BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 12:02:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one very similar to this
http://www.tooltopia.com/rockford-ppjs2976dlx.aspx
I was very hesitant at first I got in a 100% dead 2000 chevy blazer wouldn't even honk horn or power under hood light I hooked this up and it fired right off now I keep in my truck just in case I am sold
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried to jump a 80s fullsize car with a 305 and it would not start but the battery was toast
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link to this box?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a nifty little jumpstarter. Way smaller than the one I have now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:33:21 AM EDT
[#8]
That actually looks pretty handy.

Wonder if it would jump start my Cummins 5.9. The ad says it will handle up to a 6 liter engine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#9]
What is the MAH on that thing?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yep. i am really shocked at the output power these have to be so small.
View Quote

LIthium Ion batteries are the bomb. now you know how Elon's car rock as much as they do.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the USB out, that could be a back up battery for a smart phone for quite a while
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#13]
That is a pretty cool device.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is a pretty cool device.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
NOCO gb30 jump box. this is basically a 400a LI battery pack with a set of attachable jumper cable ends. running with the FD here my jumper cables get used a LOT. a few times a week normally.

i got this to test as NOCO was making some pretty bold claims about capability. i have found the claims to be pretty spot on.

the device has some very useful features.

polarity detection... cable can't be wired or connected backwards.
manual override in the event of a mechanically dead battery<not just low>
a usable bright flashlight with emergency strobe options <not  a toy actually useful>
thermal protection for the battery
USB output for charging devices
low discharge retains 80%+ after 12 months

true to their claims i was easily able to start a 4 and 6 cyl engine without a battery in the car.

i decided to push the limits and try it on my 7l v8 suburban. with a dead battery it started in just a few min after letting the truck battery build for about 60 sec.

with no battery on truck... it actually turned the motor over but obviously no where near enough to start the engine. that actually impressed me as it was about 3x the load the box is made to handle. in talking with noco before ordering they stated it would work fine on the truck IF the battery was dead but capable of taking a charge. for the record i haven't found a battery box yet that would start my truck this way.

the only negative i have found is recharge times take awhile but that is to be expected with a large battery and USB.

youtube is full of reviews and video for anyone interested.

just passing on something useful i found and new egg has them on sale right now cheaper than i paid for mine. i like it enough i ordered a second for my parents to keep in their car.

i also have a NOCO genius AC onboared charger oin my truck to keep the battery hot. they make top end stuff imho.
View Quote

Must stop reading your threads, my poor wallet!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

thats ok my wife is banned  going to shows with me. this year she bought a hot tub at the home show and then the freeze dryer at the prepper show. after 8k i can't afford to take her to any more.

i bought jerky
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NOCO gb30 jump box. this is basically a 400a LI battery pack with a set of attachable jumper cable ends. running with the FD here my jumper cables get used a LOT. a few times a week normally.

i got this to test as NOCO was making some pretty bold claims about capability. i have found the claims to be pretty spot on.

the device has some very useful features.

polarity detection... cable can't be wired or connected backwards.
manual override in the event of a mechanically dead battery<not just low>
a usable bright flashlight with emergency strobe options <not  a toy actually useful>
thermal protection for the battery
USB output for charging devices
low discharge retains 80%+ after 12 months

true to their claims i was easily able to start a 4 and 6 cyl engine without a battery in the car.

i decided to push the limits and try it on my 7l v8 suburban. with a dead battery it started in just a few min after letting the truck battery build for about 60 sec.

with no battery on truck... it actually turned the motor over but obviously no where near enough to start the engine. that actually impressed me as it was about 3x the load the box is made to handle. in talking with noco before ordering they stated it would work fine on the truck IF the battery was dead but capable of taking a charge. for the record i haven't found a battery box yet that would start my truck this way.

the only negative i have found is recharge times take awhile but that is to be expected with a large battery and USB.

youtube is full of reviews and video for anyone interested.

just passing on something useful i found and new egg has them on sale right now cheaper than i paid for mine. i like it enough i ordered a second for my parents to keep in their car.

i also have a NOCO genius AC onboared charger oin my truck to keep the battery hot. they make top end stuff imho.

Must stop reading your threads, my poor wallet!!

thats ok my wife is banned  going to shows with me. this year she bought a hot tub at the home show and then the freeze dryer at the prepper show. after 8k i can't afford to take her to any more.

i bought jerky

ahh first world problems, someone's gotta keep the economy going, in the last month i bought the FD a Marlin 1895 SBL and a S&W Shield i take the fun outta Christmas
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That sounds outstanding for a jump box.

