Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Prolly got it fixed and the mechanics had it cruising the trails last weekend and wrecked it.

Now they are trying to put it together again!

Might you cruise over there in the rental and see if it's still in one piece and ask them for some DETAILS of what they found, did and are doing and what they knew and when they knew it?

ETA, leave your wallet at home and don't talk to sleezy looking salesmen...  You ain't out of the Temptation Woods yet...

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prolly got it fixed and the mechanics had it cruising the trails last weekend and wrecked it.

Might you cruise over there in the rental and see if it's still in one piece and ask them for some DETAILS of what they found, did and are doing and what they knew and when they knew it?

ETA, leave your wallet at home and don't talk to sleezy looking salesmen...  You ain't out of the Temptation Woods yet...

View Quote

I stopped in a few times after I first dropped it off and it didn't seem to move from the parking space I left it in.  I questioned when it was going to get fixed and that's when they gave me the rental car.
They supposedly replaced the main shaft, bearings, and syncros for 3rd and 4th.  When they test drove it they said it still ground going into third gear so they were going to have to replace 3rd gear as well.  What the fuck I don't understand and is beyond me is why they didn't just replace the whole thing?  Maybe they are that expensive from the factory they wont authorize it under warranty?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I stopped in a few times after I first dropped it off and it didn't seem to move from the parking space I left it in.  I questioned when it was going to get fixed and that's when they gave me the rental car.
They supposedly replaced the main shaft, bearings, and syncros for 3rd and 4th.  When they test drove it they said it still ground going into third gear so they were going to have to replace 3rd gear as well.  What the fuck I don't understand and is beyond me is why they didn't just replace the whole thing?  Maybe they are that expensive from the factory they wont authorize it under warranty?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't sound right. If the bearings/gears/synch's are bad, it should be obvious to a CASUAL observer.

Sounds more like they haven't gotten to it yet...

Did you record the speedo when you took it in, maybe do it now, it's might not be too late...

Tell them you need to get something out of it....  Then check that battery you've 'been having trouble' with.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#5]
We always buy used but no more than 5 years old. We never buy the first year of a car....too many bugs to work out. I wish we always bought American cars but we have no faith in them once every American car we have owned hit 100k there were nothing but problems. One right after another.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Derrick, what happened at the dealer.

Some of us have some time invested helping you and are curious!

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
The problem is the jeep.
Jeep=POS
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#8]
being debt free is the best tool a prepper has.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry about that, I just got back from a hunting trip in CO.

I have it back now, they rebuilt the tranny again.  New bearings, main shaft, synchronizers and a third gear according to what they told me.  Shifts good now so hopefully the thing will last.  I still have 60k miles under warranty so I am going to hang onto it for now.  Been looking for another beater truck but haven't found anything decent in my price range.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have it back now, they rebuilt the tranny again.  New bearings, main shaft, synchronizers and a third gear according to what they told me.  Shifts good now so hopefully the thing will last.  I still have 60k miles under warranty so I am going to hang onto it for now.  Been looking for another beater truck but haven't found anything decent in my price range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good!

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I must admit I'd be looking around for a used 4Runner. . . . . too many Jeep stories like yours.  Sad.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]
this is an absolutely awesome deal http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4713223023.html
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#13]
fwiw.

my mechanic told me that the mitsubishi based jeep platform has a lot of problems. he sees a fair number of them.

he claims he almost never sees a hyundai or a kia as they rarely have problems.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

fwiw.

my mechanic told me that the mitsubishi based jeep platform has a lot of problems. he sees a fair number of them.

he claims he almost never sees a hyundai or a kia as they rarely have problems.
View Quote

I just got rid of a Kia. It ran 10 years and 110,000 miles with no problems except a front axle that was covered under warranty. It did chew through tires and brake rotors though. I bought it new and the price was cheaper than many used cars from other companies, but the resale value really sucks on them. It was coming due on spark plugs (not a simple change), timing belt, and a couple other repairs so I sold it. It was no longer worth the cost of the repairs.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Update:

I figured I would post this so if any one else searching similar topics would actually get a conclusion.

So shortly after that second rebuild third gear developed a slight vibration in third gear, which could only be felt through the shifting lever.  I brought it back the stealership and they said that it already has a new third gear and there isn't much more they can do.
I might have been born at night but it wasn't last night...  Fast forward a month or so and the vibration is still there, intermittent, sometimes bad, sometimes not at all.  It was only felt as feedback through the shifter.  I was very frustrated with the whole situation so I started a warranty case/ customer service claim through Jeep/Chrysler.  They said to make another appointment which I did.  Jeep goes back in, I take two different mechanics for a ride and they both confirm the issue, but are bewildered to the fact it can only be felt intermit and when you rest your hand on the shifter...  I was glad they acknowledged the fact it was doing it.  They said they had to contact Chrysler to see what they could do about it.  I asked if they could just replace the whole transmission and they said Chrysler would probably not authorize it.  I re-contact my warranty case worker and he says they need to look at it again for a more in depth diagnosis.  At that point I became even more frustrated, knowing this transmission is having issues and things are not right.  It was rebuilt twice and I am still having issues, however minor I believe they will become major with time.  So as the warranty case worker states I make another appointment two weeks out for further diagnosis.  During those two weeks prior to my appointment third gear goes away!

