Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2014 8:56:31 PM EDT
A few years back I made up kits for both our vehicles.  I used a P22 in one and an Inox Bobcat in the other.  Along with food, meds, light, cash, etc...they both have holsters, ammo, spare mags.  The thinking was that, in a bad situation where nothing else is available, that will allow for travel/survival without being unarmed.  Plus I specifically chose those two guns out of my collection because they were small and concealable but reliable.  Plus they fit into an ammo can easily without taking up much space.

But recently I've been questioning whether a 9mm wouldn't be a better choice?  Obviously it would be larger as all of mine are double stack.  

When looking at an on-foot or other situation where you are required to leave your vehicle during a personal or larger scale SHTF....small and concealable or slightly larger, more powerful, and somewhat less concealable?  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine is an sr22 and the wife's is a mosquito(haters gonna hate).

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#2]
45 ACP
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is a LCR .22 but I sometimes thins a 9mm would be a little better.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
45 ACP
View Quote

I've got a couple of 1911's. One of the two was my grandfather's that he used in WWII and is the jewel of my collection.  But truth be told, I hate almost everything about the platform and caliber in regard to specs.  

Plenty of .38's, .357's, 9mm's, 10mm, and even a .460 S&W when the mood catches me...although I doubt that would fit in an ammo can.

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
My vote would go to the larger caliber. In my opinion, this is a time where size and weight should not be the deciding factor. I want something that will stop the threat immediately (or close to). While many may argue shot placement is the remedy to a less effective caliber, my experience would argue otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A few years back I made up kits for both our vehicles.  I used a P22 in one and an Inox Bobcat in the other.  Along with food, meds, light, cash, etc...they both have holsters, ammo, spare mags.  The thinking was that, in a bad situation where nothing else is available, that will allow for travel/survival without being unarmed.  Plus I specifically chose those two guns out of my collection because they were small and concealable but reliable.  Plus they fit into an ammo can easily without taking up much space.

But recently I've been questioning whether a 9mm wouldn't be a better choice?  Obviously it would be larger as all of mine are double stack.  

When looking at an on-foot or other situation where you are required to leave your vehicle during a personal or larger scale SHTF....small and concealable or slightly larger, more powerful, and somewhat less concealable?  

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

I guess it depends on the situation...

Why not look at all the countless other similar threads ---like .22 short  vs .22LR in a SHTF--- and see how the logic, that's brought to bear on the problem, is developed.

Then capitalize on the logical posts in those threads [if you can find any] , and see if they can be applied to solve your dilemma.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#7]
my $.02....over the years, I've acquired several service caliber pistols, that for whatever reason, are not shot much any more, as I typically built a new competition pistol about every 5 years....most of my shooting friends are past Social Security age, and pretty much to a person, have upgraded  their vehicle carried firearm... might as well have it in the car, and hopefully not need it. as let it sit in the safe....at some point, possible loss and cost does not even come into the picture.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I keep Glock 9mms in nano vaults in our DDs. I carry an LCP in the pocket at work, wife carries a Shield. Thought is it sure would be nice to have a real handgun in time of need. They are cabled into the car to prevent smash and grabs, but should I really need a service pistol, I'll be able to get one!

.22 LR is for foraging food, not defensive purposes. Even a Kahr CW9 would be a decent choice. Still concealable, but proven platform and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I personally like the snub .38 option. Small enough to conceal, simple enough that I don't have to worry about spare parts or mags, reliable, and powerful "enough" to feel protected. better than .22, and just shy of 9mm.

Can be fired from inside a pocket, can carry snake shot if that's the environment you find yourself in and has slightly better intimidation factor if the situation calls for a bluff. Believe me, cops bluff suspects into surrendering when a large caliber gun is just pointed at them. A bluff will work in some instances.

Be that as it may, a 2-3" revolver in .38 or .357 is nothing to sneeze at.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:16:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

View Quote

I'll take a 22 pistol like a Ruger 22/45 or Mark2/3 or a Standard. Its pretty accurate out to 50 yards if you need it. They are inexpensive enough, especially the Standard to buy several examples, even used ones. I see a lot of these used with very little wear. Seems people trade them in because they are too complicated. (?)   We all have huge reserve stashes of 22, so ammo isn't a problem right?  It shouldn't be, we all had ample time to prepare.

You should have your bases already covered with a higher caliber weapon, being that you probably carry a 9mm or larger and have at least 1 reload in your vehicle or on your person.

So there ya go, two weapons and you walk away from the car, with all your gear shoved in your GHB. 9mm on your hip, 22 in the bag with at least 200 rounds of lightweight bunny killin' ammo.  Or if you have another gun toting person with you, you can arm them.

