Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2014 10:43:30 PM EDT
Wanted to ask the SF group this questions since this is from a preparedness standpoint. I had to sell my AR's because I wanted to pay off some debt (I hate debt). Since then I have not replaced them but I have been putting money into my Ruger GSR which is my go to rifle.

At the moment I have only one Handgun, a G19 with 10 mags and roughly have about 1500 rounds stored.

My question is, 500 rounds of .308 with 4 additional 10 round mags for the GSR (only have around 100 rounds total) or a second handgun?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends where you are at ammo/mag wise for the rifle.

Could always get some spare parts for the plastic wonder pistol and a few less rounds of 308
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Which do you think you will need sooner...a battle rifle and food for it or a pistol?  Statistically speaking, I'd say you are FAR more likely to need a pistol that is more portable, can be concealed, and can defend the home (and any family) than you are going to need a rifle that will stay at home or in the vehicle.  

Plus with another gun, you have a backup or can hand it to a friend/family member in a pinch if the situation calls for it.  Can't do that with ammo and mags...unless they already have the identical gun or caliber.

Just my .02.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
A handgun in a combat environment is ONLY a back-up. In a survival situation, my OPINION is, use the handgun to get to your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:12:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you considered picking up a versatile shotgun? A new Mossberg 500 runs about $340 with both a rifled and a smooth barrel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#5]
On a gut level I would want 100 or 200 more rounds and additional mags for the rifle before moving on to something else.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a gut level I would want 100 or 200 more rounds and additional mags for the rifle before moving on to something else.
View Quote

I go with this also.
It's always nice to have more guns, but it's just nice.

Having the ammo and spare parts for one is priority before moving on.
Just my opinion though.

UNLESS....

You just have unlimited funds, then .......
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Think of it this way, tonight when your wife asks you to go to the red box up the block and pick out a movie and you're wearing gym shorts and a t shirt, are you going to go change so you can carry your g19? Or on Sunday Morning when you go out to walk your dog down the block are you going to carry it? What about tomorrow night when you're watching TV  at 630 pm and there's a knock on the door, will you be carrying it then? If the answer to any of those questions is no, then spend the money and get yourself a highly concealable pocket type pistol. The gun you have in your pocket is better than the one you have locked in your safe with eleventy hundred rounds when shit goes down.

While very true that "in a combat environment......" but we're not in a combat environment right now.   Even in the midst of the Argentinian economic meltdown, they were not in a true combat environment. Don't get me wrong, having the larger firepower around the homestead is a priority, but so is the ability to be discretely and comfortably armed at all times.

In short go for a SYSTEM of firearm/carry method that allows you to be armed while dressed down to whatever level that is for you. If the G19 fits that bill for you then disregard.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
ammo, ammo, ammo...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe I read that wrong.  100 rds right now is what you have for the rifle?  How many mags?

Where I would want to wind up is 1k rds for rifle after shooting x number of rds a week or month or year, everyone varies on practice so I got over that concept a while back.

I would want a 2nd identical g19 if that is something you actually always carry, lots of spare parts and springs and mags and what not.

I don't know if there are used g19s on the market from police trade ins or not.  Right now with the price of glock 22s I plan to get a few more.

I learned on glocks and later sold em all.  Still like my 1911s and carry em plenty.

But when it came to me wanting something for getting muddy and nasty and playing with the dogs and what not I decided I wanted a light on the firearm and a holster with retention beyond a snap strap and decent fit.

Glock 22 works well for ok price on police trade in and I do believe in having more than one of something because any use of that firearm could have it wind up at the police station and me wondering what to carry now.

I like a mess of mags for rifles or handguns and if it is a revolver I want speedloaders and.or speed strips.  Kind of depends on how you use and carry revolver.  I have some cute 5 shot speed loaders but speed strips are something I am more likely to carry on my person.  Speedloaders are more likely to be in truck, jeep, backpack, in house, or someplace other than actually on my person.

Oh, I like a new york reload as well so you current situation would need a nice plan for me to get somewhere.

100 rds of ammo for rifle in hand and 2 mags, I would buy another 200rds of ammo and 2 more mags.  Without a magazine that rifle is a what?

Find used g19 next.

Find new york reload I like.  I like s&w 642, lots of threads to explain why.

Eventually have second 642 for same reason as wanting a 2nd g19.

