User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought 4 little put put generators from govliquidation.com. I am referbing them and converting to natural gas/ propane/ gasoline.

refilling kero next month for the back up kero heaters.
looking for a vented natural gas fire place, or possibly a wood stove but my home is not  an "open floor plan" at all. It is a long ranch with closed off rooms. any suggestions there?

I use natural gas furnace, with generator backup.
kerosene heaters, backup
propane "buddy type" heaters for tertiary back up, or mobile use.

also stocking up on food, and i want to have the permanent rocket stove in the backyard built by mid November. that is a back up to the natural gas stove, propane/natural gas smoker, and camp stoves.
View Quote

Any pix???

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I always get a cold in the fall on top of my ragweed allergies.

I have a new job that requires mandatory attendance during the first 60 days probationary period. So trying to medicate enough to not miss work, and preparing the homestead for winter is quite a chore!

On my list:

Cut three dead trees for firewood.
Mow the pasture one last time.
Clean garage to fit two vehicles.
Upgrade lighting and electrical wiring in garage.
Spray for weeds / insects.
Tune up the Farmall 400, and 7' snowblower.
Fill up the gas cans and treat the fuel.
Replace two CaRb gas cans with new metal cans.
Put snow tires on all vehicles.
Fix up dedicated winter camping van for work.

I work many miles from home, and this winter will likely get snowed in at work in ND. I need a van with camping / sleeping accommodations in back so I can camp out in the parking lot at work a couple sub-zero nights in an emergency.  Thankfully the employer provides electrical outlets every 30ft in the parking lot!

It will be a rough winter if I don't get all these preps done!
View Quote

Could you keep a small trailer there instead?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Stopped by the grocery store today and stocked up on canned tomatoes and corn (I make this fab soup that is just a can each of black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes - filling, cheap, and very easy), pasta, and the like. I even got some bottled of OJ from the juice aisle, as I'll have juice on hand. Got 2 UHT packages of almond milk (for cereal and tea). More canned soup (the don't add water type). This is stuff I'll eat anyway.

I need to take my winter coat to the cleaners. It's a wool dress coat and I really need to get one of the 3-1 jackets. I need a new pair of boots as mine bit the dust last winter. Also need another pair or two of long underwear
View Quote

Marie, IIRC you were considering a heat source for your apt.

Have you considered a real kero heater with a modest BTU output. It would be easy to store fuel for it. There are a few with outputs in the 8000 BTU range and they are rather compact.

If interested, ask.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
M4nut said:

"The chickens don't know that for some of em, their layin' days are numbered....but the good news is that they have earned a spot in the slow cooker and smoker."

Sound like the future of the Sheeple here in the USA!

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Have you considered a real kero heater with a modest BTU output. It would be easy to store fuel for it. There are a few with outputs in the 8000 BTU range and they are rather compact.

If interested, ask.

View Quote

I've not done anything more about a heat source. Yes, please, give me your suggestions and I'll look into them. Storing the fuel would be the issue. I have no outdoor patio/balcony I could store the fuel on, and I'm wary about storing it inside my (locked) storage closet in hall, right outside my unit door.

ETA: My new winter jacket arrived today. I got one of the 3-in-1 jackets, a Columbia, from the REI outlet online. 50% off.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've not done anything more about a heat source. Yes, please, give me your suggestions and I'll look into them. Storing the fuel would be the issue. I have no outdoor patio/balcony I could store the fuel on, and I'm wary about storing it inside my (locked) storage closet in hall, right outside my unit door.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If interested, ask.

Kerosene is very safe to store. It has a flash point of 145° before vapors will burn like gasoline. The hot water in your home is not likely that hot. You could keep two 5 gallon cans with no worries.

A 20 lb propane tank has very high pressure inside. If the safety valve vents when the tank is inside a building and there is an ignition source it could level a large house. Huge explosive potential with the right fuel/air mixture.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA: My new winter jacket arrived today. I got one of the 3-in-1 jackets, a Columbia, from the REI outlet online. 50% off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If interested, ask.

A few...

Kero Sun Omni 15

Kero Sun Moonlighter, essentially the same thing as the 15 but with a nice glass chimney ---to break at the worst possible time, otherwise interchangeable parts.

Allidin has some low output kero sipping heaters, search ebay.

I have the KeroSun 15's, Moonlighters, Aladdins, etc, all bought on ebay, very selectively, with mostly good success, usually during the off-season. Not too late -yet as most folks still have their fingers up where the sun don't shine...

Personally, I'd go with the Omni 15. Stay with OEM , NOT after-market wicks, avail on ebay.

Assorted Kero-Sun heaters

Google pix KeroSun

Message me if you need private help picking a nice one out on ebay.

One just sold there for $54, a nice one ---an incredible steal!!!!

ebay

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Batman is correct, there is very little hazard storing some kero over the winter months. Ask for ways to so it with extreme safety, if interested.

Propane, no way in a complex except under extreme urgency.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Kerosene is very safe to store. It has a flash point of 145° before vapors will burn like gasoline. The hot water in your home is not likely that hot. You could keep two 5 gallon cans with no worries.

A 20 lb propane tank has very high pressure inside. If the safety valve vents when the tank is inside a building and there is an ignition source it could level a large house. Huge explosive potential with the right fuel/air mixture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If interested, ask.

Pretty much, yes. If you think about it, kerosene is as dangerous as the bottle of vegetable oil in your kitchen. For most practical purposes, it will not burn unless you have a wick. Having used natural gas most of my life both for cooking and heating, I feel much safer storing kero than gas. Every now and then a house blows up because of a small gas leak that piled up little by little.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Omni 15 manual...

Omni 15

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I am learning about our 1926 perfection heater.  If you light it all the way up and walk away it smokes from its flame being too high. You have to back it down a tiny bit. Burns sweet!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Wood has been top priority lately. Added on to woodshed:

And have it about filled.

Also picked up some slab bundles for $10 a piece from some nearby Amish.

Got 6 of those, for the sauna, hot tub, and kindling. At that price for can't cut and split my own cheap enough!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wood has been top priority lately. Added on to woodshed:
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/loon_138/IMG_20141007_185247099_zps295518a3.jpg

And have it about filled.
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/loon_138/IMG_20141007_185017706_zpsb2403f7d.jpg

Also picked up some slab bundles for $10 a piece from some nearby Amish.
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/loon_138/IMG_20141007_185030026_zpscba795cc.jpg

Got 6 of those, for the sauna, hot tub, and kindling. At that price for can't cut and split my own cheap enough!
View Quote

$10 bucks a bundle is dirt cheap.
The cheapest wood up here was offered as $200 a cord, green, which means I'd have to have bought it in the spring to burn this season.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top