That's my take on it.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I was pondering a .22 for my wife to CC recently and came across a video on youtube that laid out some really good points on why not to carry a .22 for self defense. 4 minutes long and totally worth the watch if you have time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y1eqYPxCxI

Just curious sense you want something that is easy to conceal I assume you don't carry?  If so I'd keep my normal CC gun in the trunk M&P .40 summer, 1911 winter.  If it was dedicated to the trunk I'd probably go with the M&P as I think it would handle the elements better.

I just put an AR pistol together with the idea that it's going to be my trunk gun but it's turning out to be harder to find a reliable bag that it fits in for those times I don't want to advertise so the jury is still out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]
mine is a Smith and Wesson Model 63.  .22 LR
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll take a 22 pistol like a Ruger 22/45 or Mark2/3 or a Standard. Its pretty accurate out to 50 yards if you need it. They are inexpensive enough, especially the Standard to buy several examples, even used ones. I see a lot of these used with very little wear. Seems people trade them in because they are too complicated. (?)   We all have huge reserve stashes of 22, so ammo isn't a problem right?  It shouldn't be, we all had ample time to prepare.

You should have your bases already covered with a higher caliber weapon, being that you probably carry a 9mm or larger and have at least 1 reload in your vehicle or on your person.

So there ya go, two weapons and you walk away from the car, with all your gear shoved in your GHB. 9mm on your hip, 22 in the bag with at least 200 rounds of lightweight bunny killin' ammo.  Or if you have another gun toting person with you, you can arm them.

That's my take on it.
View Quote

Well the plan/thinking was that if the GHB/BOB was not there for whatever reason, an ammo can in the trunk would be.  So yes, the GHB has a G26 with close to 100rds of ammo (and an SU-16C with 90rds)...but if that's in the other vehicle or stolen or already in use...the trunk would still have something small but hopefully viable.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Why not make it another G26 and keep similarity of platform, manual of arms, caliber of ammo etc with the GHB / BOB?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why not make it another G26 and keep similarity of platform, manual of arms, caliber of ammo etc with the GHB / BOB?
View Quote

I'd have to buy another pair.  While not in the budget right now, it's certainly possible in the future.

However, I do have other 9mm's, like I said, so standardizing the platform would be the only issue now.  Same ammo though.

But again, looking at the original issue...small caliber vs. large(er)....thoughts?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm of the opinion that a 9mm is a great option.  It's a good compromise of capability and capacity.  Relatively inexpensive models can be obtained that are reliable and can withstand the elements.  If I were facing off with a group of thugs, I'd feel better with 15ish rounds of 9mm than 10 rounds of 22 in a P22 or a Mosquito.  My 9mm's are also far more reliable than any rimfire 22 I've ever had.  A 38 Spcl revolver is a close second.  It can be quickly reloaded and there are no magazines to lose.  

My $0.02.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm of the opinion that a 9mm is a great option.  It's a good compromise of capability and capacity.  Relatively inexpensive models can be obtained that are reliable and can withstand the elements.  If I were facing off with a group of thugs, I'd feel better with 15ish rounds of 9mm than 10 rounds of 22 in a P22 or a Mosquito.  My 9mm's are also far more reliable than any rimfire 22 I've ever had.  A 38 Spcl revolver is a close second.  It can be quickly reloaded and there are no magazines to lose.  

My $0.02.
View Quote

Speed loaders though...but I can actually ALMOST do this now.  Here's what I would do and here's what I'm lacking...

I've got a LNIB Astra .357mag.  Knock the name if you must but it is a solid gun.  I have a S&W 638 Bodyguard airlite with CTC laser grips.  Both are just hanging on the wall right now because I see little use for revolvers compared to autos.  I have speedloaders for both (obviously they don't use the same speedloader), plus plenty of ammo that could be stashed with them.  I'd probably go with .38's all around even though the Astra can handle the more powerful rounds just because of my wife's absolute hatred of revolver's recoil.  So what's missing?  Holsters!  

I've searched...and searched...and searched and I could not find a single holster that would fit my Astra.  It is an odd design that has a large bump right in front of the trigger guard that won't fit any modern holsters.  

Plus, for every 50rds of .38, I can fit around 300rds. of .22lr and around 150rds of .32acp.  

So again, a possibility but not without finding a holster for that Astra.  What I could do is pick up one of those $200 Armscor colt clones and I'd be good to go.  I'd just have to weight whether the reduced ammo/capacity would be worth the money and switch.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#18]
We are talking about a pistol that stays in the BOB or in the trunk, right.

I Carry a 9mm almost all the time, in my get home bag I keep my sr22 with mini mags in it, a spare mag of minis and a spare of sub sonics.

It's a rare occasion that I don't have my carry piece, but it always have that bag with me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

I have a Sub2000 in 9mm for my truck gun.

I'd prefer a rifle, of course, but I can't conceal that in the truck as well as I'd like.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Speed loaders though...but I can actually ALMOST do this now.  Here's what I would do and here's what I'm lacking...