Biggest issue I've had with mine over the years is remembering to keep them charged.

Tj
View Quote

Would be really neat if it came with a cradle mount/charger that maintained it a fully charged state while the vehicle is in operation.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
i ran a usb cable from the dash to under the passenger seat and put some velcro on the bottom. now it charges as long as the ignition is on and the veclro keeps it from sliding around. according to noco these will retain 70% after 12 months with no charge. the other neat thing is if the battery is weak you could in theory get enough charge through USB over an hour or so for a jump or 2 if the pack was dead or low..
View Quote

That is outstanding.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow, I wonder how well it would work to power a ham radio like my PRC-2200 or an FT897 or similar?

That Ultrasafe brand listed has even more options too. It comes with a bunch of lap top adapters.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

wouldn't think very well unless it's usb powered. on 12v this is a booster/jump starter not a power supply. you would have to put it in over ride mode and i could see issues with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, I wonder how well it would work to power a ham radio like my PRC-2200 or an FT897 or similar?

That Ultrasafe brand listed has even more options too. It comes with a bunch of lap top adapters.

wouldn't think very well unless it's usb powered. on 12v this is a booster/jump starter not a power supply. you would have to put it in over ride mode and i could see issues with that.

Override mode? I was thinking of powering the devices from the jump start connection, byut you are saying that wouldn't work?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#26]
You used it on your 7L? Gas engine correct? I wonder how well this would work on a diesel with dual batteries. Or does anyone have a suggestion on a similar unit that would be big enough for that?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

no. the device looks for a battery before allowing power to the cables. over ride mode disables that safety feature. this is more of a jump start tool than a power supply. the usb port is more of a bonus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Override mode? I was thinking of powering the devices from the jump start connection, byut you are saying that wouldn't work?

no. the device looks for a battery before allowing power to the cables. over ride mode disables that safety feature. this is more of a jump start tool than a power supply. the usb port is more of a bonus.

I see, good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I can buy a 10 AH battery for running electronics for around $150. This type of jump starter would need to be dual purpose and at least 10 AH before I would jump on it. A 12v and usb output would also be huge pluses.

This thing looks like a good idea. Am I dumb to want a few upgrades?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

in things like this i have found multipurpose "tools" to not really do anything very well. this is designed as a jump pack 1st, the light and usb port are secondary.

there are better options for a 12v power source.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can buy a 10 AH battery for running electronics for around $150. This type of jump starter would need to be dual purpose and at least 10 AH before I would jump on it. A 12v and usb output would also be huge pluses.

in things like this i have found multipurpose "tools" to not really do anything very well. this is designed as a jump pack 1st, the light and usb port are secondary.

there are better options for a 12v power source.

Lithium ion is where it's at. They hold power for a long time. I keep a 3800 mah and a 3000 mah usb charger in my travel pack all the time. If I could carry a single battery that has good capacity and could jump start a car in an emergency while I travel it would be a nice addition to my back pack.

How much does it weigh?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I tried to contact them on the website but it won't go through. I think it's because I'm in Canada this week. Can anyone ask them the amp hours for this thread?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a recommendation, but you may want to check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8OZ1NO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

It appears to be a similar product more in line with what you are looking for. It's not quite as "smart", but it does appear to be a bit more flexible while still retaining the jump-pack functionality.

The reviews are outstanding and I am going back and forth between the two - anyone have any experience with Antigravity?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8OZ1NO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

It appears to be a similar product more in line with what you are looking for. It's not quite as "smart", but it does appear to be a bit more flexible while still retaining the jump-pack functionality.

The reviews are outstanding and I am going back and forth between the two - anyone have any experience with Antigravity?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more I think about it the more I like the simplicity of Bama's version. Every electronic device I carry runs on 5v.

The one you found looks cool but I don't carry a computer anymore. My battery charger for my flashlights runs on usb. My tablet and phone use usb. I really don't need the bells and whistles. I do like that they list the capacity at 12k mah.

If the version mentioned in the OP is around 10k mah I will most likely buy one. There have been several times when I was on the road for work when it would have come in handy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Went ahead and bought one, I've been looking to replace an older jump pack I own. This will work nicely I'm sure.

I have a 12V outlet in the cargo area of my Pilot. I'll most likely leave this plugged in so it's always charged up. Hopefully it's smart enough to not kill itself constantly charging.

Should arrive in the next couple of days. I'll charge it up and test it out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got one on the way as well. Thank god I'm to broke to get the freeze dryer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top