Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 10:47:58 PM EDT
Starting to get into prepping and I saw on the news that this upcoming winter is supposed to be harsh. What should I start prepping?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Starting to get into prepping and I saw on the news that this upcoming winter is supposed to be harsh. What should I start prepping?
View Quote

I've always been curious how frequently that has been wrong.  Anyone know?  I don't mean whether it'll rain or not but rather seasonally.  Apparantly it says it'll be a bad winter, ok...has it ever been predicted to be a bad winter and it was warm or mild?

As for how to prep...

Snow tires
Hand warmers and blankets in the vehicles
2 backup heat sources that'll last for a month or two
Food
Water
Salt
Shovel
Gas for the snow blower
Candles
Flashlights/batteries
Radios
Deck of cards or bottle of Astroglide...dealer's choice there.

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
you might consider an emergency kerosene or propane space heater, naturally with a way to provide ventilation and a CO detector... I live in Florida and have a Sengoku HMN110 and couple of Mr Heaters.... good sleeping bag for each member of the family
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a fire place, stack the wood deep. During winters here I always keep tow and rachet straps in the truck. Tow straps to help others and rachet straps to help myself if others aren't around. Otherwise, EMT nailed it.

My .02
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Easy to prepare high calorie foods. Also some MRE's or energy bars for the vehicle. I would say bottle water too but that may freeze in the vehicle.  A couple of blankets in the vehicle is always a good thing. Bag of a cat litter
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#5]
DVDs.

Gotta have something to do when you're snowed in.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know where to start...

I think I will start putting film on the windows
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Heat source with a way to ventilate
Repair any weak spot in yout roof now
Generator and fuel, oil, spare parts etc... if you need it.
Good sleeping bags
Snow tires and chains.
Tow straps, cable come along, shovel, and something to provide traction if you get stuck (ICE is your second biggest enemy down there)
Couple salt bags
Couple big sand bags if you have a two wheel drive
High calorie foods
Water source
Savings so that if you have to miss work youre nor hurting too much.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#8]
As far as accuracy, I agree. skeeters  are already dying down indicating a cold, early fall.

Edit to fix autocorrect function.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:19:45 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're talking the really old series of Almanacs, they've been right on the general weather patterns every single year I can remember. They're usually spot on with weather systems too. If it calls for snow in an area from say, Tuesday the 10th until Saturday the 14th, you can bet that area will get snow within two days of the prediction, and that the amounts will be close and it'll last about that long. Same with spring and summer.

Grandparents ( mine were born from 1890-1900 ) used to use them to plant by, along with other natural signs. Even with modern weather forecasting in the 50s-70s, they never paid much attention to the weather man for anything more than additional information.

I can't tell you what to do to prepare. I sort of know, but read the good info from the long time posters. I'm too broke to do much of it, but I do listen.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:11:33 AM EDT
[#10]
For the car: a quantity of cat litter. This is very helpful if you get stuck in snow...it helps you regain traction.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:02:08 AM EDT
[#11]
i had enough of last years cold and snowy winter. this one needs to be more hot and humid
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've always been curious how frequently that has been wrong.  Anyone know?  I don't mean whether it'll rain or not but rather seasonally.  Apparantly it says it'll be a bad winter, ok...has it ever been predicted to be a bad winter and it was warm or mild?

-Emt1581

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

From a news article on Huffington Post's website.

.....The almanac, which has about an 80 percent success rate in its forecasts, employs modern technology but still uses the "secret formula" that founder Robert Thomas devised in 1792. By combining the study of sunspots, prevailing weather patterns and basic meteorology, the almanac's weather staff comes up with a long-range forecast. The temperature deviations are based on 30-year averages compiled by government forecasters.....

Source:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/21/farmers-almanac-cold-winter_n_5695761.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#13]
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=670439

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=630815

Some good general info here.

I love prepping for winter storms. Me and a winter storm is like GD and the zombie apocalypse. I'll be singing a different tune come next February though.

One thing I will say is that I would really look into extra fuel for the generators this year. If we end up with a colder winter than last year's, we could be in for some real problems with the grid. We were dangerously close to a very large blackout last year during the cold snap that extended well into the south.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Come on cooler weather!

Quoted:
As far as accuracy, I agree. skeeters  are already dying down indicating a cold, early fall.  

Edit to fix autocorrect function.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered some of the oil filled electric radiators. Already have a generator that will run the propane central furnace so I'm more worried about running out of propane due to the service issue like we had last year than a total melt down of no electric, no propane, or whatever else.

