BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like "SPOT" also makes one (SPOT Connect.)  Never heard of these sat text link devices before but they look pretty neat.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116
View Quote

Interesting. Didn't know they had released one

A few years ago I did a review of the original SPOT communicator and it failed pretty badly in an urban environment (Las Vegas strip). That review can be found HERE. The new SPOT Connect that you linked to is a completely different animal from the unit I reviewed.

Here is my mini-review of the InReach device from last year LINK
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Are these bi-directional? [For personal messages]

Can 2 Spot users com with each other -between the Spot devices. Say to coordinate a real-time BO in individual vehicles.

What's the latency between messages?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are these bi-directional? [For personal messages]

Can 2 Spot users com with each other -between the Spot devices. Say to coordinate a BO in individual vehicles.

What's the latency between messages?
View Quote

No idea about the new SPOT device, but the InReach device is bi-directional. InReach users can easily send and receive texts, alerts, location updates etc to each other.

Latency is typically no more than a few seconds to a half minute. There were a couple of times during my testing that latency was as long as twenty minutes, or the message failed to send at all on the first try ... but that was with me deliberately trying to make the device fail (transmitting from under heavy tree canopy, from inside a building etc).
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't believe GMRS has barely been mentioned…this is why I asked for a full blown RF/Comms forum versus just the Ham Forum (even though everyone on there is more than happy to help).

OP, GMRS is very similar to the business band. It's Part 95A (once upon a time GMRS was a spin off of Part 90). You may recognize it from the little bubble pack radios (toys) they sell at Cabelas, Walmart, Target, Academy, Bass Pro, etc that are both FRS and GMRS combos. Most of them will not do the repeater splits, and for the most part they are fairly low power.

Part 90 (Business Band)
Pros:
It's you're own licensed frequencies
You can get away with saying almost anything over the air
Digital is allowed
As long as you're licensed for X amount of users, X amount of people can use the service
Repeaters are allowable (though need to be coordinated with the FCC)
License period is good for 10 years
Repeaters do not have to ID

Cons:
Pay per frequency (roughly $100-$150 dollars), more if it's state/national coordination.
Limited ERP (Effective Radiated Power)
Locationalized (you'll have an operating radius from the location you hold the license)
Narrowband (3-6 dB more signal to cover what wideband would cover unless you're talking about digital)
Handhelds can be several hundred dollars a piece from a shop

Part 95A (GMRS)
Pros:
Fairly cheap ($85 every 5 years, no exam)
Covers entire family
No ERP limit on the paired channels (50W power limit however)
Repeaters are allowed
Still a wideband service (all the goodies left over from narrow banding are still fairly cheap)
Repeaters don't have to ID

Cons:
No phone patching (kinda gone the way of the Doh-Doh to begin with)
No data/digital communications (jury is hung about using MDC1200 for ID/control purposes)
Licensing period is only good for 5 years
May have occasional interference from bubble pack radios
No encryption

Part 95D (MURS)
Pros:
License by rule (no payment to the FCC required for licensing)
Hybrid service (narrow band channels along with 2 wide band channels)
Data/Digital comms is allowed (no encryption)

Cons:
Equipment is expensive (mobiles are nearly nonexistent)
No repeaters
2W power limit (though an unlimited ERP)

Part 97 (Amateur Radio)
Pros:
Almost anything is allowed (within reason)
Repeaters only need ID when being used

Cons:
Every operator must have taken and passed the exam
Still have to coordinate the repeater with a local coordinator (he's a ham, not someone from the FCC)

I noticed the OP is in the Ft Worth area, there are already several GMRS repeaters there (so the OP may be able to ask the owner for access). Another thing about ham/GMRS…surplus equipment is cheap. Surplus is (now) considered to be anything that did not meet the narrowband mandate. There's tons of stuff out there for it. For example, I bought 9 GE Custom MVP's at the Belton hamfest this weekend for $20…three radios had already been converted to 2m repeaters, 3 VHF mobiles that were removed from service 20 years ago (but still work) and 3 UHF mobiles that I'll probably end up making a 70 cm repeater and 2 GMRS repeaters out of. Many people frown down upon crystal controlled gear like the GE Mastr II, GE Custom MVP, Motorola Micor, etc. However, you don't need software, programming cables, or even a computer running DOS to get them running. Many of that stuff is 40+ years old, it still works just fine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do folks ever read and comprehend the various posts incl the OP's original one???

