. yet the speed limit signs still stand next to the road and every so often you can make out the painted dividing line that use to run uninterrupted down the middle of the road.  Or nice modern bridges that are missing entire sections. Multistory office buildings & factories with uncountable small arms holes in the walls. Stuff like that. Was just a mind bender seeing how destroyed it all was.

The especially eye opening thing for me was dental issues, something I always took for granted and never considered before. I've always had a toothbrush and paste, dumb as it sounds it never occurred to me someone might not.  I probably have a lifetime of tooth brushes and half a lifetime of tooth paste now. It made a strong impression on me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Cite Soleil during the initial cholera outbreak.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was in Detroit once....
View Quote

^^
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#10]
How about Nicaragua???  It often trades places with Haiti as "poorest shithole in the Western Hemisphere".  I was in RAAN, the jungles of the northeast corner, which is basically the poorest corner of the poorest country.

Observations:  Nature sucks, especially when combined with human stupidity.  Some areas are huge natural floodplains, that are flooded during hurricanes.  Picture a riverside village in the jungle.  Now picture the entire area, hundreds of square miles, under 20 feet of flood water.  The government moved people to these areas.  (Of course, this makes as a much sense as Americans living in Red River/Mississippi flood plains).   Then the beach front hovels that are swept out to sea with each hurricane (welcome to FL).

We'd take crapped out school buses from the village to other smaller villages for missions work.  Ave road speed due to conditions:  about 10-15 mph.  We'd return at night, and could tell we were approaching the village by the smell:  Over-burdened outhouses, pig shit in the streets, and burning garbage.

Overall, was left with one major negative impression:  People are living where people should not be trying to live.  No soils to speak off and a truly miserable climate mean its incredibly hard to grow foods.  major regular storms that wipe out everything, geologic faults that cause regular quakes, volcanoes that erupt, etc.  I know we can often temporarily over come these with massive amounts of infrastructure and aid, but its not long-term liveable.  And I extrapolate that to 1st world countries.  Every time I see some idiot  build a home on a flood plain, at the foot of a massive slope, on a coastal barrier islands, I think "you stupid twat".....

No freaking money or development anywhere.  There was massive corruption at the govt level, so people overthrew the govt.  (I got to see the volcanic lake where the bodies of political dissidents where thrown during the 60's and 70's.  Its chilling).  Of course, the new government isn't any better.  Its just as corrupt.  The only ones with any resources are either elected politicians or the wealthy who control them.  It's not all that different from Washington.  How is it that a local middle class fella gets elected, goes to DC, serves three or four terms, and retires massively wealthy????

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:57:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
American's don't know shit about how bad poverty is. I mean real deal, the kids are dying and there isn't food, or a house, or shoes, or anything poverty.
View Quote

Yes sir. Most people Living in 1st world nations know jack and shit about poverty. "Survival"

First real experience about true poverty, (if you can call it that) was an Indian reservation in the Dakotas.
Funny thing, we went during the big biker rally in Sturgis, call it a 2 for 1.

Went to build a church and playground. The rez for the economical poverty.
Sturgis for the moral poverty. Half the people there had absolutely no moral compass.

There were however, some real good and extremely generous "bikers"
It was the meth using, whiskey drinking, sodomizing "bikers" that gave the most.

It always fascinates me, when push comes to shove, who really cares and gives.
When push comes to shove, who can really "Survive"

Ch3f
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:27:37 AM EDT
[#12]
We'll be there soon enough...

Quote:

The pro-amnesty Hispanic activist organization the National Council of La Raza helpfully promoted a Washington Post article explaining which states people can vote in without having to use a photo ID.

“Voter ID laws are at-issue across the country, with newly Republican-controlled legislatures having passed them in numerous states after the 2010 election,” explained The Washington Post’s Aaron Blake. “Most states still request some form of ID, but don’t require it. Another 20 states don’t require identification. In MOAR...

La Raza

Our country is being stolen right out from under us with the help of the Leftists Dems, mostly, and we're holding the door for them.

We will get exactly what we deserve and it will be amazing to watch while we're able.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:32:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Iraq shortly after the invasion. Almost all of the above.

After public utilities and government authority break down, it's game on. If you are not the BAMF on the block, you are food/prey.
View Quote
Not really.

Some aspects happened, sure.

But it wasn't the state of the country during normal times, and things bounced back quickly.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many of American's poor are obese.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:36:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We'll be there soon enough...

Quote:

The pro-amnesty Hispanic activist organization the National Council of La Raza helpfully promoted a Washington Post article explaining which states people can vote in without having to use a photo ID.

“Voter ID laws are at-issue across the country, with newly Republican-controlled legislatures having passed them in numerous states after the 2010 election,” explained The Washington Post’s Aaron Blake. “Most states still request some form of ID, but don’t require it. Another 20 states don’t require identification. In MOAR...

La Raza

Our country is being stolen right out from under us with the help of the Leftists Dems, mostly, and we're holding the door for them.

We will get exactly what we deserve and it will be amazing to watch while we're able.

View Quote

"We'll" be there soon enough. Interesting statement.
Would you like to expand on that topic? I would.
The great American experiment, The American Empire is dwindling for sure.

I have listened to many doomsday types spout their visions of rubble, strife, despair and Max Rockatansky scenarios.
I'm a bit older than most. I have been hearing about the end for some time. Even read about it a little bit.

Blaming social, economic, or political woes on a particular group, (Mexicans/democrats/republicans) is folly.

At the end of the day "WE" are to blame.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Ch3f
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top