Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2014 1:21:18 PM EDT
22 years ago at this time on this day, i was walking around my neighborhood after Hurricane Andrew had just finished coming through.  

article below is from 2 years ago, interviewing a few people who were my age when Andrew came through.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/22/2963734/on-the-20th-anniversary-children.html'

interesting facts:
interestingly, wind data was re-looked at in 2002, & it was stronger than initially reported at landfall.  peak winds of 193mph on Aug 22.

largest traffic jam in FL history, on I-95 & Turnpike, stretched for 200 miles of people trying to evacuate.

waves of 16.9 feet at the Burger King headquarters in S Miami-Dade County.

wind gusts of 177mph at a home in Perrine (confirmed by data analysis Clemson University).

precipitation of 13.98 inches fell in the Everglades, just a few miles west of my home

sustained winds of 127mph at Tamiami Airport (about 1/2 mile south of where my home was).

In Country Walk (a mile south of my home & just south of the Tamiami Airport) F3-tornado-like damage was observed, mainly as a result of poor construction; winds between 130 and 150 mph were reported

sustained winds of 142mph at Fowey Rocks Lighthouse off the coast of Cutler Bay.

Homestead Air Force Reserve Base was severely damaged, & shuttered for a period of time (to open in a limited capacity some time later).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Andrew_in_Florida

if any members here were present for Andrew, it's something you won't ever forget.  let me know what questions you guys have, if any.  this event, w/ Nat Guard in the streets & no power for two weeks in the Miami August heat/humidity, is something i will never forget.

it's what turned on the light bulb to the idea of prepping.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup... 3 weeks with no power. It sucked!I was 12 or 13.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I was 8ish. I remember standing outside with a big trashbag, probably a 33 gallon or so, and letting the wind catch it and would see how far it would go. We never found those trashbags ever again.

I was living the same place that I live today, In Lake county
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
the day after, I drove down from Ft. Pierce with a Home depot/Food run crammed in my car to where I grew up/ dad's house in Kendall....114th terrace.... It was totalled.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember, it was 100 miles south of me but still was a real big deal.  also homeowners insurance went from 700 to $2000 the next year then to $3400 the year after.  Thanks, hurricane.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the day after, I drove down from Ft. Pierce with a Home depot/Food run crammed in my car to where I grew up/ dad's house in Kendall....114th terrace.... It was totalled.
View Quote

ha!  small, small world.  my parents/my teenage self lived in Kendall as well.  looks like we might have been neighbors in my earlier years, homie.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#6]
some pictures of Andrew, property damage edition:

FL City flattened by Andrew:

multi-story apartment unzipped like a dollhouse:

declaration of will to survive/rebuild spray painted on a damaged house:

2x4 embedded straight through a palm tree by the power of the wind  

i just noticed that splintering of the trunk occurs on the left side of the tree, meaning that the plank was driven from the right side, & almost made it all the way through!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I was living in New Orleans at the time. That was the storm that wouldn't die.

Came across Florida and the Gulf, and then into Louisiana.

Didn't cause the damage it did in FL, but it sure dumped a ton of rain on us.  We had a bit of water and wind damage.

LC
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My best memory of the time is how we all came together and helped each other.

We didn't wait for the city to get to us, everyone pulled out tools and started cutting away trees and clearing roads.  

Things changed after that, now it's eat or be eaten.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My best memory of the time is how we all came together and helped each other.

We didn't wait for the city to get to us, everyone pulled out tools and started cutting away trees and clearing roads.  

Things changed after that, now it's eat or be eaten.

View Quote

It does certainly seem that way.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I was there.  Visiting family in Central FL when it hit.  We lived in Davie.  When it became apparent it would hit, I drove 4 hrs. home, leaving near midnight.  I reinforced and moved what I could, then joined the traffic jam heading north about noon.  It hit that night, and I woke up at 5am to begin watching the coverage.

We went home the following day.  Very minor damage to our home, thankfully.

Went to Home Depot the next day to buy some screen.  Apparently, ours was the southernmost Home Depot open.  The line to check out went clear to the back of the store.  Everyone in line had a generator and an outdoor grill.  Generator to run power tools to make repairs.  Grill so they wouldn't have to eat cold food.  HINT HINT.

