Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2014 2:25:10 PM EDT
You may have your sprays, repellents, bug zappers, etc. But in an extended situation, what do you do about mosquito control? Those things carry disease, and really prevent productive work. Since the arrival of the tiger mosquito in the last 10 years or so, they viciously attack during all hours of the day/night.

We do the normal thing of mitigating the property of standing water as best we can, but with edibles growing darn near everywhere, we are hesitant to use sprays unless we really need to.

I had a thought, and maybe it has been done, but was looking for feedback:

Give them a place to lay their eggs.

You heard me, set up a few places just for the mosquitoes to lay the eggs. Nice place like a bird feeder in the shade. Then twice a week, dump some pool shock or bleach in it, enough to kill all the larvae. The bleach evaporates away, and the next crop thinks they found the perfect place to lay their eggs. Repeat twice weekly during skeeter season.

Wonder if it would make a significant difference? Skeeter season is starting to die off now, so I won't have the opportunity to try until next year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Our 2 nights in the teton rand was dieter infested. Cattle roam the area so we were picking up piles dried dung for the fire.

Also suggest learning what plants have repellant properties in ur area.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Citronella plants although i can never make mine live throughout the winter and have to buy new ones every spring/summer
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
After 15 years in the pest control industry and most of that in the mosquito infested south.....

I will help as best I can. Yes the first step is to reduce "any" standing water. Tires, kids toys, pots, buckets.... Etc. the life cycle is about 5-7 days so you must dump them every 4 days to kill he larvae. They only breed in standing water. Even windy choppy ponds are to rough and they will drown as they hatch into adults.

They will stay on the underside of leaves to rest, especially in the heat of the day.

Trim back all shrubs, plants, trees as much as you can. Any cool moist areas like ivy beds or damp areas will draw them in.

A fogger is one of your best bets to control them but even our professional products and equipment is normally only good for 3-4 weeks in summer. And yes you want to stay away from edible plants as much as possible. If you have standing water there are some great products that treat them. Look under microbial water treatments. We use them a lot for midge control also.

Remember eggs can lay dormant for a long period of time when dry. Sometimes when water evaporates quickly you will see a black ring around a bucket or old pool liner. A lot of those are mosquito eggs and as soon as it rains as the water rises back up the eggs will hatch.

Therma cells are the best I have ever found for personal protection. For long term protection invest in a bug suit. Especially if you are in a bad area for them.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
for short term use.. two indispensable items from my hurricane supplies... in 2004, without electricity for A/C and fans for 9 days, the inside temperature did not get below 90F till late at night... so spent a lot of time outside after dark... the old Dietz from KMart was fueled with citronella based tiki torch oil, and a citronella bucket candle made life bearable

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the most cherished pieces of gear I was issued in the military was a mosquito head net.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Wonder if it would make a significant difference?

View Quote
no

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Flammenwerffers are your friend (they werffer flammen).
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Flammenwerffers are your friend (they werffer flammen).
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I find that burning citronella candles helps very little with mosquitoes

Maybe invest in some bats?. They eat like 20-30x in their body weight of insects
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#11]
When I lived in Guatemala, it was recommended to me that I soak my clothes in permethrin and let them dry and to repeat that treatment every 5 washings or so. I never did it because I was too lazy to worry about, but those who did felt like it helped some. There was a shit ton of mosquitoes down there during the peak hours. I got dengue fever, that was a miserable experience. I had a friend that got malaria. I think if I were to live down there again for a long period of time, I would do the permethrin treatment on my clothes.

It was recommended to sleep under a mosquito net. I never did because it was hot as balls down there and the net made me feel like I was suffocating. Instead I would sleep with a fan blowing over me. The little biters couldn't land on you with the fan blowing on you, and it made the hot nights a little more bearable. If I didn't have electricity, and I could stand it, the mosquito nets would be a must especially for my kids.

Cover up as much skin as you can especially at dusk. Long sleeves, etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a lot of cheap head nets and mosquito nets for sale @ varios vendors.  I've put away several, for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Maybe invest in some bats?. They eat like 20-30x in their body weight of insects
View Quote
We have about 8-10 that are out every night.

Guess my idea of bait and kill isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Look for native plants that repel skeeters that you can rub on you skin or clothing.

Put up bird/bat houses.

Citranola does not work.

Bug suits,jackets and head nets work but can be hot.

