Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2014 3:42:40 PM EDT
Would swimming pool chlorine tablets or powder be safe to use? Any other methods for being able to purify large quantities of water fairly efficiently?

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Would swimming pool chlorine tablets or powder be safe to use? Any other methods for being able to purify large quantities of water fairly efficiently?

«tc2k11»
View Quote

Yes. Calcium Hypochorite pool shock (no additives) is the gold standard.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone sell it in small enough tablets to treat exactly 55 gallons? I only have drums right now and it's a pain to measure out liquid bleach every rotation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]
cheapest source of "chlorine" is liquid chlorine:  

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
From EPA website

"You can use granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water.
Add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately ¼ ounce) for each two gallons of water, or 5 milliliters (approximately 7 grams) per 7.5 liters of water.

The mixture will produce a stock chlorine solution of approximately 500 milligrams per liter, since the calcium hypochlorite has available chlorine equal to 70 percent of its weight.

To disinfect water, add the chlorine solution in the ratio of one part of chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water to be treated. This is roughly equal to adding 1 pint (16 ounces) of stock chlorine to each 12.5 gallons of water or (approximately ½ liter to 50 liters of water) to be disinfected.

To remove any objectionable chlorine odor, aerate the disinfected water by pouring it back and forth from one clean container to another."

I have read that "high-test calcium hypochlorite" means 78%.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone sell it in small enough tablets to treat exactly 55 gallons? I only have drums right now and it's a pain to measure out liquid bleach every rotation.
View Quote

You can do the math and determine the weight of calcium hypochlorite needed for 55 gallons.

EPA says 1/4 ounce per 2 gallons of water to make stock chlorine solution, which is then diluted 100:1 with water.
This means the 2 gallons of stock chlorine will treat 200 gallons of water. You have 1/4 of that, so...
1/4 of 1/4 of an ounce, or 1/16th of an ounce, to treat 50 gallons (close enough to 55 for us.)

That's basically 1.75 grams. A rounded 1/4 teaspoon (just weighed it) is pretty much this. (FYI a dime weights 2.26 grams, it's not a lot.)

I also did the math in metric with a target parts per million of 4 ppm and ended up with similar numbers, 2 grams of the stuff will
actually over-treat 55 gallons (208,000 ml * 0.000004 (4 ppm) * 2 (50% free chlorine assumed) = ~ 1.66 grams)

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Bleach
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not pour 4 oz or whatever into a measuring cup and dump it in each barrel?

What could be easier?

It's not critical that measurements are exact...

The tank I treat, 120 gallons, I pour what I think looks abt right straight into the tank. Don't even measure...

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not pour 4 oz or whatever into a measuring cup and dump it in each barrel?

What could be easier?

The tank I treat, 120 gallons, I pour what I think looks abt right straight into the tank. Don't even measure...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What could be easier?

Some people (including myself, until digging a little more) are only accustomed to it coming in huge tablet form.

Turns out it's available as granules, which of course are much easier to measure for various volumes of water.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Wouldn't bleach from say Walmart fit this requirement?  I don't know the cost of granulated or tablet form but liquid stores for years and is dirt cheap for the amount you need per gallon.  Has something changed price wise I'm not aware of?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If you check, you will find that liquid bleach does not have a long storage life.  As I recall, less than a year.  

On the other hand, calcium hypochlorite is dry and has a long storage life.

Also, only a small amount of calcium hypochlorite is needed to purify thousands of gallons.  The EPA link I provided shows that a heaping teaspoon of chemical purifies 200 gallons of water.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wouldn't bleach from say Walmart fit this requirement?  I don't know the cost of granulated or tablet form but liquid stores for years and is dirt cheap for the amount you need per gallon.  Has something changed price wise I'm not aware of?
View Quote

Liquid bleach starts to degrade fairly quickly depending on temperature.

https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/shelf-life-odor/

Q:  My Clorox® Regular-Bleach has lost its odor, what is the shelf life of bleach?

A:  It’s important to keep track of how old your bleach is because yes, bleach doesn’t last forever! When Clorox® Regular-Bleach is stored between 50°F and 70F° and away from sunlight, it will maintain label strength of the sodium hypochlorite active for up to 6 months (at this point hospitals should replace it). After 6 months it starts breaking down into salt and water, but will still perform well for home consumer cleaning needs for up to a year.  Since it’s always diluted before use, you can just use a little more. Beyond a year, it should be replaced because the rate of decomposition into salt and water really speeds up, a big part of why it’s so environmentally friendly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Remember, if you get some get high-test (78%).  I've read that 50% is also available but should be avoided for water purification purposes.

The strong stuff is called Super Pool Shock or Pool Shock 3.  

Also, it should not have other chemicals in it other than calcium hypochlorite (CaClO).
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can do the math and determine the weight of calcium hypochlorite needed for 55 gallons.

EPA says 1/4 ounce per 2 gallons of water to make stock chlorine solution, which is then diluted 100:1 with water.
This means the 2 gallons of stock chlorine will treat 200 gallons of water. You have 1/4 of that, so...
1/4 of 1/4 of an ounce, or 1/16th of an ounce, to treat 50 gallons (close enough to 55 for us.)

That's basically 1.75 grams. A rounded 1/4 teaspoon (just weighed it) is pretty much this. (FYI a dime weights 2.26 grams, it's not a lot.)