Same day (two days after the strike) my wife went down to Homestead to volunteer at our church.  Church sent her down in a bus. She came home that night looking spooked.  She said that from where she was working, she could not see a single standing building, other than our church.  Total devastation.  Like a nuclear bomb (except no burning.)
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, rode it out at the Fountainebleau Hilton on Miami Beach (part of a group of volunteer employees looking after the property).
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Was in National Guard, spent quite a bit of time in Florida City/Homestead. The destruction we saw driving in was unbelievable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#13]
this post contains pictures with a nautical theme.

marina destroyed:

bad day to be a boat owner; some expensive losses:

sailboat on the sidewalk:

sailboat washed up onto the sidwalk:

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Didn't cause the damage it did in FL, but it sure dumped a ton of rain on us.  We had a bit of water and wind damage.

LC
View Quote

It got little coverage in LA because it missed most of the urban areas but was still very nasty.  The eye passed over me, and the winds were still over 120 mph 40 miles later.   It ripped all the shingles off my house and lifted the entire new 30x50 barn roof in one piece and deposited it 150 feet away in my neighbor's lot.  I dragged the barn roof back and used most of it to rebuild the roof, this time with rafter ties (I was young, but I learned).  Most of the area was without power for 5-7 days.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#15]
some idiot i know... was at a hurricane party on the roof of a 5 story building in ft. lauderdale...dressed in a toga....during andrews landfall....there might have been alcohol involved...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#16]
lots of looting happened south of me, in a place called Cutler Ridge, maybe 10-15 minutes highway driving.  i remember some of the neighbors spray painting "You loot, we shoot!" on the plywood of their homes.  fortunately, the looting never made it as far north as where we lived.

looted store:

some looters:

female looter getting some essentials  :

"Andrew's Law" takes effect:    

"Crazy Cuban inside".  the Andrew version of Korean rooftop shopowners? :

more:

warning, six-shooter inside:

watching the Ferguson riots stuff sure reminded me of the days of Andrew.  thankfully, nothing made it to our neighborhood, as i was only a 17 year old kid, & wasn't prepared for anything like that.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Just a few years after Hugo hit us here in SC. I had never seen a hurricane so severe in my lifetime until Hugo, and then you guys got Andrew, which was worse. I don't think I can think of another one until Katrina.

My dad said that Hugo and Andrew were the closest things to Camille he'd ever seen.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
lots of looting happened south of me, in a place called Cutler Ridge, maybe 10-15 minutes highway driving.  i remember some of the neighbors spray painting "You loot, we shoot!" on the plywood of their homes.  fortunately, the looting never made it as far north as where we lived.

some looters:

<snip>
View Quote

A younger version of Lootie!

From Lootie-wiki: Lootie always had an affinity for imported beverages. As a young man, he was very health conscious and only drank the best water he could loot, but as he got older and the trials of looting took their toll, Lootie left behind the refreshing taste of Perrier and turned to Heineken to relieve the aches and pains of daily looting.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#19]
At the time I lived off SW 88th St and SW 132nd Ave in Winston Park. I was eight years old...

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Andrew is what got me in the prepping mindset.

I have said it here before I was drunk for a week or two, I noticed things where different on the island. So one night the bars where almost empty, people huddled around a TV. I was like "Who is this Andrew guy everyone keeps talking about".I then got a crash course in hurricane parties and what the shed full of marine plywood and the holes by my windows where for.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the reminders and history.  I was reading some disaster preparedness updates from my fellow planners here earlier this week, and they noted that complacency amongst new arrivals in particular puts Florida in a dangerous situation.  Millions of new people have moved to FL in the last several years (including myself ), but the lack of major hurricanes means they're all inexperienced and largely unprepared.  Couple that with a certain % of society that is normally mobility-limited and unprepared, and we might have a majority of people who are completely and utterly unprepared to respond when a biggie comes rolling in.  Vegetation has also grown up to high levels again, so there will be more flying objects when the time comes.  The next big one could be fun!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Neighbors pointing shotguns at each other for the privilege of buying the few $40 bags of ice 3 weeks after the storm.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, it really sucked. No power for two or three weeks, on the last week I stayed at my friends house cause I couldn't fall asleep in the heat. I was twenty three. Only thing I miss from that time is my parents.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#24]
My sister was stationed at Homestead.  Off the top of my head all that was left of her house was the slab and the waterbed frame they rode it out under/inside.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#25]
So many times the stealing looting scenario asks 'would you steal necessities in a SHTF environment?'

As you can see from so many pictures of N.O. and above, the shelves are full of medicine and personal products and what is stolen is beer and TVs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#26]
In the picture with the sailboat on the sidewalk - Not sure of all the circumstances but could that lady have been any more foolish?  Walking around in her bare feet after a hurricane in a dress.  That is just top of the line stupid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I was living in Cooper City (Cooper Village off 100th Ave) when it hit. I believe I was 9yo, it was pretty surreal at the time. Never forget it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just a few years after Hugo hit us here in SC. I had never seen a hurricane so severe in my lifetime until Hugo, and then you guys got Andrew, which was worse. I don't think I can think of another one until Katrina.

