Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 1:21:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I think this relates to a lot of things in normal, day to day life as well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
southernprepper1 is a good guy. I had a question about prepping and he actually called me to discuss it.
When was the last time you ever had someone remotely "famous" take time to call you on the phone?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh Boy, waiting for the next topic of "What Bolt Action For the SHTF"

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Two names of folks who prep...  
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Unicorn_Actual Your name made me laugh for the day thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I really don't want my centuries returning fire unless they need to for the purpose of repelling attack.  Probing fire is not really an occasion to bump fire into the woods.  I would tend to want to use a reaction force to move against the shooters with the century positions giving cover.  Subterfuge is fine but this all seems a bit amateurish.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really don't want my centuries returning fire unless they need to for the purpose of repelling attack.
View Quote

It's impressive enough for a private citizen to have a company of 100 fighters under his command. When you say centuries, exactly how many companies to you command?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's impressive enough for a private citizen to have a company of 100 fighters under his command. When you say centuries, exactly how many companies to you command?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really don't want my centuries returning fire unless they need to for the purpose of repelling attack.

Look outs. Guards. Watchmen. You know what I mean.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really don't want my centuries returning fire unless they need to for the purpose of repelling attack.  Probing fire is not really an occasion to bump fire into the woods.  I would tend to want to use a reaction force to move against the shooters with the century positions giving cover.  Subterfuge is fine but this all seems a bit amateurish.
View Quote

Not only that, how would this "prober" know how to avoid the "kill zones" unless he already knew where the OP/ firing positions were?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sentries, the word you are looking for is sentries old sport. Unless of course you really do have 100 men and that would make you a centurion?

With that said why not line the approaches with fougasse, run the wires to pre-prepared fighting positions, and use the terrain to funnel them into a natural killzone? Sit back and you can blast the hell out of them w/o doing much more than lifting a finger.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not only that, how would this "prober" know how to avoid the "kill zones" unless he already knew where the OP/ firing positions were?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a fantasy video, that's how...  

This will go 87 pages and stuff like how to purify your water, 3 if that.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And I guess nobody has a PVS-14 either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I guess nobody has a PVS-14 either.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Gotta love how preppers take a disaster as a good excuse to just start murdering folk for strolling by their property.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#15]
In poker, it's called slow-playing your hand.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Gotta love how preppers take a disaster as a good excuse to just start murdering folk for strolling by their property.
View Quote
If the SHTF for real, as in TEOTWAWKI, people will not out "strolling" around.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And if they are looking to trade their SHTF gold/silver for a loaf a bread??????

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

And if they are looking to trade their SHTF gold/silver for a loaf a bread??????  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you give them some high speed lead for their gold/silver, and keep your bread

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would assume if they want to trade they would not be sneaking around.  But given the circumstances, I would approach any location with extreme caution.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Why is everyone so damn trigger happy ready to shoot on sight post SHTF? You have to be cautious, yes, VERY, but its "Hey, there is someone! OPEN FIRE!!!!"

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Followed quickly by thread title such as "I missed out on all the cheap Mosins. Tell me how I can make my AR sound like it's a bolt action"
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Couple minor points:

I did not see him as advocating shooting anyone within eyesight

Secondly, his idea about underplaying your capability is pretty good and eminently doable.  Same with selective reaction to probing fire.

Thirdly, the idea that bolt action shooters represent low danger is interestingly wrong.  I have seen plenty of bolt action rifle shooters I wouldn't want to attack.  Semi Auto Poodle Popper operators?  Not near as many.  This is merely what I've seen around here. YMWV  It's the Indian, not the arrow.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

...the idea that bolt action shooters represent low danger is interestingly wrong.  I have seen plenty of bolt action rifle shooters I wouldn't want to attack.  ...

View Quote

One of my granddads had a sporterized 1903 springfield that he used for a deer rifle, that was later passed to my dad then to me.

Granddad was amazingly quick and accurate with that thing.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I like how he figures there will be a couple of guys per post just standing there out in the open that will just pop off a few rounds at the attackers. I would have them in concealment with well constructed hides.  If some guy just popped out of the woods to send a few probing rounds at the house, my guys wouldn't take a shot unless they had a target and they would most likely kill the guy
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Sentries ought to be teenage boys with walkie talkies...but who bike around, or do other chores with their eyes open. No school in session in SHTF so there ought to be plenty of young boys with nothing better to do so make em bike or hike the perimeter, make it a game etc. and they'll be better than grown men sitting in a blind bored out of their mind while worried about wife and kids and career and 401k etc.... allows the men folk to do more useful things.

evil-doers probably won't notice boys riding about on bikes but the boys will notice strangers.