He said ham is NOT an option.

Yet the wishful thinking crowd keep rambling for the OP to get his family to get their ham license.  

Also, to the poster who says it will cost 'thousands' for a commercial system, did you even read where it can be done for far less???

Reading comprehension in so many of these threads is completely out the window.   I can't fathom how some get thru the day....

View Quote

There is no cheap  and easy solution to cover that distance.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
"Handhelds can be several hundred dollars a piece from a shop "

Rule #1

DON'T buy thru a shop...

"Many people frown down upon crystal controlled gear like the GE Mastr II, GE Custom MVP, Motorola Micor, etc."

Don't,  the equipment is GTG.

I bought 2 Yaesu Standard commercial grade HX370s H-T's 2 months ago for $45 each. Person who sold them didn't realize they have full approval [not just marine], easy to pgm, and are a tremendously good radio.

There's a lengthy thread on them in the ham forum.

There still are a bargain at $135 or so, they used to be on sale ~2010 for $85 or so.

"There is no cheap and easy solution to cover that distance."

It depends on the individual I suppose...

What's cheap for one might not be for another.

What's doable for another might not be for someone unwilling to get off his ass and crack open a radio service manual...

Hard reality of life.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread is very interesting. It's made me think about communications more than I wanted to. We tend to look at technology as a problem solver.

Now I see all sorts of inherent problems. The dependency on repeaters or satellites is problematic. Electronics can fail in so many ways.

Maybe the solution is to agree in advance what is being communicated. "Alas, Babylon"? Perhaps the lack of communications at a certain time is the message? Any system can fail, so what is the alternative? "Unless otherwise directed, I will...."

Like a code word plan... If no call at 7pm, then do #4    If no call at 9pm, then do #9

How much can you convey in a non contact situation?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This thread is very interesting. It's made me think about communications more than I wanted to. We tend to look at technology as a problem solver.

Now I see all sorts of inherent problems. The dependency on repeaters or satellites is problematic. Electronics can fail in so many ways.

Maybe the solution is to agree in advance what is being communicated. "Alas, Babylon"? Perhaps the lack of communications at a certain time is the message? Any system can fail, so what is the alternative? "Unless otherwise directed, I will...."

Like a code word plan... If no call at 7pm, then do #4    If no call at 9pm, then do #9

View Quote

The potential lack of infrastructure is why I pushed ham radio.  Get a license, get a $400 HF radio, put up an NVIS antenna.  You have point to point comms over a 200-500 mile radius with no infrastructure.

Even if you build your own repeater you are then dependent on it.  Which means it has to have power and secure housing where all family members you wish to communicate with can "see" it.

Many clubs in the area give license classes, take 1 weekend and $15, get the license.  Get everyone a radio, power supply (or battery), and antenna.  Put them up, schedule contacts every week to ensure the equipment is working and the operator's knowledge is fresh, and you're done.  Alternatively, chase DX as a hobby to refine your skills.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

no need to drop the $200 on a tax stamp for that suppressor either

CB could work but isn't too reliable and is usually full of entirely too much BS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not going to echo what everyone else already said, But if you want to get ham radio equipment you don't need a license to buy it. The FCC is not going to be standing outside your door waiting to bust in and throw cuffs on when you key up without a license. Just don't be stupid with it and follow the general courtesy that hams use.

CB is also an option but having just installed one in my Jeep I have found the majority of CB is just morons in the south running thousands of watts of power to babble overpowering anything else.

