Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2014 8:57:33 PM EDT

these heavy duty water cans from Scepter/LCI also work pretty well for gas. Used them for about 5 years with no anomalies. No leaks.

The only issue is they are slightly more difficult to pour, so have to use a funnel.

You can get beige ones for water and OD for gas, color-coding them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

these heavy duty water cans from Scepter/LCI also work pretty well for gas. Used them for about 5 years with no anomalies. No leaks.

The only issue is they are slightly more difficult to pour, so have to use a funnel.

You can get beige ones for water and OD for gas, color-coding them.

View Quote
unless you added o rings you have leaks.

physics bra

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuel cans have three carrying handles.  Water cans have one.  

That's my hard rule.  I don't want to chance mixing containers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

If you have to do it tho, maybe just paint them red on top.

I think I tried the Scepter water can store gas trick and will have to look, I know I ordered various O-rings to see what fit best.

We moved about 70 gallons of water in them in the past month and I'll tell you this, they seem to want to leak water, even if tightened securely.

This has always been a frustration to me with the water cans, but they are the best thing going....

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuel cans are for fuel.  

Water cans are for water.  

Except the water cans from Atlantic British.  Which are 'cough' for water.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fine...unless you can possibly envision a time you might want to refuel at night, and don't want to draw attention to yourself with light.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's fine...unless you can possibly envision a time you might want to refuel at night, and don't want to draw attention to yourself with light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS

Colors work great.......in the daylight.
But if you are fueling at night without a white light you need to have a tactile form of identification if you are using
the same style can for water, gas and diesel. Could be something as simple as a zip tie on the handle...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
My 20 cans from Deutsch Optik are for gas only, as are my 4 Israeli cans from way back when.

I plan on getting 2-3 of the LCI tan cans for water, just to be sure we don't make coffee with the wrong stuff.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
im pretty sure when you take the top off you know what it is.

less tinfoil

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:29:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

less tinfoil

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

less tinfoil

"Honey?  Did you get the water yet?"
"Not yet, Sugar Plugs!  Still sniffin' containers!"

less snarky
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

less tinfoil

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

less tinfoil

How?  I can't smell, hence I would have to actually either taste it or get someone to smell it for me, both assuming I couldn't see the contents due to low level light.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.  There's plenty of time to get the right containers for the right fuel or water.  Using potable water containers - and thereby forever destroying their usability for potable water - is failing to plan.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.  There's plenty of time to get the right containers for the right fuel or water.  Using potable water containers - and thereby forever destroying their usability for potable water - is failing to plan.
View Quote
bullshit
you and sixtigers are raving like liberals over a solution one person has presented by providing red herring arguments

so what if you cant smell, paint the cans/tie a dog tag to one/ wire the cap to the lid so it wont turn, there are a million ways to make a water can into a gas can that makes excellent alternative storage and safe for use and easily identifiable by any moron.
Using cheap MWC is a option, and a viable one at that as I've demonstrated. Both of you discrediting it over "OMG what if you drink the gas" is laughable and just dumb.
Its not failing to plan, but planning around a limitation.
I guess both of you dont keep TSP/laudry soap/ borax/ at your house because you mike confuse it with sugar right? Do your kids eat the laundry pods because they look like candy?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
bullshit

you and sixtigers are raving like liberals over a solution one person has presented.

so what if you cant smell, paint the cans/tie a dog tag to one/ wire the cap to the lid so it wont turn, there are a million ways to make a water can into a gas can that makes excellent alternative storage and safe for use and easily identifiable by any moron.

Using cheap MWC is a option, and a viable one at that as I've demonstrated. Both of you discrediting it over "OMG what if you drink the gas" is laughable and just dumb.

I guess both of you dont keep TSP/laudry soap/ borax/ at your house because you mike confuse it with sugar right? Do your kids eat the laundry pods because they look like candy?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bullshit

you and sixtigers are raving like liberals over a solution one person has presented.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
bullshit

you and sixtigers are raving like liberals over a solution one person has presented by providing red herring arguments

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bullshit

Perhaps they are commenting on why mil fuel cans have three handles and water cans have one. Its a design that was intentional. For the reasons stated, low light/no light conditions.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Redacted.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Redacted.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Perhaps they are commenting on why mil fuel cans have three handles and water cans have one. Its a design that was intentional. For the reasons stated, low light/no light conditions.

View Quote
My bad

I forgot there were ninjas here that refuel in total darkness so as to not be seen, then start up their loud ass generator in the dark.
There are a lot of things in the mil that do not apply to non mil applications that people like to reference as important, when in fact it doesn't matter at all to the discussion at hand.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My bad

I forgot there were ninjas here that refuel in total darkness so as to not be seen, then start up their loud ass generator in the dark.

There are a lot of things in the mil that do not apply to non mil applications that people like to reference as important, when in fact it doesn't matter at all to the discussion at hand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad

Can you have a discussion without ad hominem attacks?