Gonna want 2nd rifle as well.

You need to decide where spare parts like springs and commonly lost stuff comes into play as well.  Some people don't shoot stuff across the room like I do.  Some people have a level floor so something falling on the floor won't roll away quickly and get lost under clutter somewhere.

I am guessing you have a holster for the g19 but yeah, good carry stuff matters as well.

In today's oddball world you better be paranoid about a lot of illegals getting imported and spread across the country, the current economy sucks so crime is rising, and overall you might find yourself trying to decide how to deal with a gang of problems instead of a single mugger.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

At the moment I have only one Handgun, a G19 with 10 mags and roughly have about 1500 rounds stored.

My question is, 500 rounds of .308 with 4 additional 10 round mags for the GSR (only have around 100 rounds total) or a second handgun?
View Quote

Well my philosophy is balance. I set a "level" goal for each category. level 1 food is X number days, level 1 Water is X number of gallons, level 1 emergency funds X number of dollars, etc etc etc. Once all categories achieve level 1, I move on to Level 2 and so on. If something happens that makes a hole, laid off, unexpected bills, etc As soon as I am able to I work on that area as best i can until it is back where it was.

This works for me, it might not work for you cause everybody is different. This method keeps me from getting to focused on one category, you know the fun stuff, and neglecting others. Which is so easy for me to do.

I said all that to say this, If your goal is 500 rounds and 5 mags total for the GSR then you should reach that goal before moving to the next thing, which is the second handgun.

I know the whole two is one, one is none concept, but what is none of something?

My 0.02 cents and YMMV as always.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#12]
You need more rifle ammo. How many rifle mags do you currently have?

But first off, what is your environment?  Urban or rural? What is your perception of a SHTF rifle? Is it for hunting or defense?

Is the Ruger GSR in 308 up to the task that you expect a SHTF rifle to perform?  If not, then sell it off and get an AR. Now is definitely a buyers market in the AR world. A Colt 6720 is going for $799 on line! Other deals are out there.

Even if my SHTF rifle was JUST for hunting/gathering food, 100 rounds is not enough.

You are good pistol wise with a Glock 19,  10 mags and 1,500 rds.

In time, I would consider a second Glock 19 and/or a smaller BUG like  M&P Shield or  J frame like a 642.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ammo, ammo, ammo...
View Quote
Guns, guns, guns.

get both.

And a shit load o' magazines.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
A little update:

Went to the local sporting goods store and picked up two 10Rd polymer mags for the GSR.

I have also decided to go and buy 500 rounds of additional ammo.

I have some deals in the work for my job which will allow me to pay down more debt and pick up a second handgun and possibly an AR. I sold my first GSR during the whole panic thing to buy an AK in fear of a ban...as soon as I sold the GSR I had sellers remorse and immediately sold the AK to buy another GSR, for me its the perfect rifle. Its my hunting rifle and if the time ever came it would be my defense rifle as well. We have a house in the suburbs and its not overly populated which is nice and we're about 35 miles south and east of Seattle.

Appreciate all the advice!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know what a gsr is but I would go for the .308 and the mags. Then to be perfectly honest I would save some money. I've been in your same position and now that I have about 5k saved I am much less nervous and anxious. It only took me breaking up with my girlfriend and watching my pennies.

Once you get a  few 1000 saved you will feel much better and you will also make much more logical purchases. (at least I did). It took a while but trust me, it is well worth it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:17:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ammo, ammo, ammo...
View Quote
yep

Edit: Good job OP

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Mags and ammo then the second handgun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mags and ammo then the second handgun.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wanted to ask the SF group this questions since this is from a preparedness standpoint. I had to sell my AR's because I wanted to pay off some debt (I hate debt). Since then I have not replaced them but I have been putting money into my Ruger GSR which is my go to rifle.

View Quote

Training and ammo for training are important, at this stage I'd go for a second handgun, same as the one you already own. I know its tempting to try something new, but trust me on this one.
Should you need a spare, should you need to fix one after both break, should you need to replace your current gun because it got stolen, lost or you had to turn it in after a shooting, you'd be glad to have a spare of the same gun. After for the 3rd gun, go nuts and buy whatever you facny, but for the first two get the same gun.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Two is one.

One is none.

You need fewer mags than the hoarders would have you believe.