I'd love to put on a wood stove, but don't have the time to install or put up the wood every year.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I just ordered some of the oil filled electric radiators.
Already have a generator that will run the propane central furnace so I'm more worried about running out of propane due to the service issue like we had last year than a total melt down of no electric, no propane, or whatever else.
I'd love to put on a wood stove, but don't have the time to install or put up the wood every year.
View Quote
We tried those. Be advised that other than being around 100% efficient (no fan) they suck. Any draft and you freeze. They suck power for what gets you warm. They provide heat, but are best for small rooms with no drafts, such as a storage room or pantry or bathroom. Just don't expect too much (other than a high electric bill) is all I am saying.

Get extra igniters for your furnace. They go out a lot and are easy to replace. If you run a pilot, get extra thermocouplers. No reason to be without heat because of a stupid small repair you can fix yourself.

People, SERIOUSLY, find yourselves some kerosene heaters. Put at least 20 gallons of kero, 2 heaters, and spare wicks in storage. They take no power, really don't fail unless you break the globe, spare parts are cheap, and they are stupid reliable.

I live in MN, and can't imagine not having a backup heat source (although most people up here don't. Sheeple....), and kero is probably the perfect technology for emergency heat.

Edit for grammar/spelling. Yikes.

ETA: Link to archived discussion. We bought all these heaters used, and after a good cleaning and new wick were perfectly serviceable. We use them every winter. We paid the most for the perfection, but it was pretty and the Mrs liked it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Snip

View Quote

Yep, electric heat is electric.  I have to be over $2.40 a gallon for propane for Electric to pay for itself.  

House is only 15 years old and very tight.  I'm only going to use them as a general back up.  Also have some Dietz kerosene lanterns that also help.  I'm a bit leery of a large kerosene heater since the house is so tight even with good CO detectors.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#18]
How accurate was the Almanac the past 3 years?

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yep, electric heat is electric.  I have to be over $2.40 a gallon for propane for Electric to pay for itself.  

House is only 15 years old and very tight.  I'm only going to use them as a general back up.  Also have some Dietz kerosene lanterns that also help.  I'm a bit leery of a large kerosene heater since the house is so tight even with good CO detectors.
View Quote
I wouldn't worry. I run 2 detectors myself, just in case. The amount people generally go in and out of the house will provide fresh air, and if need be you can always crack a window just a bit.

I guess being in the business of repairing electronics, I see how often they fail. Lots of parts/electronics in generators and furnaces, so I am am bitter to rely on them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry. I run 2 detectors myself, just in case. The amount people generally go in and out of the house will provide fresh air, and if need be you can always crack a window just a bit.    

I guess being in the business of repairing electronics, I see how often they fail. Lots of parts/electronics in generators and furnaces, so I am am bitter to rely on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm expecting another cold winter personally.  Been real cool here in the midwest this year which has kept the lakes cool for the winter.  It's surprising how much of a heat sink/radiator they are too our weather.

Propane is the most economical for me.  Our contracts are at $1.799 this year but they are limiting our contract volume to the average of the last three years due to the supply issues from last year.  Everything else addition will be at market price and availability. . K1 in my area is also about $4. Which makes electric my second best and then heating with K1.  I still have ~10 gal of K1 on hand just as a deep back up and can get more at the pump.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't have much to add to what was already said other than, if you burn wood then hopefully you already have extra wood stacked in (you should have at least a 2 year supply stacked in no matter what to ensure that you have dry, seasoned wood when needed). Me personally, I have enough wood that I can heat 100% with wood for years to come yet without cutting another piece.

Another piece of advice (great advice for wood-burners) wood-ash is one of the best traction aids I've found. I believe I was put onto this tip by this very forum a couple years ago and it has gotten me out of a pinch on a few occasions that I couldn't get enough traction to get going up a hill etc. I keep a small container of it (taped shut very well) in all the vehicles now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm expecting another cold winter personally.  Been real cool here in the midwest this year which has kept the lakes cool for the winter.  It's surprising how much of a heat sink/radiator they are too our weather.

Propane is the most economical for me.  Our contracts are at $1.799 this year but they are limiting our contract volume to the average of the last three years due to the supply issues from last year.  Everything else addition will be at market price and availability. . K1 in my area is also about $4. Which makes electric my second best and then heating with K1.  I still have ~10 gal of K1 on hand just as a deep back up and can get more at the pump.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just remember with propane to keep extra parts. Regulators, lines, fittings, adapters, thermocouplers, igniters, etc. Lots to go out and give problems.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#24]
An electric radiator saved our ass last winter. Furnace quit on coldest day of 'Polar Vortex'. I had the wife and kids hunkered down in the spare bedroom in the basement with that radiator while worked on the furnace. Thankfully we still had electricity because that was our only back-up. Since then the 22 y/o furnace has been replaced, I have wood stored for the fireplace, and will be getting a non-electric back-up heater. Not sure on propane or Kero yet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I rent an apartment-style condo and have no way to store kerosene. Use of such is prohibited by condo association rules. I have a heavy down comforter, but need to get a sleeping bag. If the furnace went out, I'd head out to a friend's house.

