Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I agree with this ^^^ [TBS] from what I've read and seen over the years.

Non-issue but the Left political machine is desperately trying to make one out of it for some reason.

Likely to condition the Sheeple and see how they react for future strategies.

And to influence the near term elections, but I don't see how this will benefit them.

They have riled up the Sheeple, that's for sure...

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think I agree with this ^^^ [TBS] from what I've read and seen over the years.

Non-issue but the Left political machine is desperately trying to make one out of it for some reason.

And to influence the near term elections, but I don't see how this will benefit them.

View Quote

I have to disagree with you on this one. I think they've done their best to downplay it and protect Obama. Exactly what I expected they would do.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The 2 posts above show the rightys will never give the leftys a fair shake.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
that is because there is a very real definition of airborn transmission and ebola does not meet it.
View Quote

And most people don't understand the difference.

This whole Ebola panic problem as I see it is based on three things

1.) A lack of trust in the CDC and the fedgov. The politicians have lied to us so many times, on so many issues, for so many years, most people simply don't trust them to tell us the truth about anything much less a serious emergency.

2.) A fear of the percentages. If 100 million people get the flu and 50K die that is a .5% death rate. That is odds everyone is comfortable with. If 100 million people get Ebola, depending on the strain, 90 million people die. That is odds no one is comfortable with. People believe if they get it they will die. Add to it that it is a hellishly gruesome way to die and it makes the fear of getting it worse.

3.) A lack of understanding of the terms used by the doctor/ spokesman by the average person. Like the airborne thing. Most people consider catching the germs from someones cough or sneeze as being airborne but it isn't technically airborne. So when the spokes person tells you it isn't airborne but yes you can catch it from a sneeze or cough, the average person hears a contradictory statement based on what he thinks airborne means which leads us back to item 1.

I'm not concerned about catching it, but the idea of catching it does scare me.

My 2 cents and YMMV of course, but the fear of it is really over blown and the media in their race for ratings is fanning the flames. I know they are in business to make money but damn guys you're not helping.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The one thing that would make me more or less. Infer table is if someone who actually knows what the life span is for Ebola living outside a living host. Caught one tv dr saying it was a very short (minutes) span, but burning clothing doesn't make that seem plausible.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have to disagree with you on this one. I think they've done their best to downplay it and protect Obama. Exactly what I expected they would do.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Obama bunch is FACILITATING it with their nutty policies.

Read the news for heavens sakes...  

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

I can't argue with that. I just read they are now going to fast track visas from those countries

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can't argue with that. I just read they are now going to fast track visas from those countries

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The only way we are going to fight this virus and keep America safe is to build an express lane to the US.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:39:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The only way we are going to fight this virus and keep America safe is to build an express lane to the US.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

EXPOSURE.

The best way to build up immunity!

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#11]
What's the latest word on the five people that were living with Duncan in Dallas?  The press has been exceptionally quiet about that part of this story.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

More wide spread?...in the US?  Isn't it something like 2-3 people total that have it?

Now if we were in West Africa, then I'm shittin bricks.

-Emt1581
View Quote

Wait till Thanksgiving, it will be all over the place or it wont be... just have to see.

But I can tell you one thing.... This is the time to prepare.... we have been warned. If nothing happens, GREAT!!

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Is it possible it could spread through the use of paper currency?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Stay out of the strip clubs for a month and you should be fine

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's absolutely possible. Many people are under the misconception that you need direct contact with the infected person, but that is not true. You need to come into direct contact with the infected person's bodily fluids and then it needs to make contact with an open wound or your mucosa. So the answer is yes, theoretically door handles, railings, money, pens/pencils, telephones, etc can all lead to a means of transmission of the disease. The positive/negative side depending on how you look at is that reports estimate the disease to live outside of the body for less than 6 hours.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wait till Thanksgiving, it will be all over the place or it wont be... just have to see.

But I can tell you one thing.... This is the time to prepare.... we have been warned. If nothing happens, GREAT!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More wide spread?...in the US?  Isn't it something like 2-3 people total that have it?

Now if we were in West Africa, then I'm shittin bricks.

-Emt1581

I'm still on the fence about whether this is something to get excited about, but here's something to keep in mind: symptoms may not occur until 21 days after acquiring the disease. Let's keep our fingers crossed and pray there are no further reports of illness in the US.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It's absolutely possible. Many people are under the misconception that you need direct contact with the infected person, but that is not true. You need to come into direct contact with the infected person's bodily fluids and then it needs to make contact with an open wound or your mucosa. So the answer is yes, theoretically door handles, railings, money, pens/pencils, telephones, etc can all lead to a means of transmission of the disease. The positive/negative side depending on how you look at is that reports estimate the disease to live outside of the body for less than 6 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And this must happen after the person beings to exhibit symptoms.