At the point where you are running around in an environment where you are firing so many rounds that you have to leave mags behind, you aren't going to live long anyway.

Has anybody ever actually worn-out a Glock mag?
How many rounds is that?
100,000?.... more?
So, by the time you wear out one mag, you've fired like 30,000 rounds... at least?

I've put close to 20,000 rounds trough a single Adventureline AR mag, and its STILL my #1 mag.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In today's oddball world you better be paranoid about a lot of illegals getting imported and spread across the country, the current economy sucks so crime is rising, and overall you might find yourself trying to decide how to deal with a gang of problems instead of a single mugger.
View Quote

If it's not the G 19 or 26, i'm carrying a S&W 638.

Nothing paranoid about lots of illegals, not at all. La Raza,  Aztlan major movers of Take Back the Southwest. If the southwest falls, why not keep going?
.  We as a lot of other gun owners believe 1K of ammo per firearm minimum. 5-10 mags per and spare parts for your guns, IF something breaks. Or as the spouse believes 2 of each gun.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#23]
As much as I would like to pick up a second handgun I felt that buying the ammo was doing it right so to speak. I feel like every firearm I have owned I have done things to it or purchased things that were done half ass. It took awhile to figure out what I wanted but I finally just put a top notch scope and sling on the GSR. My last Ruger I put a $99 scope on it and a pretty cheesy sling. So now that I have it set up the way I want I felt I needed a way to feed it and train with it.

My next purchase which will hopefully be in a couple of months will probably be a second G19. My wife and I are both familiar with it, I have the mags and ammo already. Then after that hopefully an AR.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Have you tried the zqi stuff Walmart sells for $10 a box? Seems like a good value.

Beans, bullets and bandaids first.

After that start duplicating.

My always gun is a Ruger LCP. When I carry a real gun, which is anything I am not at work, I carry a G19.
Hopefully, by the time you are ready to buy an always gun, the single stack 9mm Glock will have come out!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As much as I would like to pick up a second handgun I felt that buying the ammo was doing it right so to speak. I feel like every firearm I have owned I have done things to it or purchased things that were done half ass. It took awhile to figure out what I wanted but I finally just put a top notch scope and sling on the GSR. My last Ruger I put a $99 scope on it and a pretty cheesy sling. So now that I have it set up the way I want I felt I needed a way to feed it and train with it.

My next purchase which will hopefully be in a couple of months will probably be a second G19. My wife and I are both familiar with it, I have the mags and ammo already. Then after that hopefully an AR.
View Quote

You made a sound choice at this time. As I mentioned earlier, 100 rds is a bit on the light side, no matter the intended usage for your rifle.

I would set aside a budget for guns and prioritize your next purchases. A second Glock 19 is an excellent idea. This gives both you and your wife a pistol to keep on your person, yet share magazines, ammo and spare parts. I would look hard into an AR and also a smaller pistol, should the concept of actually carrying your Glock 19 year round is not an issue for you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Keep in mind, I don't know your lifestyle.  As far as I know, you could be one of these guys who lives in the mountains and wears a jacket year round.

If not, I will add this.  A gun is only good if its with you when you need it.  Wait while I go get my gun is a piss poor strategy that not only limits you self defense but can get you killed.  The only advantage of a handgun, any handgun, over a rifle is ease of carry.  That includes concealment.  

Like Americans, I got into guns from hunting but it developed from there.  If I went back in had to do it all over again, the first gun I would have bought would be a full frame handgun and the second a mouse gun for carry in light clothing or a hidden backup.  

The sad reality is unless we are a police officer looking for bad guys, have enemies wanting to kill us, or are involved in criminal activity ourselves, we need our guns for self defense, it won't be honney go get your gun or we get to draw first.  By society and law, the bad guy gets the first move and they know it.  Most stranger on stranger crime is with a smile on the bad guys face as its "Excuse me Please" "NOW............"   That's where and when, you need a hand gun.  

If you are reading this and there's times that gun is not on you, those are the times you are most vulnerable and any bad guy worth a crap knows this.  They pick victims like we shop in grocery stores, what's the best deal.  Nothing has increased my gun carry more than a compact gun, a pocket gun.  