The point i made is applicable to the discussion. Whether it applies to what you chose is up to you. Sometimes the solution is already there and there isnt a need to reinvent the wheel.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My bad

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad

I try to dumb down my world just because of the non-"ninjas" and idiots around me.   SEE NOT BELOW.  Just like I have written about having a simple set of instructions for a generator to be hooked up and have been mocked "I will always be the one to hook up the generator!"   Well, sorry but there is a reason things are labeled GAS and are green and are labeled WATER and are blue.  It is so that moron co-worker that shows up after the first night of no power can be put to work and not screw shit up.  I just need to be able to keep them useful on a non-ninja level.

NOTE:  This includes me when I am tried, hungry, cold, sick,  and/or annoyed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bullshit

No I'm commenting on the fact that it is stupid to fail to plan.  If this is nothing more than a intellectual exercise, well and good.  But planning to use potable water cans for fuel is moronic i.e. failing to plan.  Note that I never said - despite Taylor's little rant above - the word "OMG, what if you drink the gas?".  So the only real laughable part of this thread is his irrational little tirade.

It's not that hard to buy the right containers to begin with, I think the first sticky in this forum is about gas cans.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#20]
On my old MFCs you didn't have to open them to smell the fuel inside.  Viton gaskets held tight but plastic is still slightly porous.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bullshit

I think it's due to the Metrosexualization of Preppers from watching too many prepping pgms and reading too many fantasy books...  

Along with succumbing to the brainwashing of the myriad of institutions engineered to brainwash EVERYBODY -mostly for political purposes that once become evident to more folks, won't be pretty ---and it will be too late.

ETA, scratch the last part, it's already too late...

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#22]
If they fail to seal completely, they are not good for gasoline storage.
Just buy a can made for it.

http://www.roverparts.com/Promotional/jerry-cans/index.cfm

In an emergency, if you didn't prepare, then OK, use a water can because you have to.  If we're talking about it NOW, then just buy the right shit and don't shoehorn some crap into a position it's not meant to be in.  This is why you plan NOW and don't have to make do LATER, and that's what the posters are saying about planning vs. not above. And they're right.  Why spend time planning now only to buy a fucking water can for gas?  Just buy a gas can for gas; that's why you're doing it now and not waiting until you have no other choice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If they fail to seal completely, they are not good for gasoline storage.

View Quote
go read my thread about it, with a couple o rings they can be just fine for LTS

mwc are cheaper and actually available vice mfcs, I'm sure most are scared off because they say "water" on the outside, and blind johhny w/o sight smell or taste or feeling would drink all the gas just because it said "water" on the outside.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It's not that hard to buy the right containers to begin with, I think the first sticky in this forum is about gas cans.
View Quote
so beside the "water" on the outside what is wrong with them?

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The point i made is applicable to the discussion. Whether it applies to
what you chose is up to you. Sometimes the solution is already there
and there isnt a need to reinvent the wheel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
The point i made is applicable to the discussion. Whether it applies to
what you chose is up to you. Sometimes the solution is already there
and there isnt a need to reinvent the wheel.

Quoted:
Intentional for the MIL.
Do all things military apply to the civilian side?
You can't store gas the way the mil does because you cant get MFCs.
Do most people have both? NO
Do most people have a mil backgorund? NO
Do most even know WTF the handles stand for? very much no.
DO the people that have them know what it means--maybe
Three handles on a water jug is not a universal, like say a stop sign. 99.9% of the population has know idea what that even means'

If you believe that only water can go in them, because it has 3 handles and "thats what the mil does" Don't forget to wear your reflective belt at night during SHTF

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#26]
And the other point I was making about me not being able to smell is that you cannot just blithely assume that everyone can smell.  I don't recall what the condition is called but it isn't all that uncommon, but I don't recall the actual number.

For the record, I can't smell gasoline, diesel, kero, propane, NG, rotten eggs, chlorine (chlorox), ammonia, roadkill, skunk, smoke, BO (either my own or others) and pretty much anything else.  Things like heavy smoke, chlorine or ammonia may irritate my eyes or mucous membranes to give me a hint that something's about, but that's about it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Bad, very bad

the reason scepter water tanks have 1 handle, and fuel cans have three is so that you can tell in the dark what you are grabbing...

My water cans hold water, my fuel cans hold fuel. there is no reason to mix them up
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Intentional for the MIL.

Three handles on a water jug is not a universal, like say a stop sign. 99.9% of the population has know idea what that even means'

If you believe that only water can go in them, because it has 3 handles and "thats what the mil does" Don't forget to wear your reflective belt at night during SHTF

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point i made is applicable to the discussion. Whether it applies to what you chose is up to you. Sometimes the solution is already there and there isnt a need to reinvent the wheel.

Quoted:

Intentional for the MIL.

I bet more people know fuel cans have three handles now since they have been told, at least here. Sometimes it's helpful if people understand why something was designed in a given way. Such as fuel cans vs water cans (tactile and visual difference) then at a minimum they know why.

Whatever though. Doesn't really matter to me what people store anything in.  And most importantly, did I say anything remotely close to "they can't be used for fuel?" I didn't think so.  Nor did I say you can't because "thats what the mil does" . Just providing relevant facts. And obviously this fact is highly irritating to some. Whatever. ...