I've got a LNIB Astra .357mag.  Knock the name if you must but it is a solid gun.  I have a S&W 638 Bodyguard airlite with CTC laser grips.  Both are just hanging on the wall right now because I see little use for revolvers compared to autos.  I have speedloaders for both (obviously they don't use the same speedloader), plus plenty of ammo that could be stashed with them.  I'd probably go with .38's all around even though the Astra can handle the more powerful rounds just because of my wife's absolute hatred of revolver's recoil.  So what's missing?  Holsters!  

I've searched...and searched...and searched and I could not find a single holster that would fit my Astra.  It is an odd design that has a large bump right in front of the trigger guard that won't fit any modern holsters.  

Plus, for every 50rds of .38, I can fit around 300rds. of .22lr and around 150rds of .32acp.  

So again, a possibility but not without finding a holster for that Astra.  What I could do is pick up one of those $200 Armscor colt clones and I'd be good to go.  I'd just have to weight whether the reduced ammo/capacity would be worth the money and switch.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My $0.02.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Custom holster?  I work with a guy who bought some leather, some leather working tools, and has begun making them.  Does a great job.  I bet you could get one made for for it.  I've also seen some Kydex DIY stuff that has turned out well.  I'd shoot 38 Spcl too.  In a light weight revolver such as a S&W airweight snubby, 357 recoil is simply too much in my opinion.

Also, even without speedloaders, revolvers can still be reloaded fairly quickly.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
p64 radom in 9mak with critical defense
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We are talking about a pistol that stays in the BOB or in the trunk, right.

I Carry a 9mm almost all the time, in my get home bag I keep my sr22 with mini mags in it, a spare mag of minis and a spare of sub sonics.

It's a rare occasion that I don't have my carry piece, but it always have that bag with me.
View Quote

This kit is basically a back-up to the BOB/GHB.  Again, gives minimal/basic capabilities that would be important for surviving in our region.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a Sub2000 in 9mm for my truck gun.

I'd prefer a rifle, of course, but I can't conceal that in the truck as well as I'd like.
View Quote

That's where the SU-16C comes in.  Folds up, but obviously no rifle will fit in an ammo can.  That's why this is specifically looking at pistols.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Custom holster?  I work with a guy who bought some leather, some leather working tools, and has begun making them.  Does a great job.  I bet you could get one made for for it.  I've also seen some Kydex DIY stuff that has turned out well.  I'd shoot 38 Spcl too.  In a light weight revolver such as a S&W airweight snubby, 357 recoil is simply too much in my opinion.

Also, even without speedloaders, revolvers can still be reloaded fairly quickly.

View Quote

Right, I thought about that.  And if I go the route of switching to these that's what I'll have to do.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
p64 radom in 9mak with critical defense
View Quote

I actually have 3 Mak's.  One normal Arsenal and the others are CZ82's.  Now one CZ is a LNIB and the other has some wear on the outside.  BOTH have had the exact same problem on the first trip to the range...the slide releases spring comes loose and gets lodged in the gun making them less useful or useless.  No one in hell I'd ever use one of those guns for anything more than range toys or SHTF trades.

The Arsenal Mak on the other hand has been VERY reliable and seems significantly better made.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#26]

John
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Love to see the pocket you conceal that one in.....................
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Appendix carry and you are not going home alone is all I have to say
My trunk gun in progress (trying to find the right bag)
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'd have to buy another pair.  While not in the budget right now, it's certainly possible in the future.

However, I do have other 9mm's, like I said, so standardizing the platform would be the only issue now.  Same ammo though.

But again, looking at the original issue...small caliber vs. large(er)....thoughts?

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Ah! Something not being in the budget is certainly something I am familiar with.

As to the original small vs. larger caliber debate, I personally don't trust anything smaller than a .380 to be sufficient for self defense. That being said I sure as hell don't want to get shot with a 32 or a 22.

I had a cousin get shot in the head by his best friend with a 22 rifle when they were kids back in the late 40's. Didn't kill him but it put him in a coma for a while and severely screwed his mind up. There is plenty of hard and anecdotal data, like my cousin, showing that small calibers can be effective for self defense.

Obviously YMMV as your situation is probably different than mine. I am disabled and that kinda snowballs through your life. Often in ways you don't anticipate. LOL! I can't physically fight someone off anymore. I need something that is going to do as much of the job for me as I can get and still be concealable and easy to use. So I don't trust the smaller calibers to keep me and my family safe. Yes there is a capacity trade off but I feel the "normal" carry calibers will give me a better chance of ending the threat more quickly thus improving my and my families chances.

With the growing trend of people being attacked by large groups, the wife and I have decided to consolidate on 9mm as a good balance of power, capacity and ease of use. Between the disability and well, life, our training time and training money is limited so we have to make the most of both how and when we can, standardizing platforms and calibers helps us maximize both.

Hope this helps and again this is just my 0.02 cents and YMMV as always.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top