I also did the math in metric with a target parts per million of 4 ppm and ended up with similar numbers, 2 grams of the stuff will
actually over-treat 55 gallons (208,000 ml * 0.000004 (4 ppm) * 2 (50% free chlorine assumed) = ~ 1.66 grams)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I did it before I used liquid Clorox and added it as per their instructions of 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons or about 2 1/2 teaspoons which I measured in 1/2 teaspoon amounts. I was pouring from my wife's 1 gallon jug into a 1/2 teaspoon so it was a huge pain in the ass. I know there was probably an easier way but I used what I had at the time. I would LOVE a tablet that you just dropped in the 55 gallon drum with 5 gallons of water to dissolve and then filled the rest of the way. That would be super easy.

Incidentally I was NOT aware of the shelf life of Clorox bleach until reading about it for this post. According to the website you should not use it for water purification if the bleach is over 6 months old. I know the jug I used was way older than that because my wife buys it in bulk at Sam's and only rarely uses it for cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#14]
If you store Calcium Hypochlorite, you need to use caution when storing and handling it.

If it absorbs moisture slowly, it heats up. It can start a fire. Storing it in an airtight container mitigates the danger. Storing it long-term in the cheap plastic bags from the factory can lead to spontaneous combustion.

I believe that is correct.
I forget, but I think it states that on the plastic packaging.

We have several small bags stored in glass quart canning jars, in a box in the shed out in the back yard.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I just purchased a quart of "Puragene" chlorine dioxide from Baytec. I think shipped it was $56.00. Treats 900 gallons of water for 5 years. Can be used to treat water and clean out containers for potable water. Do search for puragene or baytec containers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#16]
As far as measuring goes, you can either use the 1/4 tsp with the hypochorite powder, of if you're going to use bleach,
get a clear shotglass, measure the amount into that, and then use a sharpy marker to draw a fill-to line.

From then on, you have a one-shot and done measuring system.

I just use the shock powder.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

«tc2k11»
View Quote

What you're going to want to look for is Poolife Turbo Shock.

It's 78% Calcium Hypochlorite and doesn't have all of the anti algae agents and extras other brands might have that aren't good for you. You're going to want the 1lb bags.

Shop around. I paid $32 for 6 1lb packs last time I bought some.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Q:  My Clorox® Regular-Bleach has lost its odor, what is the shelf life of bleach?

A:  It’s important to keep track of how old your bleach is because yes, bleach doesn’t last forever! When Clorox® Regular-Bleach is stored between 50°F and 70F° and away from sunlight, it will maintain label strength of the sodium hypochlorite active for up to 6 months (at this point hospitals should replace it). After 6 months it starts breaking down into salt and water, but will still perform well for home consumer cleaning needs for up to a year.  Since it’s always diluted before use, you can just use a little more. Beyond a year, it should be replaced because the rate of decomposition into salt and water really speeds up, a big part of why it’s so environmentally friendly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, shit. Who knew?

Reckon I better find me some pool shock....
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh, shit. Who knew?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, shit. Who knew?

I don't really believe their numbers.

I have bottles of bleach around that are several if not a handful of years old, and they'll still bleach the heck out of my pants when I accidentally spill.

Anyway, Amazon.com has bleach tablets designed for making a gallon at a time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008R1UHVG
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Bleach will still ruin your clothes LONG after it has deteriorated below the necessary concentration to disinfect your drinking water.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Bleach will still ruin your clothes LONG after it has deteriorated below the necessary concentration to disinfect your drinking water.  

View Quote
Right. And if I use twice as much to disinfect the water?

It loses "strength" by becoming saltier, waterier bleach.  Using more of it will still be as effective.

What makes the dyes come apart and lose color is the SAME QUALITY that causes the water to become sterile. Can't have one without the other.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#22]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/618065_How_to__Purify_A_LOT_of_water_for_very_cheap__.html

Aqua Chem Pool Shock (granular).  1% inert ingredients, 99% (ert?) ingredient is Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate and equals 90% chlorine by weight.  It's basically pure dehydrated bleach and available at Walmart in the pool section for $12.97 for 3 1/2 pounds.  If I did my math right--and I probably didn't--this little bottle is enough to purify 30,000 to 40,000 gallons of drinking water.  There's no shelf life. *ETA--if there is a shelf life, it's in the 15-25 year range*  Its easy to measure out the correct amount and the wide mouth bottle is resealable.

From what I've read here and on other websites, 1/4 teaspoon will sanitize 55 gal drinking water.  For 6% (regular strength Clorox), mix a heaping 1/2 tsp to 1 gal water.  (treat drinking water same as you would with liquid Clorox)

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#23]
One might consider storing bleach from a pool supply co. What we buy is 12.5% strength as opposed to the 5.25% household bleach.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
One might consider storing bleach from a pool supply co. What we buy is 12.5% strength as opposed to the 5.25% household bleach.
View Quote

The liquid bleach still degrades much more quickly than the solid forms, and isn't as space-efficient.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I just bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Save-On-Pool-Supplies-68-Calcium-Hypochlorite-Swimming-Shock-24-X-1-lb-Bags-/171376200448?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160  24 1 lb bags for $55.  Now I have to figure out how to store it without killing anyone.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#26]
This is a concern to me because I just assumed that bleach and chlorine powder lasted forever or almost forever.  We don't use enough to rotate any significant amount and I don't like the idea of throwing a bunch away every so often.  Are their any alternatives that are more prepper friendly?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#27]
What about one of those salt systems for pools?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top