Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2014 11:30:53 AM EDT
I have been using a Gerber F.A.S.T., but the locking mechanism has given up the ghost. This is the second identical knife in two years that has suffered the same failure.

Looking for a similar but better knife in the sub-$100 range

Have one that you like?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Had a spring assist (actually, I had 3) that I carried for a number of years. Quite carrying them altogether. Kept going off in my pocket, action would get linty and not work, etc, etc. Went back to folder with finger stud. Right now I carry a simple Gerber. Nothing fancy, but I abuse my knifes too much to get expensive ones
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
http://sport.woot.com/offers/kershaw-tiger-striped-tanto-blur-knife-3?ref=cnt_wp_4_9

Not the best blade type being tanto and 1/2 serrated but this is a good deal on the Kershaw Blur.

Check kershawguy for blemish deals on kershaws and ZT knives
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
F the spring assist... Waved knifes like the emerson or the spyderco are the way to go.  Waved delica is under 100 and will serve you well
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Benchmade griptillian half serrated.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#5]
KERSHAW CLASH $45
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
SOG Flash II.  It's my edc.  Does everything I ask of it.  Holds an edge well.  Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one of these:  http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade585minibarragespringassistedopeningplainedge.aspx

It alternates w/ another benchmade in the edc role.  No complaints.  It has a thumb stud for when the spring mechanism inevitably gets plugged w/ crap.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have one of these:  http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade585minibarragespringassistedopeningplainedge.aspx

It alternates w/ another benchmade in the edc role.  No complaints.  It has a thumb stud for when the spring mechanism inevitably gets plugged w/ crap.

View Quote

great knife! Usually a little more than $100 but worth it. $120 at midwayusa with a $20 off coupon code right now.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Kershaw Leek

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I love the Kersaw's but they really arent very robust. Im not really hard on knives but I do use them. A little heavier and not quite as good in the hand but a much better blade and tougher are the benchmades... but you pay for them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#12]
My Kershaw ZT 0350ST is my favorite knife I have ever owned.

I have a Couple little Kershaw Scallions and I agree those might not be the toughest knives out there but they are still quite good.

The ZT knives, though, are very tough.

It's 3.25" so it's longer than the OP specified (but still legal for concealed carry in most jurisdictions) and it's generally about $150 so it's a bit more than the target price.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Not my picture below, but my edc is a Kershaw Avalanche in s30v.

At its price point, I haven't held anything else that compares. Great grip, even with wet/bloody hands.
I am not a steel expert, but the s30v is great by me.
I also own and enjoy several leeks and blurs.

ETA: Shit! Discontinued. Blur then.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:...Waved knifes like the emerson or the spyderco are the way to go.  Waved delica is under 100 and will serve you well
View Quote

It may not be an answer to the OP's question, but I have to agree. I have a ~$400 microtech troodon otf auto, and as good as it is, it takes back seat to my simple $80 delica with the wave. The delica is faster (really), it doesn't evoke the "omg" flinch from a lot of people that an auto does, it's very good VG-10 steel, and when I lose or break it, which I someday probably will, I'll be out a $90 knife instead of a $400 one. I've already purchased two identical spares for this exact reason.

I also have an Emerson Kerambit with the wave - it was my edc for a couple years - until one of my sons appropriated it (with my blessing) for his own use several years ago. I really like the emerson-licensed kershaw copies of the CQC knives with wave, but being a lefty with a knife they don't work for me. They say they're reversible, but the screws they come with are too short to be mounted on the other side of the knife due to the thickness of the handle material; which isn't an issue on the righty side. The one I bought (before I knew this) isn't a phenomenal knife, but it's a very good knife; and a much better knife than it should be for the silly-low $35-$40 price.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
ZT0350.  Best assisted pocket knife I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
this is what I use.  Not perfect, but the best I can find.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
this is what I use.  Not perfect, but the best I can find.

This is my EDC knife, $50 at Wal-Mart and I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

http://sport.woot.com/offers/kershaw-tiger-striped-tanto-blur-knife-3?ref=cnt_wp_4_9

Not the best blade type being tanto and 1/2 serrated but this is a good deal on the Kershaw Blur.

Check kershawguy for blemish deals on kershaws and ZT knives
View Quote

Bought one of these the last time around. I use it for edc now. Made in USA, nice knife for the money and no worries if it gets lost or broken.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
SOG Flash II.  It's my edc.  Does everything I ask of it.  Holds an edge well.  Just my $.02.
View Quote

My edc as well...its done good for the 29$ I dropped on it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top