Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2014 3:35:35 PM EDT
The box will be bolted to the concrete floor in a detached garage. Gasoline will be in nato 5 gal jerry cans in the box. Should I drill holes in the box for ventilation or not? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Ventilation is important.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes that's why storage boxes on construction sites are heavy steel mesh, NO enclosed boxes! It would be a disaster waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Should I drill holes in the box for ventilation or not
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#4]
My uneducated opinion.  Your gas should be in tightly sealed containers.  If they are vented, the gas goes bad faster.  No holes.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My uneducated opinion.  Your gas should be in tightly sealed containers.  If they are vented, the gas goes bad faster.  No holes.
View Quote

He's referring to storing the containers within a container. Should the cans vent any vapor into an enclosed space, you now have a bomb.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The box will be bolted to the concrete floor in a detached garage. Gasoline will be in nato 5 gal jerry cans in the box. Should I drill holes in the box for ventilation or not? Thanks
View Quote

If the NATO cans are sealed, why do you think you need cabinet ventilation.

The cover closure leakage of the cabinet is sufficient for any ventilation needed.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Why inside a box inside a garage?  Non ethanol gas?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]
the job boxes are not vapor tight. it will breath
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why inside a box inside a garage?  Non ethanol gas?
View Quote

unfortunately ethanol gas but w/ stabilizer added.

Guys, thanks for the replys. I understand venting gas fumes but the reason I asked is that I will be using brand new nato cans as the gas containers and they seal up tighter than a ducks arse, cant smell any gas once they are shut, no leakage when cans are inverted. I am out of caution, and thanks to your replies, going to drill 1/4" vent holes in a grid pattern on each side of the box.

Also, the reason for putting the nato cans in a work box is security. The garage doors stay open a good bit when the weather is nice and jerry cans aren't getting any cheaper if they walk away.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also, the reason for putting the nato cans in a work box is security. The garage doors stay open a good bit when the weather is nice and jerry cans aren't getting any cheaper if they walk away.
View Quote

Job boxes are great for securing tools...kinda challenging to chain down a torch head or a sawzall.

But really a job box is no more secure than a lock and chain...If a thief wants in then they will get in, or get elected and raise taxes

kaiserworks, I think you could do just as well with a chain and lock.

If you are using NATO cans that are working properly then there should be no need to drill the job box.  
IF and this a large If...one of your NATO cans should let a bit of gas out, then normal fuel handling practices should abate any  remaining risk.  

Normal practices like:
Do Not Smoke when handling fuel...Just Say No to
Control static electricity by grounding yourself and the fuel can...but oh you did that when you touched the metal job box and lifted out the NATO can and set it on the floor  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#11]
If gas vapors are heavier then air and the job box breathes only around the top edge then logic says the gas vapors would displace most of the air in the box before it ever vented out excess vapors.

I made a storage unit out of some old steel frames and wire decks used in warehouses for pallet storage.  I got all of it free but its not hard to find stuff like that cheap.  This way each level completely vents to ground level.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If gas vapors are heavier then air and the job box breathes only around the top edge then logic says the gas vapors would displace most of the air in the box before it ever vented out excess vapors.

I made a storage unit out of some old steel frames and wire decks used in warehouses for pallet storage.  I got all of it free but its not hard to find stuff like that cheap.  This way each level completely vents to ground level.
View Quote

Factor in 'diffusion' that will dilute the vapors, aggressively.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh NOOOOOOO!!! That would scratch the paint on my new cans!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh

Kryptonite cable then

Teh new gonna get knocked off someday anyway

Might as well make it on your terms
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
the job boxes are not vapor tight. it will breath
View Quote

Not enough.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Why in the world does it matter????
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I vote for venting it.

Although very unlikely, it's conceivable that simply opening the job box lid could produce a spark, due to metal-to-metal contact between the hinge pieces as they move.

Allowing gas fumes to build up is never a good situation.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that were always true then Engineers in the marine industry would not be so up tight about boats becoming floating fuel bombs with vapors below deck and have specs that everything being "safe" to use in and around gas vapors.

To each his own, I got the cure a couple decades ago while in the ER to get some foreign object removed from my hand.  While deciding where they should cut, a guy came in burned from the waist down from a small fuel fire that started with ignited vapors.  Being summer, he was not wearing heavy clothing and what he did have on burned.  I remember that Man's agony.  In SHTF a fuel fire on you will likely be lethal and possibly burn down the building so logic says not in the building and vented.  IF in the building, why rely on luck and diffusion?  Even if he does, he still needs to make sure possible ignition sources are off the floor.  Then comes that cold winter day when you want to heat the building.  I find by being careful, when I do push my luck a bit, things turn out good.  On the other hand, we often learn from the tragic mistakes of others.

trag·ic
'trajik/
adjective
adjective: tragic

1. causing or characterized by extreme distress or sorrow.
   "the shooting was a tragic accident"
   synonyms:disastrous, calamitous, catastrophic, cataclysmic, devastating, terrible, dreadful, awful, appalling, dismal, horrendous; fatal, deadly, mortal, lethal
   "a tragic accident"
   regrettable, shameful, terrible, horrible, awful, deplorable, lamentable, piteous, dreadful, grievous
   "a tragic waste of talent"
   antonyms:fortunate, lucky
       suffering extreme distress or sorrow.
       "the tragic parents reached the end of their tether"
       synonyms:sad, unhappy, pathetic, moving, distressing, depressing, painful, harrowing, heart-rending, piteous, wretched, sorry
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd vent the shit out of it. Gas vapors can do some serious damage. Err on the safe side.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Prolly a good idea to vent it then...

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Google " propane cylinder cage " can be found behind every empty warehouse, make an offer to remove it for free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top