Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2014 10:30:00 AM EDT
I'm having a hard time making a selection. The super light silicone impregnated variety seem nice and light but also not very durable and too stretchy when wet- Not to mention expensive. I'm also leery of grommets/tie down loops for durability concerns over the long term and feel that simply using pebbles pinched in and tied on to might be the best method...

My apologies if I missed the tarp thread somewhere, but any thoughts and advice are very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Kifaru website.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check out the Kifaru website.

View Quote

Lol For that kind of money I could get  a full on ultralight tent. No way I can spend over 150 bucks for a tarp. That's like some high dollar tarp action. The purpose of this thread is to find lower budget alternatives. I probably just need to order the fabric and break out the sewing machine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used the Equinox a lot. Don't get anything smaller than an 8x10. Money well spent.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
What's wrong with the ol' army poncho?

I used it all through my FTX's and it did everything from keep the rain off me to keeping equipment dry(er)

I speak of as a shelter or cover. They suck to wear. I think they transferred the rain directly to my clothes
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Just bought one of these from yukon. I will let ya know when I get back from my trip next weekend.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Aren't there still a couple of guys on the site doing a brisk trade making them for people?
I know Spoon retired but I thought there was someone else
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, check out Oware USA and Cooke Custom Sewing..  If those are too expensive, then check out Integral Designs.  For cheaper options, try Equinox Ltd..

Silicone impregnated nylon actually has greater tear strength than heavier urethane coated nylon--It is not as fragile as it looks.  Oware sells tarps in heavy-duty tarps for outdoor education programs, "ultralight" silicone impregnated tarps and even lighter tarps in cuben fiber.  I have some of their stuff, and it rocks.   I also have some Equinox gear, and it is a great value for the money.

If you're not familiar with cuben fiber, google it before you buy.

ETA - I also have a couple of THESE from Campmore.  They are a pretty nice tarp for the money--lots of tie outs.  I think they are made for Campmor by Equinox.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Kelty Noahs Tarp and like it. I just use it for covering my cook site when car camping though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just bought one of these from yukon. I will let ya know when I get back from my trip next weekend.
View Quote

Tag for the update, that looks like just the thing for me. Snap a pic of it pitched for us if you can remember!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#11]
SilNy BCUSA 5x7 Tarp for $40. Weighs 6.5 oz.

Tie out loops > Grommets. Tarp tension adjusting are part of the tarp game.

Edit: sold out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I see someone mentioned oware tarps.

I have a rectangular one. The cat tarps have always intrigued me. They have different materials to choose from, like Cuban fiber. ect.

http://shop.bivysack.com/
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Woot sells those for $19 about once a month, I have one and it's not bad.  I also have a british army basha I got off ebay for a good price

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Tag for the update, that looks like just the thing for me. Snap a pic of it pitched for us if you can remember!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

will do.

Quoted:
Woot sells those for $19 about once a month, I have one and it's not bad.  I also have a british army basha I got off ebay for a good price

Dang. I always forget about that place.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Warbonnet super fly, expensive yes, but well wort the money if you think you might get into hammock camping.

In the pic the doors are folded in but during cold or bad weather you can pretty much turn this into a tent for a hammock.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I rocked a Moss Parawing for a very long time. Switched to an Integral Designs a few years ago.

Very light weight and nice OD green color to keep my camp visibly low profile.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Warbonnet super fly, expensive yes, but well wort the money if you think you might get into hammock camping.

In the pic the doors are folded in but during cold or bad weather you can pretty much turn this into a tent for a hammock.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll40/badfish25/IMG_20140525_072857_zps67835ba3.jpg

View Quote

Came to post this.... By once cry once..
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto. I just bought a few from wool last month for $20 each. I set them up over my hammock and slap straps and it all went together pretty easy. There are lighter ones out there though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been researching the best value in an inexpensive ~10x10+ tarp for my BOB and it seems like the Equinox and Chinook are tough to beat. The Chinook seems like the better choice because it uses tie outs versus grommets. The 9.5'x12' Chinook is typically $63 on Amazon. I just found ti for only $45 shipped so I finally jumped on it.