When choosing a backup or pocket gun, its best to leave your pecker out of it because I'd rather not have a gun than have this or that is the comment of a fool who's never faced the issue in real life, because any gun even a .22lr is better than no gun.  That being said since the widespread advent of CCW, there's been amazing strides in the gun industry to meet this need.  The old tried and true snub nose has a lot of competition these days as larger calibers are being made in smaller guns and ammunition improved to compensate for size.  

Though unless we break the law, its impossible, our goal should be if you see me,  I have a gun.  Situational awareness only covers us so far for if that was all we needed, we wouldn't need a gun at all.  In one respect bad guys are like cops writing traffic tickets.  When it happens, you won't see it coming.  The better you are at avoiding those situations, the more you won't see it when it happens.

If you are not carrying that G19 everywhere you go, you need a pocket gun.  Training and even war scenarios, time is on your side for planning.  Its not for crime.  

Tj

View Quote

As usual, TJ brings the voice of wisdom.  Good advice.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Two is one one is none.

I have a Glock 19 and 26 Gen 4's for this very reason. Hoping to pick up another Glock 19 Gen 4 soon.

As others have said we as regular joes will probably use the pistol for 1. self defense / defense of others. 2. Killing something to eat of you really need it.

If you use it for self defense you will probably at least have it in police evidence for some time while they decide to either go after you or not. I would rather have a back up pistol so I can carry if I'm not under indictment as we all know some animals think they are more equal.

I chose the 19 and 26 because of ammo cost, mag availability / interchangeability, ease of operation and the size difference. 26 is for the dead of summer and the 19 the rest of the year.

I have some other pistols but Glocks or other striker fired pistols keep coming out on top for me when compared to cost / weight / benefit comparison.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Two is one one is none.

I have a Glock 19 and 26 Gen 4's for this very reason. Hoping to pick up another Glock 19 Gen 4 soon.

As others have said we as regular joes will probably use the pistol for 1. self defense / defense of others. 2. Killing something to eat of you really need it.

If you use it for self defense you will probably at least have it in police evidence for some time while they decide to either go after you or not. I would rather have a back up pistol so I can carry if I'm not under indictment as we all know some animals think they are more equal.

I chose the 19 and 26 because of ammo cost, mag availability / interchangeability, ease of operation and the size difference. 26 is for the dead of summer and the 19 the rest of the year.

I have some other pistols but Glocks or other striker fired pistols keep coming out on top for me when compared to cost / weight / benefit comparison.
View Quote

I agree with everything in this post. Only I have Gen 3s instead of 4s, not because I have anything against Gen4s, but because when I bought them that was what was available.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd recommend a second handgun; a small, concealment-oriented handgun. Personally, I believe concealability to be so important that in the oft-encountered "if you could have only one handgun" debates, I'd be real likely to pick the CM9 as my 'only'. I'd rather have a 7- or 8-shot 9mm that I can conceal 'always', than a 15-shot that I can only conceal 'usually'. You can conceal a glock 19 - I have many times - but a smaller gun that you can ALWAYS (where legal...) have with you is a hugely good thing. As good as the CM9's are, for this role I really like the LCP; but to be fair there are other options that are probably as good, and maybe better. I've carried as small as .32acp in the past but don't plan to again, as the little .380's nowadays (LCP, P3AT, etc) are smaller than most older .32's & even most .22's. The semiauto LCP with seven rounds of .380 is smaller & lighter than my old two-shot, slow-to-fire, .32acp derringer.

Don't mean to turn this into a commercial for the LCP, but rather for the species that it belongs to. If I'm not in bed, in the shower, or somewhere I can't carry (inside the jail, etc), I've got at least the .380 on me. Always. Doesn't matter if I'm on a wave runner or digging a ditch, the LCP is here. In today's society, I can't think of a more important handgun to own than a very-concealable, properly-loaded pistol in a semi-decent caliber.

"Mousegun" stigma aside, IMO modern ammunition choices are good enough that carrying a seven-shot .380, I'm as well armed as a lot of cops were in the days of .38 revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd recommend a second handgun; a small, concealment-oriented handgun. Personally, I believe concealability to be so important that in the oft-encountered "if you could have only one handgun" debates, I'd be real likely to pick the CM9 as my 'only'. I'd rather have a 7- or 8-shot 9mm that I can conceal 'always', than a 15-shot that I can only conceal 'usually'. You can conceal a glock 19 - I have many times - but a smaller gun that you can ALWAYS (where legal...) have with you is a hugely good thing. As good as the CM9's are, for this role I really like the LCP; but to be fair there are other options that are probably as good, and maybe better. I've carried as small as .32acp in the past but don't plan to again, as the little .380's nowadays (LCP, P3AT, etc) are smaller than most older .32's & even most .22's. The semiauto LCP with seven rounds of .380 is smaller & lighter than my old two-shot, slow-to-fire, .32acp derringer.

