BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As the perpetrator in some of the most threads in the SF to date, I would cut the guy a little slack.
View Quote

What about the threads you start here?  Oh wait...

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As the perpetrator in some of the most threads in the SF to date, I would cut the guy a little slack.

-Emt1581

I have started threads here, if that's what you're suggesting. Feel free to search and link any you find worthy of mocking.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#4]
When did every RC plane., copter, glider, or hover toy suddenly take on the buzz word name "drone"?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When did every RC plane., copter, glider, or hover toy suddenly take on the buzz word name "drone"?
View Quote

When they started adding cameras.

'Drone' is easier to say than 'quad-copter with a camera'.

ETA: The usage is incorrect, but I think that is why.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Cellphone/GPS signal blocker might do the trick
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have started threads here, if that's what you're suggesting. Feel free to search and link any you find worthy of mocking.
View Quote

In the last month I've seen zero.  Who said anything about mocking you?  Wouldn't mocking another member violate the rules we should be abiding by?  My point is, if you aren't coming up with your own ideas or sharing info...I guess on more of a regular basis... don't be condescending toward mine or anyone else's.  

Aside from that, this thread was initially about stealing someone else's property during a non-SHTF/WROL situation.  And we should cut that idea some slack?  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same reason every handgun is a Glock hi capacity magazine and every rifle is an ak47.

Sounds scary, icky and something that should be banned for the children.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Which part of the OP is relevant?

The act of bringing it down is most likely illegal,
but for sure the part in red is relevant as it is a direct violation of the Code of Conduct "#4 Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities"

Theft is illegal.
OP has modified the wording of his original post.

If you mean by relevant, that you are also curious how to take down "drones",
the problem is that it is apparently not illegal for people to fly them around your property.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/07/02/drone-crashes-in-brighton-mans-backyard/

http://www.wxyz.com/news/mystery-drone-lands-in-familys-backyard

and probably happens more than you might think, and will probably increase in the future.

OTOH, I never thought I would need to set up an ADA battery on my property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, the poster asks a relevant questions and gets all kinds of responses from "reported" to put up giant nets over your property.  Nice.  (I have no doubt putting nets all over your property to capture songbirds, migratory birds, various game animals and wildlife, impeding air space as well as entangling other peoples private property is not within the law or your zoning regs, however I won't report that post at this time.)

Which part of the OP is relevant?
Quoted:
is there a way to interrupt an RC drone?  (other than shooting it ) with the purpose of bringing it down.

i would like to have something that can interrupt some one doing a recon of my area, with an RC rotor driven drone,  with the intent of stealing and keeping it for myself.

The act of bringing it down is most likely illegal,
but for sure the part in red is relevant as it is a direct violation of the Code of Conduct "#4 Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities"

Theft is illegal.
OP has modified the wording of his original post.

If you mean by relevant, that you are also curious how to take down "drones",
the problem is that it is apparently not illegal for people to fly them around your property.

and probably happens more than you might think, and will probably increase in the future.

OTOH, I never thought I would need to set up an ADA battery on my property.

I did not have all the facts.  I too am concerned about the original post.  While I can think of some legitimate reasons for knocking down a "drone" doing so just to take someone else's property is not one of them.  
Thanks
Josh
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Air models are not usually water proof. They even have gps safe circles to avoid crashing in higher priced ones. Look into cheap rc glyders and you could clip it with one. Your going to have to damage it to bring it down most likely. Would be fun though
View Quote

I like your Kamikaze solution, but prefer this Axis solution, instead:

FLAK 38
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_cm_Flak_30/38/Flakvierling

Just pick one up at the gunshow.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Lazer? I read where lazers were knocking out digital camera sensors at concerts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#12]
1. I reported all you F'kers
2. Molon Labe
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHKV01YQX_w

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#13]

I swear to God, officer. I thought it was one of those UFO's coming to get me. I can't do anal probing sir. I just can't. So I blew that bastard right out of the sky. All I could think of was the TV aliens with 12" long fingers. I can't do that, man. No way.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I swear to God, officer. I thought it was one of those UFO's coming to get me. I can't do anal probing sir. I just can't. So I blew that bastard right out of the sky. All I could think of was the TV aliens with 12" long fingers. I can't do that, man. No way.

View Quote

Might be better to go to the mental ward then to jail after shooting at some kid's model airplane.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

72 hour hold for you. have fun
also,
man arrested for shooting down drone
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a good thing that the OP and I don't live near one another.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?
do you have a habit of flying cameras around your neighbors houses to see what they are doing?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1. I reported all you F'kers

2. Molon Labe

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHKV01YQX_w

View Quote

GTFO and welcome to my ignore list.

Why, oh why, do people feel the need to post non contributing posts. This is NOT the fu$%^ng GD.
This is a TECH forum.

