Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 12:51:05 PM EDT
I just got a new backpack, I am looking for a list of all things medical that should go in it. as of now I have latex gloves. I do own a Dark angel kit. but this will be for the range and my car.

Also I am looking for a multitool. How are SOG multitools?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry a JanSport bag when I travel out of town... contains a G17 w/ TLR-1, extra mag, and Surefire 6P with a Malkoff upgrade... but the outside pouch carries a 4" Israeli dressing, SF Tourniquet, QuickClot sponge, several petroleum gauze for sealing chest wound, Kerlix for packing off, some tape, gloves and wipes, irrigation syringe.... just some suggestions for a range kit

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#3]
My kit on hikes /camps is -
Cat
Izzy
4x4s
Tape
H+h compressed gauze
Moleskin
Qc.
Bandaides
Meds

Other kits are bigger but similar

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry a JanSport bag when I travel out of town... contains a G17 w/ TLR-1, extra mag, and Surefire 6P with a Malkoff upgrade... but the outside pouch carries a 4" Israeli dressing, SF Tourniquet, QuickClot sponge, several petroleum gauze for sealing chest wound, Kerlix for packing off, some tape, gloves and wipes, irrigation syringe.... just some suggestions for a range kit

<a href="http://s825.photobucket.com/user/LesSnyder/media/DSC00489_zpsc8c791f0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz180/LesSnyder/DSC00489_zpsc8c791f0.jpg</a>
View Quote

I would switch out your scissors for EMT shears.  It would be easy to get poked with those sharp ends.  Have you thought about getting a chest seal as well since you mention chest wounds?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Oversteer... a former SF Medic friend commented that the petroleum gauze taped on 3 sides worked as well as the chest seals when a lot of blood/sweat was not able to be cleared.... at the time I took the pic, the EMT shears were in the range bag with a duplicate set of supplies...., but you are correct... I think I've got an extra pair around here someplace....
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Makes sense to use the petroleum gauze that way, never thought of it.  I have read of using saranwrap for a chest seal as well.  I think I threw in a vaseline gauze pad in mine earlier as a "this looks useful and takes up no space" so now I will have to look.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]
the pack butterfly opens, and one side of the thin vinyl pack is to remain with the gauze (on the outside) to act as the air valve, with the petroleum gauze on the wound...taped on three sides if possible
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:19:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I always prefer nitrile gloves because latex alergies are a posibility and compounding that with an injury can complicate things.

like said above:
shears
4x4 (can never have too many)
Cling rolls 3-4"
vet wrap

best thig is buy a small first aid kit to get the small odds and ends boo boo stuff covered
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Anything that can't be worked on with a CAT or SOF-T tourniquet, chest seals ,combat gauze, izzie bandages, a space blanket, and an NPA doesn't need to be worked on by me.

Tourniquet for uncontrolled bleeding from limbs
Chest seals for open chest wounds
Combat gauze for wounds not amendable by TQ use,such as the groin,neck,buttocks
Izzie bandage to hold pressure on the combat gauze once packed,or for shallow surface wounds that are bleeding
NPA to open a compromised airway
Space blanket to treat hypothermia and shock.  Body temp drops when blood loss occurs and hypothermic blood doesn't clot very well.

I also carry the almost standard trauma shears,Kerlix gauze,medical tape,and gloves.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything that can't be worked on with a CAT or SOF-T tourniquet, chest seals ,combat gauze, izzie bandages, a space blanket, and an NPA doesn't need to be worked on by me.

Tourniquet for uncontrolled bleeding from limbs
Chest seals for open chest wounds
Combat gauze for wounds not amendable by TQ use,such as the groin,neck,buttocks
Izzie bandage to hold pressure on the combat gauze once packed,or for shallow surface wounds that are bleeding
NPA to open a compromised airway
Space blanket to treat hypothermia and shock.  Body temp drops when blood loss occurs and hypothermic blood doesn't clot very well.

I also carry the almost standard trauma shears,Kerlix gauze,medical tape,and gloves.
View Quote

NPA isn't going to help much if there is an airway compromise. we only use them on PT's that need supplemental O2 via bag valve mask because they have a depressed respiratory output and the PT has a gag reflex when trying to insert an OPA. also, when the body temp drops it actually helps with blood loss because the body starts to slow down and draws blood into the core taking it away from the extremities. cold works so well we actually use it to help heart attack victims to slow the heart rate down. its called "code ICE". now, that is only a good thing if rescue is on the way when you are out and about but something to keep in mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top