Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2014 7:42:13 PM EDT
Light tower generators are usually powered by a small 3 cylinder diesel engine of high quality and easy parts avail.

Common brands are Kubota, Cat, Perkins, etc.

They are usually towable and have a 6000 watt capacity, with 220 vac available.

High fuel efficiency for medium loads, light towers are fully self contained with integral fuel tank, and are actually pretty quiet.

If you have room to store one, it might sense to look into these, I've seen them sold from less than one $k on up.

Ebay is a great resource to judge prices and see all sort of models.

Light tower gennys

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot, I'll go in for half for 1k, you take the genny I'll take the trailer!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
A few other SFers and I are promising ourselves to find a weakness of yours and post up links to deals...our budgets shall be avenged
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a M1102 trailer for $800 and a 5.5k generator for $650

With a Generac GP5500   here

I sold the 37 inch military tires and went to some dodge 3/4 ton take off rims to lower it some, and changed the pintle to a regular hitch.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Everybody wants to harden their BOL or BIP, the 4 high pressure sodium 1 kw lights each on these can be mounted on the 4 corners of your bunker and turn night into day.

Once the bad guy shoots one out, I guess there's justification to do what you need to with fewer 'repercussions'.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A few other SFers and I are promising ourselves to find a weakness of yours and post up links to deals...our budgets shall be avenged
View Quote

In

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's one guy's analysis on the merits of a LTG...

Analysis

Where are you going to find a diesel genny that can run 10,000+ hours, 6kw, easy parts sourcing, sorta quiet, on wheels so it's easy to steal, that has 240 to run your well pump, for roughly the price of 2 Honda EU2000u univerters?

OH, 1800 RPM's too! [In the Northern Hemisphere at least]

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Moar AR15 links...

$700

Craigslist

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I kind of like the idea if you are a bit of a mechanic and can work on them. Smart money says they are maintenance intense. Also if you really need that much power you should be planning on either a very short outage or installing a mini oil refinery to feed them. Also don't for get the following: LOUD as FUCK!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I kind of like the idea if you are a bit of a mechanic and can work on them. Smart money says they are maintenance intense. Also if you really need that much power you should be planning on either a very short outage or installing a mini oil refinery to feed them. Also don't for get the following: LOUD as FUCK!
View Quote

Well, you couldn't be more poorly informed.  

I ran one all day today and they are pretty quiet.

Also, these things run for 10,000+ hrs with routine scheduled maintenance, they efficiently sip fuel for the power they generate.

I primarily use ours to supplement the solar panels when we're running heavier than usual loads or the sun ain't shining too good.

Check out some of the links I posted. These are wonderful machines.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Once the bad guy shoots one out...
View Quote

You don't put the light where bubba can shoot it.
You put it in a concrete casing on the ground pointing up to a steel mirror.
He shoots holes in the steel sheet.
The light goes out when you want it to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Also, these things run for 10,000+ hrs with routine scheduled maintenance, they efficiently sip fuel for the power they generate.

I primarily use ours to supplement the solar panels when we're running heavier than usual loads or the sun ain't shining too good.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well in that case I stand corrected. I've always wanted a bigger one like that for our home but fuel storage is an issue for me so my plan has always been to load shed down to the essentials and a little bit extra to make the push for as much run time as I can get.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once the bad guy shoots one out...

That would need to be a LARGE reflective sheet of steel considering the light tower lights are very broadly un-focused.

Bouncing the light off the side of your house would be a lot more effective.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been looking for a reasonably priced one out here for a while.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn now I want more stuff
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]
DRMO aka www.govliquidation.com usually has them, do a search for military installations in your AO to possibly find some for sale at cut rate gov discount.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Everybody wants to harden their BOL or BIP, the 4 high pressure sodium 1 kw lights each on these can be mounted on the 4 corners of your bunker and turn night into day.
View Quote

The tower itself could also come in very handy for ham antennas - VHF/UHF for local simplex or repeaters, or as a center support for an HF antenna.

If you wanted to get tricky with a matching network, you could probably even use the tower itself as a HF vertical antenna.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Ski and AJ, et al,

I have a 'harmonic' or something on the L-T's generator when it's loaded with abt 500 watts Vs max of 6000.

