Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 12:35:59 AM EDT
So I have been thinking with all the bugs coming from Africa and all the the lone wolf bullshit be touted on the news which would be a good 308 round to hold out to a distance? Now keep in mind I have a M1a and a Remmy bolt gun.
Thanks
Elvis
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#1]
168/175gr  Sierra boattail Match King
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#2]
HP or FMJ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:31:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I have been thinking with all the bugs coming from Africa and all the the lone wolf bullshit be touted on the news which would be a good 308 round to hold out to a distance? Now keep in mind I have a M1a and a Remmy bolt gun.
Thanks
Elvis
View Quote

Wich round would NOT do the job?

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HP or FMJ?
View Quote

HP
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:45:01 AM EDT
[#6]
What does the ebola scare have to do with what particular  308 round you load into your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Dum Dum round with an X carved into it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#8]
The only ammunition in .308 I would not recommend is the kind that is corrosive that misfires. I've only had this problem with old TZ Israeli and surplus Czech S&B ammo. Other than that, so long as your barrel twist will support the bullet weight, it will make big holes.

But if it's ebola you're worried about, I would think about medical prophylactics, disinfectants, and food storage first before ammo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#9]
The best practice (for me) was to match ammo with the rifle, and not depend on any particular ammo for a given "situation".

It took a couple hundred bucks and about a month, but I now know which rifle shoots best with what ammo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only ammunition in .308 I would not recommend is the kind that is corrosive that misfires. I've only had this problem with old TZ Israeli and surplus Czech S&B ammo. Other than that, so long as your barrel twist will support the bullet weight, it will make big holes.

But if it's ebola you're worried about, I would think about medical prophylactics, disinfectants, and food storage first before ammo.
View Quote

I work in med field so squirting stuff like that away isn't an issue especially when the doc I work for is of like mind. And as far as food goes got the base covered real well that's why the need for the long range ins.policy
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The best practice (for me) was to match ammo with the rifle, and not depend on any particular ammo for a given "situation".

It took a couple hundred bucks and about a month, but I now know which rifle shoots best with what ammo.
View Quote

Good idea thanks I'll try that a while back I marked off distances with my range finder and paint so I just may try that  in nov. Unless I get the blessing from the  better half to  drop some cash. She works in the lab at one our biggest hospitals so it scares the bejesus out of her too. This brought her to the dark side! Lol!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Obviously I don't know what will work best with your rifles, but I've gotten mine down to 4 bullet types.

155gr Amax for HD

175gr SMK for long range work

180gr bonded core-lokt, have a few of these laying around for hunting

147gr FMJ, cheapest I can find for blasting away at the range
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The m1a is probably going to work best with 146 grain stuff.  This might be the one where running heavier weight bullets needs some mods to the rifle so the operating rod lives a normal lifespan.

Bolt action will shoot anything but probably works best with whatever it was made to stabalize with the rifle twist.

I have run the south african surplus through my 308s and just mostly stick to 150 grain stuff because it is a consistant weight for me to try to be around.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What does the ebola scare have to do with what particular  308 round you load into your rifle.
View Quote
Same as the 'lone wolf', duh.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The m1a is probably going to work best with 146 grain stuff.  This might be the one where running heavier weight bullets needs some mods to the rifle so the operating rod lives a normal lifespan.

Bolt action will shoot anything but probably works best with whatever it was made to stabalize with the rifle twist.

I have run the south african surplus through my 308s and just mostly stick to 150 grain stuff because it is a consistant weight for me to try to be around.  
View Quote

This

Your rifles probably have twist rates to stabilize 147gr to 150gr projectiles. Shooting them with different types of ammo will show you what the rifle shoots best.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]
If I remember correctly Fackler determined the German bi-metal 147gr FMJ had the most effective terminal performance of any 7.62X51mm military cartridge.  If you're looking at stocking up on a bunch of milsurp stuff try to find it.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks
Elvis

Seriously, we're talking 308 here. If there's no serious barriers or body armor involved almost any decent ammo will do fine on almost anything in the 48. Some stuff in Alaska and parts of Canada might be a bit tough for it but we're not really discussing brown bear or caribu hunting. Go with what is best out of your rifle and you can shoot enough of to be comfortable with at various distances. Keep in mind, the two rifles may not like the same ammo at all. Remington bolt guns in 308 are known for having quite a bit of extra space before the rifling. They tend to like longer rounds for the same bullet, while the semi auto needs them to both fit in the magazine (which is probably shorter than the bolt gun's by a good bit) and also not jam into the rifling so hard it doesn't close the bolt reliably.

