Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2014 9:37:01 PM EDT
Back before the digital conversion I had a few battery powered small tv's that were great during a power outage but now they don't pick up anything. I would love to get a new one but every make and model I look at the reviews are works perfect and the next says complete POS. I'd like to spend under 100.00 and be able to use an external antenna.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I use an Insignia... don't really know how good it is, as haven't lost power since it's purchase... I fire it up at the beginning of the storm season, and charge its batteries, though I have a dedicated deep discharge 12v that will power it... it sits in my hurricane electronics box... added a rabbit ear antenna, and section of cable to get it to the recliner... a double male adapter to connect it to the regular cable port

adapter

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of the smaller (13" or so) LCD TVs will run off of 12v.  That would require you to have a jump-start or some type of battery backup but they do work well.  Might blow your $100 budget, though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have owned a Haier for a few years (I like it), was forced to replace my old handheld tv after the Digital Transition....now it is a paper weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Haier-HLT71-7-Inch-Handheld-Model/dp/B001E78UQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409087417&sr=8-1&keywords=haier+battery+operated+tv
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some of the smaller (13" or so) LCD TVs will run off of 12v.  That would require you to have a jump-start or some type of battery backup but they do work well.  Might blow your $100 budget, though.
View Quote

I really couldn't find a good TV like you are seeking so I built a 12 volt emergency supply box using a deep cycle battery and started looking for a real TV that runs on 12 volts.  I looked at stuff that truckers use and finally found some things with good reviews.

I have a 16" LED LCD TV that I keep on top of my 12 volt emergency supply box.  It works well.  It breaks the $100 limit though at 117.99.

I bought this antennae to go with it and the combinations is perfect.  $7.45.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top