[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Good website for more info on this

http://willitfreezedry.com/
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

For those that remember the freeze dried hamburger patty and freeze dried pork patty MREs

Ah the memories you have brought back TBS

Freeze dried beef patty = sponge that tastes like beef...Mmmm Nom

Freeze dried pork patty = sponge of grease with no taste...Not sure if want
View Quote

I actually liked the practical side of the beef patties.  You could be on a patrol while everyone else was starving and munch away. A few swigs of water and you'd be full.  Get busy? Drop it in your pocket and get to work.  When things quieted down, just go back to eating.

NOT FOR PRE FLIGHT USE
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
So finally setup and running

DSC_0082 by gaelic33, on Flickr" />

Prefreezing some homemade chicken soup

DSC_0081 by gaelic33, on Flickr" />

And some grilled chicken and beef stew

DSC_0080 by gaelic33, on Flickr" />

DSC_0079 by gaelic33, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
awesome!

which cart did you buy i am looking for one to setup the same way
View Quote

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-3325/Carts/Uline-Utility-Cart-with-Flat-Shelf-44-x-25-x-33?pricode=WY535&gadtype=pla&id=78437507722&gclid=CJL7uKmF0r4CFUFrfgodZqMAXg

its a very nice cart
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool OP!

Can I pay a rental fee and bring stuff to dehydrate?
ETA: Mostly kidding, don't want to violate your opsec/per sec.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#9]
best thread ever
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LOL.

This Puerto Rican chick I used to date had a grandfather who owned a bodega up in the Bronx. He closed the store to retire back to PR (he had broken a hip the previous winter). He let me take whatever I wanted in exchange for helping him sell the fixtures, appliances, etc. I had 3 full Rubbermaid totes of jerky, all Slim Jims, Rolets, and Oberto. I still have a pretty good stash of canned stuff from him.

Fascinating guy, he was in the bodega business since the  late 60's, had been held up countless times, and was in FOUR shootouts with robbers! (with a properly licensed S&W .38).

ETA: the "bad" jerky still got eaten, btw
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but can you FD jerky?

Jerky generally doesn't keep past 2 yrs in my experience.

Could you FD it, seal it in a can w/ an o2 absorber, and then "rehydrate" it with an eye dropper?

How

Tell Me How

You could allow jerky to get Two Years old?????

When I make jerky it is Gone I say Gone within a month If I hide it well.

For the LOL
I have had better results storing chocolate for longer time

IMHO I think you are defeating the point of jerky by freeze drying it.

LOL.

This Puerto Rican chick I used to date had a grandfather who owned a bodega up in the Bronx. He closed the store to retire back to PR (he had broken a hip the previous winter). He let me take whatever I wanted in exchange for helping him sell the fixtures, appliances, etc. I had 3 full Rubbermaid totes of jerky, all Slim Jims, Rolets, and Oberto. I still have a pretty good stash of canned stuff from him.

Fascinating guy, he was in the bodega business since the  late 60's, had been held up countless times, and was in FOUR shootouts with robbers! (with a properly licensed S&W .38).

ETA: the "bad" jerky still got eaten, btw

Wow, where in the Bronx, papa?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i sat down and calculated the cost of running and processing a 1 gallon sized mylar bag of food.

with the cost of power, bags, o2 absorbents, pump oil etc.. it looks like it runs around 3-4.00 per bag to process. that obviously doesn't account for time and the cost of the food. thats not to bad when you consider the cost of FD foods on the market.

that cost would be for roughly a single run. the more qty you can pack in the machine the lower that cost gets.
View Quote

How much freeze dried food by weight did you put into your gallon bag?

I know that a gallon of freeze dried water will weigh less than say a gallon of freeze dried ground beef, but I got this new calculator that I can use on the harder math
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Extremely impressed after the first batch the chicken, beef stew and chicken soup all turned out great

DSC_0083 by gaelic33, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

nice... have you tasted it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Extremely impressed after the first batch the chicken, beef stew and chicken soup all turned out great

http://<a href=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3942/15559716806_b2377f37e4.jpg</a>DSC_0083 by gaelic33, on Flickr" />

nice... have you tasted it?

yup tastes great, currently defrosting, and it seems slow to defrost
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Really enjoy this thread and the food!

Here's a freeze drier on ebay for $500 or best offer. Prolly take $350? A gift to a handy person...

I know of this company's reputation and they sell nice stuff, altho I have no interest or commo with them.

Freeze Dry

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
looks like that one needs a lot of work as well as a pump.
View Quote

What work do you think it needs?

I don't see feedthrus for heating the trays, easily added, but it looks good, maybe too small.

Adding a $90 harbor freight vacuum pump and heated trays and it might be OK.

The description says it cools OK and that's the main issue I see.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Here's a freeze drier on ebay for $500 or best offer. Prolly take $350? A gift to a handy person...

I know of this company's reputation and they sell nice stuff, altho I have no interest or commo with them.

Freeze Dry

View Quote

That looks like it has the cold trap (the clear door in the side) but not the vacuum chamber which connects to the hole in the top of the cabinet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Wish I'd have gone to the prep show.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
combatvet got real close to the same deal i got when he called them. they WANT to sell machines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish I'd have gone to the prep show.

combatvet got real close to the same deal i got when he called them. they WANT to sell machines.
Hell man, I couldn't afford it right now, but I'm always looking for cool ideas.

Hit me up next time you go to a prep show for sure. I know I missed the last few you went to.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

well i can't take mona anymore, she is breaking me at trade shows
View Quote

Mine would be the same way, lol
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Well so far iv'e dried 80lbs of chicken, 20 lbs of ground beef, 10 lbs of fruit cocktail, 20ish lbs of green beans and sweet corn, chili, beef stew, gonna do some eggs and cheese soon.

