Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2014 7:52:55 AM EDT
So if the SHTF I am heading into the everglades. I heard if the power went out in florida there is a 100% death rate from disease (from all the old people dying) and I just want to get away from civilization. A track into the woods is a 10 mile journeyand I am in the wild .... I can hike that during the night.  Also there is thousands of people and we are in a peninsula so the only way to go is up the peninsula.

Question is what should I bring. Have to worry about Alligators, snakes, panthers, bears, boars. I thought about a hammock to sleep in as it gets you off the ground away from most snakes and gators and land based predators.

So what would you pack? I think I would throw a mosquito net and maybe snake guards in there for sure.

BTW this is my first post in years and I had to create a new account as I forgot my old password (may be the account was deleted?)
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#1]
The first thing I would bring is a mountain of experience.

I have a feeling that, even with very good preps, a personal who has no practical experience surviving in the Evergaldes will not make it.

Just my .02.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Watch the "Naked & Afraid" TV program a few times and you will stay the hell out of the glades.  Bugs by the millions, deadly snakes, wet-heat and worst of all lots of disease.  It would be much better to stock up on Canadian money, take a one-day boat trip to the Bahamas and live like a king for the duration.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#3]
That is kinda obvious,
I plan on hunting, Fishing and eating citrus (when I could find)

The biggest problems are wildlife (gator, water moccasins, etc.) the heat and getting proper water and finding shade.

My friends family has a 10,000 acre ranch...could possibly make it out there but its a few days walk.

I know the standard BOB stuff. Just curious what other special items I would need to make it bearable. or ideas to survive better (Like find an island and stay there.)

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Watch the "Naked & Afraid" TV program a few times and you will stay the hell out of the glades.  Bugs by the millions, deadly snakes, wet-heat and worst of all lots of disease.  It would be much better to stock up on Canadian money, take a one-day boat ride to the Bahamas and live like a king for the duration.
View Quote

That would be great, if my 16" leaky boat could make it there lol
The whole point of going out there is getting away from the disease from the dead people and the looting, gangs and crime. Its a 6 hour drive to the GA border. I am at the bottom of the state. I thought about going to the south tip of Florida and trying to live off the beach. The thing with that is being close to the water everything rusts
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#5]
For starters I would bring a canoe. I have canoed/camped in the everglades several times and if you are on foot, I don't think you would get far before you have serious

problems. The sawgrass and mosquitoes are brutal as well as the other things you mentioned. If you started taking weekend trips there now and meet some of the people

that live in the area, they can teach you some pretty neat tricks. I've camped in a lot of places and the everglades is one harsh environment.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#6]
In before Protus...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#7]
The everglades actually only exists south of lake Okeechobee and then spreads east and west as you go further south. Most of florida, between the coasts, is cattle ranches.

And you would need a hammock with the mosquito netting. There are a ton of fish to eat and water won't be a problem as long as you can disinfect it.

However, enjoy the malaria and whatever other diseases you are going to contract. Best plan is to get north and central, away from the coasts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Living off the land is pure fantasy no matter where you try it, and bear in mind that I lived, fished and hunted in S.FL. for years before moving to a better place.  Wild game will be hunted out very quickly after an EOTWAWKI event.  Riots, murder, arson, rape, etc. will quickly destroy many (or all) FL big cities.  Gas stations will be dry or burned out.  But sailboats will still be available for a few days, the wind will keep on blowing and the Bahamas is only a one day sailboat trip from Miami.  But you will need a lot of cash when you get there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#9]
100% deet, at least 5 gallons.  Hip waders.   A duck boat.   Umbrellas and a good quality waterproof tent.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#10]
The best way to survive the Everglades? First thing, GET OUT of the Everglades.

Make your way to the Carolina's. Less bugs, heat, humidity, deadly animals, etc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#11]
That sounds more like a last resort than a plan. I'd stay the hell out of the glades, especially if you are inexperienced there.

I lived in S. FL for 23 years.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That sounds more like a last resort than a plan. I'd stay the hell out of the glades, especially if you are inexperienced there.
I lived in S. FL for 23 years.
View Quote

I was born here and raised here, I have gone fishing and hunting in the glades. I plan on staying out of the swampy parts.