So will little old ladies sitting on a rocker in her porch or anyone along the main route into or out of your neighborhood. I'd bet quite a lot that it's boys who gather intel on our FOBs in Iraq and Afghanistan. Cute kids who walk right up to the perimeter to wave, smile, ask for candy etc. all while they're generally counting heads, noticing where the mines/entrapments are, how many guards are on the wall, how quickly the reaction time is, who's nice and who's serious...who seems 'weak' and who seems tough as nails.... who exposes himself and who stays buttoned up.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#27]
double tap

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I took it as an extremely oversimplified demonstration for the layperson.

The guy's a combat vet of 7 years and was with the 101st. He was in Iraq when we first invaded over a decade ago.

His name is David Kobler. His name is David Kobler...

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#30]
he got out on a medical I think because of his knees. I don't think it was his hehnnnnngggggggnnnnn
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounded like the kind of beer-belly talk I hear at the desk of the local gunshop.

Bunch of "Boy I tell ya here's what gunna happun blah blah blah.."
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

you know how I know you didn't watch even the first couple minutes?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I guess SF is now like GD for character assassination.

No where did he advocate killing anybody for no reason. He was just explaining a tactic.

A little knowledge is a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I have been in a country wide SHTF (2001 El Salvador's twin earthquakes). I got there after the first and before the second. it was a nation-wide area of destruction. lots of little towns and factories wiped out, etc.

When we rode into towns in relief convoys, people were generally well behaved and tired. We didn't roll in armed to the teeth - after 1 week outdoors, they were happy to see us. Kids were playing soccer, women were cooking under shelter. Men were working clearing rubble.

what we had going for us was a network of missionaries who organized the people into families and then gave each family jobs and direction - child care (soccer), cooking, cleaning and rubble removal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
not really

its more of how to not be a dumbass in a defensive position

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#36]
First problem I see with his "probe" idea is the kill range.  Effective range of an AR or AK is 450 to 500m. And for a 3006 it's 1000+. So, does he think people are going to force others to fire from 500 meters away. Most people don't engage when the enemy is more than 300m away. So, to get them to shoot at them they are going to be a lot closer. Also, probing is a dumb approach because the element of surprise is gone.

If I were going to attack a fortified base I would observe from a distance with some good glass. Then I'd get close under cover of darkness and attack at different areas or use distraction as a way to draw their strength to one side.

The concern I have about people giving advice about these things is that they never have been under fire or trained in combat. So, I would ask what his credentials are that make him an expert in this field? Is he military or LE? And, if he is does he have real world experience?  Most likely, he doesn't have any credentials and is a self proclaimed Colonel of a paintball army. But the fact that he owns an AK47 makes him an expert in military tactics.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Followed quickly by thread title such as "I missed out on all the cheap Mosins. Tell me how I can make my AR sound like it's a bolt action"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remove the gas tube?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:00:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only bolt action rifle you can hand out when you inevitably organize your local community into a Ranger Battalion is the Mosin-Nagant.  

I read so on numerous threads.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more. George S. Patton
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The concern I have about people giving advice about these things is that they never have been under fire or trained in combat. So, I would ask what his credentials are that make him an expert in this field? Is he military or LE? And, if he is does he have real world experience?  Most likely, he doesn't have any credentials and is a self proclaimed Colonel of a paintball army. But the fact that he owns an AK47 makes him an expert in military tactics.
View Quote

Not much on getting one's own facts straight before accusing others of not knowing what they're talking about, eh?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's easy. Sell one of your ARs and buy a bolt action

Quoted:
I have been in a country wide SHTF (2001 El Salvador's twin earthquakes). I got there after the first and before the second. it was a nation-wide area of destruction. lots of little towns and factories wiped out, etc.

When we rode into towns in relief convoys, people were generally well behaved and tired. We didn't roll in armed to the teeth - after 1 week outdoors, they were happy to see us. Kids were playing soccer, women were cooking under shelter. Men were working clearing rubble.

what we had going for us was a network of missionaries who organized the people into families and then gave each family jobs and direction - child care (soccer), cooking, cleaning and rubble removal.

Your topic deserves a stand-alone thread with more in-depth accounting than what you gave it here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top