Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2014 11:51:05 AM EDT
We have stored wheat berries in our LTS pile in gallon mylar bags for a while, and have only used home ground flour for select things. Now that we have perfected using it for most everything, I have the green light from the Mrs to stockup on hard white wheat for normal daily use. Obviously, there is no need to spend the $ and time putting it in gallon mylar bags. We can get open top 55 gallon barrels from a local guy (food grade), and I was figuring on utilizing them for storage. The best deal I have found on wheat is, oddly enough, Wal-Mart. They have the 25 pound bags of Wheat Montana Prairie Gold for $13 and change. My plan is to take the 25 pound bag and put it in the freezer for a few days, just to make sure any eggs that may be there are killed. It would then go directly into the 55 gallon drum, but staying IN the original bag. We would have a 5 gallon pail in the house that would be refreshed from the bags in the barrel.

Would it be best keeping them in original bags and stacking those in the barrel (loss of space efficiency) or pouring it all in loose (maximum storage efficiency)?

I can see keeping them in original bags for recalls, etc, but you would loose probably 35-40% storage capacity I imagine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The freezer thing is iffy. (Not a guaranteed kill, and then moisture possibilities when removed) Put them into 5 gallon mylars and use oxygen absorbers. No oxygen means no bugs. period. 5 gallon size means if somehow the 55 gallon container is breached or damaged, only part of the contents may be damaged. My brother used a 5 gallon bucket to hold the bags, filled with grain, added the absorbers, squeezed, ironed, moved to 55 gallon barrel. BTW, have 55 gallon barrel where you want it, it's going to weigh about 350 lbs when you get done.

I personally like the 5 gallon buckets, easy to move, hold 35 pounds or so in a mylar. Stack well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd leave it in the sack so you can rotate it.  Dumping the wheat in a bbl is first in, last out.  The bottom 4" might sit for 20 years.

I think 5 gallon buckets with mylar are a better solution.  Mylar costs me less then $3 a bag with O2 absorbers, and the mylar can be reused at least once.  I'l figure on a 10 year rotation cycle- depending on how many buckets you wish to store, you may continue to buy and grind bagged wheat while only opening a bucket once a year (for 10 buckets stored)

55 gallon buckets with o2 adsorbers are doable but I don't knwo how fast you would use the wheat up before insects attack,
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Ive been using diadomaceous earth mixed into the wheat.  

Havent seen a bug in the wheat since.    

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ive been using diadomaceous earth mixed into the wheat.  

Havent seen a bug in the wheat since.    

View Quote
what is your ratio?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top