Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I would love to be able to rent one along with a #10 can sealer.

Maybe that's a business idea!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i can be bribed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[]So I'm thinking of road trippin to TBS's place with a couple coolers of food that needs processed and a bottle of bourbon.

With a bit of luck I could have a bunch of stuff freeze dried before TBS finished the bottle[/]

i can be bribed

Imma going to the store...you like JD right
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:25:01 AM EDT
[#5]
tag for aar.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]
That the flux capacitor on the side??

That's pretty cool.  Anxious to see how it works with a variety of foods.  

Thanks for the pics!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
that the vacuum pump. it's where the magic happens.
View Quote

Honestly it looks more like the ghost containment unit the Ghostbusters used to use...remember,,,with the foot pedal.

Any plans to do meat?

Not realistic, but sticky buns and a pie would be interesting to see.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
yep just want to work the bugs out of the process before i jump into meats and such. gonna try some ice cream next
View Quote

Yeah that makes sense.  Have you tried eating anything you've made yet?  

I'm wondering if there are any weird tastes the first few batches?

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
this is the first batch. it arrived about 1300 today.

setup was a breeze. i had it up and ready to run including cleaning it all out in less than 20 min. unit is HEAVY. total ship weight was about 200lbs.

taste from the samples they gave me was on par and frankly better than anything i have had from FD food packages from vendors. the nice thing is you get to control the qaulity of the food.

i see no reason at all this should be any different.
View Quote

Oh ok, but at the same time they probably didn't give you samples fresh from a new machine ya know?  Not trying to argue, just pointing it out.  

To be honest I'm going to watch what you report over the next few years with this so please check in if you keep having great experiences or have any problems.  Then in the future as funds allow we might be the first house on our block to get one.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
true they were 2 years old on a first run of their prototype supposedly.

i really don;t see why a first run should have any flavor differences. the entire machine is stainless and the process takes place at -50f. unless you don't wash the trays there shouldn;t be anything to contaminate the process.

i should know in the morning
View Quote

That makes sense.  

That'd be gross not to wash the trays.  You'd get steaks/beef that taste like blue berries...

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
they told me about the only thing that shouldnt be done with other foods is onions and garlic. you "might" get some added flavor but even then it was iffy.  all the moisture and oils tend to vaporize and get pulled into the vacuum supposedly. i don't really know, it's still mostly voodoo to me.
View Quote

Anything volatile will partially/fully evaporate and be mostly condensed in the cold trap. When you melt the ice it will smell like whatever you freeze dried.

Take good care of your vacuum pump as it is the heart of the freeze dryer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Okay I will start the list.

1. Anchovies

2. Cooked Bacon

3. Raw Bacon

4. Slice of pizza

5. Vanilla Pudding

6. Smoked trout.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Still tagged!!  I.e. still very much interested.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

any suggestions on a moisture trap for the pump. they say that is what kills the oil and this pump oil ain't cheap. i was thinking of putting something inline to trap as much of the water vapor as possible in the hopes of extending the oil life.
View Quote

The cold trap in the freeze dryer should catch most of the water. If you want added protection place an inline cold trap just ahead of the vacuum pump.
Something like this is placed in a thermos with dry ice/acetone*, it will condense anything that gets past the internal cold trap.

Before you worry about the pump see how the system works as is. It may be just fine without a second trap. We only use a secondary trap if there are organic solvents or volatile acids in the samples, hopefully your food won't have this problem.
If the oil is clear, not cloudy it is running OK. Usually the pump runs hot enough that any residual water vapor is not condensed into the oil.

*You need to get the trap very cold for it to be effective, plain ice will not work.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
they say on regular runs, 2-3 a week, the oil will need replacement weekly unless you let the pump cool and drain the water and top off every run. this is out of my realm of expertise right now. i did order 4 gallons of the oil the recommended off amazon for about 75.00. at regular changes that should last me about 18 weeks or so of constant running.
View Quote

We would change the oil monthly with almost daily use. I never remember seeing water condense in the pump unless we grossly overloaded the trap or the samples melted and caused too much water vapor for the condenser to freeze.

Assuming the unit has a cold trap designed correctly you should not see any water in the pump oil.  Keep an eye on the oil, if you see no water I would change it monthly with regular use. If the oil has some water run the pump overnight with a very small air bleed into the vacuum line. This will allow the water to be vented as the pump oil remains warm from pumping.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
started a new run this morning. Cooked chicken chunks, fresh pineapple slices, strawberries and the wife wanted try pomegranates so we tossed some in as well. i will be out of town this weekend, when i get back monday i will get some serious pics and info put up. hopefully by then i will know what i am doing.

currently have about 4000.00 worth of snacks that would have cost me around 10 bucks at the store
View Quote

I'm going to guess those pomegranates will be similar to the blueberries unless you punctured the skin...