My dad said that Hugo and Andrew were the closest things to Camille he'd ever seen.
View Quote

I remember Hugo. It was much different than normal, because it came so far inland. We had pretty serious destruction (relative to other storms) all the way in the Charlotte NC area.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In the picture with the sailboat on the sidewalk - Not sure of all the circumstances but could that lady have been any more foolish?  Walking around in her bare feet after a hurricane in a dress.  That is just top of the line stupid.
View Quote

That's the point. I'm sure she didn't just leave her well stocked bunker to go frolic in the mist. Chances are pretty good that she had no options due to being stranded, or having her home/possessions destroyed/looted/inaccessible/etc
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's the point. I'm sure she didn't just leave her well stocked bunker to go frolic in the mist. Chances are pretty good that she had no options due to being stranded, or having her home/possessions destroyed/looted/inaccessible/etc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it is a good illustration isnt it
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:46:42 AM EDT
[#31]
We had a female employee at our ad hoc logistics depot wearing half a dress (dress converted to a skirt.)  Lets say women can't step behind a car door as easy as a man, and porta johns weren't getting pumped.  But she could take a stroll onto the grass.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:27:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm in Miami Lakes, a little north of Homestead and rode it out with some friends.  Had a pretty good party, as I remember it, lol.  My condo had a lot of downed trees and fallen limbs (same with Wilma) and my power was out for 18 hours, but we did alright.  Senator Bob Graham's family started this place years back and so our streets were cleared up pretty much in only a couple of days, so that was nice!

We had a security guard who moonlighted, but was USAF and worked on the ejection seats at Homestead and he had some interesting stories about the roving hoodlum gangs down that way, even when the Nat. Guard was deployed.

I live almost directly underneath Opa-Locka's western approach flight path, 200 yds from its western border and when Bush 41 had to divert from Miami, the day after, he landed here.  It was a sunny day, windows were open and I had the transistor radio going when the announcer mentioned the alternate landing.  No sooner had he finished, I looked out my living room window and there was Air Force One, only a stone's throw a way, perfectly centered, looking like a billion bucks.  

That brought a tear to my eye.

Actually, for Miami Lakes, Wilma was scarier, since it lingered overhead a lot longer, although it was only a Cat. 1-2 when it passed.  Andrew blew through at 22 mph, IIRC.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I was with the 82nd Airborne and we were "deployed" to the Goulds area.  set up on  a waste water treatment plant.  ran patrols both day and night to keep looting down.  problem being, because there was no declaration of marshal law, we were not allowed ammo, or at least that is what we were told.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm in Miami Lakes, a little north of Homestead and rode it out with some friends.  Had a pretty good party, as I remember it, lol.  My condo had a lot of downed trees and fallen limbs (same with Wilma) and my power was out for 18 hours, but we did alright.  Senator Bob Graham's family started this place years back and so our streets were cleared up pretty much in only a couple of days, so that was nice!

We had a security guard who moonlighted, but was USAF and worked on the ejection seats at Homestead and he had some interesting stories about the roving hoodlum gangs down that way, even when the Nat. Guard was deployed.

I live almost directly underneath Opa-Locka's western approach flight path, 200 yds from its western border and when Bush 41 had to divert from Miami, the day after, he landed here.  It was a sunny day, windows were open and I had the transistor radio going when the announcer mentioned the alternate landing.  No sooner had he finished, I looked out my living room window and there was Air Force One, only a stone's throw a way, perfectly centered, looking like a billion bucks.  

That brought a tear to my eye.

Actually, for Miami Lakes, Wilma was scarier, since it lingered overhead a lot longer, although it was only a Cat. 1-2 when it passed.  Andrew blew through at 22 mph, IIRC.