The Seminoles have survived in the glades. In the worst part. They have survived. I guess I should go for a visit :P
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Just guessing...

Industrial mosquito net?

Hammock.

Canoe.

Be prepared to eat all the crawly swimming stuff.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#14]
IMHO, the best prep is to go camping in the 'Glades for a while.  

Mosquitoes are thick.  You need a strategy for them or you will not want to survive.
There's plenty of water.  You need a way to purify it. And move around in it.  Canoe, Kayak, etc.
There's plenty of food.  You need a strategy to harvest it.  Fishing gear?  Bow?  Firearms?  Snake stick?
There are plenty of storms.  You need a strategy for surviving them.  
Things stay wet a lot.  You'll need a strategy for fire for cooking and staying warm.  It gets cold enough to kill you with hypothermia in the winter, or even during storms.

Oh, yeah.  You'll need a strategy to defend yourself against skunkape.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Skeeter juice, .22 for small game and a really good water filter .
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Greyman, you might be over thinking this one a little.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#17]
The Everglades would be just about the LAST place I'd head, no matter how bad it was elsewhere!   The mosquitoes are uncomfortable but the no-see-um's will drive a person insane in short order.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#18]
You may or may not get some ideas from this site, but it's still fun to look at:
http://www.watertribe.com/
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#19]
The mosquitoes alone will drive you insane.
There are a lot of places to go in Florida that I would choose over the Swamp.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Mosquito net
Boat

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#21]
A .308 rifle.

Alligators suck.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#22]
A decent size sail boat?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Stop talking about it and go do it!

Experience is better then any "what should I bring answer".    

Go for walk on the Florida Trail 1,000 miles. That would give you a good foundation for what is needed, carry your SHTF load out the whole 1k miles. You can learn a lot from a long walk.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Wouldn't a boat and getting OUT of Florida be a better choice in your scenario?  While your scenario is slightly far-fetched, a lot of those dead people will own those fancy floaty thingies and won'd be needing them any more.  

If it's JUST a local power outage - getting out of that locale seems smarter than staying.  As others have said - living with snakes, gators, mosquitos, heat and everything else in the glades would be JUST above "shoot yourself in the head" on my disaster plan
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I think into the everglades is the last place I go.

I have a good vehicle, and enough gas to make it somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#26]
My wife and I have had similar discussions. The one thing to remember is that you can't avoid the water completely so some sort of flotation aid would be helpful for crossing larger bodies of water.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I spent a lot of my mispent youth in the swamps and other parts of Fl. Also spent time in the jungle in Panama and Colombia, and I'm a SERE graduate. This is MY comfort level in an environment like that- YMMV. Its an environment with its own unique hazards and benefits- just like anywhere else. this should sum it up for you- from US Army survival training:

S-size up the situation (surroundings, physical condition, equipment)- self explanatory
U-use your senses/ undue haste makes waste- self explanatory
R- remember where you are. Constant vigilance- PAY ATTENTION!
V- vanquish fear and panic- easier said than done
I- improvise (duh)
V- value living (also duh)
A- act like the natives- this means LEARN from them. Like the Seminoles- they learned to thrive in this environment, and they are a wealth of knowledge, also other locals.
L- live by your wits, but for now learn basic skills. You won't do this on a computer. People get good at things by practicing them, act accordingly.

BTW- beaches are on water. This limits escape options.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:12:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:10:33 AM EDT
[#29]
There is a reason why the German POW camps of WWII in the glades, only needed minimum security.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#30]
This should be a fun thread!
I have spent a fair amount of time down there, mountain biking and paddling.

Here is my list, which will be edited:

Shotgun- birds-shot and slugs (for gators/hogs/panthers)
Canoe
Folding Mountain bike
Quality Hammock with mosquito netting
Lightweight Tarps
Folding Solar with rechargeable aa batteries
Solar/Batteries will be used for GPS....cause no land marks makes it really easy to get lost.
Weather radio
Bladder type water containers
RO water filter
Fishing Tackle & small casting net.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In before Protus...
View Quote

and TJ....

How to survive the Everglades?  uh, don't go in.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top