On the $4,000.00 worth of snacks:

You may have to "rent this out" to recover some of the cost...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

i will start on meats once i really get the hang of it. i don't want to ruin 50.00 worth of meat
View Quote
Sounds like a good idea.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#33]
"i don't think your going to do 10lbs at run as advertised.. maybe with pre-cooked weights for meats but i think that is pushing the limits of the machine."

The refrigeration service vacuum pump is likely the limiting factor.

A much larger vacuum pump got tossed away w/ lot of stuff 2 years ago from our vacuum furnace [with a diffusion pump, we used it to heat treat Carpenter 49 nickel iron alloy for YIG oscillators, to 2200F, and then a 19 hour annealing cycle].

I considered making a freeze drying system with it, but never pursued it.

We also occassionally ran a medium size 2 stage vacuum pump to hold sheets of material to the table of a CNC mill, and flooded the sheet with a soluble oil coolant. I tried to get the oil changed in that pump twice a year.

Something that is commonly used in high vac systems is a large roughing pump to pull the vacuum down initially, then a smaller 'holding' pump that is capable of pumping  smaller volumes of gas.

Excellent used vacuum pumps are all over eBay and that is the first enhancement, I'd likely make to your freeze-dry system. Another would be adding a surplus MKS Baratron type vac gauge that is relatively insensitive to various gasses and can give an absolute and accurate measurement of chamber preessure.

Monitoring the temperature and pressure of your system is critical, and fortunately, everything to do it accurately is available on eBay, at low prices.

I tried all sorts of ways to sell the pumps and no one was interested.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome thread TBS.

I was taking a vacation from the Survival Forum because it was costing me too much cash when I saw things I wanted.  So I pop back in and immediately land on a thread that costs 4k to play!

I'll be following your thread closely, while trying to figure out how to pitch the wife on this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Variable556, you better stay out of jeep and BOV threads.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have been looking at them a little.  I think I'll start a choice thread on that subject next year.  If I watch this thread much longer my timeline might suffer more though....

Maybe I should tell the wife I could get a freezedryer instead of a truck, and then turn around and get a truck later anyway.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#40]
nice!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#42]
You'll have to send us all some samples so we can evaluate your work.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#43]
That is majorly cool, and I got to admit, I'm a bit jealous.

I would really like to have one of those.

The price is the only thing holding me back from leaping on one right now.  I realize one worth having won't be cheap, I just wish someone made one like that for 2k instead of 4....
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#45]
By chance did you take any before and after weights? I'd be curious as to how much water gets pulled off.

Wish my honey do list wasn't so expensive.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
i suspect in a few years they will be. this machine has only been out for a couple of years. like anything else if this takes off prices will come down.

i have been exploring a few ideas to help pay for it. doing a few runs of food for other folks etc. based on time i am looking at around 3-4.00 per pound of food <pre dry weight>. a few runs a month will cover about 1/2 the remaining payments. it was 2500.00 down and the rest int free for 12 months. worked out to around 116 per month. i spend that on range junk every month. figuring in the money i will save on prepped foods i should recover the cost in 12 months pretty easily and will be able to put back a metric shitload of foods for storage.

when you figure the costs over a couple of years it's not that bad
View Quote

All very true.  I'm perched on the fence watching.  Hopefully a price drop will knock me off on the purchase side.

I had thought about going halves with someone local on one, but going halves on something that expenxsive and worrying about them dinking it up doesn't seem wise.  Maybe I can co-opt a family member, and then retain physical possession in exchange for indentured drying services....  I just hate being on the hook to anyone for anything.  Come on price drop, daddy needs a freeze dryer!

I'm also somewhat irked at myself, because I've pissed away more than enough money to buy one of those with cash wasted in the past.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have been looking at them a little.  I think I'll start a choice thread on that subject next year.  If I watch this thread much longer my timeline might suffer more though....

Maybe I should tell the wife I could get a freezedryer instead of a truck, and then turn around and get a truck later anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you get a freeze drier...you do know that you greatly increase the chance that I may show up at your door with a cooler of food to process, a bottle of bourbon for a bribe, and a lost puppy look on my face.

I'd do it for the LOLZ

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#49]
TBS that looks like a boat load of fun

And you are already down to about $2k a run

Just to reflect on what another poster mentioned.
Have you tried networking with some local florist to preserve arrangements as a revenue stream to recover your cost?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top