Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2014 3:24:54 PM EDT
I'm planning on getting cameras put into my home but also want some trail cameras for the surrounding woods.
There are tons of trail cameras.
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
We use trail cams for work and they eat the crap out of batteries.  Good luck funding that diet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We use trail cams for work and they eat the crap out of batteries.  Good luck funding that diet.
View Quote

The cameras that use C or D cells can get expensive to feed, because NiMH rechargeable batteries and chargers in those sizes are uncommon and expensive.

OTOH, if you get a camera that uses AA batteries, powering it with NiMH cells is cheap and easy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
First and foremost, look for a camera with a fast trigger speed.  I got some great pictures of bare woods or the ass end of a deer using lower cost cameras with a slow trigger.
Next, understand that the lower cost cameras (around 100 bucks or even less?) are probably just throwaways that may get you through one season.  I base this on my personal experience.

I currently use Cuddeback and Reconyx.  3 years and still functioning and battery life is excellent.  Neither is cheap especially the Reconyx but as usual you get what you pay for.

These things have been constantly improved over the years so my reliability issues with el cheapos may no longer be valid.  I just know I will never go there again.

Hope this helps.  I've been where you are.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
any way to hook up a plug to them?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Primos 35 is my go to camera. Good battery life, good pics even in night mode. Stupid simple to work.

Around $100. And I have used them for about 3 years. Great cameras.

Also no flash at night. It uses red LED so much less detectable.

Uses 8 AA but get rechargeable ones and your good to go. Mine will do a few thousand pics on fresh batteries as long  as most of them are during the day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a great deal on a Bushnell Trophy last year, I accidentally put it on time lapse and it took almost 4,00 pics before I checked it, funny thing is it still has the same batteries in it and was out all last winter.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Examples of Reconx and Tasco here...

Examples

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there a trail cam with a remotely activated trigger?

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did some research on this a little while ago. There are some that will automatically send pics to you using cell phone or wifi signal. And some can be set to take pics at predetermined time frames... Minutes, hours, and possibly days.

But I couldn't find any that would give you the type of control where you could control them remotely.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used them on and off for the last decade...

Trail cams are one item in which there is a definite price point you want to be over.  You can get cheapo $50 trail cams.  My Dad has bought be some for gifts, trying to be thoughtful.  Most have sucked terribly.  Low battery life and a very very slow trigger response time mean you get almost no useable pics..  These were budget Tascos and Bushnells.  After playing extensively with these for an entire season, I finally gave up and tossed both in the trash.

I've bought a Moultrie and a Wild Game Innovations model.  I cannot remember which specific ones.  In both cases they were $110-125 units.  They take decent pics.  

Some units have various 'black flash' nighttime illumination.  These are not visible.  If they do not have some form of black flash, there will be a low level reddish glow from the unit when triggered at night.  Humans will know, and will likely remove the unit if its being used for security.

Fro
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]
whats the longest detection range of most cams?   I need one for about 75 feet but not sure they are made, or how expensive they would be.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Moultrie, I think it's the M-880
Moultrie M-880

For $120, I'm really happy with it.  8 AA batteries last for several months.  Daytime pictures are usually excellent; night time photos are legible, but black/white.  

I've had a lot of Coyotes around my house lately, some look like wolves.  Prior to these cameras, I'd never know what was lurking in my woods:

night pictures are not as good, but still able to make out the shot:
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I did some research on this a little while ago. There are some that will automatically send pics to you using cell phone or wifi signal. And some can be set to take pics at predetermined time frames... Minutes, hours, and possibly days.

But I couldn't find any that would give you the type of control where you could control them remotely.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recently posted about inventing a means to trigger the IR sensor of any IR triggered device, remotely and non-invasively [that may have commercial value] and asked if anyone had any ideas how they thought it could be done.

There were no takers...

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
any way to hook up a plug to them?
View Quote

what about these?
do the keep them charged?

SEE HERE
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've used them on and off for the last decade...

Trail cams are one item in which there is a definite price point you want to be over.  You can get cheapo $50 trail cams.  My Dad has bought be some for gifts, trying to be thoughtful.  Most have sucked terribly.  Low battery life and a very very slow trigger response time mean you get almost no useable pics..  These were budget Tascos and Bushnells.  After playing extensively with these for an entire season, I finally gave up and tossed both in the trash.

I've bought a Moultrie and a Wild Game Innovations model.  I cannot remember which specific ones.  In both cases they were $110-125 units.  They take decent pics.  

Some units have various 'black flash' nighttime illumination.  These are not visible.  If they do not have some form of black flash, there will be a low level reddish glow from the unit when triggered at night.  Humans will know, and will likely remove the unit if its being used for security.

Fro
View Quote

There are a couple of ones that are designed to send pics to a remote storage unit. I believe it was up to 500' away and would support multiple cameras. So it could be used to collect pics and even if the camera was stolen the pics would still be stored seperately.

Hunters use the system so they don't have to walk into an area and disturb it or spook deer. Looked like a really good option for monitoring areas where theft is a concern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top