The tech license is easy like others have said. But I wouldn't be stressing out about it.

CB could work but isn't too reliable and is usually full of entirely too much BS

Bad comparison.

I can purchase radios from vendors and have them shipped to my door without showing an operators license.

I cannot pickup a suppressor from a store without documentation.

If someone happens to be broadcasting during a SHTF scenario who is really going to give two shits if he or she is unlicensed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been waging an ongoing battle with unlicensed users on my GMRS and commercial repeaters. The problem for me is that as the repeater owner, I'm the poor bastard who faces fines and gear seizure because of the illegal crap being done with MY equipment.

Back a few years ago when I spent the money for my friends and family to have reliable "SHTF comms", every zipper head with a surplus radio within range of my tower started using my gear. I've even had to chase a local taxi company and a pizza joint off of my repeater, to say nothing about the kids blasting music and making the machine basically unusable for legitimate users.

It became a digital cat and mouse game, with me creating oddball PL and DCS tones, and reverse frequency splits. After screwing around with that for a while I went nuclear and started buying gear that was P25 digital and DES capable. The FSA mentality on my equipment drove me insane.

When I add up the total costs for gear, site leasing and backup power I'm north of ten grand out of pocket. With that much invested I'll be damned if some unlicensed jagoff is going to screw it up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The potential lack of infrastructure is why I pushed ham radio.  Get a license, get a $400 HF radio, put up an NVIS antenna.  You have point to point comms over a 200-500 mile radius with no infrastructure.

Even if you build your own repeater you are then dependent on it.  Which means it has to have power and secure housing where all family members you wish to communicate with can "see" it.

Many clubs in the area give license classes, take 1 weekend and $15, get the license.  Get everyone a radio, power supply (or battery), and antenna.  Put them up, schedule contacts every week to ensure the equipment is working and the operator's knowledge is fresh, and you're done.  Alternatively, chase DX as a hobby to refine your skills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ideally one would not just put up one repeater…multiples are always good. Also, the repeater is a great option for enabling more distant HT-HT comms…ideally the op would also be setup with the alternative, a mobile base at each home allowing Simplex coms between the homes. Someone manning the base can always relay if a repeater goes down.

It really doesn't take much to make a mobile based, remote, off gird repeater. Low power and a good antenna can in many instances do better than a high power decent antenna system.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]
That in reach sat text is EXPENSIVE.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been waging an ongoing battle with unlicensed users on my GMRS and commercial repeaters. The problem for me is that as the repeater owner, I'm the poor bastard who faces fines and gear seizure because of the illegal crap being done with MY equipment.

Back a few years ago when I spent the money for my friends and family to have reliable "SHTF comms", every zipper head with a surplus radio within range of my tower started using my gear. I've even had to chase a local taxi company and a pizza joint off of my repeater, to say nothing about the kids blasting music and making the machine basically unusable for legitimate users.

It became a digital cat and mouse game, with me creating oddball PL and DCS tones, and reverse frequency splits. After screwing around with that for a while I went nuclear and started buying gear that was P25 digital and DES capable. The FSA mentality on my equipment drove me insane.

When I add up the total costs for gear, site leasing and backup power I'm north of ten grand out of pocket. With that much invested I'll be damned if some unlicensed jagoff is going to screw it up.

View Quote

Wow CJan, that sucks...

How did they find out you had a repeater up in the first place, just stumbled across it?

Did family members/your users add to the ruckus/disclose PL DCS's etc??

Why not find some old guy with a cabin/house on a hill and make a deal to rent space from him. Mount a small antenna on his roof...

Fortunately, my friends have abt as much interest in talking on a repeater as the man in the moon.  

If I gave them a hand held, they'd prolly use it for a doorstop in their HI IQ Idiot classroom or hotdog stand....

Remember, no good deed goes unpunished. Maybe collect all the radios from your friends and put them away.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I've looked at SAT phones and data devices, which seem plausible. You can buy a device for $300-$800 and then get a prepaid SIM for roughly $100 for 100 Minutes.

