BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I made her a GHB and she keeps using everything in it.
View Quote

What's wrong with that? I keep using the stuff in my GHB and first aid kit, that's why I have it.

To the OP:
She probably has the same issue I have with many of you. Practicality. Getting her to prepare for some catastrophic end of the world scenario isn't  going to happen, because that just isn't likely to happen. HOWEVER, things like hurricanes, tornadoes, job loss, blizzards, riots, etc. happen ALL THE TIME. I don't know what sort of "prepping" you're doing, but if you sell it as hurricane preparedness or something like that, there's a good chance she'll get on board with it. If she's skeptical about that, dump her. Seriously, if she can't see the value in preparing for disasters that affect many people every year in this country, dump her for someone smarter.
What I did to get my wife "on board" was asking her "What would we do?" while watching the news. During those conversations you can inject "Well, if we had a (whatever prep you want next) we'd be better off in that situation."
After hurricane Sandy, we were comfortable and well fed, because I had made a Walmart run about a week prior when the tracks started looking like it was coming our direction. Watching the news later, it was kind of a shock to see people in the same economic and living situation as us out in the street bumming MRE's off the National Guard, crying about why doesn't the government help me, fighting in Home Depot for the last pack of batteries, etc. We were in the dark too, but we had 50+ spare batteries, a tub full of water, cases of bottled water, two cars full of gas, and a pile of food. That's when we both realized that the prepping thing was a really good idea.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you need to agree with your (prospective) SO on the major things: religion, politics, sex, money, and children.  

In a short span of time, my baby-momma went from telling a U.S. Marshal that she was uncomfortable with him carrying a weapon (on duty), to asking me, "I know you have enough guns, but do you have enough ammo?"  Hurricane Katrina did that for me.  Thanks, Superdome!  

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
What about reality. Hurricanes, tornadoes, storms, blackouts.

All these things have happened in the recent year. What about ferguson. Show her the Memphis riots or Florida thug thread.

The recent history of Argentina, the rationing of food in Venezuela, Greeks eating out of the trash can. Tsunami's.

The water emergency in Toledo. I could go on and on. There are plenty of things happening now in real life.

There have been threads here and in other prepping survival forums where people have been prepared for a disaster that really happened. It can be a financial disaster as well.

Maybe I can find some links.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What's wrong with that?I keep using the stuff in my GHB and first aid kit, that's why I have it.

To the OP:

She probably has the same issue I have with many of you. Practicality. Getting her to prepare for some catastrophic end of the world scenario isn't going to happen, because that just isn't likely to happen. HOWEVER, things like hurricanes, tornadoes, job loss, blizzards, riots, etc. happen ALL THE TIME. I don't know what sort of "prepping" you're doing, but if you sell it as hurricane preparedness or something like that, there's a good chance she'll get on board with it. If she's skeptical about that, dump her. Seriously, if she can't see the value in preparing for disasters that affect many people every year in this country, dump her for someone smarter.

What I did to get my wife "on board" was asking her "What would we do?" while watching the news. During those conversations you can inject "Well, if we had a (whatever prep you want next) we'd be better off in that situation."

After hurricane Sandy, we were comfortable and well fed, because I had made a Walmart run about a week prior when the tracks started looking like it was coming our direction. Watching the news later, it was kind of a shock to see people in the same economic and living situation as us out in the street bumming MRE's off the National Guard, crying about why doesn't the government help me, fighting in Home Depot for the last pack of batteries, etc. We were in the dark too, but we had 50+ spare batteries, a tub full of water, cases of bottled water, two cars full of gas, and a pile of food. That's when we both realized that the prepping thing was a really good idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I made her a GHB and she keeps using everything in it.

What's wrong with that?I keep using the stuff in my GHB and first aid kit, that's why I have it.

To the OP:

She probably has the same issue I have with many of you. Practicality. Getting her to prepare for some catastrophic end of the world scenario isn't going to happen, because that just isn't likely to happen. HOWEVER, things like hurricanes, tornadoes, job loss, blizzards, riots, etc. happen ALL THE TIME. I don't know what sort of "prepping" you're doing, but if you sell it as hurricane preparedness or something like that, there's a good chance she'll get on board with it. If she's skeptical about that, dump her. Seriously, if she can't see the value in preparing for disasters that affect many people every year in this country, dump her for someone smarter.

exactly!!! If you aren't going into your go bag, then it probably isn't going to be useful in an emergency. Just remember to restock.

BOB's are supposed to have things for daily comfort in them. You don't need an "everyday" bag and a separate "bob".   Just an everday bag, and another one with larger less used items, like a tarp, little stove, whatever.