Case worker was advised along with the service manager at the dealership.  I tell both I have a sneaky suspicion that the third time is not going to be a charm and the transmission needs to be completely replaced.
Fast forward to the second diagnosis (third gear no longer exists) and the service manager says they will probably need it for another week or two to get the transmission torn down, order new parts and rebuild it again.
My fuse was non existent at that point and just about have a melt down.  I told them I am not going without a vehicle for two weeks and this transmission needs to be replaced which should take no longer then a day.  Service manager says if Chrysler authorizes it they will replace it.  I told them the warranty case worker said they are going to do whatever necessary to fix this problem once and for all.  I told them IMO that was a whole new tranny, no more poor rebuild games.

Fast forward to my appointment a week later and the transmission is replaced, I am provided with an extended full warranty, service plan, road side assistance, and a bunch of extra stuff for 6 years 85K miles.  Which should last for ~3 more years.  If my wife's Jeep (exact same just two years newer) requires any warranty work what so ever I get it for that Jeep also.

Three Cherokees (XJ), Two Wranglers (TJ), and one Grand (ZJ) none with less then 100K and most close to 200K and no issues that weren't self inflicted. I reiterated that fact many times and when vocal about the situation through several different avenues it was finally fixed, the way I wanted it fixed to begin with.

In the end, mechanic said that jeep has been having problems with bearing quality but they specifically haven't seem any issues because they are a small dealership.  My guess is the bearings really were bad the first time, then replaced with ether more bad bearings or bad quality control on the rebuild.  It took me forever for them to get it in with the second bad bearing go around and I think metal flakes were then swimming around the tranny compounding other problems.  Second rebuild missed some parts, or other parts were adversely affected from issues.  Swapping one gear and not them all lead to a wear/ meshing issue which caused the feed back and vibration.  To me that was not acceptable.  I wanted it to be smooth new which in the end I finally got.

As far as the service plan, extra blah-blah-blah, they probably gave me what they are authorized to give any one in a similar situation  and overall I am satisfied.  I hear horror story's of every brand and truth of the matter is quality and service from mainstream dealerships and manufacturers is not what it once was across the board.  

Unfortunately I live in the rust belt and vehicles 10 years old that are driven during winter are almost no good.  Frames rot, lines rot, floors get holes in them etc.  It is what it is I guess.  I have a good job, nice home, and am very happy where I am so moving because of rust isn't an option!  I have been a hard core Jeep owner for many years and this is the worst issue I have had.  In the end it was fixed and all is good.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Then instead of getting another truck/ car I went and bought a 2003 KLR BOBike/ dirt road recon rig:

DOH!

50MPG a few days per week to and from work during the summer

A few mechanical upgrade/ upkeep items, removal of stickers and its good to go.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Then instead of getting another truck/ car I went and bought a 2003 KLR BOBike/ dirt road recon rig:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/KLR/WP_20141118_006_zps04f2e247.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/KLR/WP_20141118_004_zps705dd6a6.jpg

DOH!

View Quote
I say this to everyone I see on a bike: Everybody I know, and I mean EVERYBODY I KNOW that has ridden bikes on the road has either crashed and narrowly escaped death/gotten beat up bad or has died.

Dirt bikes are OK in my book if you aren't crazy, but bikes of any sort are death machines on the road.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I say this to everyone I see on a bike: Everybody I know, and I mean EVERYBODY I KNOW that has ridden bikes on the road has either crashed and narrowly escaped death/gotten beat up bad or has died.  

Dirt bikes are OK in my book if you aren't crazy, but bikes of any sort are death machines on the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/KLR/WP_20141118_006_zps04f2e247.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/KLR/WP_20141118_004_zps705dd6a6.jpg

DOH!

Grew up riding/ racing motocross and snocross.  This is street legal bike #6 for me and my work number is 911.  I am well aware of the danger.  Almost been down/ crashed into two or three times which were very close calls... One of which was my fault.  Not driving like an idiot increases your survival chances 10 fold...  & I have driven like an idiot more then I would like to admit

Our state is pretty restrictive in the realm of OHV/ ATV...  This is one way to explore and be legal off the beaten path on seasonal roads, which is my primary use.  With three decades under my belt my days of carelessly hot rodding things are pretty much behind me.  I really enjoy riding dual sports so that's what I do  And ATVs, and snowmobiles...  That pretty much makes me a motor head survivalist who enjoys bushcraft I think?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad you have it under control.

Both people I know that died basically could not have done anything (except not be on a bike). First one had a hog run out in front of him at night. By the time he saw it, it was too late (says the others riding with him). The other, a car didn't see him and pulled out. No time to react.

Stay safe. I just hate those things on the road.

Quads and snowmobiles off-raod, sign me up
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top