Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2014 12:25:42 PM EDT
I have a water well with an unknown depth.

In the event of a total power outage for an extended period of time, how would you suggest I go about getting water to the surface?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Generator to run your pump.
Install (ahead of time) deep piston hand pump

Bailer bucket.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for the Simple Pump. Not cheap but a very quality built product. Easy to install with a little help. Ours is down at  180' and has we have water flowing  in 5-6 pumps.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
if the well casing is large enough diameter, you have several options.....if there is a foot valve, and the drop tube can be disconnected from the pump, you should be able to pump water just by raising and lowering the drop tube... if the drop tube is stuck to the casing wall, and hopefully 1 1/4" tube, a PVC deep piston pump should work to about 150' or so...would suggest you remove the cap on the well casing, and determine the depth of the water first...I built this deep piston pump for about $60 using the existing foot valve as I couldn't remove the drop tube by myself...

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
A couple years ago when my well pump went out, I pulled the pump and used a PVC well bucket like this until I could get the pump replaced.

It cost me the price of a 3" cap and a stainless steel bolt, washers and a nut (less than $5)

It worked  well and we had water for drinking, washing and cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple years ago when my well pump went out, I pulled the pump...
View Quote

how deep is your pump?  

because of the foot valve on the pump, there is a column of water 1-1/2" in diameter standing on the pump, to nearly the full depth of the well.  
pulling a pump from 200' down is not something you can do by yourself, by hand.  you need an A-frame derrick, a couple of guys, and a lot of gatorade.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:16:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I just made my own PVC hand pump.

Of course, I "dug" the well by myself as well.  It helps that surface water down here is about 2-4" down, with the hardpan to 'water" sand about 10" down.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a water well with an unknown depth.

In the event of a total power outage for an extended period of time, how would you suggest I go about getting water to the surface?
View Quote

The well buckets are the easiest to use as a back up.  The PVC well pump looks real good. I built a dip bucket out of 3" PVC and a check valve.  I think it was about $10 or 15 bucks with the rope.  

Check the depth of well with a bright flash light and a string with a weight tied to it.  When the you see the reflection of your light 'break' you hit the top of the water.  Mark your string at this point.  Next, lower the weight until you hit the bottom.  Mark the string.  Pull it all out and measure to both marks.  

Post what you find.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:13:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A couple years ago when my well pump went out, I pulled the pump and used a PVC well bucket like this until I could get the pump replaced.

It cost me the price of a 3" cap and a stainless steel bolt, washers and a nut (less than $5)

View Quote

That's a very good idea.  Wouldn't you have to remove the pump first before this would work?

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:17:31 AM EDT
[#11]
My short term plan is to run the well pump with the genny that is hooked up with a transfer box, leaving the genny running and using water as I need it.

Longer term I would run the pump with the genny for short periods of time to fill lots of water containers (and any other quick power needs).

Long, long term I have running water on my property but it isn't close.  I like the idea of the PVC well bucket.....

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's a very good idea.  Wouldn't you have to remove the pump first before this would work?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to pull the pump anyway to replace it.  It was about 110' down, not to bad.

The pump went out on a Saturday evening so we just used the bucket for Sunday and some of Monday until I could replace the pump and reinstall it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

how deep is your pump?  

because of the foot valve on the pump, there is a column of water 1-1/2" in diameter standing on the pump, to nearly the full depth of the well.  

pulling a pump from 200' down is not something you can do by yourself, by hand.  you need an A-frame derrick, a couple of guys, and a lot of gatorade.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

how deep is your pump?  

ar-jedi

My dad and I pulled one by hand from 287'. If I was to do it again it would be with an A-frame and pump puller. Pulling one by hand is one hell of a workout  

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My dad and I pulled one by hand from 287'. If I was to do it again it would be with an A-frame and pump puller. Pulling one by hand is one hell of a workout  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how deep is your pump?  

ar-jedi

This!

My dad also helped me replace my well pump in my previous house which had the pump set at just over 500'...  A workout doesn't even begin to describe it.  I raced motocross for a couple years and even compared to that it was the worst arm pump/ cramp I have ever had. With that said I have seen some use a 50 gallon barrel, and pull it using an ATV if you have room to move...  The 50 gallon barrel acts as the ramp so as not to kink the pipe.  

I would only bother with contraptions if I had to pull it myself,  I would not hesitate to do a 200' one so long as you have a few strong guys that can swap out...  Some times some muscle and just getting it done goes a long ways vs. rigging things.  Like I said 500' was a little to much for two guys but 200 should be easy with three or four.
I would only pull the pump if I had to replace it.  Fortunately for me my current deep well overflows with water!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This!

My dad also helped me replace my well pump in my previous house which had the pump set at just over 500'...  A workout doesn't even begin to describe it.  I raced motocross for a couple years and even compared to that it was the worst arm pump/ cramp I have ever had. With that said I have seen some use a 50 gallon barrel, and pull it using an ATV if you have room to move...  The 50 gallon barrel acts as the ramp so as not to kink the pipe.  

I would only bother with contraptions if I had to pull it myself,  I would not hesitate to do a 200' one so long as you have a few strong guys that can swap out...  Some times some muscle and just getting it done goes a long ways vs. rigging things.  Like I said 500' was a little to much for two guys but 200 should be easy with three or four.

I would only pull the pump if I had to replace it.  Fortunately for me my current deep well overflows with water!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how deep is your pump?  

ar-jedi

This!

Mine went out again a few weeks back and this time I called a plumber I know. He used a pump puller like this. It was really easy to do. I got lucky my pump was good but the wires had rubbed on the casing about 20 feet down and finally cut after 10 years. It was an easy cheap fix.

http://pumppuller.com/model_1977_all_the_best_features_at_the_best_price.htm

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just made my own PVC hand pump.
Of course, I "dug" the well by myself as well.  It helps that surface water down here is about 2-4" down, with the hardpan to 'water" sand about 10" down.
View Quote

Inches?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Been there done that... twice! We were right at 260 if I remember right. Never again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top