If you discourage your wife from using it, you are essentially discouraging her to be prepared, and defeating your purpose of instilling a prepper mindset.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You're going to have to relate it to the realities of your lives and your area
If you don't live in Tornado Alley, using tornado prep as a justification isn't going to work.
My ex couldn't comprehend a scenario where the local Wegmans would ever be closed for more than a single day, and thought I was nuts for suggesting it might happen
No book is going to change such a womans mind
Women strive for comfort and routines, safety and normalcy.
You are suggesting stuff that in her mind threatens that normalcy.
She doesn't see it as you striving to prepare to give some degree of normalcy in bad times.
Women like that are hoping that they never have to deal with anything approaching that level of personal disruption.
In their minds there are enough other things that are more likely to happen that you should be spending time and money on than something that's very unlikely to happen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Eject while you can and I'm not being GD funny. I got married before I got into SF type stuff and now it's like pulling teeth to get her to think prepared. I made her a GHB and she keeps using everything in it.
View Quote

Think positive
The bag has stuff she actually uses, and its contents are getting rotated
Just check it often and some day she might thank you for it being there
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The Journal:  Cracked Earth.  A women writing a journal about life after a few earth quakes and her preps.  Not your typical Lights Out or OSA they may be too much to start out with.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Mathew Bracken....the man is a prophet.

His Trilogy does not read like prepper novels, but it is.

The books all have a strong female lead in them.

If you have not read them.....read them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Just an update to anyone who subscribed.  

Had a heart to heart talk with the misses and related prepping to hurricane preparedness and so far shes been on board.  Thanks to all for the advice and I'm glad shes on board so I didn't have to eject.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Success!

On the risk continuum, a hurricane is near the top.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a lot of stuff out there that is quite frankly, not that good; "One Second After" is not of that ilk.

If ever there is a book that on it's own, stands as a well written book, without the heavy gear breakdowns or "how to kill a bear with a ringbook binder" diatribes,
OSA is it.

If that is not your first choice for her, some other book will be her last, due to it simply not being that good.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#12]
For my wife it was incident that happened that finally realized hey its a good idea. It was anything in the news, it was bills and a paycheck. Early on in our relationship my wife (then girlfriend) would always yell at me for buying extra canned food (even on our limited budget).` Id ignore it until we had a bunch of bills that perfectly lined up in a row and all we had was enough money for gas for work. She then realized what I was doing. She didn't want to admit she was wrong but understood what I did and why I did it. With couponing she understands the extra increase in goods and is grateful for it

In fact This paycheck we had to eat through some our preps. Nothing significant. We even prepared for this smaller paycheck and plans can fail. Although it's because this little incident of me looking into getting a tortilla press so I can do the work myself. Kids enjoyed my square tortilla for our bean and cheese burritos. And its another way I can save money in the long run

So next good paycheck, I will buy what we lost and then some.(better get some water containers too)

Its because of simple stuff like this makes it easier to explain prepping. Its incidents in the news to explain more specialized prepping
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Think positive
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eject while you can and I'm not being GD funny. I got married before I got into SF type stuff and now it's like pulling teeth to get her to think prepared. I made her a GHB and she keeps using everything in it.

Think positive

That's the issue. There is no restocking. She broke into our bleach stock pile and didnt even tell me. I don't have time to constantly go behind her and play twenty questions about what she used. Then the flip side of the coin is she's always complaining she's out of somthing like its my problem to fix. She's cold at work, shoelace broke, raining and forgot umbrella,  construction at work is giving her a migrane. There is atleast two items per problem In her bag.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Something to look at before entering a relationship, does the male or female have an affectation to talk like there's a sock stuffed in their sinuses and a clothespin on their nose?

Usually ending a sentence with a upward inflection.

Then consider finding sumbuddy else, IMO that is danger signal they'll never take prepping [and generally lack a seriousness of purpose] and a possible signal to eject.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Since I didn't see Aftermath mentioned, I'd toss that one into the mix, but probably not as the first book. Lucifer's Hammer and Alas, Babylon would make better first books.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That's the issue. There is no restocking. She broke into our bleach stock pile and didnt even tell me. I don't have time to constantly go behind her and play twenty questions about what she used. Then the flip side of the coin is she's always complaining she's out of somthing like its my problem to fix. She's cold at work, shoelace broke, raining and forgot umbrella, construction at work is giving her a migrane. There is atleast two items per problem In her bag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think positive

That's the issue. There is no restocking. She broke into our bleach stock pile and didnt even tell me. I don't have time to constantly go behind her and play twenty questions about what she used. Then the flip side of the coin is she's always complaining she's out of somthing like its my problem to fix. She's cold at work, shoelace broke, raining and forgot umbrella, construction at work is giving her a migrane. There is atleast two items per problem In her bag.

Your problem has nothing to do with "prepping". It sounds like you married a child. Several of my coworkers are like that. They couldn't survive without someone to take care of them.

Of course you make your choice of partners based on certain qualities. It's not really her fault you chose her. For some reason you like dumb women.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's the issue. There is no restocking. She broke into our bleach stock pile and didnt even tell me. I don't have time to constantly go behind her and play twenty questions about what she used. Then the flip side of the coin is she's always complaining she's out of somthing like its my problem to fix. She's cold at work, shoelace broke, raining and forgot umbrella,  construction at work is giving her a migrane. There is atleast two items per problem In her bag.
View Quote

OK, so she doesn't restock
That's obviously going to be your job to check periodically
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top