Don't get me wrong, they may be perfectly happy with the same ammo, or at least happy enough that the rifles aren't the limiting factor. If you aren't concerned with MOA at 600 yards or more, most quality ammo is going to be fine out of either rifle.
It's already been said, but the 168 and 175 Sierra Match King bullets, whether in handloads or factory ammo, are often considered the gold standard. If you want something more suitable for physically tougher targets there are Game King bullets almost as accurate and a dozen or so additional bullets by other companies like Barnes, Nosler, Hornady....
Work the problem backwards from the target. What is the target, what is the expected conditions, what is the maximum range.... Then pick a load that fits the most demanding application without being unsuitable for the others. This is why the 175 SMK isn't the be all end all of 308 bullets. There are plenty of bullets better at it in specific areas so as you narrow your criteria down there may be superior options. As a starting point though, really hard to beat them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly Fackler determined the German bi-metal 147gr FMJ had the most effective terminal performance of any 7.62X51mm military cartridge.  If you're looking at stocking up on a bunch of milsurp stuff try to find it.

View Quote

Fackler as in Dr. Martin Fackler??   Never heard that report, but I do have 2-K of that bi-metal from AmmoMan a few years back. Fine for the Socom, but the Savage 10 throws it ALL over the place.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Fackler as in Dr. Martin Fackler??   Never heard that report, but I do have 2-K of that bi-metal from AmmoMan a few years back. Fine for the Socom, but the Savage 10 throws it ALL over the place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, here's a relevant excerpt and a link:
The construction of the
West German 7.62 mm NATO bullet differs from the US 7.62 mm NATO round in that,
the jacket material is copper plated steel, whereas the US version is copper
(or the so called gilding metal alloy, which is predominantly copper). The West
German steel jacket is about 0.6mm thick near the cannelure and the US copper
jacket is about 0.8mm thick at the same point. This design difference is
responsible for a vast difference in performance in tissue. The German bullet,
after travelling point-forward for only about 8 cm, yaws and breaks at the
cannelure. The flattened point section retains only about 66 % of the bullet's
weight, the remaining 45 % mass becomes fragments (Fig. 8). The wound profile
can be described as an enlarged M16 profile (Fig. 3), with dimensions of the
tissue disruption increased by 60 % (temporary stress cavity about 22 cm
diameter; permanent crush cavity about 11 cm diameter, penetration depth of the
bullet point about 58 cm).

http://www.uthr.org/SpecialReports/Military_rifle_bullet_wound_patterns.htm

ETA: Fackler doesn't appear to be as good at math as I thought he might be.  Or there's a typo in there.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

welcome to ARFCOM SF.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#21]
All great info, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#22]
155 grain Amax
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Under what circumstances do you imagine shooting people at .308 distances?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View Quote

That's easy...

Fantasy Circumstances.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#25]
mil ball.

Why?
-soft target...it's 308, it's gonna work regardless
-hard target..fmj stands the best chance
-barricade...fmj stands the best chance
-trajectory? good

More importantly, you can buy enough to economically get dope for ranges, temperature, etc without spending $1+ a shot or having a dozen different types of premium ammo (because the store doesn't stock enough of one type).
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Obviously I don't know what will work best with your rifles, but I've gotten mine down to 4 bullet types.

155gr Amax for HD

View Quote

you use .308 for HD?? awesome!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's easy...

Fantasy Circumstances.  

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2w_ywbplpWqDaJPqHz2wN2BqlrF_9F11mhvisXN86QxsfZCdXUQ

this, what a joke...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope not to shoot anyone but to let them know to move along. And not some stupid zombie clown bullshit people been posting. I live in the sticks and I plan to stay that way! So I figure it to be a legit question.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yes. Dr. Martin Fackler.

IIRC, the West German 7.62 milsurp had a thinner jacket than most other milsurp FMJ and fragmented very much like M193 only with greater tissue damage due to its larger caliber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. Dr. Martin Fackler.