Don't mean to turn this into a commercial for the LCP, but rather for the species that it belongs to. If I'm not in bed, in the shower, or somewhere I can't carry (inside the jail, etc), I've got at least the .380 on me. Always. Doesn't matter if I'm on a wave runner or digging a ditch, the LCP is here. In today's society, I can't think of a more important handgun to own than a very-concealable, properly-loaded pistol in a semi-decent caliber.

"Mousegun" stigma aside, IMO modern ammunition choices are good enough that carrying a seven-shot .380, I'm as well armed as a lot of cops were in the days of .38 revolvers.
View Quote

I agree that modern ammunition has made mouseguns better. Here is my solution

The mousegun that I carry is a P-64 radom
Here is 250 rounds of 9x18 Mak

An easy to carry pistol and 250 rounds of personal defense ammo for~ $420
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#31]
2 is 1.
1 is none.

Besides when SHTF.
A good hammer/machete/shovel will gain you plenty of rifle options.

I thought about this the other day."Most" in your neck of the woods, and mine.
Have the following.

5.56/.223
12 gauge
9 mm
30/06
.22lr

some 40 some .45acp

Not a lot of folks like to carry around .308 (hope you're a fit human) ammo and mags are heavy.
That being said, "Most" in our neck of the woods do not have armor to stop .308

Stick with your rifle. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

2 handguns? in SHTF?

Ch3f
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  

I like the P-64 - for its size it's one of the best options on a power/weight/size/bulk consideration, especially if using the now-discontinued silver bear 115 jhp load. It runs 1015fps from the little PPK-size gun; that's just a crazy (and punishing) power level from a small blowback pistol like that. This is several pocket-gun rounds in gelatin testing. The one outlined in blue is the 9x18mm 115-grain silver bear:

Wish they still made that load; the new silver bear is a 94-grain at the same velocity the 115 used to be. The P64 with 115SB is what I pocket carried before going way down to the P32, and finally going back 'up' some to the LCP in 2010 iirc. The P64 is a great concealment gun that you don't hear about very often. I'm just lazier now I guess, and willing to put up with the reduced power of the .380 to get the lighter & smaller package it comes in.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, except I would want 500+. If I have something below 1000-1500 rounds on hand, i get kinda twitchy
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hopefully, by the time you are ready to buy an always gun, the single stack 9mm Glock will have come out!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Mag math: one mag for each threat you face, and dont expect to live past the third mag if you are the only one fighting.
Seven to ten mags for combat. Open fighting moving cobat is over in seconds.
Three for scouting and security. I Recommend a go bag with coat meds food and ammo too.
Nowadays if you plan on dropping a weapon and blending back in to the crowd to E&E, then having a few reliable weapons  is mandatory.

I'm Not a fan of ditching arms to escape pursuits. The Idea of changing clothing or bags, for technology camera defense is better. The Idea that incarceration or detainment would become an opportunity to return to the righteous insurgency in a few months is gone. The Best bet is to just have a really good showing on the day your number comes up.

Fighting individually is to be avoided because it will be characterized as the act of a pariah.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I have multiple rifles, multiple shotguns, multiple pistols and thousands of rounds.

and I am ALWAYS toiling over these same decisions..

once you start, your wants and focus will be continuously evolving..

is 10 mags per rifle enough?
10 mags per pistol?
100 rounds per mag?
1000 rounds per pistol?
2000 rounds per rifle?

9mm?
45?
.223?
.308?
when do you start up a new caliber?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:...when do you start up a new caliber?
View Quote

Never again.

I already shoot too many calibers (17 last time I counted, some years ago), and those decisions you mention about 'how many' and 'how much' are all amplified in proportion to how many calibers & platforms are involved.