It looks on a scope like a 'negative' going 'impulse of ~10 volts on the rising sinewave, and v.v. on the negative going sinewave half.

The lights on the tower have a lot of caps on their respective independent ballasts and when one of them is switched on, the 'glitch' pretty much goes away.

However, adding loads externally doesn't seem to make much difference.

I can hear the 'glitch' under some loading on an Icom R100 receiver as a hum when it's powered with a transformer wall wart, and not with a switcher.

Do you think adding some series inductance in the AC line would help?

ETA I bring 240 balanced into the barn and feed it to an Outback transformer and convert it to 120. RMS voltage readings are correct.

Maybe making some sort of mod to the value of the field capacitors for light loading?

[I DON'T care abt 'wet stacking' before anyone extraneously  brings it up...]  

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#18]
How much fuel does it use?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ski and AJ, et al,

I have a 'harmonic' or something on the L-T's generator when it's loaded with abt 500 watts Vs max of 6000.

It looks on a scope like a 'negative' going 'impulse of ~10 volts on the rising sinewave, and v.v. on the negative going sinewave half.

The lights on the tower have a lot of caps on their respective independent ballasts and when one of them is switched on, the 'glitch' pretty much goes away.

I can hear the 'glitch' under some loading on an Icom R100 receiver as a hum when it's powered with a transformer wall wart, and not with a switcher.

ETA I bring 240 balanced into the barn and feed it to an Outback transformer and convert it to 120. RMS voltage readings are correct.

Maybe making some sort of mod to the value of the field capacitors for light loading?

View Quote

Does this generator have a pair of slip rings for the brushes, or a commutator (with segmented contacts)?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does this generator have a pair of slip rings for the brushes, or a commutator (with segmented contacts)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ski and AJ, et al,

This is a modern one and uses a separate winding[s] to couple field excitation to the rotor...

Stator has a winding with two parallel caps and the rotor has 4 windings with 1 diode per pair of windings.

[Good idea abt using the erection asm for a support for an antenna. Also can be used for a PTZ cam for over watch]

Wacker LTC4 Cat engine

Pg 49 or 53

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#21]
So you're in Lansing, MI?

Hi neighbor!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Would probably be easier add a little bit of capacitance in parallel with the AC line instead. Unlike a series-connected inductor, a parallel-connected cap doesn't have to carry the generator's full rated current.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hi neighbor!
View Quote

Hi...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Would probably be easier add a little bit of capacitance in parallel with the AC line instead. Unlike a series-connected inductor, a parallel-connected cap doesn't have to carry the generator's full rated current.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But wouldn't the cap draw significant current? For a large enough cap to make any difference?

How are they hooked up on telephone poles to correct power factor?

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Typically, caps are connected across distribution lines - i.e., in parallel with them.

It doesn't take much capacitance.

Your "glitch" is much higher in frequency than the AC line frequency - which means that any given cap size will have a much stronger effect on the glitch than on the overall AC waveform.

Suggestion: Start with a small amount of capacitance, and work your way up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Will do...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Typical cap value for an AC line filter is 0.1 uF.

That would probably be a good starting point.

Pick a cap with a generous working voltage. It should be AC rated, particularly if you end up using more capacitance.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hi...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi neighbor!

Hi...

Did you fall victim to last winter's power outage? It missed my by about a block and a half.

This generator thread is best generator thread.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

general troubleshooting manual:
http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/shtf/generator_fault_finding_manual_8.pdf

that said, the short of "partial load" harmonic distortion you are seeing could in fact be related to one of the rotating diodes.
because of the AVR system, small imbalances within the feedback loop result in larger effects on the primary winding.

because the genset was used for a lighting application, it may have had a day one issue but no one ever noticed a partial load problem.
the lights are either on (and consuming 4KW or so) or they are off.

on the other hand i'm not even sure a ~10V noise spike is even something you need to worry about.

btw is there a varistor in the AVR circuit?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#30]

incidentally, has the unit been "repaired" before?
oftentimes the AVR caps will be different from each other, or a slightly incorrect value if that's all the shop had on the shelf.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#31]
How quiet are these light tower generators compared to a similarly sized conventional gas or diesel generator?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Pretty quiet... Compared to the high frequency clanging and banging racket of a one cylinder 6 kw genny running at half load...

