BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Come on, don't leave us in suspense... You know you want to discuss it or you wouldn't have mentioned it. LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Come on, don't leave us in suspense... You know you want to discuss it or you wouldn't have mentioned it. LOL

There’s no point in saying who it is, although I’m sure it’s not any of the people you think I’m talking about. Still, goes to show my point, between the people you think I’m talking about that have behaved in such a way and the few others I’ve come across, there’s this pattern of “oh! Look at me! I’m such a great Christian! Hallelujah!” and being a lying sleazebag.

The only problem with that is that the reader directly assumes, unless otherwise told that the author/speaker does know WTF he is talking about. Really, why else would he write a book about a subject if he had no experience with it?  That's kinda the thought.

Perfect example- I had to change out my inverter for our alternate energy system. Old one was working fine on the DC side and was inverting to 115AC just fine, but the AC input from genset side was not taking power. I went through the manual, all the meters and tests, etc. Asked around, best answer was "wow you still have an SW4024, you know we are scraping the bottom of the barrel on those parts." Damn. Alright so I pop for a new inverter. Talked with the rep, told him I was looking for something simple to hookup- here's what connections my SW4024 has, are these hookups identical? Sure. OK, drop the coin.

Get it in, get the heavy sucker mounted, DC side good to go, AC out good to go, AC in from genset connections good to go. Genset started, inverter says "qualifying AC" for about 20 minutes. RTFB right? Did that, nada. Thinking to myself- "The old one needed a comm wire from the auto start murphy switch on genset, but where to hook that to the new?" Call up rep, he's not in. Screw it call the manufacturer, fifteen prompts and 3 people later I get Fred. Fred is a tech geek so I figure my chances are 50/50. Fred is consulting manual, referring to manual but not giving me straight answer. Fred finally admits not knowing his butt from an underground bunker... I ask Fred if he has ever INSTALLED one of these. Silence, "well we play around with them in the lab."

HUGE difference between "playing around with something in the lab" and real world applications.

The problem is- "Fred" could have simply told me that UPFRONT and I would have said "Ok thanks for your time Fred" and saved myself a bunch of BS.

We encounter that on the net and survival realm with people regurgitating info that isn't correct, is way outdated, etc. Kinda like the "use handwarmers instead of oxygen absorbers, some six hundred lb. guy that packed two buckets on youtube told me this" Really? Well damn, wonder why the professionals don't use handwarmers???

Basically what I'm saying is that when people don't know WTF they are talking about but the pride/ego issues don't allow them to say "hey listen I'm new to this", they are MISLEADING PEOPLE. Joe Blow NewGuy has no idea and doesn't really have the discernment yet to realize 600 lb. guy on youtube talking about hand warmers has no real long term experience storing food other than around his midline.....

Essentially, authors/writers/teachers have a responsibility to the audience. Can/will someone screw up? Yes. And let's be clear I'm not talking about stupid crap like is 9mm better than .45? AK vs. AR, etc. those are debates and are open to interpretation of the user. The crazy stuff like poor planning ideas, incorrect info on important topics like food storage, etc. that's what I'm referring to.

Can everyone be truly well rounded when it comes to skill sets? No, but you can and should always be learning. I flat out suck on edible and medicinal plants, my auto mechanics are mediocre at best, I've only made soap a couple times, I've only sutured on humans a couple times and the results were none too pretty LOL You get the idea. We ALL have something to "grow" in, but it's important to recognize that and by all means don't put yourself out there as a wine maker if you don't know about yeasts, etc.

What I've noticed is that people tend to put authors and "experts" on a pedestal. That brings unrealistic expectations and to be honest is very immature. There has been training instructors that I've seen people damn near worship, that when you really paid attention, you saw that they were learning themselves also.