There are some more reasonable "data only" devices that will essentially allow you to connect a wifi device and then send texts / emails.

View Quote
That $100 Sim will expire in 30 days.

The cheapest I can get a sat phone service down is about $550 per year.  If you can do it cheaper, I'm all ears.

Delorme InReach is a good option for sat comms, but still 20ish per month per device.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Depending on how they are broadcasting - many people might.

The problem I see with the unlicensed operators is they lack the skills/knowledge to
1) Enter and operate in a controlled net
2) Setup their radios
3) Operate their radios such that they don't step on other (licensed) operators and repeaters.

Stupid simple things that can be legally practiced prior to an emergency with a simple license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If someone happens to be broadcasting during a SHTF scenario who is really going to give two shits if he or she is unlicensed.

The problem I see with the unlicensed operators is they lack the skills/knowledge to
2) Setup their radios
3) Operate their radios such that they don't step on other (licensed) operators and repeaters.

Stupid simple things that can be legally practiced prior to an emergency with a simple license.

Everything you need to know you can get online, books, videos.

I highly doubt many people or the FCC will be up in arms after an unlicensed individual when ebola-zombies are burning down the cities.

Licensed is the best route but for some people I wouldn't say it's nessacary.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I highly doubt many people or the FCC will be up in arms after an unlicensed individual when ebola-zombies are burning down the cities.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2) Setup their radios

Yeah, but here some folks would turn in their Mom for tying her bootlaces  

The unofficial way...    

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bad comparison.

I can purchase radios from vendors and have them shipped to my door without showing an operators license.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not going to echo what everyone else already said, But if you want to get ham radio equipment you don't need a license to buy it. The FCC is not going to be standing outside your door waiting to bust in and throw cuffs on when you key up without a license. Just don't be stupid with it and follow the general courtesy that hams use.

CB is also an option but having just installed one in my Jeep I have found the majority of CB is just morons in the south running thousands of watts of power to babble overpowering anything else.

The tech license is easy like others have said. But I wouldn't be stressing out about it.

Bad comparison.

I can go to home depot and have a working suppressor in under 2 hours - no tax stamp to buy tubing there.

if it's really a SHTF scenario who are you talking to? among friends if you take over a repeater (as CJan outlined happened to his) I'd wager you'd get DF'd if you finally pissed them off enough.

If you're looking to hold onto a ham radio to talk to someone if the SHTF you'll find a lukewarm reception among hams - they may help the first time but if you stick around they will most likely stop.

book knowledge alone won't teach you HF btw
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Can't you report these offenders to the FCC and let them handle it from there?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Part 90 (Business Band)

Pros:

Cons:

Pay per frequency (roughly $100-$150 dollars), more if it's state/national coordination.

Locationalized (you'll have an operating radius from the location you hold the license)

View Quote
Can't you get an iterant license which would eliminate the localization?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#22]
What's all this stuff about repeaters? Doesn't HF go for hundreds (or thousands) of miles?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you kidding????

Can't even get the police to investigate robberies a lot of places.

Listen to the ham bands and there's essentially TOKEN enforcement.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's all this stuff about repeaters? Doesn't HF go for hundreds (or thousands) of miles?
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/604477_Ham_Radio_101.html

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The unofficial way...    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2) Setup their radios

The unofficial way...    

In an emergency situation to saves lives or property you can use any frequency available, licensed or not. It still makes sense to get your license so you can actually practice with the gear. It's not difficult. Any person bright enough to find this forum and care about prepping for disaster is smart enough to pass the tests

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part 90 (Business Band)
Pros:

Cons:

You could...you're still dealing with the fact most modern chain resturants (not fast food chains) have them, walmarts are starting to go to them (new radios are a little cheaper). The big deal is you are still required to use narrow band equipment. (I don't know of anyone running repeaters on itinerant licenses). Last I checked, most itinerant users have something like a 10W ERP limit as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top