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#29]
And with three handles it is easier to do a supply chain handing it off to someone else.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are going to use it for fuel tie and cut off zip ties on the handle so you can tell the difference in low light by feel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I bet more people know fuel cans have three handles now since they have been told, at least here. Sometimes it's helpful if people understand why something was designed in a given way. Such as fuel cans vs water cans (tactile and visual difference) then at a minimum they know why.
View Quote

There are 50 some years worth of water cans with three handles on them (that have probably been filled with waste oil some time in the interim.)  Don't assume the 3 handle 1 handle thing has any bearing across the board it only really applies to the current US/Canadian  and British plastic cans.

All water cans.

Plenty of exceptions to the rule out there. Know what system you are comfortable with and make others around you familiar with it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There are 50 some years worth of water cans with three handles on them (that have probably been filled with waste oil some time in the interim.)  Don't assume the 3 handle 1 handle thing has any bearing across the board it only really applies to the current US/Canadian  and British plastic cans.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/159898/104628887/stock-photo-american-military-canister-for-water-of-wwii-time-104628887.jpg

http://www.nexternal.com/armynavy/images/austrian-plastic-water-can3.jpg

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mRbMIOu9FpgD8bqSI_4AXXQ.jpg

http://www.kettenkrad.de/bilder/can_back.jpg

http://www.questmasters.us/sitebuilder/images/German_Water_Can-740x687.jpg

All water cans.

Plenty of exceptions to the rule out there. Know what system you are comfortable with and make others around you familiar with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/159898/104628887/stock-photo-american-military-canister-for-water-of-wwii-time-104628887.jpg

All water cans.

CONTEXT. The discussion is about US water cans.

And I couldn't agree more about being familiar with what you have as well as others who will use them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Not once, ever, has my health been negatively affected by others drinking water out of cans that once held oil or gasoline.  Additionally, I doubt my health, in the future, will ever be affected by others drinking oil or gasoline, straight out of the pump at the local gas station.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Scepter gas cans are unobtanium due to the ban and when you do find them, they cost $100+ each.
It's that stupid EPA restriction that's causing a shortage.

Their water cans are an interesting alternative.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I have had good luck getting the old usgi metal fuel cans for around $30 ea at a surplus store a ways north of me. I buy one donkey dick per two fuel cans. Gives me a few spares. They run $10 ea.  

I've seen fuel sold and stored in old 1 liter water bottles and 2 liter pop bottles.  Not my style. But necessity is the mother of invention.

100$ each seriously? ?? What about with a fuel spout each? What's that go for?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Scepter gas cans are unobtanium due to the ban and when you do find them, they cost $100+ each.

View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/650962_3yr_update_MWC_as_a_MFC.html&light=mfc

still good

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Last I checked Gasoline and diesel fuel had pretty strong odors. So I'm not sure I would confuse the two.

I suppose if you had just been punched in the nose and needed water to rinse the blood off it may be a problem.

I think many folks (including myself) tend to over think common situations  due to a lack of experience in that particular situation. Not dumb, not foolish, just not familiar and so we tend to over think it.

I agree with the poster a few up about O rings and leaks though. Gas cans need to be air tight.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And I couldn't agree more about being familiar with what you have as well as others who will use them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All water cans.

Pics 1 and 3 are US Water cans.  They can be found in steel and aluminum. the Aluminum ones are particularly nice if you can ever find one not spoiled by someone having put waste oil in it.  They have 3 handles so you have the option of carrying it by yourself with the center handle or between two people each holding a handle/and to facilitate handing them off to someone else. (think bucket brigade style or handing them down out of a truck)

http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_jerry_can_metal_water.php

In any event just don't assume 3 handles + fuel 1 = water.  Check if they aren't your cans before you pour it, that kind of goes without saying anyway since it could be Kero or Diesel or waste oil or God knows what.  Then again there is always someone who pours it in without checking...
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can send you the contact for a guy who will sell you scepter MFC cans for $25/ea used.  They need paint removed from them and new gaskets if you want to store gas but they clean up beautiful. I bought 9.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Except for the 5% of males that are red/blue color blind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Well, sorry but there is a reason things are labeled GAS and are green and are labeled WATER and are blue.

Except for the 5% of males that are red/blue color blind.

Well if they are color blind AND illiterate they have Darwin to blame.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Three handles or one, on a survival forum...  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:14:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
exactly

its about what the mil does and not common sense, not having options or applying critical thinking

"bash all new ideas, tear down free thinking, divide and turn on one another, limit risk to appease group think"=SF motto.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITDL53DTJ7I
nice white box and a childish remark

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have had good luck getting the old usgi metal fuel cans for around $30 ea at a surplus store a ways north of me. I buy one donkey dick per two fuel cans. Gives me a few spares. They run $10 ea.  
View Quote

Which donkey dicks do you get? the screw in ones or the clamp in style? I'd like to find a place to get new seals for the clamp in ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top