Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2014 11:38:02 AM EDT
I have several food grade 55 gallon drums that have had food ingredients in them.

They have been rinsed out and then fill with city water about 1/3 way and 2 cups of bleach added.

I then roll them around and let them sit a couple days.

I then roll them around again and empty them.

I get as much water as I can by tipping upside down and shacking the drum, but it still leave  maybe a cup or so of water in the drum

Whats the best way to dry out the residual water?

I put cheese cloth over the open bungs so that nothing can fly/crawl/drop in the drums.

I am thinking about selling them to other preppers for like 20-30 bucks a pop.

I thought about put a blow dryer on low heat into one of the bungs, and let it vent out the other...................Wife does not want to sacrifice her blow dryer for the experiment!!!

Any of you guys have a better way?

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I open both bungs.

I lay the drum on its side so the bungs are stacked vertically.

I take paper towel and soak up what water that didn't flow out (tilted the barrel my way). This gets out almost all the water.

I take our electric leaf blower and shove the nozzle in bottom bung.

I set leaf blower to high.

In about 30-45 minutes, it is dry.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I open both bungs.

I take paper towel and soak up what water that didn't flow out (tilted the barrel my way). This gets out almost all the water.

View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I open both bungs.

View Quote

I was thinking compressed air.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I was thinking compressed air.
View Quote
Make sure you empty your compressor tank of water first, or you could be spraying water in there

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I over engineered it...............Keep It Simple Stupid!!

Tilting and swabbing out with paper towels seems the cheapest low tech way without contamination!!

Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The benefit of living in the hot dry desert is I just open the bungs and let the water evaporate.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
as above, tilt, paper towels or fresh newspapers then use  your vacuum exhaust to dry it out..no sacrifice,,your wife probably hates the vacuum...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have several food grade 55 gallon drums that have had food ingredients in them.

They have been rinsed out and then fill with city water about 1/3 way and 2 cups of bleach added.

I then roll them around and let them sit a couple days.

I then roll them around again and empty them.

I get as much water as I can by tipping upside down and shacking the drum, but it still leave  maybe a cup or so of water in the drum

Whats the best way to dry out the residual water?

I put cheese cloth over the open bungs so that nothing can fly/crawl/drop in the drums.

I am thinking about selling them to other preppers for like 20-30 bucks a pop.

I thought about put a blow dryer on low heat into one of the bungs, and let it vent out the other...................Wife does not want to sacrifice her blow dryer for the experiment!!!

Any of you guys have a better way?  
View Quote

This is exactly what I did except I put it on high heat. Even on high it took a couple hours to get the drums bone dry. Otherwise it worked perfectly.

If the wife doesn't want to give her hair dryer up, just swing by your nearest Goodwill or other thrift store. Guarantee you can find one for a couple bucks. That's where I get all of my blow dryers I use for projects and clothes irons for sealing Mylar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top