Other clothing works.
Sometimes you just have to tough it out.
No-see-ums are worse than skeeters.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Look for native plants that repel skeeters that you can rub on you skin or clothing.

Put up bird/bat houses.
Citranola does not work.
Bug suits,jackets and head nets work but can be hot.
Other clothing works.

Sometimes you just have to tough it out.

No-see-ums are worse than skeeters.  
View Quote

It isn't so much a just tough it out thing. I mean, yeah maybe you do, but there can be legit heal issues that can come from it. People die from West Nile here in MS, and that is with modern medical care and with people doing things to avoid mosquitoes. I can only imagine what it would be like if folks were sleeping outside due to the heat and with nothing to repel them or keep them off.

Old houses down here (made before AC was an option) had screened in porches. Most of these are now replaced with glass rooms so they can be air conditioned. But I am sure if we lost power long term, a nice screened in porch would be super nice.

When I spent the night along the Amazon in Peru, we stayed in these off the ground pavilions that had screen all around, and overhead like as the ceiling and then under it to keep bugs from coming up through the floor. Then we had our tent inside of that. It was actually very effective and made for nice cool sleeping arrangements. The pavilion was big enough to hold about 8 four man dome tents. I actually hope to replicate this out by a pond in the woods behind the house.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Eat lots of garlic. You stink, but it works.

Or

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's a lot of cheap head nets and mosquito nets for sale @ varios vendors.  I've put away several, for obvious reasons.
View Quote

Good decision, for a lot of insect problems...

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Some EOTWAWKI, no DEET, no mosquito fogs, every unattended water around my place is going to have used motor oil on it.  

The point of that is mosquito control starts with limiting the breeding grounds.  When I see folks with standing water being eaten alive spending their lives at home indoors or hiding, I just smile and shake my head.  Most of us don't live in the swamps. We have to work at it through neglect to do so,.

Tj
View Quote
In my neck of the woods (Central MN), what isn't a lake is a swamp or a hill. Not much in between. Unfortunately, we live next to about 1200 acres of swamp .
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#22]
there appears to be a difference of opinion on the usefulness of citronella based lamp oils... like Thom Jefferson, my old Dietz lantern works well for my situation... but to qualify...mine was used in a limited space with wind blocked.... I live about 3 miles from the Gulf at pretty high (32') elevation... the county has a very good mosquito control district with spray trucks,Hughes 500D dropping pellets, and salt water channels to drain swamp areas...,  during the 2004 hurricane outage, I used the lantern in my non attached garage with double wide door as temporary living quarters...I have an old frame house with frame garage.... I was able to manually lift the garage door, and not having a typical screened porch or pool enclosure most Floridians have, turned my garage into my daytime living quarters until well after dark... I moved the cooking grille, a chaise lounge, folding camp chair, portable TV and radio, and fired up the Dietz and a Air Pilot for light, and waited for the house to cool down...powering the ceiling fans became a priority after retirement...
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#23]
This is anecdotal, but during field ops I've been stunned by how bugs don't bother me. The only difference I can tell is that I'm a filthy animal after day 3 or 4 of not showering and sweating all day. Anyone else notice this?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I knew it was along these lines but I had to look it up to confirm.....Mosquitos kill on average of one million people per year. Damn!
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Citronella candles are very good at keeping the skeeters away from the citronella.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can build bat houses for whatever bats are in your area. That would have to help with the bug population.

Birch tar is a good repellant, too.

http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/birchtar.html
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Long term where you are not going to be sitting with a thermocell:  I would go back to what I hunted with in the FL swamps prior to the thermocell:    Lay clothes on flat surface and Spray clothes down well with permethrin/permanone and let dry, the wet permethrin is NOT good for your skin.   The chemical will bind to the clothing for some time and several washings and keep then skeeters from biting areas where clothing is tight against your skin.  Lightweight gloves.... spray the same as above, to cover hands.  

As for face and neck, I revised the cheap camo hunting headnets you can find:  Get the headnets that have a pre cut out for your eyes and enlarge the precut out area with scissors so that once you first put on a cap with a bill, you can then pull the entire headnet over your cap and head and pull the bill through the opening.  The cap will do a marginal job of keeping the netting far enough away from you skin to prevent most of the skeeters from reaching your skin.   If the skeeters are really bad, I will put a tiny bit of deet around my eyes/nose to keep the pests from zoning in on this one unprotected area.   This will keep you from having to move your hands to swat away the pests and give away your position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top