Then again even though my reflexive answer is 'never again', I have to admit to a growing fascination with 300 blackout. Just new uppers required; no new guns, no new magazines (that's a big one with me), not even new bcg's, etc. Crap...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#38]
UPDATE: So here is what I decided to do. Went down to the LGS and bought more .308 ammo. While I was wandering around I ended up talking with one of the guys behind the counter and we went through different CCW guns. I came to the conclusion that I am picking up a S&W Shield today. So I basically bought a couple hundred rounds of rifle ammo and can still get something to carry on a regular basis.

My reasoning for doing this is because with me traveling to downtown Seattle for work which is roughly 35 miles north, I felt that I was putting myself at great risk by not carrying. When I had my G26 I would always carry that but then I was stupid and sold it. My wife works at home and I refused to leave her without the G19, especially since we live in a fairly nice suburb and is targeted a lot of the time by criminals because there are so many houses up here.

My other reasoning is I am a yacht broker and I am always busy showing boats whether they walk in off the street to see some of the boats, make an appointment to come to the office or I have to travel to show a boat that might be at a different marina. Needless to say I have had my share of weirdo's and feel that I need to be protected while doing this as well.

Still hoping to pick up an AR or two in the next couple of months and of course more ammo. But for now I will practice with what I have and replace what I shoot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice!

Now magazines, lots of them and spares parts kit for both.

I would buy a complete lower now and then buy an upper later for the AR. However you should also purchase magazines now as well. Prices are so low you could pick up a ten pack easy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Shield 9mm is a great carry piece
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Why didn't you just get another g26?

That way you could share mags w/ the g19.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

G26 is fat. Eff that noise
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:45:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some info left out it appears.

Agreed, same mags, same ammo goes a long way. A very long way.

If 6 guys in my 8 man group are carrying .556 why would I be carrying .308 ?
Unless I'm Mr. special" and I'm  there to do hard knocking suppression, and other 6/7 guys have a spare loaded .308 mag
"for Mr. Special"

Otherwise "WE" have all the same pistol, same mags, same caliber. For pistols that is.

Your 8 man group can become a 3 man group in less than 10 seconds.
Pistols can be used to fight to rifles or ordnance.

Ch3f
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Unless I'm Mr. special" and I'm  there to do hard knocking suppression, and other 6/7 guys have a spare loaded .308 mag
"for Mr. Special"

Otherwise "WE" have all the same pistol, same mags, same caliber. For pistols that is.

Ch3f
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"for Mr. Special"

Ch3f

While I certainly see the benefit of having at least 1 guy with a .308, I can't argue with the logic of everyone having interchangeable rounds/mags.

my group has done that with our rifle selection, but our handguns are all over the place..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Longer range engagement, defeating barriers (i.e Designated Marksman)

If you're working as a 'infantry' group why have a pistol?  That's dead weight that would be better spent on more water and/or magazines for your rifle.

"Fight to your rifle" !?  Why the heck is that rifle out of arms reach - EVER if you're "on patrol"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Longer range engagement, defeating barriers (i.e Designated Marksman)

f

If you're working as a 'infantry' group why have a pistol?  That's dead weight that would be better spent on more water and/or magazines for your rifle.

"Fight to your rifle" !?  Why the heck is that rifle out of arms reach - EVER if you're "on patrol"?

Thinking out loud here...

Pistol can be a backup if the rifle breaks or becomes inop.

One is none, and carrying two rifles is sorta hard..  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#47]
In a patrol situation, I think pistols are nice to have, but unnecessary.

We have standardized on the AR carbine, and most of us carry Glock 17s, but if someone wants to carry an FNX cause they shoot it better and are set up for it, whatever!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

While I certainly see the benefit of having at least 1 guy with a .308, I can't argue with the logic of everyone having interchangeable rounds/mags.

my group has done that with our rifle selection, but our handguns are all over the place..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"for Mr. Special"

Ch3f

I think a large chunk of people would say the same. In many cases and groups it's AR's thoughout and then a hodge podge of handguns suited to taste and affordability usually

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Glad you are making progress on this.

I forget when ferfal posted it long ago but he mentioned that as things went downhill having a decent ccw piece became important.

I am not going out looking for trouble, but the ferguson stuff has me kind of wondering a bit more than in the past.

I like small stuff for times when it is hot or as a backup weapon.

With cool weather showing up, house is in the 50s this morning, it is easier to ccw a fullsize if someone was having trouble doing so during the summer months.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top