Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 6:14:22 PM EDT
I had about 7 cases of canned food (veggies, fruit, roast-beast, etc.) stacked upon a 5 gallon bucket. I was going to pull down the pile from the oak shelves, and place these towards the bottom because of the "best by date".

So.......they weren't sitting square on the bucket lid, which collapsed. The stack tilted into the concrete wall, resulting in the rupture of the pull-tab lids of 2 cans of  Mandarin Oranges.

It must have been 5-6 days before I noticed it. Ended up tossing the entire case, as well as 2 cans of peaches beneath the ruptured cans.  No Mold!...Just sticky..

Rule of thumb....Paddy is Dumb....Don't Be Paddy...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I do not like the pull tabs, You drop a regualr can and it dents, drop a pull tab and it opens
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#2]
i wonder why they are switching to pull tabs?

surely it costs more to manufacture.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Because American society is lazy and they've realized people are willing to pay the extra few cents for pull tabs vs using a can opener, full disclaimer I'm pretty damn lazy myself :)  And Paddy if you're prepping you can't be that dumb, just bad luck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a can of SPAM pop open in my pack from the routine handling and storage.  I'd say the pull tab type cans are a problem to be considered.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Lost some ham due to a pull tab.  Good rememinder.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have  never had a prob with great value pull tab(wal-mart) brand but a named brand such as deviled ham or spam I have had the issues with. I guess it's luck of draw. Hormel stuff I have lucky with as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
snip

So.......they weren't sitting square on the bucket lid, which collapsed. The stack tilted into the concrete wall, resulting in the rupture of the pull-tab lids of 2 cans of  Mandarin Oranges.

View Quote

This also happened to me.  Stack of 5 gallon buckets, 4 high.  The bottom bucket lid collapsed, and the stack tilted against the adjacent buckets.  This caused mini chain reaction with buckets falling to the floor.  No real damage to the dry goods inside the buckets, but it was a small mess to clean up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The common wisdom is never stack 5 gallon buckets more than 3 high, and only 3 high if they are 90 mil buckets. 70 mil only go 2.

HOWEVER, we have had good luck 5 high, by putting a sheet of 1/2 plywood running the length of the stacks, between every level of buckets. It keeps the bases from nesting into the lid below. It is almost always the lid that fails.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because American society is lazy and they've realized people are willing to pay the extra few cents for pull tabs vs using a can opener,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because American society is lazy and they've realized people are willing to pay the extra few cents for pull tabs vs using a can opener,

QFT and because No Shit my life went like this:

"OMGtm This can opener cannot open a can, so we need to buy the ORGANIC can opener."

buys expensive can opener....then

"OMGtm This can opener cannot open a can, so we need to buy the VEGAN can opener."

gets Swiss army knife 'n sez be happy....

"OMGtm We're not eating any prepper food because it has chemicals...Only ORGANIC VEGAN or RESTAURANT food"

NOW

No she is gone because she was UNHAAAPY

I don't eat that that bullshit food sold at the "health" food store

I don't eat out much

AND

I have had to get smaller pants

/rantoff
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

"OMGtm This can opener cannot open a can, so we need to buy the ORGANIC can opener."

"OMGtm This can opener cannot open a can, so we need to buy the VEGAN can opener."

"OMGtm We're not eating any prepper food because it has chemicals...Only ORGANIC VEGAN or RESTAURANT food"

NOW

I don't eat out much

AND

/rantoff
View Quote
What?

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in our pantry this weekend and found two cans of Dole mandarin orange slices that had the pull tab tops pop off spontaneously.  These cans did not fall and weren't dented or abused.  I also had some diet Sprite cans that were completely empty after sitting for way too long.  I suspect the acid in both worked on the cans and the thin precut areas were the first to go.  In the case of the peaches, one lid was completely off and flipped over, suggesting it was a bit explosive.  Possibly went bad and started generating gas until it popped?
Welcome to Jim's Accidental Long Term Storage Testing Facility.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Brothers father in-law stacked 4-5 cases on water on top of each other and then he had a wet floor.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Would this also be a problem for twisty-key cans?  anyone had one rupture?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Many years ago, before the Army switched over to mylar bags / MREs, they experimented with pull tab C rations. The experiment didn't last long as you can imagine how well the pull tabs held up to rough handing along the logistics chain.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOW

I don't eat out much

AND

/rantoff
What?  

His ex was stupid.

He ditched ex.

Lives good, and is losing weight.

HE WINS.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOW

I don't eat out much

AND

/rantoff
What?  

LOL.... MrsWInd can be a little bit fussy, HurricaineAllis is just like me, she likes Dinty Moore, spam, and other weird stuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

NOW

I don't eat out much

AND

/rantoff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOW

I don't eat out much

AND

/rantoff

There is a lot of win in this post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top