Thanks for the suggestions Ski and A-J, I'll get some parts together to try...

The genny was new when I got it at an equipment auction. Never worked on...

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Just looking at Craigslist this morning, several 10 year old units, 3,500 hours use on them, starting at $3,500 for essentially a 6KW generator which equals 50 amps at 120v.

You can buy a new Yamaha 5500 watt inverter generator for $3,600.

I guess if you can hunt around and find a deal, but you'd still have to mod it for whatever you're tying into.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just looking at Craigslist this morning, several 10 year old units, 3,500 hours use on them, starting at $3,500 for essentially a 6KW generator which equals 50 amps at 120v.

You can buy a new Yamaha 5500 watt inverter generator for $3,600.

I guess if you can hunt around and find a deal, but you'd still have to mod it for whatever you're tying into.

View Quote

$3500 ASKING? Is that the going price? If so, why? If not- what is the actual price you can negotiate/buy these for on C-L?

What mod's are you referring to?

Also, gas vs diesel... I want diesel for fuel storage.

3 cylinders vs one?  Commercial/industrial engine? Parts everywhere...

Hours expected life? Not for someone in an apt or small lot, likely... But perfect for others...

Robustness? The LTC4 weighs ~2000 pounds. On its wheels...

Yamaha makes NICE gennys for lots of applications. I use Hondas because I got started w/ them before Yamahas got popular.

Have a Honda EU 6000 water cooled genny from way back, and a Honda EU3000i, toys compared to a Cat or Kubota engine. But still, with VERY important applications for me.

Can't put a light tower on the tongue of your trailer like you can a Honda EU3000...  

Apples and oranges depending what your need that day.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The tower itself could also come in very handy for ham antennas - VHF/UHF for local simplex or repeaters, or as a center support for an HF antenna.

If you wanted to get tricky with a matching network, you could probably even use the tower itself as a HF vertical antenna.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny you mention antennas. Last month I had to rent a light tower for work. It had a 3 cylinder Kubota, and was rated for 6000 watts. It had a regular duplex outlet, and an L14-30. It would run the sodiums for fifty hours on a tank of diesel, and I think it had a 30 gallon tank.

Once I figured out how to run the thing, I was marveling at how great the extendable tower would be for a portable repeater antenna

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone pursue a light tower?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#37]
No

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No  
View Quote

Well why not?  

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#39]
What's the smallest diesel genny that puts out a 1000 or so watts of 110vac?

Preferably with standby/auto start functions...

Is there even such an animal?

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What's the smallest diesel genny that puts out a 1000 or so watts of 110vac?

Preferably with standby/auto start functions...

Is there even such an animal?

View Quote

small diesel engines (1KW = roughly 2HP) are almost non-existent because they are simply not competitive with gas engines in terms of cost and weight.

see
http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Slow-Turning-Yanmar-5kW-Diesel-Generator.asp?page=yanmar_4kw

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've been looking for a reasonably priced one out here for a while.
View Quote

I have one I got from govlliquidation auction.  I bought it for the light tower mainly.  Took tower off and mounted it too my ham trailer.  The kubota engine runs great, 7000 watt generator.
I picked it up down at ft huachica.  Very few hours on the hour meter.  Let me know if your interested.  Got arizona title on it and lifetime tags.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's funny you mention antennas. Last month I had to rent a light tower for work. It had a 3 cylinder Kubota, and was rated for 6000 watts. It had a regular duplex outlet, and an L14-30. It would run the sodiums for fifty hours on a tank of diesel, and I think it had a 30 gallon tank.

Once I figured out how to run the thing, I was marveling at how great the extendable tower would be for a portable repeater antenna [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/

I bought mine for the tower.  Works great on my ham trailer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once I figured out how to run the thing, I was marveling at how great the extendable tower would be for a portable repeater antenna [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/

I bought mine for the tower.  Works great on my ham trailer.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's another w/ off-grid value.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Reminder to keep eyes open for cheap light towers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top