Chinook 9.5'x12' $45 shipped
Chinook $48 shipped on Amazon

ETA: decent video of the tarp's features. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9VZETQ3UAE
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Walmart sells a small silny tarp in the camping section, its around $8 but its pretty small 5x7 if I remember right.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I finally gave up and just settled on a Harbor Freight $2.99 with coupon green 7x9 I think is the size.

It works perfect when strung diagonally for my ENO hammock, or folds for a lightweight lean to style. I've used it in rain and freezing temps.

I like how sturdy they are compared to the lightweight stuff. I can lay it on the ground and walk all over it and still works perfect. I bought about 5 of them last year and am only on my second one.

Still very light and a lot more versatile in my opinion.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I finally gave up and just settled on a Harbor Freight $2.99 with coupon green 7x9 I think is the size.

It works perfect when strung diagonally for my ENO hammock, or folds for a lightweight lean to style. I've used it in rain and freezing temps.

I like how sturdy they are compared to the lightweight stuff. I can lay it on the ground and walk all over it and still works perfect. I bought about 5 of them last year and am only on my second one.

View Quote

You're talking about a regular poly tarp, right? They're certainly cheap, prime example HF $3. But they're heavy and don't compress well. I have a couple heavy duty HF tarps that I use for ground clothes when tent car camping but no way I'd want to pack one for backpacking. But it sounds like you're happy with it so that's great that you found a cheap way out!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You're talking about a regular poly tarp, right? They're certainly cheap, prime example HF $3. But they're heavy and don't compress well. I have a couple heavy duty HF tarps that I use for ground clothes when tent car camping but no way I'd want to pack one for backpacking. But it sounds like you're happy with it so that's great that you found a cheap way out!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't say it's heavy. But for packing it I wrap around the foam pad I use in cold weather or roll up and slide in the side of the pack. My 3 day pack weighs about 12-15 pounds, with food and water included.  And sometimes I can get it under 10lbs in the summer. If I'm going for 5-7 days it might bump up a few pounds with food. So weight is really not an issue.

I'm curious what you are trying to get your pack down to if a few ounces of tarp is making a difference?

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#24]
A sheet of Tyvek is what you want as long as you aren't concerned about it being low visibility.  A lot of backpackers use them as a tent footprint.  If you want something tougher, a lot of the commercial tent footprints will do what you want.

Tyvek footprint at Campmor
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wouldn't say it's heavy. But for packing it I wrap around the foam pad I use in cold weather or roll up and slide in the side of the pack. My 3 day pack weighs about 12-15 pounds, with food and water included.  And sometimes I can get it under 10lbs in the summer. If I'm going for 5-7 days it might bump up a few pounds with food. So weight is really not an issue.

I'm curious what you are trying to get your pack down to if a few ounces of tarp is making a difference?

View Quote

At that point, I guess the extra ounces don't matter, that's impressive. And wrapping it around a foam pad means the packability doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#26]
You can make a pretty good lightweight  tarp with Tyvek and Gorilla tape. Plastic washers Gorilla-taped in the edges and corners for grommets. You can even Gorilla-tape a space blanket and clear plastic to it to make a "Super Shelter".
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#28]
1- real sil is not flimsy...saggy (insert other problems
2- grommets suck add weight.

A typical 1.2+- oz rip stop 5*8 tarp will wiegh around 4.5-6.5 oz. It will fold small (backnpocket small.)
A sil tarp even small and you'll lose about on avg 1 oz.

My 8*8 with tie out rope...stuff sack and stakes runs 12-13 iirc.

Make your own its cheaper. Fabric runs 2-8$ an oz...add 3$ more for ribbon ...fir tie outs.then thread /needle.

If you can sew it'll take 35-45 min from start to finish.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
1- real sil is not flimsy...saggy (insert other problems
2- grommets suck add weight.

A typical 1.2+- oz rip stop 5*8 tarp will wiegh around 4.5-6.5 oz. It will fold small (backnpocket small.)
A sil tarp even small and you'll lose about on avg 1 oz.

My 8*8 with tie out rope...stuff sack and stakes runs 12-13 iirc.

Make your own its cheaper. Fabric runs 2-8$ an oz...add 3$ more for ribbon ...fir tie outs.then thread /needle.