The rules regarding privacy and perceived threats to your life and property vary greatly by state and county. It pays dividends to do some specific research. If the info is not easily found online a quick call can often get you what you need to know.
Last winter I noticed someone from a neighboring sub division flying a quad copter with camera over homes in our area.
This happened quite a few times a night for a week or so.
Easy solution; I called the sheriffs office. I explained the situation and asked what recourse I have. They politely informed me that shooting it down or at it were a very bad idea and they would be happy to look into it.
In the end it was my HOA (I know, why you hate freedom bro.) that made it go away and spanked the owner.

TLDR version: It doesn't have to be a big deal.  

Edited for hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why?
do you have a habit of flying cameras around your neighbors houses to see what they are doing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

I sure don't, but that being said the mere thought that there's people out there (and on here) who want to bring down my EXPENSIVE personal property that could do damage to others is pretty disturbing.
On top of that, how does one know whether one is carrying a camera or not? Do you automatically assume that because you see a copter flying that it must be spying on you?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I sure don't, but that being said the mere thought that there's people out there (and on here) who want to bring down my EXPENSIVE personal property that could do damage to others is pretty disturbing.
On top of that, how does one know whether one is carrying a camera or not? Do you automatically assume that because you see a copter flying that it must be spying on you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

No,
However, perhaps you should keep your EXPENSIVE personal property over your own property.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cellphone/GPS signal blocker might do the trick
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No,
However, perhaps you should keep your EXPENSIVE personal property over your own property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

No,

Do you shoot at airplanes that fly over your house?

faa rule:

The regulation states that fixed wing pilots must maintain an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft in congested areas.

In other than congested areas it’s only 500 feet above the surface, while over open water or sparsely populated areas no altitude requirement is given. Pilots are requested to stay at least 500 feet away from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
<snip>

Do you shoot at airplanes that fly over your house?

faa rule:

The regulation states that fixed wing pilots must maintain an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft in congested areas.

In other than congested areas it’s only 500 feet above the surface, while over open water or sparsely populated areas no altitude requirement is given. Pilots are requested to stay at least 500 feet away from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
View Quote

First off, it was the OP that was wanting to take down somebody's "drone" not me.
and I believe by "drone" he meant someone  flying a quadcopter with a video camera around his yard.

So, I am not sure what the rules regarding a "fixed wing" aircraft has to do with that.

However, if a neighborhood of houses is considered a "congested area" and you want to fly your quadcopter 2,000' over my house, go for it.

but if you are using it to peep into my daughters bedroom, or snoop around my house and property,
then yea, I might have a problem.

However, perhaps in New Hampshire it's copacetic.

Maybe because I am a Texan or the way I was brought up,
but I would not consider buying a quadcopter with a video camera and flying it around my neighbors yards to "check things out"
any more than I would just hop the fence and walk around their property.

I don't peep in windows, either.
YMMV
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Well!

Good to know, thought all Texans peeped in winders when they weren't hiding behind blades of grass.

That the ---Illegals--- now are standing behind...

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well!

Good to know, thought all Texans peeped in winders when they weren't hiding behind blades of grass.

View Quote

nah, we peep outta windows, not into them......  

all while holding onto our guns and our bibles.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well!

Better mow the lawn...

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#28]
find the transmission tower or antennae.....it should be flying the crystal's colors....match and crash.  Futaba old school?

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Better mow the lawn...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well!

Better mow the lawn...

Need some rain, first.

I believe the Governor is considering an invasion of Mexico.
I mean, if we have to live with the people, we might as well have the land that goes with them, right?

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#30]
HanRf, GNUradio noise generator block at 2.4 GHz, eBay amp, yagi antenna.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Yeah I saw that yesterday in the news.  Boy, between nutjobs blasting them out of the sky and birds of prey getting territorial it kinda makes you feel sorry for the drone.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#33]
"The only way to stop a Harley is with a Harley".

ibtl.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I understand this is a survival forum so this is of great interest to me as I believe having the ability to counter a surveillance drone maybe a key to survival when the time comes
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I understand this is a survival forum so this is of great interest to me as I believe having the ability to counter a surveillance drone maybe a key to survival when the time comes
View Quote

Then a faster maneuverable [fixed wing] drone with several fine [breakaway] Kevlar threads [with periodic tabs to suck into shrouded props] suspended abt 10 feet below it and extending 20 or 30 feet, spaced perpendicular ~10 feet, to the direction of flight.

Never know what happened...  

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Then a faster maneuverable [fixed wing] drone with several fine [breakaway] Kevlar threads [with periodic tabs to suck into shrouded props] suspended abt 10 feet below it and extending 20 or 30 feet, spaced perpendicular ~10 feet, to the direction of flight.

Never know what happened...  
View Quote

I can see it now...drone on drone killing...oh the humanity!! Maybe Sharpton and Gates will team up on this one...

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

And why are so many here in favor of letting other people fly stuff over their property ? If  I walk into your yard it is trespassing, but if I fly a machine 50 feet off the ground in your yard it is not trespassing ?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.

