Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2014 2:37:53 PM EDT

With this being 'National Preparedness Month', have any of you come across any good sales on #10 cans of Mountain House? So far everything I've found is only a couple of bucks off the MSR price (per can). Big woop de doo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
OST...ready for a new order

Edit: Checked Auguson Farms but nothing there cept the daily sale item
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't camping survival.com have their killer Mountain Hoouse 10# can sale right about now?  I remember ordering a lot of stuff from them last year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Last year, the MH sale was for the entire month for "prepping month", but I've only seen one sale and it's only for a week.  Kinda disappointing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Doesn't camping survival.com have their killer Mountain House 10# can sale right about now?  I remember ordering a lot of stuff from them last year.
View Quote

I checked their website last night `Finance (remembering their 50-60% off killer deals last year) and sadly, nothing going on there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Their prices are about 2-3x what I'd be willing to pay.

Not sure if I'm dreaming, but....
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I checked their website last night `Finance (remembering their 50-60% off killer deals last year) and sadly, nothing going on there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't camping survival.com have their killer Mountain House 10# can sale right about now?  I remember ordering a lot of stuff from them last year.

Man what a drag.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
You just missed Karst Sport's semi annual sale.  20-25% off all Mountain House and FREE SHIPPING.  I only buy from them during their sales.  Get on their mailing list for the next one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#9]
FYI on Mountain House-

Mountain House the manufacturer sets a very strict MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) policy for dealers. You have to sign and agree to a bunch of crap including that if you sell for less than MAP without having informed them you are going to do one of 4 annual "allowed" 7 day sales, you will lose your ability to sell their products.  AND you are "limited" to not more than 25% off MAP for #10 cans. I don't know about the pouches as I don't sell the pouches. The #10 cans are the better deal anyways.

Now there is exceptions to there MAP policy- recently in July and August they lifted the MAP pricing FOR THAT TIME PERIOD.  That's why you saw the "40-50% off deals" then. Now here's a clue, the dealer markup isn't that great on most of their items, so the higher end of the "50% off" deals like that are usually overruns or odd stuff that Mt. House already is clearancing to dealers. Honestly a true 40% discount is probably the best your going to see- again based on what I wrote above, YES you may find one odd item that Mt. House is dropping from their line (saucers of ice cream or some crap) that ends up being more than "50% off" because they want to move THAT PARTICULAR item. OR likewise the dealer could "show" a higher than MAP pricing, then likewise take quote 50% off unquote (notice the quotation marks I'm making with my claw hands? LOL). In the same way your local clothing store takes a shirt that's normally $20, says it's $25. retail then marks it to $12.50 and calls it "50% off""  Is it really 50% off? No, the store just played a pricing game with you on it.

I can tell you from knowing the wholesale cost that say on the #10 cans- anything 25% off or more on WITH shipping included AKA "free shipping" is a helluva deal normally. In other words, the dealer isn't making much on that. When you figure it's probably $15. or more per case in UPS ship costs, the dealer is relatively close to the bone at a 25% off MAP pricing and including shipping AKA "free shipping" deals.

Keep in mind also, per Mt. House rules, the dealer has to have a "7 day sale" running of which they are only allowed to have a certain number of a year to offer the sale prices. It is VERY CONTROLLED pricing policy. All of this comes from paperwork signed with Mt. House this last year and in person conversations with their reps. I didn't pull this out no where :)  It might have been different before, but this is Mt. House policy currently.

Right now, as in September, Mt. House is offering a couple items in #10 cans they don't normally carry in #10 cans.

5 Limited Release items in #10 Cans from our 2015 pouch line-up:
Fire Roasted Veggies
Apple Crisp
Plain Scrambled Eggs, pre-cooked
Chicken Fried Rice
Italian-Style Pepper Steak w/Rice

2 Limited Release items from the archive:
Spicy Oriental Vegetables w/Chicken & Rice
Seafood Chowder

Evidently these will only be available to order in September so ask your favorite dealer about ordering some of these.

The Fire roasted veggies are a great addition to your storage. The apple crisp is similar to the AlpineAire brand apple crisp although tastes slightly better IMO. The chicken fried rice literally tastes like chicken fried rice from a Chinese restaurant. The Spicy oriental veggies with chicken and rice is an awful lot like Chicken Teriyaki.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks for the info Lowdown.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I spent over a hour scouring the net on Monday for this very thing. I checked all the popular sites and even brought up the threads here on ARFCOM from Sept 2013, and rechecked those (killer deals last year)

I found nothing.....not even old stock deals.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]
theepicenter.com says they have 20% off
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#13]
For those looking for the special run of Fire Roasted Vegetables in #10 cans ON SALE, just got some from here, Outdoor Fare... $121.46, normally $161.94
Mountain House Fire Roasted Vegetables

Rmpl
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Some good information here.  Does anybody know if there are any plans for another sale like September 2013?  Those prices were below the "normal" sales that come and go throughout the year.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some good information here.  Does anybody know if there are any plans for another sale like September 2013?  Those prices were below the "normal" sales that come and go throughout the year.
View Quote

That's what they just did in July and August.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top