User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you saying you don't ever want to sharpen your chains with a file? I think that's a big ignorant and careless. It's VERY easy to sharpen chains. There are many online resources that show you how and it does take more than a few minutes per chain. If you were saying you don't want to take the time to sharpen them in the middle of a cutting session I agree. It's easier for me to just swap out chains real quick than it is to sharpen them.

As I noted Stihl chain is regarded as the best there is. That being said, there are many that are close in quality but a significant amount cheaper.

Me personally, I buy Woodland Pro chains (made by Carlton) from Baileys. Watch their specials and deals, they will often offer some pretty good deals like buy a loop of chain and get a bottle of oil free etc.

Generally you can only run through about 2-3 chains for each sprocket and it's best if they wear evenly (IE rotate your chains). Any time I get a new saw I run the chains that came with it until they are done then I buy 1 new sprocket, 3 new chains, and I rotate through them until the end of their life. FWIW 3 chains and a sprocket will last the average person a lifetime. I heat my house 100% with wood and I help my brother cut wood as well. The only time I have ever bought new chains was when I got a new saw and was equipping it with 3 matched chains in the style that i like (full-chisel).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I want is a link to an Amazon page for a spare. This last summer of storms in Phoenix gave my saw a bit of an extra work, and I'm not messing around with a file and sharpening that bitch.

Are you saying you don't ever want to sharpen your chains with a file? I think that's a big ignorant and careless. It's VERY easy to sharpen chains. There are many online resources that show you how and it does take more than a few minutes per chain. If you were saying you don't want to take the time to sharpen them in the middle of a cutting session I agree. It's easier for me to just swap out chains real quick than it is to sharpen them.

As I noted Stihl chain is regarded as the best there is. That being said, there are many that are close in quality but a significant amount cheaper.

Me personally, I buy Woodland Pro chains (made by Carlton) from Baileys. Watch their specials and deals, they will often offer some pretty good deals like buy a loop of chain and get a bottle of oil free etc.

Generally you can only run through about 2-3 chains for each sprocket and it's best if they wear evenly (IE rotate your chains). Any time I get a new saw I run the chains that came with it until they are done then I buy 1 new sprocket, 3 new chains, and I rotate through them until the end of their life. FWIW 3 chains and a sprocket will last the average person a lifetime. I heat my house 100% with wood and I help my brother cut wood as well. The only time I have ever bought new chains was when I got a new saw and was equipping it with 3 matched chains in the style that i like (full-chisel).

I admit to ignorant. As to the rest... remember I'm in Az. I have fairly little use for Chainsaws. I've almost got to work at it. Mine has been used a few times to cut campfire wood, and twice to deal with a dead/felled residential tree. It doesn't get big-time use, and it only gets that much use because I have the only gas chainsaw of anyone here I own (a few people have electrics). A single spare chain is probably a lifetime for me.

Now, if I have to BO to Montana, I'm probably fucked. But I view that as an unlikely scenario.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I admit to ignorant. As to the rest... remember I'm in Az. I have fairly little use for Chainsaws. I've almost got to work at it. Mine has been used a few times to cut campfire wood, and twice to deal with a dead/felled residential tree. It doesn't get big-time use, and it only gets that much use because I have the only gas chainsaw of anyone here I own (a few people have electrics). A single spare chain is probably a lifetime for me.