Chris

View Quote

Miami Lakes is not a little north of Homestead. It is on the north end of the County while Homestead is on the south. That is a 45 mile difference.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#35]
The government sent us to the Homestead area to help with the clean up. We spent six weeks or so cutting down trees and cleaning up people's yards. The folks in the nice areas were very appreciative. The ghetto folks threw bricks at us.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It got little coverage in LA because it missed most of the urban areas but was still very nasty.  The eye passed over me, and the winds were still over 120 mph 40 miles later.   It ripped all the shingles off my house and lifted the entire new 30x50 barn roof in one piece and deposited it 150 feet away in my neighbor's lot.  I dragged the barn roof back and used most of it to rebuild the roof, this time with rafter ties (I was young, but I learned).  Most of the area was without power for 5-7 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LC

I was a SO supervisor on duty for a week straight in Lafayette Parish. I remember that night in the southern part of the parish I was standing out in the wind on the side of the road taking a piss and admiring the blue flashes of transformers blowing in the city. My piss was cut short by a stop sign that flew by missing me by about 6 feet. The next day I was tired, hungry and pissed when I came across some shitstains from out of town selling 5 pound bags of ice for $25.00. They had pulled into the SAMs parking lot ( it was just off of I10 at that time) in a refer truck with a big ice for sale sign on it. People were desperate and paying! Anyway, I cuffed said shitstains and let them watch from the back seat of my unit while I gave away their ice. Sometimes God puts a little glimmer of sunshine in desperate situations.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looters... leaving entire racks of medicine and food intact, but making sure they have enough booze for the apocalypse.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Miami Lakes is not a little north of Homestead. It is on the north end of the County while Homestead is on the south. That is a 45 mile difference.
View Quote

It's less than that depending on where in Homestead you want to be, but with a 200 mile wide storm, a few miles here, or there, is insignificant, right?

Chris
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I am an Ohio boy but I was vacationing with my neighbors who had a time share on Sanibel Island when Andrew hit.  I was about 16 at the time.  We ended up going to Orlando after we were told that the Island was being evacuated. I remember the sheer volume of people in that city being palpable. We were lucky and got in to town before all of the hotel rooms were rented (which wasn't long after we got ours). That was quite an experience...
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#40]
[b]Quoted:[/b ]...The next day I was tired, hungry and pissed when I came across some shitstains from out of town selling 5 pound bags of ice for $25.00. They had pulled into the SAMs parking lot ( it was just off of I10 at that time) in a refer truck with a big ice for sale sign on it. People were desperate and paying! Anyway, I cuffed said shitstains and let them watch from the back seat of my unit while I gave away their ice. Sometimes God puts a little glimmer of sunshine in desperate situations.  
View Quote

Where I lived in Gross Tete, shrimpers from the coast that were missed by the storm brought refer trucks and GAVE AWAY FREE ice to people that had no power.  No need for FEMA when good folks take care of each other.  Andrew was what started me prepping by buying a generator for the next hurricane.  I was ready for the little ones, but Katrina and Rita really tested me - I passed the test with high grades thanks to Andrew's lessons.  OH, by the way, FEMA was a no - show in rural areas after those storms, and not really needed or wanted since we take care of ourselves and our neighbors as we've been doing for 100's of years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I flew one of the first airliners into MIA int'l after Andrew. The hotel they put us up in had intact windows, but everything was soaked - carpet, bed, everything. There was no running water, so they gave us bottles to drink. I used the water in the toilet tank for washing.

Went for a stroll, and these are the two things that stood out to me:

Call me racist, but I didn't see a single caucasian, asian or latino looting. The looters were categorically black. And they were behaving like they were at a party, laughing and bringing their kids along. A saw one guy pushing a shopping cart filled with traffic lights, I've wondered ever since why he wanted them. There were lots of cops, but they were just standing around. I asked one of them why, and he said that after the Rodney King riots, they couldn't do a thing.

Walls were covered with the imprints of blown leaves. Some were just smears, but some were perfect images. They looked like green stenciling.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:... I came across some shitstains from out of town selling 5 pound bags of ice for $25.00. They had pulled into the SAMs parking lot ( it was just off of I10 at that time) in a refer truck with a big ice for sale sign on it. People were desperate and paying! Anyway, I cuffed said shitstains and let them watch from the back seat of my unit while I gave away their ice. Sometimes God puts a little glimmer of sunshine in desperate situations.  
View Quote

Not that I'm condoning gouging, but I can't see how confiscating and giving away private property is much better. What law were they breaking?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Call me racist, but I didn't see a single caucasian, asian or latino looting. The looters were categorically black. And they were behaving like they were at a party, laughing and bringing their kids along. A saw one guy pushing a shopping cart filled with traffic lights, I've wondered ever since why he wanted them. There were lots of cops, but they were just standing around. I asked one of them why, and he said that after the Rodney King riots, they couldn't do a thing.
View Quote

Not a racist when you speak the truth.  I am tired of doing the PC dance around the subject.  
Look at the common denominator when it comes to public housing, welfare, riots, looting, gang violence, prison population, knockout game, etc.  At some point something has to give.
I am sure someone will come along to report my post as racism but I just wonder what the solution is?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Not that I'm condoning gouging, but I can't see how confiscating and giving away private property is much better. What law were they breaking?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:... I came across some shitstains from out of town selling 5 pound bags of ice for $25.00. They had pulled into the SAMs parking lot ( it was just off of I10 at that time) in a refer truck with a big ice for sale sign on it. People were desperate and paying! Anyway, I cuffed said shitstains and let them watch from the back seat of my unit while I gave away their ice. Sometimes God puts a little glimmer of sunshine in desperate situations.  