So far its worked like a charm with no hitches, really impressed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice hardware. I am glad I don't need one, yet still...........these threads do things.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That looks like it has the cold trap (the clear door in the side) but not the vacuum chamber which connects to the hole in the top of the cabinet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freeze Dry

No, the cold trap is the stainless port on the top. Probably poured liquid N2 in it, or dry ice and alcohol or acetone, or something

The chamber is the stainless tube about 14 inches in diameter from what I can guess, with the plastic vacuum door.

Looks like all the rack supports are missing, but how knows what application the original owner used it for.

May have used it to test micro-satellites...  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No, the cold trap is the stainless port on the top. Probably poured liquid N2 in it, or dry ice and alcohol or acetone, or something

The chamber is the stainless tube about 14 inches in diameter from what I can guess, with the plastic vacuum door.

Looks like all the rack supports are missing, but how knows what application the original owner used it for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freeze Dry

I have used that style of freeze dryer. They use a refrigeration system for the cold trap not liquid N2. This photo shows what is missing from the ebay item, a vacuum manifold that accepts glass flasks where the samples to be dried are contained.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#30]
o.k,... stupid question time,
  we recently bought a dehydrator, it works great for meats but not fruit...how in the world do you get DRIED fruit?   can it be done in a dehydrator or is this Freeze Dry the only way?

eta:   ohhhhh. just watched the vid from harvestright.....I know what I need to do now!!!  

edit again... just read the entire thread and I too want that little gem!  
Best Thread Ever!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:01:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have used that style of freeze dryer. They use a refrigeration system for the cold trap not liquid N2. This photo shows what is missing from the ebay item, a vacuum manifold that accepts glass flasks where the samples to be dried are contained.

http://www.triadsci.com/pics/3080.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freeze Dry

http://www.triadsci.com/pics/3080.jpg

I agree with you, the top port is an aux port for whatever manifold device option is used with it.

It would be blanked off when just the large tubular chamber is used.

The top flange looked like a cold trap in some vacuum equipment I bought, in association with an Abar/Vacuum Engineering high vacuum furnace we bought and rebuilt and used for YIG oscillator nickel-iron housing heat treating. And sort of like traps in systems at a Physics dept at a U where I spent some 'quality' time.

Also, the liquid nitrogen traps in high vacuum systems are generally used to prevent mechanical and diffusion pump oils and in the old days, mercury  ---[I used a glass mercury diffusion pump in my first particle accelerator    ], from back streaming to the work area.

In the case of the freeze driers, a much 'lower' [poorer] vacuum is required and the moisture from the food product is trapped to sort of make a 'water pump' to help remove it and keep it from the product ---of sorts, and also to prevent pump oil contamination.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well so far iv'e dried 80lbs of chicken, 20 lbs of ground beef, 10 lbs of fruit cocktail, 20ish lbs of green beans and sweet corn, chili, beef stew, gonna do some eggs and cheese soon.

So far its worked like a charm with no hitches, really impressed.
View Quote

When we did cheese it turned out really well. I grated two block of Sharp Cheddar and the flavor is awesome.

The ice cream turned out well too.

preppergurl
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:51:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
o.k,... stupid question time,
  we recently bought a dehydrator, it works great for meats but not fruit...how in the world do you get DRIED fruit?   can it be done in a dehydrator or is this Freeze Dry the only way?

View Quote

You can do fruit in the Dehydrator. I make apple chips in mine. I slice them thin and leave the skin on. You can also make fruit leather similar to a fruit roll up too.
What kind of Dehydrator do you have?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
well my pump seal blew today.

i changed the oil in the pump per the instructions. came home to the garage full of mist and oil everywhere.

in a panic i tore down the pump and found the housing seal had shifted allowing a leak. i suspect i over filled the pump. i reseated the gasket and put it all back together. pulled a vacuum just fine. restarting this run now.

1/2qt or so of mineral oil goes a LOOOOOOOOONG way once outside the pump
View Quote

Meh
You should see what they look like after sucking down HCl vapors, seizing up and then burning out the motor.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#36]
that sucks man!
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
naa.. it was the last of your batch running
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

that sucks man!

naa.. it was the last of your batch running

Let me know if you need more pump oil.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
rich i have a question for you.

one guy discussed trying to do butter. he said when the vacume process started the butter began to boil and exploded all over the inside of the machine due to the oil content.

i don't have any desire to do butter although it might be cool for storage, but there are a lot of recipes out there i see with pretty high oil butter content.

what causes that and is there a difference in doing a lump of butter vs cooked foods with similar oil contents?

i am new to this and still trying to figure it out.
View Quote

Just buy ghee
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey TBS, are you still happy with this thing?

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Well i have to say the machine has been running great, there was a learning curve in the beginning but the Harvest Right people were great to work with.

I've been running the machine pretty much 24/7
here's some pic's

"No ROAST BEEF NO PEACE!!

20141213_102641 by gaelic33, on Flickr" />

Some of the stuff i've done so far

20141213_102726 by gaelic33, on Flickr" />

20141213_102717 by gaelic33, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#46]
That's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:07:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I've got ground deer, deer loin and more canned stuff for you man.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Was this cooked before dehydrating it?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Was this cooked before dehydrating it?
View Quote

you can do either cooked or raw, and these were freeze dried, like Mountain House food, i prefer cooked so all i have to do is add hot water to it and im ready to go
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top