Now having said that, it could be very early when they think it might just be the onset of the flu.

I am only concerned for healthcare workers and EMT folks, they are the ones right now that may be brought into a situation where they could be exposed.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Well healthcare workers could include Dr office receptionists, dental workers, Pharmacists (and technicians), people who work at the Doc in the Box as well.  You can be pretty confident such people could be exposed to someone who is showing flu-like symptoms (early Ebola) and who aren't issued proper PPE.  Sure as shit my wife, who is a Pharmacist, hasn't even heard from management about this situation, and certainly does not have proper PPE (they won't even allow her to wear a mask, and they're very anal about her using only "approved" cleaning supplies, which don't seem to do a good job anyways).  I tell her to use what she needs to and don't get caught.   So she could easily be exposed to some sick customer who comes up and coughs on her and the counter/register.  She frequently enough gets morons who come up, coughing, and ask "do you think I should go to the doctor about this, I've had it for a while".   Or the idiots who are clearly sick, and when she says gee you look pretty sick, have you had yourself checked out, they say no, haven't.  

So I can easily see her being exposed, and bringing it home to myself and our kid.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well healthcare workers could include Dr office receptionists, dental workers, Pharmacists (and technicians), people who work at the Doc in the Box as well.  You can be pretty confident such people could be exposed to someone who is showing flu-like symptoms (early Ebola) and who aren't issued proper PPE.  Sure as shit my wife, who is a Pharmacist, hasn't even heard from management about this situation, and certainly does not have proper PPE (they won't even allow her to wear a mask, and they're very anal about her using only "approved" cleaning supplies, which don't seem to do a good job anyways).  I tell her to use what she needs to and don't get caught.   So she could easily be exposed to some sick customer who comes up and coughs on her and the counter/register.  She frequently enough gets morons who come up, coughing, and ask "do you think I should go to the doctor about this, I've had it for a while".   Or the idiots who are clearly sick, and when she says gee you look pretty sick, have you had yourself checked out, they say no, haven't.  

So I can easily see her being exposed, and bringing it home to myself and our kid.
View Quote

Zillions of other folks are in the same boat, and by Christmas this scare will be on the back pages if there at all.

Stress out over something that can make you some $$$ or have fun or something...

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

they are in the clear as of today
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the latest word on the five people that were living with Duncan in Dallas?  The press has been exceptionally quiet about that part of this story.

they are in the clear as of today

I was reading this info from the World Health Organization about incubation times.  Indeed, 95% of cases show symptoms in 21 days or less, but there are a few folk (5%) who take longer.  Thus the WHO considers 42 days (2x the normal incubation time) to be their standard when considering an outbreak "officially over".  It only takes ONE person who takes longer than 21 days, and has been "cleared" by the authorities, to start an outbreak all over again.  After all, WHO says that one Liberian traveler started the outbreak in Nigeria, back in July...

This makes good reading (assuming it's accurate, which I tentatively assume it is, though I don't entirely trust any govt agencies for sure):

WHO information on Ebola

So probably Duncan's room mates are not going to show symptoms, but there's always that small chance... I would hope that the authorities would consider a longer quarantine just in case... maybe a month?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Zillions of other folks are in the same boat, and by Christmas this scare will be on the back pages if there at all.

Stress out over something that can make you some $$$ or have fun or something...
View Quote

I've done about all I can reasonably do, so the stress has abated quite a bit.  I'm just pointing out there is probably a gaping hole in the govt's response plans that you could float an Ocean liner through; even the large hospitals likely aren't really trained and ready for Ebola, let alone small Dr offices, pharmacies, and other likely points of contact between infected people and "healthcare" workers.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Smallpox reduced the population of Athens by at least 20% in 430 BC.

The Plague of Justinian began in 541, lasted for about two centuries, and killed about 50 million people in the Middle East, Asia and the Mediterranean.

The Great Plague of London actually started in China in 1334 and spread along trade routes. Europe lost 25 million people.

Some time after Hernando Cortes arrived in 1519, smallpox killed perhaps 90% of the Native American population.

The Great Influenza of 1918 killed 30-50 million.

AIDS was identified in 1984, and has since killed about 25 million.

Ebola was identified in 1976, and has since killed about 5,000.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top