They had no business license or permit to sell. The gas station in the same parking lot was selling ice as well, at a normal price, and was doing it under emergency power. I responded to a complaint. Said shitstains said they did not need a permit, and told me there was nothing I could do about it. So, instead of letting all of that good ice that was so desperately needed, I had some Baptist disaster workers stay with it and hand it out to victims. I've never lost a wink over it. We arrested quite a few "gypsies" during the recovery for similar crap.

ETA: I saw I didn't answer your question about confiscating and giving away private property. Under the law, I was wrong to do that. And I abused my position to get it done. If I wasn't retired, would I do it again? Well, I found myself in a similar situation in the aftermath of hurricane Rita, I'll tell that one later.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hugo was freaky! I remember the footage that played on TV for weeks. Boats piled up like toys, bare flat land where once houses stood  . . .
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I was 8 at the time and had left S. FL a year earlier...

That being said, FL, and especially S. FL is not the same place as back then - I couldn't imagine if a CAT 5 tore through now... The damage would be insane with the number of houses, and it would be utter chaos with the amount of people now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They had no business license or permit to sell. The gas station in the same parking lot was selling ice as well, at a normal price, and was doing it under emergency power. I responded to a complaint. Said shitstains said they did not need a permit, and told me there was nothing I could do about it. So, instead of letting all of that good ice that was so desperately needed, I had some Baptist disaster workers stay with it and hand it out to victims. I've never lost a wink over it. We arrested quite a few "gypsies" during the recovery for similar crap.  

ETA: I saw I didn't answer your question about confiscating and giving away private property. Under the law, I was wrong to do that. And I abused my position to get it done. If I wasn't retired, would I do it again? Well, I found myself in a similar situation in the aftermath of hurricane Rita, I'll tell that one later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That make you a much, much worse criminal than the guys without a business license.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So many times the stealing looting scenario asks 'would you steal necessities in a SHTF environment?'

As you can see from so many pictures of N.O. and above, the shelves are full of medicine and personal products and what is stolen is beer and TVs.
View Quote

That kills me. If it got to that point where I was panicking I would be bagging vitamins, supplements, power bars, canned food, trip antibiotic ointment, bandages, anti diuretics, that sorta shit.

Beer, chips and smokes, and cash from the register. Don't need anything else I guess.

No different than a squad of hoodrats at Costco with a pile of ebt cards. Nothing but cupcakes, chips, soda, energy drinks, pizzas, candy and toilet paper.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:08:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Where I lived in Gross Tete, shrimpers from the coast that were missed by the storm brought refer trucks and GAVE AWAY FREE ice to people that had no power.  No need for FEMA when good folks take care of each other.  Andrew was what started me prepping by buying a generator for the next hurricane.  I was ready for the little ones, but Katrina and Rita really tested me - I passed the test with high grades thanks to Andrew's lessons.  OH, by the way, FEMA was a no - show in rural areas after those storms, and not really needed or wanted since we take care of ourselves and our neighbors as we've been doing for 100's of years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:[/b ]...The next day I was tired, hungry and pissed when I came across some shitstains from out of town selling 5 pound bags of ice for $25.00. They had pulled into the SAMs parking lot ( it was just off of I10 at that time) in a refer truck with a big ice for sale sign on it. People were desperate and paying! Anyway, I cuffed said shitstains and let them watch from the back seat of my unit while I gave away their ice. Sometimes God puts a little glimmer of sunshine in desperate situations.  

Agreed. Cajuns really come together in these bad times. During Rita we were distributing water, mre's and ice in Delcambre, LA. AND, NOBODY wanted or took any more than they needed. Neighborhoods got together and helped with the clean up, cooking, and even sent volunteers to the distribution point to help out. The Guard was stuck out there for a week and a bunch of old Cajun ladies insisted on cooking for them and washing their uniforms. BTW, my wife and I stopped in "Big Head" on our way to see the Tigers whoop up on Sam Houston tonight.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:19:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Thugbuster:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Thugbuster:
Quoted:

So they were operating as a business without the proper papers from the government. You chose to steal their goods. While they were scumbags, JBT thieves are bigger shitstains.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top