Now, if I have to BO to Montana, I'm probably fucked. But I view that as an unlikely scenario.
View Quote

No problem with that... I do highly suggest you learn to sharpen a chain yourself. It's super easy to make a chain cut again if you hit something and wreck your chain if you have just a little bit of knowledge and a chain file. It may not be an expert re-sharpen job, but it may be just the ticket to get you out of a pinch. After you've learned that, it's only a matter of adding a bit more patience, practice, and knowledge (simple reading or watching youtube videos) to get you to the point that you can sharpen a chains to 90% perfect (IE, it may not cut perfect, but it cuts pretty darn good). The key to it all is simply knowing what the tooth is supposed to look like, how the teeth & rakers work in conjunction with one another, and how to stroke the file. Definitely have at least 2 chains minimum; 2 is 1, 1 is none...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No problem with that... I do highly suggest you learn to sharpen a chain yourself. It's super easy to make a chain cut again if you hit something and wreck your chain if you have just a little bit of knowledge and a chain file. It may not be an expert re-sharpen job, but it may be just the ticket to get you out of a pinch. After you've learned that, it's only a matter of adding a bit more patience, practice, and knowledge (simple reading or watching youtube videos) to get you to the point that you can sharpen a chains to 90% perfect (IE, it may not cut perfect, but it cuts pretty darn good). The key to it all is simply knowing what the tooth is supposed to look like, how the teeth & rakers work in conjunction with one another, and how to stroke the file. Definitely have at least 2 chains minimum; 2 is 1, 1 is none...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where can I learn to do so?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an older version of this one. I've cut a lot of wood with it for over 10 years now. It's pretty much bullet proof reliability. I clean it after every use though and make sure the maintenance is done.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/440-e-series/
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where can I learn to do so?
View Quote

Husky How-To page
Stihl How-To video
Excellent PDF from Stihl that will really educate you on saw chain

Very Valuable publication by the US Forest Service This covers a LOT more than just chains, it covers kick-back, different types of chain (with pictures and diagrams) and many other factors as well.
Entire Collection of Stihl Videos The video are free online, but you can order DVDs (for a small charge) if you want them in DVD format.

Unfortunately, I can't find the video that actually demonstrates how the chain passes through the wood, taking small bites as it goes. I found it VERY valuable when I was learning about saw chain... it may be hidden somewhere in all the Stihl videos but I didn't see any title that I thought sounded right for that specific video...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Stihl 029
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Stihl 029
View Quote
Stihl hasn't made an 029 since mid 2001.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dolmar is parent company for Makita.  Thay are A damn good saw, All metal engine case to.   Non of this plastic shit they call engine cases.
View Quote

I went Dolmar for my 50cc saw. More power and lighter than Stihl and Husky homeowner grade for only a few dollars more.
I bought the little Echo for my 30cc saw.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Stihls are good saws, but I would recommend a husqvarna
View Quote

Doesn't Poulan own Husqvarna?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
A holding company owns both.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Husqvarna Group "owns" both
http://husqvarnagroup.com/en/about/history

Europe & Asia/Pacific

The business area develops, manufactures and sells  forest, park and garden products to dealers and retailers in Europe and Asia/Pacific where the Asia/Pacific region represents a small share of the business area's sales. Leading brands are Husqvarna, Gardena, McCulloch, Zenoah, Jonsered and Flymo.
Americas

The business develops, manufactures and sells forest, park and garden products to dealers and retailers in North and Latin America. Most sales take place in the U.S. and Canada. Latin America accounts for a minor share, with Brazil being the most important market. Leading brands are Husqvarna, WeedEater and PoulanPro.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Have had a few poulans, a couple huskies. Bought a Stihl 290 about 6 years ago.

It's easy to work on for a relatively mechanically dumb person (me).

Whatever saw you decide on- USE IT.

A saw that is actually in real use at a homestead takes a fair amount of abuse and work. Cut a couple cords of firewood yearly and you'll begin to have an idea what your saw is made of.

Then make sure the saw model is not being discontinued, buy another identical one and start stocking spare parts, the SHOP manual (not the owner's manual).

Have two 290's in regular use and one new one put up along with spare parts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Husqvarna owner here checking in!

I bought the 450 Rancher in 20 inch and haven't looked back.