And why are so many here in favor of letting other people fly stuff over their property ? If  I walk into your yard it is trespassing, but if I fly a machine 50 feet off the ground in your yard it is not trespassing ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Do you really think you control what goes on above your house? Check your deed for "sunshine rights."
Do the police ask if they need to fly a helicopter at 1000 ft? Does American Airlines ask your permission for a flyover at 35,000 ft?
This topic is so full of herp and derp I cannot believe it has gone 4 pages.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Do you really think you control what goes on above your house? Check your deed for "sunshine rights."
Do the police ask if they need to fly a helicopter at 1000 ft? Does American Airlines ask your permission for a flyover at 35,000 ft?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I think there is a big difference between someone flying a helicopter or fixed wing aircraft over my home at 1,000'+ and my next door neighbor flying a quadcopter 10' off the ground around my house taking video.

but perhaps I should just smile and wave.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think there is a big difference between someone flying a helicopter or fixed wing aircraft over my home at 1,000'+ and my next door neighbor flying a quadcopter 10' off the ground around my house taking video.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Oh, don't think that I feel that it is a good idea, because it's not. (To be flying your drone over a house not your own.)
HOWEVER- if you feel that your family is in jeopardy that is a different story.
Just like with any other situations, if the law is on your side, and your case is one of self defense then its an easy story to sell.

While I may not feel that this is a big deal, I agree with some of the posters on here that this subject will come up more in the future.
Until that day, I will be here with my pop corn.
Please just tag me for the first playground drone vs. drone fight.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
<snip>
Oh, don't think that I feel that it is a good idea, because it's not. (To be flying your drone over a house not your own.)
HOWEVER- if you feel that your family is in jeopardy that is a different story.
Just like with any other situations, if the law is on your side, and your case is one of self defense then its an easy story to sell.

While I may not feel that this is a big deal, I agree with some of the posters on here that this subject will come up more in the future.
Until that day, I will be here with my pop corn.
Please just tag me for the first playground drone vs. drone fight.
View Quote

I don't really anticipate the problem popping up out where I live.
I guess it could, but I live out in the country, and my neighbors are all pretty picky about their privacy.

I don't know what kind of range people get with the home version drone,
but I suppose it's possible that one could fly around my home without someone trespassing on my property controlling it.

But I believe it may become more common.....

I don't think I would have called the sheriff's department.
I might have just waited for the owner to come claim it, or go ask my neighbors about it.

maybe it already is getting common...... got to figure some people don't report things.
http://www.fox42kptm.com/story/26293987/drone-crashes-in-omaha-mans-backyard
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

reported
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
is there a way to interrupt an RC drone?  (other than shooting it ) with the purpose of bringing it down.

i would like to have something that can interrupt some one doing a recon of my area, with an RC rotor driven drone,  with the intent of stealing and keeping it for myself.

reported

that is so fucking lame.......................
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

reported

The reporting? or the stealing?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

= Felony.  It is a felony to interfere with a licensed transmission.  Use of jamming equipment is another felony.
Suggesting illegal activities is probably a violation of the COC here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

= Felony.  It is a felony to interfere with a licensed transmission.  Use of jamming equipment is another felony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said anything about suggesting? Knowledge =! equate to suggestion or endorsement.

A list of items is not an instruction. It takes far more than a shopping list to make something actually work you know. Plus, who's to say it actually would work. He could rip the door off a microwave oven and turn it on its back and probably accomplish something easier.

Also, how do you know they aren't a licensed amateur operator in the 13 cm band?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Who said anything about suggesting? Knowledge =! equate to suggestion or endorsement.

A list of items is not an instruction it was a suggestion. It takes far more than a shopping list to make something actually work you know. Plus, who's to say it actually would work. He could rip the door off a microwave oven and turn it on its back and probably accomplish something easier.

That would also be the same crime.  Again you are suggesting illegal activities
Also, how do you know they aren't a licensed amateur operator in the 13 cm band?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A list of items is not an instruction it was a suggestion. It takes far more than a shopping list to make something actually work you know. Plus, who's to say it actually would work. He could rip the door off a microwave oven and turn it on its back and probably accomplish something easier.

It doesn't matter how many licenses a person has.  Interfering with another licensed transmission is a felony regardless of how you do it.  WiFi devices are licensed.  If you emit any signal to interfere with it is a crime.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter how many licenses a person has.  Interfering with another licensed transmission is a felony regardless of how you do it.  WiFi devices are licensed.  If you emit any signal to interfere with it is a crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's next? Will you'll be trying to shut down "what round for" threads?

However, it can't be denied that it would be an extremely ignorant thing to do. I wonder how effective something like that would be anyway. Wifi seems pretty robust, plus it's a moving target so the beam would have to be steered or it would have to blanket a really large area with a lot of power.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Anal....
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2.4g isn't a licensed frequency, and most of those use unlicensed transmitters.

Use of jamming equipment is not a felony, nor is it illegal.  Jamming certain frequencies could be, depending on intent.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:57:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Sure you can. I just wrote about it in my book. Hint: one way requires breaking FCC laws and might fry your brain in the process.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top