Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2014 12:48:13 PM EDT
I am about to purchase a Side by Side UTV and this will be a first for me.  

I have some really good gear to carry, but the one item I want to get is a good reliable 12 v air compressor.

Can anyone tell me which ones are good and which ones are junk ?

I'm already guessing Harbor Freight & Tool might not be a good one.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed. Viair.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a portable viair compressor and it lives in my old truck.  The truck needs tires aired up now and then, corroded aluminum rims seem to leak a little air rather than seal properly.

It does all 4 just fine.  

Run a search for the last thread on these and you will see people recomend longer jumper cables and stuff as well.

On a shortbed regular cab f150 from 1995 the stock portable air compressor can do all 4 tires.  It barely does all 4 tires though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am about to purchase a Side by Side UTV and this will be a first for me.  

I have some really good gear to carry, but the one item I want to get is a good reliable 12 v air compressor.

Can anyone tell me which ones are good and which ones are junk ?

I'm already guessing Harbor Freight & Tool might not be a good one.

Thanks in advance.

View Quote

May not be the best but they offer different grades. I bought two and have never
had a problem and they saved my butt on a couple occasions and have proved
very handy. I keep waiting for one to stop working.......but even after a few years they
still work fine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#5]
You may want to buy a tire plug kit also.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
So those of you with Viair H models, do you feel that mounting the compressor under the hood is okay?   The user manual says it's okay, but then warns against heat and excessive moisture.  Plenty of both are present under the hood, lol.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Some folks will mount the compressor in a plastic battery box either under the hood or under the vehicle and run a line inside the vehicle cabin for the air intake.

Here is an awesome write up on how one person mounted their tank, compressor, everything...

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a tank years ago when I hit the trails, but I always wanted a compressor.  They take up less space and they're more versatile.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's the attractiveness of a truck mounted compressor? More air? Bling? Something else?
View Quote

Usually a truck mounted compressor also has an air tank for air reserve storage and therefore a larger cfm of air.

I have a compressor, tank, lines and wiring.  Just haven't taken the time to install it yet.  Mine will be going in my daily driver/tow rig/do anything truck.  I carry a very complete set of tools, bug out bag, weapons, all kinds of emergency and repair gear.  The compressor will just be another tool in my arsenal.  I will have hose fittings rigged up front and rear to hook up an air hose to air up trailer tires, reinflate my tires after a repair or airing them down for soft sand, or to run some air tools.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You can reseat a broken bead on a truck tire with a CO2 tank a lot better/faster with a tank cranked up than with a compressor. Take the valve core out, put a ratchet strap around it, crank the pressure up and have at it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I used a tank years ago when I hit the trails, but I always wanted a compressor.  They take up less space and they're more versatile.

You can reseat a broken bead on a truck tire with a CO2 tank a lot better/faster with a tank cranked up than with a compressor. Take the valve core out, put a ratchet strap around it, crank the pressure up and have at it.
True, but if you add a tank with the compressor you can do the same thing.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you can run a smaller tank. This also gives you the ability to run air lockers almost indefinitely.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#15]
You folks are awesome.   I will be ordering the side by side on sunday and wait for it to be delivered.  

I appreciate the heads up on the compressor.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi, I'm Ryan from VIAIR.  I noticed a small spike in our website visitors from this post.  Logged in just in case there's anymore questions about our products.  I don't want to get booted for promoting anything so i'll leave it at that.  And thanks to whoever recommended our products.  We're glad you guys like them!

Cheers.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Mounting it might allow you to keep it out of areas you want to keep open.

The little portable thing I have is slow compared to their larger setups that can be mounted.  I keep the little thing behind the seat of the regular cab pickup with a bench seat.  It is easy to get it out and take it with me if it needs to be used elsewhere.

Folks who off road and are always airing tires up and down, or who have other needs like blowing up inflatable pool toys or inner tubes for rafting or whatever, might decide to mount it in their vehicle.

Pirate 4x4 has a thread about a pump called a puma and lots of people over there seperated the motor from the tank and made it fit behind the interior body panels of their suv toys.  By hiding it their space in the back is wide open and many plumbed in places to plug in an air hose at the front and back of their vehicle.  Makes it easy to use on that specific vehicle.

It is a luxury to some extent since it is hard mounted to the vehicle, but if your vehicle has a winch and some serious mods an air compressor at a couple hundred bucks might be one of the cheaper mods.

On something like my jeep wrangler lots of folks mount the pump somewhat inside the vehicle and the tank lives under the vehicle.  Makes it easy to have a lot of compressed air on hand but no tank taking up valuable interior space.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]

If its only for use with an ATV or UTV then:

Most don't use more then 10PSI.  Vehicle tires are a different story.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a compressor mounted in the engine compartment of my Toyota FJ with it plumbed to a quick connect on my front bumper (Left of the winch control).  I have used it to air up my vehicle when coming out of the desert and lots of other things, very handy and convenient.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top