I also run a Poulan but that's a basic 14 inch thing made in Mexico. It's ok for limbing and small bucking but for felling it's not so great.  That's when the Husky comes out... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3j3-xABZ9c
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Just a AAR

picked up a Dolmar 35 for my Dad. He was having trouble starting the Sthil ms 170 damn stubborn thing to start..  Well nothing but a great report on the little Dolmar, Starts great has a spring assist recoil works pretty dang good.

We used it to buck up about 3 chord of fire wood, Some of it was over 24" in Dia.

We now have a Dolmar 35, sthil ms 170, Jonsrued 2145, and a husky 266xp pro.  That little dolmar is a gas sipper it runs a dng long time and it has a helluva great oiler for the bar I swear it could feed a 24" bar no problem.

I think I will buy another bigger Dolmar in the 6400 size, for fun.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think I will buy another bigger Dolmar in the 6400 size, for fun.

View Quote

See if any of the Home Depots around you (assuming you have some around you) will be retiring any of their rental saws soon. That is the BEST way to get a good deal on the Makita (blue & gray Dolmar) 6401. That's how I got mine and it has been a fantastic saw...
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#16]
closest home depot is about 5 hour round trip fro my house.  Lives in the sticks
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
closest home depot is about 5 hour round trip fro my house.  Lives in the sticks
View Quote

Bummer... closest one to me is 1.5 hours (completely out of my way), it took me 2 years of calling the home-depots that I occasionally drove past for work travels or for travels to visit family. Finally, after 2 years of trying, one of the home-depots had one that came up for sale and it coincided with a trip to visit family in which I was literally going to drive right past the store (just had to exit the interstate and the store was right there) a few weeks after it came up for sale. They wouldn't reserve or save it until the day that I planned to purchase it so I had to wait, and hope that nobody else was going to buy it. I called first thing the morning of my travels and they still had it. The way I had to do it was reserve it (with a credit card deposit over the phone) for a rental, then come in and they would credit the rental fee toward the purchase... It all worked out in the end and patience paid off. I got a used 64cc real-deal pro-saw for $213 out the door. It even had a new chain on it (brand new, never used). One of the best saw purchases I ever made (second only to my barely used Stihl MS170 for $75).
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
well I called the Home depot store and they do not do rentels, I also sold my ms 170 today for a 125.00. down to 3 saws now so I should still be good LOL.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#19]
My SO needed some big limbs cut off a half dead tree Sunday and instead of getting out the gas chainsaw and rebuilding the gummed up carburetor cause I didn't put stabil in it...

We got out the BOECS  [Bug Out Electric Chain Saw] and the Honda 2000i.

The power of these small electric saws in hard dried dead wood is impressive,  and they are relatively quiet too. They don't attract Zoombies from a mile and more away like gas ones...

I think someone else mentioned how good the electric saws are a few months ago.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My SO needed some big limbs cut off a half dead tree Sunday and instead of getting out the gas chainsaw and rebuilding the gummed up carburetor cause I didn't put stabil in it...

The power of these small electric saws in hard dried dead wood is impressive,  and they are relatively quiet too. They don't attract Zoombies from a mile and more away like gas ones...

View Quote

One thing to remember about electric saws is chaps wont stop them because of the torque they produce.

There are some battery powered saws, mainly the husqvarna Li line that are pretty damn nice.

Think my next top handle saw will be a battery powered husky T536Li.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

One thing to remember about electric saws is chaps wont stop them because of the torque they produce.
There are some battery powered saws, mainly the husqvarna Li line that are pretty damn nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they develop a lot of torque. One thing I like is when you let off the trigger, they stop almost instantly.

The DC motor they use might have some sort of shorting circuit that shunts the motor to almost instantly stop it, no different than a lot of battery operated power tools nowadays.

Mpatch, from your avatar, do you work with saws for a living?

I was using an $80 [8 years ago] Remington saw from Home Depot. The chain is very aggressive, I had it in a box, never used it, it was put away for the Bird Flu potential SHTF abt 2006.  