If you can sew it'll take 35-45 min from start to finish.

View Quote

Where is a good resource for the material? I can find it for $5.38 a yard if I buy 10 yards for 70d 1.9oz silnylon coated. Is that a decent price?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#30]
1.9 dwr is heavy think military poncho heavy. 1.5 or less for tarps IMHO.
Check Wally mart fabric sections...you may not find sil (I have)  but you may find lighter wieght fabric that'll work in the 1-3$ a yard range.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

At that point, I guess the extra ounces don't matter, that's impressive. And wrapping it around a foam pad means the packability doesn't really matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've learned over the years to just take the barest of equipment, my shoulders aren't in good shape so have to go ultralight. And because Georgia has water everywhere I may only carry 1 liter. And a life straw. Drink when I cross a creek or pond. And use the bottle to sip on through out the day. I only carry a canteen cup and boil some at night to refill the bottle for the next day.

I also don't bring clothes or useless stuff. In winter I might add a fleece set of long underwear and a knit cap.

Now when I was younger..... I'm surprised that I didn't need a DoT inspection log with all the junk I carried.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've learned over the years to just take the barest of equipment, my shoulders aren't in good shape so have to go ultralight. And because Georgia has water everywhere I may only carry 1 liter. And a life straw. Drink when I cross a creek or pond. And use the bottle to sip on through out the day. I only carry a canteen cup and boil some at night to refill the bottle for the next day.

I also don't bring clothes or useless stuff. In winter I might add a fleece set of long underwear and a knit cap.

Now when I was younger..... I'm surprised that I didn't need a DoT inspection log with all the junk I carried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You couldn't pay me to hump the Ruck I had at 22 years old .....hell even 12 years ago LOL
Technology and wisdom for doing it will never let me go back to those pack mule days lmao.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#33]
BCUSA tarps are hard to beat.  Price is comparative, quality is first rate.
Camping in the SW Virginia mountains:
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Zpacks has camo cuben products
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Got back from the camping trip. The group decided no electronics, so I did not get any pictures.

I promised I would review the yukon rain fly. I used it with a grand trunk double hammock and a thermarest and a +20 coleman syn bag.

As far as my review, It was perfect for the trip. We bedded down near a creek and woke up to thick dew and I was dry in my bag. I never got so much as dripped on. It was light and easily set up although not as quickly as I would have liked. There was no wind in any of the campgrounds and so it did just fine, but I am positive that a good breeze would require much better tie downs than it came with. If I were to go camping back where I grew up in kansas (assuming I can find 2 trees to put a hammock between) I would make my own rigging for the fly.

Here is a picture off the interwebs of the same model being hung

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#36]
How about a shelter that defeats FLIR?

http://www.maxvelocitytactical.com/products/mvt-shield/

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Went camping this weekend and took a couple pics of the tarp.

This is the tie down that comes with it. Kinda light but the wind was blowing pretty good last night and it held. Used different stakes than came with the tarp though
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got that from woot, it's great.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Check hammockforums.net lots of good info there.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#40]
This is just info....takevit fwiw.

1.3 iirc oz nylon rip untreated (think poncho liner) made into a 5 x7 weighs 4.5 oz just under five (non digital scale) .
A 5x8 ft heavy nylon (70-90d) weighs 1 lb. And is twice as bulky as the lighter fabric.

Ill weigh a 5x8 sil one later as I'm pushing out ground sheets etc 1st. But last one was around that 5 oz mark and super small when packed.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Check Wally mart fabric sections...you may not find sil (I have)  but you may find lighter wieght fabric that'll work in the 1-3$ a yard range.

View Quote

Are you thinking the old rubberized ponchos? Because I don't consider current military ponchos to be particularly thick or heavy
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Are you thinking the old rubberized ponchos? Because I don't consider current military ponchos to be particularly thick or heavy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My usgi woodland wieghs 1.2-1.4 lbs iirc.  
That's the ripstop urethane coated 1.9 one.
they measure roughly 5*7.
They compress what thin nalgene size at best.
The same size sil will run sub 6 oz and honestly fit in your back pocket. (Think smaller than a 20 rd m14 /hk91 magazine)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top