I do need to stock up on canned goods, toilet paper, etc. It's always good to buy those things ahead of the winter, even if not really prepping, as carrying heavy/awkward items when the footing is slippery is bad.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I really want a wood stove for my house. I need to
start doing some reading and research here about
what to buy.

My cabin/BOL has 15 cords of wood on the ground, and
I'd really like to start using more of it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-Emt1581

Dont care who you are...thats funny stuff right there LOL
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Just move to Florida, hot and humid every month.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

-Emt1581

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#31]
We have a gas boiler in our house.  Backups include small electric heaters, propane and kerosene heaters. Kerosene heater works fine as long as I light it and extinguish it on the covered porch - this way I don't have smoke in the house.  

We also have wool gloves, hats, and socks, as well as thermals for each member of the family.  These are more for outdoor activities, but are backups to our backups.  We also have good (not great) cold weather sleeping bags.  Eventually, we'll add some sub-zero sleeping backs.

OP, in all my preps, I try to have a minimum of two layers and in most things, I have 3 to 4 layers.  A backup to my backup to my backup, if you will.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#32]
My extra water froze solid in my truck last year. Had food and blankets under the back seat along with plenty of lighters. Not sure what to do about the water though. Upon further thought I will toss some fire wood in the bed under the cover where it will keep dry and be ready for use. Probably 3 or 4 of those plastic wrapped bundles from the gas station.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My extra water froze solid in my truck last year. Had food and blankets under the back seat along with plenty of lighters. Not sure what to do about the water though. Upon further thought I will toss some fire wood in the bed under the cover where it will keep dry and be ready for use. Probably 3 or 4 of those plastic wrapped bundles from the gas station.

View Quote

Maybe keeping the water in a cooler might insulate it enough to keep it from freezing. I assume you are talking about bottled water.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Keep it in a small cooler.

I keep 8 bottles in my truck year round and never had a problem with freezing.

It does get cold as dung in the middle of winter though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#35]
So to recap:

CAR:

Snow tires
Hand warmers
blankets in the vehicles
quantity of cat litter
Couple salt bags
High calorie foods
Water in cooler
Salt
Shovel
Flashlights/batteries in Car

AT HOME:

Good sleeping bags (or is this for the car?)
Water
Candles
Flashlights/batteries at Home
Radios

Heat source with a way to ventilate: Kero, wood or Propane
IF Kero heaters, 20 gallons of kero, and spare wicks
ALWAYS good CO detectors

Gas for the snow blower
Generator and fuel, oil, spares

Anything else?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I didn't see cooking w/o power.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Suggestions? Pan on Kero heater? Fireplace/Wood Stove pots or camping propane stove?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#38]
How about a tarp for the vehicle?

If you need to change a tire or other repair on the side of the road it might be better to put a tarp on the ground than working right on the ground.

If traveling in isolated areas maybe a bright orange tarp would be a good idea for being found if you get stranded.Draped over the hood or roof. Simple 5 pound weights tied on each corner to hold it in place.

100 feet of paracord.

Duct tape and a few rolls of electrical tape. Can make emergency radiator hose repairs.

A canteen cup you can at least melt snow on the engine if you had to also can gather radiator water from ditch or stream.

How about an old cell phone and charger cord for the cig lighter. Doesn't have to be an active phone cause it will still call 911.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Suggestions? Pan on Kero heater? Fireplace/Wood Stove pots or camping propane stove?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is a link to some kero heaters. In there we "cook" on the perfection, the best candidate of what I have to cook on. It was underwhelming.

I am bias to kero as it is stupid simple technology that simply works. Nothign fancy to make it function (parts wise: regs, fittings, hoses, etc.). Downside is that you have some smoke on startup/shutdown with most appliances. Propane is great as a "primary" backup, but I keep a kero butterfly stove around because it is basically just an oil lamp on steroids.

Propane is great for heating/cooking something up indoors right now. Wood anything is horridly inefficient, and can easily create unneeded heat in many situations, unless you have the stove going anyway, of course!

Your call, of course.

Our setup for emergency cooking, in order of what we do first. Note: We have all electric appliances in the house.

Move to RV (unless winterized at the time). Everything is propane/battery and is super easy to transition to.

Propane camp stove (indoor usable)

Kerosene stove (start in the porch, then indoor usable)

Grill (if during summer, is bumped way up). Our grill burns wood or charcoal.

Alcohol fuel stove (indoor usable, but barely boils water)

DIY a rocket stove

open fire burning sticks
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Thermal Blankets, Space heaters, propane stove, warm clothes and extra food and water. I am not taking any chances and I live down here in AZ...

This was back in 2012 and I was like "Whoa! Snowing in Northern Mexico/Southernmost Arizona? Cool!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Dude you live in Arkansas....buy a coat.

haha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top