BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No guard = poor design for any purpose I have for a knife.  The butter knives in my kitchen have more protection than a mora.
View Quote

Unless you stab a lot of people, a guard does nothing but get in the way.

I love Moras, and my favorite is the 2000. My first impression was that both the sheath and the grind of the blade looked "odd", but I got over that as soon as I started using them.

The sheath is deep and secure, and the leather belt loop flexes when you sit, so it's more comfortable than the usual Mora sheaths with molded-in belt clips.

The blade is wide and with enough belly to be good for everything from skinning a deer to spreading peanut butter. It's thick enough near the hilt so that you aren't going to twist it while carving, and thin enough near the tip to slice tomatoes cleanly. It's sharpened all the way to the hilt, which helps with detail carving work.

Like the 'classic' series Moras with wood handles, the 2000 is comfortable no matter how you hold it.

Knife and sheath together weigh only five ounces. That's light enough to wear as a neck knife, and light enough so that even ultra-light hikers can carry a real knife.

Last but not least, at $30 this is a remarkable bargain. I have a  couple knives that cost ten times as much. They're pretty, but they don't outperform this one, and I'm always worried about losing them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The Norwegians had an ingenious sheath for the knives made for Bergan's by Kongsberg.  Itg would make a good sheath for Moras too.

it is hard to tell how neat it is from these pics:

But it is convertible to a couple of carry methods.  I'll try to find better pics of it.  http://bergans.eu/history

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top