I have used electric saws and electric pole saws some years ago when I had to cut down and get rid of a lot of trees and due to tree cutting restrictions by an HOA or something worse [ain't gonna say what, SOL and all] at the time, on a property sold, it had to be done attracting 0 attention. I took down lots trees 45 feet tall 8 feet from a building, mostly pine and fortunately had a lift and could drop them in sections.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes I do and have for the last 15 years

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Great pictures! Thanks!

Looks like you walk the walk...  

How's the compensation in your line of work?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#24]
If your not planning on using the saw on a somewhat regular basis - you WILL have fuel related issues , no matter what brand saw you buy of fuel you dump in the tank.  

If possible buy ethanol free fuel in a sealed can for gas powered priducts ( $7-8 per quart ) has much longer shelf life

For a non Stihl or Husqvarna option ---Check out the Echo Timberwolf, 60cc metal crankcase saw - runs full size logger chain ( 72 LGX ) - great buy at around $400

For people that don't use saws at least once a month , check out new electric options from Oregon - they are leaders in the logging industry and have introduced excecllant electric saws

CS-1500 - corded
CS-250 cordless
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Great pictures! Thanks!

Looks like you walk the walk...  

How's the compensation in your line of work?
View Quote
You have to do it because you enjoy it. The pay is decent if you are very good at it. There is actually a huge shortage of "good" tree guys. If you can do tree work you can go anywhere that has trees and have a job in less than a day. The pay varies on location but top production guys can make between 20 and 30 an hour. The biggest issue is there are no new people getting into it that stick around long enough to be good. On average it takes close to ten years working in a production setting the be a top guy. I have trained roughly 15 people in the last 5 years and only one or two are still in the tree industry. It is one of those jobs where you have to pay your dues as a ground guy before you can advance which normally weeds out the weak ones. I was once told by another tree guy "it's one of the best dead end jobs out there" which I would have to agree with. It is pretty rough on the body, you wont find anybody thats been doing it for a while that doesn't have one ailment or another (mainly upper body issues) and that hasnt been injured in one way or another. It's in the top 2 of most dangerous jobs most years, if one of the monthly tree care publications they list all of the reported major injuries and fatalities for the previous month and a brief description of what went wrong.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got a friend in the east who has been doing it a long time, he was also a top six shooter competitor guy out your way...

He's getting older now and what you say abt the toll it takes on ones body is so true...

He's quite fit and the ladies would think him a great catch...  .
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If your not planning on using the saw on a somewhat regular basis - you WILL have fuel related issues , no matter what brand saw you buy of fuel you dump in the tank.  

If possible buy ethanol free fuel in a sealed can for gas powered priducts ( $7-8 per quart ) has much longer shelf life

For a non Stihl or Husqvarna option ---Check out the Echo Timberwolf, 60cc metal crankcase saw - runs full size logger chain ( 72 LGX ) - great buy at around $400

For people that don't use saws at least once a month , check out new electric options from Oregon - they are leaders in the logging industry and have introduced excecllant electric saws

CS-1500 - corded
CS-250 cordless
View Quote

Red-
Thanks for the tip on the electric saw. For my occasional use, this might fit the bill, and not kill my wallet. $129 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Red-

Thanks for the tip on the electric saw. For my occasional use, this might fit the bill, and not kill my wallet. $129 on Amazon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CS-1500 - corded
CS-250 cordless

Red-

I bought the same saw , same price at my local dealer - I only buy oregon chains ( sold under brands Oregon , Carlton , Windsor )
Amazed at how well the saw works , capable of way more than I thought it would
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Is the $129 saw lithium battery powered?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Na, its the 110VAC version. The battery powered one looks like it's another $270.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#31]
After using the ac version ( with plug in cord )
I liked it enough to buy the lithium ion version - very happy so far.

I have gas ( large saw) but for most jobs i find myself grabbing these 2 Oregon saws

Good luck with whatever you try
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top