The way I see it, you can write about things you’ve done yourself and learned from that, or you can learn from research and observation by learning from other people’s experience. In the academic world its pretty much impossible to try everything out and you basically learn through study. I don’t have the time to try loading different structural metal beams, I, L, H sections, in all different sizes possible, and tell you what’s the maximum load they can take. It makes much more sense to look it up in a chart.
More related to survival, you have something similar going on with shooting instructors. An instructor can have a given amount of experience, been involved in shootings, have killed people, and yet suck as an instructor, while another that has never seen the wrong side of a gun in the real world might be an excellent instructor. Given how vast survival and preparedness is, basically covering all aspects of life, its downright impossible to have experience on every field, or have tried everything out. Even if you do, doing something once or twice alone doesn’t make you an expert. I find that gathering valuable information and then forming an opinion and learning based on that is more useful in most cases. If you have some experience of your own that’s even better, but at the end of the day even hands-on personal experience is just that, just one person’s experience. Usually I feel more comfortable about something if it worked out a certain way in several cases, not just one. Is personal experience better than some BS completely made up by someone? You bet! At least it worked for you, so you know it can actually work rather than theorizing about delusions.
In the case of your problem with “Fred”, the problem was that the guy didn’t have the right answer for you. It would have helped if the person had installed the equipment himself and had some hands on experience, but it also would have worked for you if the guy had a good answer for you based on reports he had on how the equipment works.
When you have a 600 hundred pound guy talking about storing food, or talking about what rifle to use for killing zombies, or how its ok that the largest vest he could find doesn’t even close around him “because its still covering his vital organs”, he loses credibility because he’s clearly not addressing the elephant in the room so to speak. Being morbidly obese to such a degree should be by FAR his main concern that directly affects his chances of survival given how likely he is to die from the #1 cause of death which isnt zombies but cardiovascular problems.  Its ok for him to be fat, no ones perfect, but its stupid for him to ignore such an obvious problem that directly affects his survivability.
Of course you’re always learning. It’s the same on any other field, you never stop learning new stuff, even updating based on changing circumstances, new technology, etc. Yes, sometimes people put others in a pedestal but then again, its not your fault if you’re not trying to climb up there yourself, which some do. To me, that kind of overinflated ego and megalomaniac delusions show a lack of true self-confidence.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
To me, that kind of overinflated ego and megalomaniac delusions show a lack of true self-confidence.
View Quote

Without a doubt. Can't tell you how many 20 something meat head iron pumpers come in to try to spar that have left with their feelings hurt, usually by a 14 year old kid.

The problem is, some can only learn like that. Do some close quarters disarms- knife, pistol, rifle, etc. In a public class of 12, your going to have at least one of "that guy". That guy who has to about get his damn wrist broken in order to "get it" that the material works. Normally he pairs up some small guy or chic to begin with. He frustrates his partner as they are trying to work. Finally you notice and you go over and have to about hurt him to get it through. All the while you did the "don't be THAT GUY..." talk at the beginning of the class.

Humbleness is very important to learning. It's the people that "get it" that are usually the best students, stick around for years and years and get the most out of instruction. Even when I've disagreed with an instructor I've always tried their methodology. Sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Without a doubt. Can't tell you how many 20 something meat head iron pumpers come in to try to spar that have left with their feelings hurt, usually by a 14 year old kid.

The problem is, some can only learn like that. Do some close quarters disarms- knife, pistol, rifle, etc. In a public class of 12, your going to have at least one of "that guy". That guy who has to about get his damn wrist broken in order to "get it" that the material works. Normally he pairs up some small guy or chic to begin with. He frustrates his partner as they are trying to work. Finally you notice and you go over and have to about hurt him to get it through. All the while you did the "don't be THAT GUY..." talk at the beginning of the class.

Humbleness is very important to learning. It's the people that "get it" that are usually the best students, stick around for years and years and get the most out of instruction. Even when I've disagreed with an instructor I've always tried their methodology. Sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
To me, that kind of overinflated ego and megalomaniac delusions show a lack of true self-confidence.

That reminds me of a friend of mine from Argentina. Big body builder type, very good shooter, even better mma fighter. We were doing a CQC class going through some actual robbery situations that had happened recently using wax ammo, sticks, protective gear, it was good training. So we each took turns pretending to be involved in the situation. You didnt know who the bad guy was or who where normal bystanders. You were just told you're getting money out of the atm, youre arriving home, your in a resturant, you're at a car dealership, but you didnt know if the person walking in was the bad guy, or if it was the guy sitting next to you having an imaginary coffe. You didnt even know if a guy drawing a gun all of a sudden was a cop trying to arrest someone you didnt even know of. That was pretty confusing, and these had all been real life situations.
So my friend was there sitting in the restaurant when three "bad guys" storm in. What you did was entirely up to you, you could go billy bad ass, you could just sit there, it was up to you.  When he sees a window of opportunity he grabs one of the robbers and disarm him, but before he could shoot back the other two get hold of him and beat him down with foam covered sticks. "Stay down this is a robbery!". He stays put for a few seconds and tries something else, this time they club him down good, once he's on his knees one of the bad guys says "you wanna be a tough guy? this is what happens to tough guys" and shoots him point blank in the chest with a wax slugg, leaving a nice round bruise as a reminder. His ego was hurt a big but the lesson was priceless. (by the way, maybe the most important thing we learned that day was that more often than not, its wiser/better to let the robbers take the money/car/cellphone and leave)
FerFAL
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top