IIRC, the West German 7.62 milsurp had a thinner jacket than most other milsurp FMJ and fragmented very much like M193 only with greater tissue damage due to its larger caliber.

That's exactly what he observed.  I added a link and an excerpt in another post above/previous page and he gives some dimensions (0.8mm vs 0.6mm) and other info.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

155gr Amax for HD

Yep, kept a L1a1 by the nightstand for nearly a year after running out of good 5.56 ammo. Now it's back to 77gr SMKs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#32]
How hard is it to get the German milsurp? Or at least find it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Easy enough by the looks of it.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/308-win-762x51mm-nato-147gr-fmjbt-german-ammo-m80.html

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I have been accumulating 7.62 Milsurp for years.  Thats what I feed M1A rifles.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/308-win-762x51mm-nato-147gr-fmjbt-german-ammo-m80.html

Out of stock
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I hope not to shoot anyone but to let them know to move along. And not some stupid zombie clown bullshit people been posting. I live in the sticks and I plan to stay that way! So I figure it to be a legit question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Firing warning shots to get people to move along is a legitimately terrible idea.

Unless you're planning on taking 500 yard shots, buy yourself some Winchester White Box 7.62 and call it a day.  American Eagle has a good .308/7.62 round for an M1A also.

Honestly though, I don't think you're going to get much unwanted traffic out of an Ebola outbreak.  Assuming it was some worst case scenario, I think for Ebola, must people would just hunker down.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Out of stock
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Out of stock

Man, it figures.  I like the places that indicate it's out of stock when it's out of stock so you don't bother adding it to your cart (or sending links to people).  Sorry....keep looking.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Rounds that go bang every time you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I have no idea what will work best in your rigs, but I keep about 2k of the following( Mixed)

Mk319 130gr SOST

mk316 175gr SMK BTHP

168gr AMAX
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you considered that popping off warning shots at random passerby would attract more of the attention you want to avoid?  If one of my neighbors out in the sticks went off the deep end like that during a time of "community crisis" for lack of a better phrase, I might be inclined to put a stop to it.

What's your plan for detecting these random passerby at 600+ yards?  Cameras, motion sensors?  You have NV and/or a thermal optic in case these ne'er-do-wells come at night?

I think you need good neighbors, a couple dogs, and maybe a "keep out" sign, not a sniper rifle with expensive ammo.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Have you considered that popping off warning shots at random passerby would attract more of the attention you want to avoid?  If one of my neighbors out in the sticks went off the deep end like that during a time of "community crisis" for lack of a better phrase, I might be inclined to put a stop to it.

What's your plan for detecting these random passerby at 600+ yards?  Cameras, motion sensors?  You have NV and/or a thermal optic in case these ne'er-do-wells come at night?

I think you need good neighbors, a couple dogs, and maybe a "keep out" sign, not a sniper rifle with expensive ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just trying to figure out why anything thinks bugging out over Ebola is even a remotely good idea.  Last winter was brutal, and the experts are saying this winter is going to be more of the same.  There's not going to be an SHTF over Ebola.   By Valentine's Day, Ebola is probably going to be a distant memory for most of us.  If someone is seriously concerned, they need to forget the ammo and go buy face masks and rubber gloves, or something.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone score some of the $8 per box ZQ1 at walmart this weekend? My store still has the 3 box limit so I was only able to grab 6 boxes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

warning shots at 600 yards.  excellent idea.  why didn't think of that?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

WARNING!  There's a dangerous, violent, crazy person here who is shooting in a situation that would be almost impossible to consider as self-defense!

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I can see the charges now:

Feloniously and Maliciously Shooting at uh, -People....

Ought to be good for 5 years with 3 off for good behavior...

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#46]
No such thing as warning shot! That's signs are for. Can't read them not my problem. Don't habla not my problem. Head turning into goo at long distance my problem! Come on to my land at long distance and I think your up to no good my problem. But I'm not talking dropping people just cause. That would silly!
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

No such thing as warning shot! That's signs are for. Can't read them not my problem. Don't habla not my problem. Head turning into goo at long distance my problem! Come on to my land at long distance and I think your up to no good my problem. But I'm not talking dropping people just cause. That would silly!
View Quote

Just stop.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

you should not be left un-supervised
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Just stop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just stop.

Yes -put your footie down...

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Turned into a GD thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top